Your Pirate kit

capnwilliam

I just read Hawkyns' post on another forum (SCA-Nautical - heartily recommended for anything nautical pre-17th century) about his 16th century kit, and it set me a-thinkin'...

...what era pirate are ye, and what sort of kit, or gear, do ye use fer yer impression? I mean, the whole shebang; weapons, working knives, hats, frock coats, tents, shirts, smoking items, bottles, lamps, pocket watches, quill pens, belaying pins, etc.

Also, do you consider yourself primarily an historically authentic reenactor with a pirate persona? Or are you primarily a free-form pirate?

To start the discussion: I'm a newbie, so don't have much stuff yet. I've got me sights set on being primarily a reenactor: one of Jean Laffite's Baratarians, but also want to create a secondary fun persona, not emphasizing historical accuracy.

So far I have a bandana (wow! :ph34r: ), Mate Jan is making me some a shirt ,and then some strioed trousers. A buckskinner friend is forging me a sailor's sheath knife. I have a powder horn and possibles bag, made by a living history (full time) reenactor. I have a couple small horns that I intend to fashion into priming horns (all this for the flintlock pistol that I don't own yet!)

We have some ship's lanterns left over from our SCA days. And a couple of belaying pins.

A few folding knives, but I've also ordered a squared-off-blade folder from Ragnar's Forge.

When Mddlesex Village Trading Compannie gets back to me with their mailing address, I'll be submitting an order for a straight-bladed cutlass, suitable for my 1815 impression.

A couple pair of high boots from my SCA era; one smooth leather, one suede (latter best left for the "fun" impression).

Not much yet, as you can see.

What about you?

:ph34r:

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I be a Golden age of Piracy type. I have a few pairs of breeches, shirt, vest, pair of boots, cutlass, boot knife, couple of lanterns, head scarf, quill, ink journal and travel box, wax and seal. Bout it so far bout growing

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Mine's a mix, but I focus on the Golden Age...no dresses, though! :ph34r:

I have breeches, boots, ruffled shirts, a cutlass, tricornes, cavalier hats, loads of feathers and flashy trim, sashes and wide belts, draw-string money pouches, frock coats, a Spanish-inspired blunderbuss (non-firing replica) and other little touches that I have added over the years. I wrapped rope around a simple tankard and made it "antiqued". You know...the budget pirate look. Poor...hungry. Scratch hungry. I'm a little too curvy to be looked at as hungry. :ph34r:

Heh, heh.

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

.. A mix for me too. French colonial Captains hat with Macaw feathers, Militia naval coat & waistcoat, sailors white shirt 'n breeches, boots and footwear vary, shipboard,eh?..1807 'lock, War 'o 1812 buckle, various blades..USN officers, French Naval cutlass, various dirks, daggers, knives..Gotta leave the mugs and period stuff on the Ship,not me..always want more pirate stuff.(more cannons)....

I have two different pirate time periods.

the first is 1590-1650 and I portray a mixed experience,late period barbary pirate.

I wear a simple head scarf or an islamic zealot's hat (plundered in personae/made myself in reality)

me shirts are basic worker shirts-blue,rust and used-to-be white :)

bare feet,sandals or tabi.sometimes boots.

chinese cutlass

patchwork sheep's elbow vest.

islamic tied knee breeches or harem pants

hooded cloak

silk sash

small eating dagger/tiny fighting knife

2 persian style knives

shackles

leather strand flogger

the second is loosely golden age

many different silk scarves.

I usually wear a chinese blue silk wide bandana style scarf under my tricorn.

black felt tricorn with modern gold trim sewed on with antique 30% gold bullion thread (a nasty jumbo bitch to sew with) and lots of black marabu feathers.

5 silk shirts-some with frilly collars and some with straight collars.I like the off blue one best.

vest-blue,white and gray vertical stripes.

4 simple slops-red velvet are my favorite-brown n white wool for cold weather-blue n white vert stripes-black

leather gloves for lookin pretty

black boots-bare feet

antique purple silk sash

leather,silk,satin,cotton etc bags-too many to ever find much less count em-hehe

chinese cutlass

curved long knife

working sailor's folding knife with straight blade,marlin spike n wrench-on a pretty lanyard I knotted.

awls,fids/marlin spikes

seam rubber

large wood mallet

draw knife

some cheap tankards

cute litte tin cups

various silver and pewter plates

sailor's palm

good english sail needles and lots of cheap ones

naval weight braided leather cat o nine tails with pretty knotwork on the handle

shackles

several sailor's line flog ropes

I am also making a small camp ship replica with almost working rigging of a naval sloop.got the main mast crudely made with the main yard and the main topsl yard.just have the very basic standing rigging done as well as the yard lifts.workin on me own recipe fer riggin tar=evil,nasty,sweet smellin stuff.

got so much 'stuff' that who knows what I forgot

also got lots of modern cute piratey things with various forms of the jolly roger=metal lunchbox,socks,bandana,wristbands,necklaces.

and many,many skulls=plastic,metal and various animals

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

Well, yeeha, Captain Weaver!

You are definitely a piratin' kind of person! You have a virtual treasure trove of goodies there!

I'm going to bed, now. I'm starting to sound drunk, and I can't spell without backspacing and trying again.

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Yes, I am a pirate, two hundred years too late

The cannons don’t thunder, there’s nothin’ to plunder

I’m an over-forty victim of fate

But I’ve done a bit of smugglin’, I’ve run my share of grass

Made enough money to buy miami, but I pissed it away so fast

I have been drunk now for over two weeks,

Passed out and I rallied and I sprung a few leaks

But I’ve got stop wishin’, got to go fishin’

I’m down to rock bottom again

Just a few friends, just a few friends

icon_yaelfish.gif

Well I have two impressions

1595-

canvas shirt

blue wool venetians or linen canvas slops

leather or linen sleeveless jerkin

claret blanket wool cassack

thrumm cap

3 lb monmouth cap

wool cut hose and knitted garters

leather latchet shoes

bucket top boots

oilskin cloak

wool cloak

bollock knife

cutlass

matchlock musket

wheellock carbine and wheellock pistol

gunners tools- Mary Rose linstock, vent pricks, quadrant

1720-

striped ticking shirt

linen canvas slops

red wool weskit

rose linen weskit

linen canvas sailor's jacket

red and black silk scarves

grey tricorn

knitted wool hose

black leather shoes

just ordered a Billy Bones overcoat from Bradley

hausewehr belt knife

cutlass

brass barrelled blunderbuss

3 pistols, 5" 9"and 12" barrels

gunners tools- vent pricks, linstocks, quadrants, calipers

Multiple small items-compasses, pipes, facsimile books, sea chests, etc.

4 cannon- 3 pdr, 2pdr, 1 pdr swivel, 24pdr mortar

I have a couple of tents, depending on who is with me for an event, but on my own I try to camp with a piece of canvas and a rope stretched over crossed oars to form a 3 sided open front lean-to.

Gots lots of other stuff that I rarely use anymore. Found better kit, or better documentation. I'm definitely a re-enactor, all my kit has to be historically accurate and real working kit.

Hawkyns

B)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Thank ye, Sir! Much appreciated. Remember though, I'd only be doing one impression at a time so only have half the list and most of each one is clothing I'd be wearing. I can fit all my nonworn stuff into a small seachest and a small ditty bag, other than the long weapons. Very liitle room at all.

Hawkyns

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

We had a dressing up day at school the other day and the staff decided to be pyrates. So... loose trousers we could roll up, stripey tee shirts, bandanas, a belt, and plenty of scars, courtesy of someone's eyebrow pencil. The kids loved it. oh, and of course, lots of shouting.

Artie.

and this post makes me a mate.

grogs on me lads!

I'm a pirate in the most general sense...definitely not a reenactor. I got into pirate after working as an improv actor for a long time at faire. Blackeye Susan is just another faire character that hasn't been played yet. Her first official role is navigator of my brother's "ship" in an upcoming event. He thought it would be funny if I were navigator since when the two of us get in a car together we get lost going to my parents' house. Since she's pretty new and I'm a struggling student, gear is pretty light. Old basics from faire costumes. A black leather bodice. A cavalier. Several sashes. A wide belt. A dagger frog(but sadly no more dagger) and several belt pouches. I'm working on disecting and reassembling a leather coat that's way too big for me that I got cheap at the salv-a, and a pair of ankle boots(or sandals). I have no weapons at the moment(but I do have a poison ring). I've got my recorders and other tooty things. The only additions I hope to add in the near future are some maps, a compass, a spyglass, and if I were really lucky(which I'm not) a nice concertina. Now I must go write a paper. Yarg!

-Blackeye Susan

I have various nautical things about the house, sketches, patterns and some fabric.....a sword (wrong type probably....curved for dancing )....lots of ethnic jewelry and bits and pieces of leather, buckles, amber (well traveled pirate) books (and books and books) and fabric for a flag.....Oh, I finished the "Jolly" wine glass...not too piratical....but I was wondering, reading SeaHawke's post about PotC.....how did they start the fire? now...to my question.........

What would a pirate have carried for her/his essentials in the golden age of piracy? (aside from tak'n anything they need as they go along) what items would have been considered important for comfort or survival?

Brings up a question..shipboard pirates, or 'in town' pirates....Onboard, any and all that would fit in a seabag..chests were mainly for them with swag

undefined

Oh, definitely at sea. Not sure about the chests, though. Certainly the Mary Rose had plenty of sea chests. There seems to be a fair amount of documentation for sea chests throughout the period. Sea bags appear to be more of a navy idea and from the later 18th and 19th C.

Hawkyns

:lol:

rod_21.jpg

Aye...

I be th' reenactor type, jus' ask Hawkyns....

More r' less 17th n' 18th Century...

Cotton n' Linnen shirts, no frills

Blue Wool wesket with linnen back, a few fancy tapestry patterned weskets...

cotton canvas slop trousers, plain white drop front and blue n' white stripped standard fly.

Wool knee breeches, mostly black or dark grey.

More leather belts with brass buckles than I need fer hangin' e'ery thing off of...

thick cotton stalkings, mostly white, some black, and a red pair...

Tall boots or rope sandals

Hats, a cavalier wi' plumes, an' a by-corn wi' white edging - both black felt hats

Several different cutlass/hangers

several different knives n' daggers

a Brown Bess flinter musket

a tower flinter pistol

a few spyglasses, pouches, a barrel top chest locked wi' a big iron lock fer all me swag!

Prolly more tha' I can nay remember....

Oh yea, Bo'sun pipe r' two and most important, me St Barbara's Medal!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Let's see:

I actually have a small coffin I use as a Pirate box:

3 shirts

2 6 button pants

1 13 button drop fronts

1 breaches

2 pair boots

2 scarfs

1 hat

2 pair of tights

2 .53 flint lock pistols

1 .45 cap lock derringer

1 cutlass

3 daggers

2 utility knives

2 rapiers

1 signal cannon

10 ft flag pole with "Texican Privateers" Jolly Roger

and many other asundrious items

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

I'm definately in the crowd with Hawkyns & Dorian,

most of my kit is early to mid 18th century...which

is my area of interest, along with most anything

in that time period of 1690 to 1790.

My kit consists of several linen & cotton shirts

both plain & checked.

a couple of wool and linen weskits

seveal pairs if wool & cotton hose

a pair of brown wool breeches

many colored silk scarves

a pair of shoes w/ ribbon ties (no buckles)

a sleeved weskit

various sashes and belts

several forged belt knives

a couple of period folding knives

a 62 cal. pistol

a 62 cal. fowler

and a long land pattern British musket

and one 1700 style military cutlass

1 black tricorne

plus various cartouche boxes

powder horns shot pouches & etc.

working on a pair of slops

a early bucket sleeved work jacket

and a brown wool watchcoat

Cheers!

Redhand

:lol:

Brings up a question..shipboard pirates, or 'in town' pirates....Onboard, any and all that would fit in a seabag..chests were mainly for them with swag......in town, 'eck, wot ever the plunder, the sky bein' the limit......

More from a curiosity of historical daily life...what would a pirate-ing person of that time consider desirable for daily needs and comforts?...(any books address this?) what did they light candles (fires) with? would they carry their own medicines?....maps....toothpicks? or did it all come down to clothing and booty?

More from a curiosity of historical daily life...what would a pirate-ing person of that time consider desirable for daily needs and comforts?...(any books address this?) what did they light candles (fires) with? would they carry their own medicines?....maps....toothpicks? or did it all come down to clothing and booty?

That's one of those real vague questions- depends on time, place, and personality. Especially in the earlier periods, 16th/17th c, pirates were much the same as other mariners. Could go on the account or on a trade voyage. Depends on the captain, crew and opportunity.

So their ideas of comfort would not be particularly different from any other mariners.

Fire was the great fear, so there wouldn't be much call to light lanterns on ship. When you did, it would be flint and steel. My f&s kit has a small firesteel, chunk of flint, tow, charcloth, small beeswax candle and e couple of inches of slowmatch, all in a brass box about the size of a playing card and 3/4" thick. I've found slowmatch is best for lighting my pipe. Doesn't go out in the wind and doesn't throw flame everywhere.

I carry a small box of herbal remedies with me, peppermint tea, candied ginger and some cold and cough mixtures that I get from the local herbalist.

A twist of tobacco, a small jug of spirits, deck of cards, and my journal pretty much rounds out the comfort items.

Everything else in the chest is practical. Sewing kit, gunners tools, musket maintainance, gunnery books, and spare shirt and slops.

Hawkyns

rod_21.jpg