Your Pirate kit

capnwilliam

Char cloth is fabric that has been smoked

almost til it's completely been consumed by flame.

What is left is small pieces of black (charred) cloth....

I use a wool or cotton flannel, which when struck by

the sparks created by the flint & steel, create and hold

a glowing ember. This was used to help start fires

(along with sundry other tinder) as well as your pipe.

Also a piece of slow match in a brass, tin or copper

fire tube was used in the same manner.

Hope this answered your question

Cheers

Redhand

:ph34r:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also a piece of slow match in a brass, tin or copper

fire tube was used in the same manner.

Redhand,

That sounds similar to the firetubes carried by the Native Americans when they moved camp. A single coal was packed in green grass and leaves and carried in a bowl or clay tube. The coal would smolder for hours.

Does the slowmatch stay lit? How long could one expect it to last? Or is it just packed to keep it dry?

Rumors of my death were right on the money.

I make my own match and it burns about 10 inches per hour, without wind. Doesn't burn, really. Just glows like a cigarette end. The tube is actually to put it out. Pull it back inside and the match goes out. Otherwise, it takes water to put it out. I normally cut the end and drop it in the gun bucket to be safe.

Hawkyns

:P

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Why, thank'ee, Captain William! I'll do just that--stay curvy, I mean.

Nice to know the world hasn't gone completely to the skinny scalliwags...no thanks to Johnny Depp.

Arrgh! Pass the potatoes, bread and all the other carbohydrate-laden tasties!

:lol:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

What is the recipe for a slowmatch?

I use cotton braided clothesline with the nylon core removed or 3 strand hemp macrame cord, braided wet and let dry. Make a super saturated solution of potassium nitrate in rubbing alcohol (stir it in until it won't dissolve any more). If I'm using white cotton clothesline, I throw in some teabags for colour. Cut the cord into 6 foot sections and soak for about 10 minutes. Hang them over the line and let them dry. They should feel very slightly gritty when dried.

Hawkyns

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Mates, you are posting some really great information that a newcomer like me needs to get his kit assembled.

Hawkyns, I admire the way you have a feeling for the small details. It sounds as though you are a real pirate reenactor!

You and Elias Gedney have much in common; he tries to develop a mindset that he IS his persona; tries to think as that person

would think, and to think about every aspect of "his" life; where does he, as a 16th century mariner, live when he's ashore; where and what does he eat; what does he believe about God; what sort of a family does he have; etc.

This really takes things on a to higher level!

:)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Thank ye, Cap'n William, thank ye kindly.

Yes Elias and I bounce things off each other on occasion. We're in the same barony.

The whole thing is mindset. When I'm getting ready for a major muster, I read period material, stories about the period, listen to period music. I also have a full persona story-home, family, ships, experience, and I reread it before going out. Part of getting in the mindset is having the small details and material culture correct. It's impossible to ditch the 21st century if you see plastic when you go into your tent. Everything non period stays in the car and the key is hidden in a leather pouch where I won't see it. I eat period foods, live a period lifestyle, suffer period discomfort when I'm at a muster.

Matter of fact, I'm in the process of getting ready right now. this weekend is the Grand Muster at St Mary's Cittie, MD. Covers the period from 1580 to 1705. I'll attending as an English sailor of 1590. A couple of people are trying to persuade me to take a digital camera and get some pictures of the camp and kit. Maybe. Not sure that's not stepping out enough to be disturbing to the event.

Hawkyns

B)

rod_21.jpg

Aye Master Hawkyns,

Ye just hit an interesting spot there... the camera thing.

All the folks I work with find my hobbies interesting, and always ask me for pictures.... I never have any! Why? because I don't take one o' them soul stealing devices that weren't invnted yet with me....

Now I do have a few pics that other folks have taken, but those are few and far between.

YA could take th' camera, hide it in the car, and take it out for pics after public hours? If, ye remember ye have it...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

I know the pic is fuzzy, but that's me (my new avatar) in my new hat. It's a plushy riverboat hat with a wired brim (shaped into a tricorne), new flashy trim and an entire feather boa. Voila!

Capt. WE Roberts

WELL!!!

Capt Roberts,

never woulda guessed you for that gorgeous foo foo hat-wedding hat,I presume

it looks really purdy!

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

"Someone/s" could start "Pirate Scouts".....(why on earth was I waste'n me time me young life in Brownies?)(requesting?) I love this sort of thing! The details of life you don't commonly find in books

....thank ye for the "char cloth explaination".....

if ye don't feel like post'n about it, can ye steer me to a book on the subject?....start a new subject?....the practice/details of daily life............what did they use to heal wounds? common dietary knowledge? weapon maintenance, ship maintenance......not all today but as ye have time and tought of it.......

I think i be a mid 18th century pirate, cruising the gulf coast and carribean isles searching for a fat spanish ship laden with treasure.

I have breeches, shirts, to coat, cutlass, and all the basics. Starting to feel the need for a larger ship though...............

I've got some very loosely 1750-1800 garb. I haven't had the time or money to go completely authentic yet, but that will come with time. It lookes a bit more authentic when I'm actually sailing with it, as I'd like t' do more. So far:

Two whiteish shirts (one elaborated with pine tar and other nautical goodness)

Brown loose pants/really long shorts (shirts and shorts hand made by my mother many years ago)

Usually barefoot or with leather sandals, though the sandals aren't period

1860's Naval Cutlass

Brass telescoping spyglasss with leather wrapping

Boatswain's pipe

Leather belt with bone handle knife in leather sheath

Really cool old, iron lock & key that will go on my sea chest one day (when I get one)

Dark blue bandana hand made from an old T-shirt

Healthy supply of sea shanty CDs (for the car ride there and back, sometimes as background music)

Occasionally a vest or jacket supplied by the Lady Washington's "funny bag"

Coastie :ph34r:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

WELL!!!

Capt Roberts,

never woulda guessed you for that gorgeous foo foo hat-wedding hat,I presume

it looks really purdy!

Thank'ee Capn! It is my wedding hat! Sorry if I might've frightened ye or broke ye computin device by revealin' me full face, though it is fuzzy. Blasted camera!

And, I must apologize fer lookin too girly-ish. It's usually not my style, but I must look bee-u-tee-mus for me hitchin.

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Aye Coastie,

Ye have th' fine start of a goode kit...

Iffn' ye like sandals, hope on ta yer favorite search engine (like Google.com) an' put in "Rope Sandals"

Or just go here; http://gurkeesandals.com/

The type I have are th' 'Nepture' style.

I have some that are as close ta period as I could find, they wear well, are very comfortable, and ye can even climb riggin' wi' 'em!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

It's a mite hard for me to say what period I be projectin'.

I have ta say, "fantasy" period fits it best, though I have a lot O' stuff in the 17th-18th Century catagory.

As me First and Best mate says, "there be a fine line between History and Entertainment ...that we have all but erased!"

I had ta take a peek in me bedroom, to figure out just what I have in me collection...(can't be a callin' it a kit no more, on account of thar bein' no work for us pirates for a while now...hope that's a changin'!)

Me bedroom(shared with me First Mate) has a theme...and is chock full o' more collectable pirate crap than a theme park souveiner shoppe.

So, I got me:

abouts 10 shirts, 8 bodices, 2 long coats with gold buttons, 1 long coat in black, 6 hats, with varient plumage, 5 skirts, 4 pairs O' trousers, 3 pair O' black boots(but me bucket boots disintergrated from wear)

for weapons I gots : 2 cat o' nines, 4 1/2 swords, 16 daggers, 1 belayin' pin...and some sort O' antique wooden hammer like thing from a 19th century wooden vessel.

Then thars 4 large chests, numerous uncountable smaller boxes, an oak cask, bunches O' flagons, too many pewter mugs andcups , 2 compasses, 2 brass spyglasses, a sextant, an astrolabe, 4 large iron locks and keys,iron shackles, way too many jolly rogers, writing kit with 2 feather quills and inks, 7 lanterns(includin' two actual antique ship lanterns)2 map and chart cases, and I be sure...many more things I be forgettin' ta add.

'course I not be fool enough to carry ALL this with me, on any given raid...but it be nice to have a choice...and a large collection from which ta pillage from!

I gots me enough ta outfit an entire crew...now alls I need is a ship!

Master Hawkyns, ye be the sort of pirate I ASPIRE to be.

There's a lot to be said for playin' this game as a purely fun and fantasy thing (hell, it's ALL a fantasy, unless you;re mentally ill! :ph34r: ), and if it isn't fun for you, why bother doing it?

But the game can also be played on a higher level; the way the SCA SHOULD operate, the way many role-playing games DO operate: why not aspire to create a persona, and, for the nonce, BECOME that person?

Seems to be seldom done, with pirates. But it would make things more interesting.

Where is your character from? Did he come from a seafarin' family? Or run away to sea? Is he ex-Navy? Ex-merchantman? A former whalin' man, mayhap?

How did he beome a pirate? Did the crew mutiny? Did he sign on while in port? Go willingly? Shanghaied? Was he an honest merchant seaman whose vessel was captured by pirates? Did he "jine" willingly? Rather than die? Did he turn his back on his old shipmates?

Is he religious? Does his conscience bother him?

Does he have aspirations to any other life? Is he somehow salting money away? Does he want nothing from life other than it be a short and merry one?

What does he own? Does he have fond memories/interesting tales to tell howhe came by that cutlass/pistol/dagger/ring/earring/pocket watch/sea chest?

Is he at the forefront in battle? Is he scared? Does it bother him to shed blood?

Etc....

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

'S'teeth, Cap'n. That is a prodigious amount of information and more than enough to bore lots of folk here.

In short, though, it is this.

Born 1550 in Skipton, Yorkshire, apprenticed as a harnessmaker. Through repair work for the Trayned Band, I became interested and joind the band and then the castle garrison. The castle is in the honour of George Clifford, Earl of Cumberland. His Grace outfitted several privateer ships to sail to the West Indies and prey upon the Spanish. I was recruited and sailed on the Elizabeth Bonaventure as a gunner. (The Earl is famous in many ways, another being that he was the one who brought the news of the victory over the Armada to Her Majesty). I fought in the Armada campaign and wherever the Earl's ships went. In time, I worked my way to Master Gunner.

When not at sea, I've received enough prize money to buy a small farm in Craven where my wife lives.

Fighting and killing the dons is right and proper. I'm a member of the Church of England, but not a pious man. I attend service sufficient to avoid the recusancy fines. As a proud Englishman and supporter of Gloriana, it is my duty to defend against the Papists and their plots.

As you can see, my Elizabethan persona is where I put most of my emphasis and there are several notebooks of detail on my shelf. The late 16th/early 17th c are my first love. More privateer/, unofficial navy than golden age pirate. My 18th c persona is relatively new. I'm still working on pulling that together, but it would appear to have left England for the colonies after the first Jacobite Rising.

Hawkyns

rod_21.jpg

Aye, lass! Good plie 'o loot!...and, if'n ye 'ave no use for the caulkin' mallet, sail 'er my way! (19th cent. wooden hammer thing)......... :lol:

Aye! that be what itsa called! Deck seam caulkin' mallet!

Ah...but who be sayin' I have me no good use fer it?

It make a finer and more threaten' weapon fer gettin' me First Mate to do his job. :lol:

Certain better than all them Non-firin' replica flintlocks I own!

It's a mite hard for me to say what period I be projectin'....

I had ta take a peek in me bedroom, to figure out just what I have in me collection...(can't be a callin' it a kit no more, on account of thar bein' no work for us pirates for a while now...hope that's a changin'!)

Me bedroom(shared with me First Mate) has a theme...and is chock full o' more collectable pirate crap than a theme park souveiner shoppe.....

Uh-oh!...I've got a twin!! :huh:

I don't know what age I hail from - probably 18th century. And I'm a free-style pirate if ever there was one!! And I too have a 'room'. 'The Hold', we call it... and before ya all start thinkin' dirty pyrate thoughts, it has nuttin' to do with anything unseemly.

rats. <_<

ANYWAY - it's chock full of all sorts of loot - barrels and kegs, those non-firing replica pistols :rolleyes: , belaying pins and cannon balls, buckets and ropes and blocks (as in 'block and tackle'), 18th century cards and hand-carved dice, sextant, iron shackles, spyglasses, rum ration cup (pilfered from the British Navy), ship's hour glass, shaving kit and housewife, scrimshaw items, wooden bowls and bone-handled utensils, and a whole bunch of other stuff I've collected over the years...even a chest filled with the treasures of the world - primarily cheap costume jewelry and foreign coins that I or others forgot to exchange... :P

Since pirates were sailors first, I doubt they carried much on them while working...too dangerous handling lines and all. But I like to think that they took a few things into town with them...so as far as me kit goes - well, it's part of the room too. Me cat hangs on the wall, pewter and leather tankards/mugs are all over the place, bos'n's whistle, cutlasses, working knife, hand-woven sash, leather belts (ring and buckle types), boots - just shin-high because I have these massive calves I can't get boots over - <_< , billowy shirts, a (black) jerkin (I ALWAYS mispronounce it 'gherkin' - which leaves me in a pickle every time... :blink: )

...now, where was I?? Oh, yeah...sandles if it's hot...and (black) trousers - or pants - or whatever...and (black - real original, huh?) skirts with underslips. And I have a chain of jinglers, and other 'coin' jewelry that I wear in port to display me wealth...

Since I hate the heat (over 65 is hot to me), I don't wear bandanas or hats because they're just too hot...and they tend to pop of me big fat head!!! :o Don't wear coats for the same reason (because they're hot - not because they pop off me head...). But I must admit to one little embarrassing thing...I stole 'Jack Sparrow's' idea and strung beads and other things in me hair...

Ya know - everyone asks me if I do it because I'm trying to look Native American... I just say it's a 'tribute' to someone...and they seem satisfied with that. HOWEVER - two little girls from Quebec saw me and had their mom ask me if I was a pirate!! :lol: We then of course, got into a huge POTC discussion....

<blush>

Anyway - back to the room. I have a 'captain's' desk, chairs and bed, which we use as a sofa since this is our family room. I also have lanterns, a model of the Constitution that my grandfather built, model ships' cannons, writing quill and ink, a mast shave, oakum, a fid, compasses (one which I can hang off me belt) - and I ALMOST bought a caulking mallet yesterday!!!

One of these days I wanna figure out how to put gratings on me ceiling...so it looks as if the room is below decks. (Of course, then I gotta figure out why there are windows in the room with trees on the other side... ;) )

Right now, though - the room takes me back a couple hundred years...and we light the lanterns whenever we watch a ship-oriented movie.

One last thing...Been lookin' fer an astrolabe meself, if ya can steer me in the right direction, I'd much appreciate it!

das

I admit I don' have as much as many o' you fine pyrates, but I'm slowly makin' me collection...

I'm not sure which era my character hails from, but maybe one o ye can advise?

Kit:

-Burgundy and light brown leather bodice. Good fer packin' in me goods, if ya get my meanin'. As good as any sharp weapon.

-Off-white Chemise, with exaggerated long ruffs on the neck and wrists, usually off both shoulders. (Made in India)

-Black trousers/pants (Nothin' special)

-Black bandana

-Black leather bucketed boots (one of me favorite treasures, New York)

-Light rapier with silver hilt basket and scabbard

-Narrow Black leather 6 strap rapier hanger w/ belt and silver buckles

-Wide Black leather belt, silver buckle

-Bottle frog, with bowling pin antique bottle.

-Leather belt pouch

-Black leather thigh length Jacket (For when I dont want to wear the bodice

-Gold/ white sash so the belts dont damage the jacket.

-Elaborate (Asian) Indian gold medallion necklace

-"coin strands" necklace, many other varying necklaces

-Many rings, including a large gold personalized Highline Pirates HS ring

-Large gold hoop earrings

-Black pardon pin

Hair:

-Gold aztec-like beads on leather cording (one long, two medium length)

-two strands of long bone beads

-large dangly 70's earring medallion (Just because it looks pyratical)

-usually as many small random braids as time permits.

and o 'course.. a black jolly roger t-shirt that says "Kiss me, I'm a pirate" <_<

Examples:

Me fancy Chemise

With Jacket-Commencement Bay Maritime Fest

Main garb

Yeah.. uh... ignore the Kitty face in the last one. :rolleyes:

I've been thinkin' about adding some Native American touches to the garb. As I see it, my character is the love child of a Pirate and a young Cherokee maiden. <_<

Suggestions? Pyratical must-haves?

Good Plunderin', me lovelies!

~Dreamie~

"Ah, the city.. with all it's people and their accumulated wealth, yes?"

-Yoshimo

www.Dreamie.org

LilJackban.gif