Green Bay, Wisconsin

Red Bess

We're off to Green Bay for the Tall Ship Festival this weekend. We will be there 7/29-7/31. While I suspect that the Festival will take most of our time, I was wondering if there are any other "must see" attractions in Green Bay. I was there 20 years ago, in December, to watch the Vikings play the Packers on the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field. Don't remember a thing about the town. So it will be all new to me. It's a family trip, so anything we do has to include the kids.

(By the way, we're Vikings fans, so we'll be steering clear of any Packer attractions. ) :lol:

Hello and greetings Red Bess,

I live 'tween' the Beer City of Milwaukee and the "Great Frozen Bay". I, too, plan to venture up to the Tall Ship event in Green Bay this weekend (Sunday...I am hoping). Perhaps we will be lucky and meet up with each other....though, the crowds may make that a bit difficult.

The city of Green Bay offers a lot in dining, shopping, SPORTS, and other family activities. I am sure that you will find something to your liking. And by the way, I would whisper low and soft about that Viking issue. The locals are just mad about their Football team...alas, I've lived here for over 10 years and still don't understand the 'pull' the Packers Fans have with their team.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Yahoo Travel on Bay Beach Amusement Park

Ahoy Matey,

If yer taken the kids, ye have to visit Bay Beach Amusement Park in Green Bay. Listed above is a link on the Yahoo Travel site to give ye the navigational points and reviews from others. Ifn ye like old historical sites, you'll like Bay Beach Amusement Park.

Former Cheese Head,

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

BHP, I didn't know you were a transplanted Midwesterner! Thanks for the scoop on Beach Bay -- it does look like something the kids would love, so we'll check it out.

transplanted?

Nay, I sail the winds to where ever it can take me. :lol: Border to Border, Ocean to Ocean. I want to see it all!

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

My plans got Broadsidded today. I have run aground on a reef and we are throwing out the anchor to try to pull ourselves off at high tide. I hope to be there on Sun now.

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

Avast, ya scallywags!....Guess it's about time for an update from the log, eh?....ROYALISTE headed north from Bay City under full sail, actually having quite a 'race' with the schooner MADELINE, thru the Straits 'o Mackinaw, and accross Lake Michigan, making course for Green Bay, then.......A humongus storm crossed Green Bay, with a few tornadoes and over 70 knots of wind..Helming was a bitch for meself, Kat, and Localolita as we did our best to weather it out....morning came, the storm slackened, and we made safe harbor in a small port...after a four hour rest, we went to leave, and..the storm had shook up the ship enough to plug the fuel system all the way thru the injectors....We are now in the festival at Green Bay, with the best hopes of the engine repair ending sometime monday. This morn, another storm hit all of us here at the docks, but we're drying out wot we can, and the show will continue with the Pyrate Ship ROYALISTE broadsiding the citizenry!!......Aye, then on to Chicago, maytees..........

:lol:

ROYALISTE Tougher Than the Average Bunch 'o Scallywags..........

A great day was had by myself at the event. Some very beautiful ships I got on board a few and got some great pics. I didn't get to see a single on of you all there though. I don't have the plauge and scurvy isn't catching. You all afraid of me? :huh:

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

Aye Captain, I see ye have yer all women crew onboard again. Good to hear that ye made it through the storms on the lake there. The storms be quite different from the ocean as the waves rock back and forth from shore to shore.

When yer on yer way to Chicago, keep in mind the train ferry Badger makes her way from Kewaunee, WI to Lansing, MI just south of White Fish Bay. I believe she makes port in Kewaunee in the afternoons.

Fair Winds and Calm Seas,

~Black Hearted Pearl

Aye, 'Pearl, the 'women' be all onboard, including my granddaughter Sadie, and Ashley and Sammy, two family friend's offspring!...Also four men, altho' I'm marroonin' one here as I came back from dinner to find him aloft without permission....And maytee, as far as 'afraid', why, we fear neither man nor ship, and ye must be a wee bit deaf, as we've been firin' carronade broadsides throughout the festival!.........On to Chicago on the mornin' 'tide', then on to Port Huron!..........

:ph34r:

Just returned from Green Bay -- oh, what a fine time we had!! A great big THANK YOU to the Royaliste -- such hospitality!! It was a pleasure to meet you, Capt Gary, and Kathy treated us like celebrity! She plucked us out of the line, introduced us to Gary, then took us aboard and held back the rest of the visitors while we got a few private moments to explore, take pictures, etc. WOW! What a treat! It was the highlight of the weekend! Thank you again!!

The whole event was incredible. We were there on Sunday and Monday (sorry we miss ye, Bilgemunky and Johnny Tarr). Even with the heat (102) it was a wonderful event. We saw some great musical performers (Tom Lewis, Bounding Main, David HB Drake, Tom & Chris Kastle) and toured all the ships that were open to tour. We took a ton of pictures, which we will hopefully get posted later today.

To anyone considering going to Tall Ships Chicago - do it!!! :lol::P