'candles'

Scurvvy Sam

I was wondering if anyone knew how to make or where to get what was referred to as candles. The candles that are spoken of that Blackbeard wore under his hat? They seem more like punks to me as some thing that is lit and blown out but used to light fuses as opposed to the candles whe have today. Any help would be great. Thanx

:P

It was slow match...... used to light cannons..... basicaly rope soaked (or not..... it still works) in saltpeter.....

Not period.... but incense stuck under your hat will do the same thing.... and it smells better...... just don't catch your hair on fire..... :P

Not period.... but incense stuck under your hat will do the same thing.... and it smells better...... just don't catch your hair on fire..... :P

AIIEEEEEGH! It's Patchouli Pete! And he's ta windward! Run, lads, if ye value yer olfactory capacity!

That's the guy who cures the foodstuff.

"Hey Peter, come over here, we need to salt down more meat!"

Seriously, if you are a citizen of the US of A, you'd be wise to reconsider buying saltpeter. It may result in a visit by the FBI.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

There was a time (pre-9/11) where I could buy saltpetre in the pharmacy section of my local grocery store. I don't know if that's still the case though, I haven't bought it in years and years. Still, a grocery store or pharmacy might be the place to check. It would be over the counter. As for the slow match, make nitrate by adding 3-6 tablespoons of saltpetre to 4 cups of water. Stir it well then soak a natural fiber line in it overnight. Lay the line flat to dry and you are set.

Ropework_Header.jpg

The artillery guys in the American Rev. War hobby usually have some slow match on hand... so it still must be available for sale... can anyone confirm??

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I guess, one teaspoon of salpeter should be enough for 4 cups of water to soak pieces of rope in it. It is just needed to let it glow, not to burn it down quite fast.

If you can't get Salpeter (you can ask at large butcher stores, they use it to preserve meat along with normal salt). Chemical it's potassium nitrate.

If you have no better idea, soak half a cup of blackpowder in one liter of hot (not boiling) water. This will fit the same.

cheers