Rogue's Gallery CD

Hester

I'm looking forward to this collection of traditional songs of the sea, performed by contemporary folk and alternative artists:

http://www.anti.com/catalog.php?id=67

It's due out on August 22.

I'm particularly intrigued to see that it has a contribution from the elusive and eccentric chanteuse Mary Margaret O'Hara ... not to mention Nick Cave, Eliza Carthy and Lou Reed!

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yep ... recieved the CD yesterday. Must say that I am injoyed every minute that I heard !

I love it that it is hard to hear that which artist is singing ... Bono and Sting sound as drunken mariners :lol: .

5 flintlocks from me

;););););)

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

Unfortunately, I came away very unimpressed. There are some far better arrangements out there by other artists. If you have iTunes, you can find a better cut of almost every song in this collection. For example, "My Son John" is the same song as "Mrs. McGrath" that Bruce Springsteen released a couple months ago and Bruce's is far better. So I would shop around for the cuts.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I have now listened to Mrs. McGrath.... must say that I liked Springsteen´s version also.

But apart from that I still like Rogues' Gallery because it is inconventional in many ways from traditional "Folk"music.... Even though "What shalll we do with the drunken sailor" is a bit for weird for me :rolleyes:

But all in all I still like "Rogues'"

But thanks for telling me about Mrs. McGrath ... Liked it alot aswell

:blink:

Ever open to fresh takes on old tunes I picked this up the other day and freakin' love it. It's raw, spontaneous and unique. If you prefer traditional versions of shanties, it may not be your cup of tea...but I must say some of these covers are remarkably unchanged from the "originals", such as Lowlands Low. Much of it sounds like a dirty, bawdy group of actual drunken sailors wandered into a recording studio. I love that. This will serve as a really nice compare n' contrast piece to all the old Ewan MacColl stuff I have.

For me, the only disappointing thing about this set is that Tom Waits is noticeably absent. Hopefully he'll wash up on Volume 2 in 2007.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Ever open to fresh takes on old tunes I picked this up the other day and freakin' love it. It's raw, spontaneous and unique. If you prefer traditional versions of shanties, it may not be your cup of tea...but I must say some of these covers are remarkably unchanged from the "originals", such as Lowlands Low. Much of it sounds like a dirty, bawdy group of actual drunken sailors wandered into a recording studio. I love that. This will serve as a really nice compare n' contrast piece to all the old Ewan MacColl stuff I have.

For me, the only disappointing thing about this set is that Tom Waits is noticeably absent. Hopefully he'll wash up on Volume 2 in 2007.

Excactly it is a fresh breeze !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi friends, my name is Dean Calin, one of the singers with Bounding Main. We have released two CDs and are working on our third. I've been performing sea shanties since 1995 and am personal friends with many of the Big Name Performers in this genre. I love the traditional stuff and think that it is Important Music, both for our culture and history. That said, Bounding Main delivers traditional sea shanties and maritime music with arrangements for the modern ear. There are people out there like Tom Lewis and David HB Drake and Lee Murdock doing the songs the traditional way and doing them well. It was our choice to perform in Elizabethan mariner costumes (if you want to call us "pirates," okee-dokee) and to write and perform harmonic and theatrical arrangments. That is where I am coming from on this discussion.

Some of the traditional performers are kvetching like mad about this CD: "Johnnie Depp is going to make tons of money with mainstream artists who don't even know what this music is about, when (this traditional artist) and (another traditional artist) have been out on the ships and the cold, getting wet and bringing the history to the people!" My take is that if Mssrs. Depp, Verbinski, et. al. can bring maritime music to the mainstream, it will only benefit ALL of us!

A side note: I actually hold myself responsible for this album. When the film crew was down in the Carribbean filming PotC2 I was able to get a copy of our first CD, "Maiden Voyage" down to them. I thought our song "Derelict" would be perfect for the film, as it is the quintessential pirate tune ("Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum . . ."). I never heard back from them, but the movie started off with the character, Gibbs, drinking from his flask and singing NOT the Xavier Atencio and George S. Brun "A Pirates Life for Me" but "Fifteen men on the Dead Man's Chest, Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum . . ." So, the song, sort of made it into the film. And contemporary interpretations of sea shanties became an album produced by the crew that made the movie. Coincidence? You decide.

Dean Calin

(Cap'n Jake)

Bounding Main

www.boundingmain.com

I love about half of Rogue's Gallery, another quarter or so range from good to indifferent, but there's a handful of songs that I simply can't bear. "Bully in the Alley" is one that just stinks. It sounds like the drunks at the back of the bar that you wish would just shut up.

However, some are real gems. Sting's "Blood Red Roses" is simply incredible, which suprised me since I've never been much of a fan of his. The other real standout in my mind is "Grey Funnel Line" by Jolie Holland. Imagine Billie Holliday singing a sea ballad. I'm also quite fond of "Hog Eye Man," "Haul on the Bowline," and "Hangin' Johnny" by Stan Ridgway (Wall of Voodoo).

David Thomas, founder of Pere Ubu, does "Drunken Sailor" and "Dan Dan." You either love or hate Pere Ubu; I love them. They are extremely challenging, and their work can sometimes barely be called music. But if you like industrial noise, David Thomas and Pere Ubu have been doing it since the early 70's.

:rolleyes:

I also have to plug Bounding Main. They are very highly recommended! They perform generally in the Chicago/Milwaukee area, and other areas in the Midwest. (How about a Minnesota gig folks?) And Dean Calin was one of the folks behind the Port Washington Pirate Festival this year, along with Bilgemunky, who should be well known to all here. The crew of The Fool's Gold, made up in part by Merrydeath, Lady Barbossa, Capt. Pete Straw, The Iron Hook, Red Bess and Myself (hope I didn't leave someone out!) had a great time last June, and plan to have a better time in 07.

I agree with you on "Bully in the Alley"... It's a damned unlistenable mess! Especially after listening to the Court Revelers' fantastic rendition. :)

But I have to admit, I'd much rather listen to The Pyrates of Portobello sing "Drunken Sailor." :rolleyes:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?