Me new barrel came today!

You can see a picture of it here, whatever it is. At 2 liters capacity it's just the perfect size, big enough to actually use, small enough to carry easily. It's about the size of an American football with the ends knocked off.

I bought it partly so I could have my own barrel (or cask or keg -- just what do you call a barrel this tiny anyway?) The secondary reason I got it was so I could carry my "rum" in something other than a bottle, sort of like having a pyratical canteen.

I have a coupla questions regarding how I can "dress it up" without severely impairing the authenticity of the thing. Was there a common way to attach a shoulder strap of some sort to a barrel to allow easy carry? Should I leave it plain, or should I paint "RHUM" or "XXX" on it somehere? Any other suggestions?

I'm most impressed with your purchase. Thanks for the tip on the vendor.

Billy Flynt

Blackbeard's Crew

Master of Events

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. " - Mark Twain

Ooh!

I just read the vendor's "Aging Tips". This thingy is charred on the inside and will add flavor to your spirit.

Visions of "improving" cheap grog dance enticingly before me!

It has to beat that dash of Liquid Smoke I accidentally tossed in my drink the other night - damn bottle pretended to be bitters!

Am I seeing double, or does the vendor list the same dimensions for both this and the 1 liter barrel-keg-cask-a-mah-jiggit?

They do seem a bit confused don't they? I took my tape measure and double-checked the actual dimensions, and it's really 7.5 inches long, disregarding the spout. The ends are 5 inches in diameter and the middle appears to be 5.5 inches in diameter. It comes with the stand you see in the picture.

The spigot valve and stopper are both of wood and come wrapped very tightly in stretch-wrap. They are not shipped attached to the keg so take care when opening the box. You just might discover you've thrown these two important items out with the shredded paper it was packed in.

After following the directions to prepare the cask for use, I discovered evidence that the interior may be sealed with wax. You may wish to leave off filling it with boilng water that first time if you're only planning to fill it with water. :P

They do seem a bit confused don't they? I took my tape measure and double-checked the actual dimensions, and it's really 7.5 inches long, disregarding the spout. The ends are 5 inches in diameter and the middle appears to be 5.5 inches in diameter. It comes with the stand you see in the picture.

The spigot valve and stopper are both of wood and come wrapped very tightly in stretch-wrap. They are not shipped attached to the keg so take care when opening the box. You just might discover you've thrown these two important items out with the shredded paper it was packed in.

Ahh wot will it matter after the first few swiggs of yer grog as ye sink back into ye reclinner lad ! :(

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice stuff. I wouldn't decorate it much as casks (not going to bother nit picking over correct term) are/were mostly functional. The equivalent of a milk jug really. However, some aging might look really good. I'm not sure what the best material would be for doing this but if it were mine I might try a boiled linseed oil/pine tar/japan dryer combination with perhaps a little turpentine in there to help it soak in to the woods surface a bit. It won't penetrate very deeply but it will penetrate some so be very careful if this is to be a container that you will store liquids in.

Ropework_Header.jpg