The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

"Aye, civilized!" I said, as I lifted the lid o' the dainty tea pot, an emptied me cup back in t' the pot. A frown spread across Ransom's face, an I saw Smithe tremble a bit out o' the corner o' me eye.

I reached fer the bottle o' brandy, an said, "We need a few more days t' collect some more gold, 'fore we continue on t' Florida. Once there, I intend t' take a party inland."

I poured some brandy in t' the tiny cup an drank it in a single swallow. I tossed off a few more, 'fore Ransom grabbed me drinkin' arm. Lookin' Ransom in the eyes, I said, "Where are me manners? Smithe, would ye like some brandy?"

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With an inward groan at the likely loss of a whole bottle of good brandy, I offered some liquor to Smithe, who quickly followed his captains action's, dumped his tea back into the pot, and held out his cup. I filled it, but kept hold of the bottle.

"All right, all civility aside, what do we do with Nate and his little troop of Spaniards? I wouldn't trust them as far as I could toss this boat, so do we allow him to tag along, or do we chase him off for good and all? And then there is that maniac Scot, MacTavish. According to Colard, who knows the man, he's not a gent to trifle with. Also, I might point out that at some time in the near future, we'll both need fresh water and supplies."

Seeing as how civility had taken leave of the room, I took a swig directly from the brandy bottle, then waited for Jacky's response.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

"I'll admit, Nate has more luck than common sense. O' course wit' the Cat an Roberts havin' his back, they 're more than a match fer a few Spaniards."

"If MacTavish returns fer a fight, he might attack one ship, an be daft enough t' try two. But three... I think even he understands the odds against winnin' that one."

I extended the tea cup fer a refill, an I exclaimed, "We could use a bit o' that crazy Irish luck! An I fer one believe, we should ask Nate an company t' stay on."

Smithe hiccuped. "Aye, I'll drink t' that. T' Crazy Irish luck!" he said, as he tossed back another tea cup o' brandy.

"I'll admit, the Devil's or the Irish, Nate does seem to carry his weight in luck. I've no objection to letting him, Cat, and Robert's stay on. The Spaniards, however, are a different story. But if you aren't worried, then so be it. As for MacTavish...well, I'm not so much worried about an outright attack. I'm thinking an ambush is more his style. All I'm saying is, we should watch our backs. And, where do you want to check in for supplies? Especially water. Florida is mostly Spanish held...say, maybe those Spaniards will come in handy after all."

I refilled both cups and my own, emptying the bottle, then, grinning, held my cup up in salute. "Well gents, to our next bit of adventure."

Smithe downed his brandy in one gulp. Jacky, looking warily at me over the rim of his cup as if he expected some trick, downed his as well.

Then I held up the tea pot, shiny silver glinting in the dim light. "Sure you don't want any tea before you go?"

Edited by Ransom

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Nate tilted his head ta th side a degree er two an his eyes just barely squinted as he thought a moment about wot Tomas had said. Nate chuckled. "Wot ye be tryin ere, Tomas? Ain't been but hours since I were b low an all was well an good!" Nate looked ta Red Cat an wiggled his eyebrows and stepped forward, leavin her ta mind th tiller. "Say we two head b low an see, aye? Lest he there pissed n' such in th water an on th rice, All them stores er good fer a month wi proper care. If ya got a mind ta be put ta shore, just say, none o this bally-cock nonsense." Nate was in th waist now, an put his hand up onta th main boom while restin his other on his cutlass hilt, waitin ta see wot Tomas might have ta say.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Cat grasped th tiller, one side o' her mouth twitchin into a lopsided grin at his eyebrow wigglin..she watched as Nate strode forward an challenged Tomas an company. Cat an Nate'd only jes enjoyed a samplin o' th' very same stores not a few hours past. As he offered t' go b'low deck with 'em wot disparraged th' cargo, she placed a hand t' th' but o'th' pistol at her waist. Never likin t' see one go down under th' deck outnumbered. Even tho he be th' only one armed. She would have cast a silent glance t' Roberts t' follow em b'low, but he were still avoidin her direct attention. Cat huffed a little, shifted her feet an ran a thumb along th spot on th' tiller worn smooth from many a hand.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

We climbed out on t' the main deck in a brandy haze, an I remarked, "Seems Ol' Nate has plans o' his own." As wot I believed t' be his main sail was disappearin' ov'r the horizon.

I addressed Ransom, one last time, "Give us one more day t' salvage wot we can, then we'll set out fer Florida."

She nodded, still gazin' at that horizon, as we departed. I thought I heard her mumble somethin' under her breath, which I was sure was 'bout a certain Irishman.

Smithe an I were quick t' climb down t' our launch, an hastily retreat t' the Relentless.

With a lethal grin, MacTavish watched the sloop break away from the other two vessels. "Weel noow. Twil be like culling sheep." He left the rail and barked at his helmsman, "Take her away west a wee bit, then come round on yon sloop. We'll pay our respect tae the Spaniards first."

The Pride of Flodden fell off the wind, tacked, and headed north-west.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Tomas looked to Phonse and he shook his head slowly back and forth, almost as if to say, 'do not go there.' The Spaniard knew he was not trusted. Tomas didn't think the Irishman would save he and his meager crew from certain death on the spit only to kill him below deck on his own ship. "Of course Capitan, let us have a look," Tomas replied. He bowed slightly and headed to the short steps below. Nate looked to Roberts and then to Red Cat. She squinted and looked back to him; her appearance questioning if it was a good idea. Black Nate smiled. "Yes Fatha, she'll be along wit' me," he called aloud as he rested his hand on the worn grip of his pistol. "A'right Mister Gee-rare-o, Lessee wha' your man 's on about." Nate walked slowly towards Tomas who had already started down.

The stench from below caused Tomas to clutch at his mouth. Nate did the same, but two steps behind Tomas. The Spaniard clutched for the nearest lantern. As the light spread across the decking, waves of movement could be seen scurrying away from the light. "Wha' th' bluidy 'ell?" Nate called aloud. "No es rata," Tomas whispered, "Lo peor no había llegado aún." Tomas repeated his last statement slower and more deliberately. "There is worse to come Capitan." Nate growled and drew his pistol, firing into the shadow. The shot echoed throughout the hold, rolled up the stair and across the deck.

Red Cat tied off the tiller and ran to the waist cutlass drawn.

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

0000banner-accommodation.png

Cat rushed the hatch almost tripping on it's edge in her haste. She yelled to Nate as she took the ladder in twos landing with a resounding thump drawing her own pistol as she landed. Cat let loose an exclamation as the fould smell hit her like the back of a hand. Oi!

After the men from the Relentless had gone, Ludo came in to collect the tea things. With the tray in his hands, he paused at the door and asked, "Cosa facciamo adesso?"

"Vi aspettiamo," I replied with a shrug.

"Perche'?" he said, then gave me a friendly wink. "Ahhh, per amore."

I thought a moment, then shook my head. "No. Non per amore. Per amicizia. Dura piu a lungo."

He started to walk out the door, but then turned back, his expression serious. "Non sempre, Signora. Non sempre." Then he turned and left my cabin.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Tomas turned quickly to Nate and reached for the pistol. "No es necessario," the Spaniard whispered, "they're already dead." Tomas turned again and clutched at his mouth. He quickly grabbed his kerchief as the smell hit him again, now mixed with the powder of Nate's shot. He nearly vomited as a shaded lantern met him at head height. "Ah, Mister Luther," coughed Tomas from behind his balled fist. "Wot 'n th' hell?" called Nate as he was now confused. "Captain Norton about?" asked Tomas. "Yes," merely replied the master. The bag of bones turned and headed toward the bow.

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

• 3 weeks later...

"Already dead? Wot?!" Nate gagged as the smell hit him again and he laughed a crazy, ragged laugh. "Oh Lordy! Father! Must ye do this ta poor ol' Nate!? Give these men their rest eternal!" Nate gagged again then dry-heaved. He'd had enough of the stench and backed towards the open hatch where fresh air drifted in. He looked up through the hatch to see Red Cat there and gave a weak smile. "Aye Lass, stay topside, Just be best that way, trust ol' Nate now. . . ." Nate watched Tomas and whoever or whatever shambled about in the shadows in the hold.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

• 3 weeks later...

"Ah Tomas my friend." The deep voice called from the bow. "Come, come." A lantern suddenly appeared and was summarily placed atop a hogshead. Roaches, beetles and rats scampered back to the safety of the dark. A small tankard was set next to the lantern. Tomas did not remove the kerchief from his mouth, and in actuality vomited a bit in it. "You destroyed my ship Tomas." "Lo siento, Captain Norton. I had no choice, you see . . ." "You blew up my ship Tomas. You now owe me a ship."

Tomas lunged for the tankard and swallowed it in one gulp. A taste of hot vinegar mixed with rotten sugar burned his gullet as it sped toward his stomach. "Gah," spat Tomas. "I'm sorry it is not of your liking," replied the Captain. An undercurrent of snickers and mocking laughter grumbled around him. It stopped as quickly as it began. "We will be taking this ship Tomas, it is not for discussion." "Momentito, por favor Captain." Tomas backed out of the hold and climbed the few steps to the main deck.

Tomas called back to the tiller, "Capitan Nate, I need to talk to you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

As the Pride of Flodden tracked the small sloop, MacTavish pondered his options. She was a small prize, to be sure, but her crew could be forced to divulge the reason the other two ships were loitering in such a out-of-the-way place. MacTavish was good at getting sailors to divulge information. With one more look through his glass, MacTavish made his decision.

"Archy, ye great haggis," he snapped.

His tormented first mate came running up. "Yes, sir?"

"Order yon Mr. Crawford tae hae the crew load the guns."

Archy's bloodshot eyes widened. "We're tae fire on the sloop, then?"

MacTavish waved a fist. "If I dinna want tae fire on yon shoop would I order Crawford tae load the guns! Get on with it, ye pickle-faced son of a coo."

At double speed, Archy informed the ship's gunner to make ready the guns, while the Pride of Flodden made one last tack, which would, with the wind in her favor, bring her up behind the sloop.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"Not time now mate!" Nate nodded two points off the bow. "The fog Toe-mas, be rolling thick and we're heading right inta 't!" Tomas looked just to starboard and saw the heavy cloud sitting low on the water and coming towards them. "We have to get off this boat," Tomas replied as if he saw nothing. "And where'r we ta go!?" Nate snapped back. "We're jus' off the Tortugas an' nothin' around fer miles!" He spun slowly with his arms outstretched. "Father, ol' Nate needs a bit o' help from ye now!" Nate stopped as he grabbed the taffrail and squinted. "The Scotsmans' returned." Tomas jumped to Nate's side. He saw the ship as well. "Roberto! Phonse! Ready the longboat!" Nate grabbed the Spaniard's forearm, "Tomas, this IS my ship!" Tomas clapped him on the shoulder and smiled, "And she'll be yours on the bottom mate." Tomas ran back to the waist and quickly began helping his men untie the longboat.

Edited by Tomas Guerrero

-Friedrich Nietzsche

"Ah right Father, I sees wot we gots goin on here." Nate rolled his eyes ta heaven an threw the loop onto the tiller. "Cat, we best gather our gear, you too Robert! Gonna hafta trust Toe-mas ere, tis an unholy grip that come upon this fine ship!" Nate hurried about an grabbed up all the weapons n gear he'd brought aboard, plus a couple things that would come in handy if needed. Nate dumped all he had in his arms into the longboat an stood waiting for everyone else ta get aboard. "Come now! Capin's th last ta step off his ship, put some fire in yer arses!" Nate looked about an spied th Flodden gettin closer an squinted his eyes. "Ohhhh Father. . . . this gonna be close. . . . a close one sure as I'm a green-eyed bugger of an Irishman. . . ."

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Cat had all on her she owned. She'd tossed a sea bag filled with wot she'd been able t' grab down into th' boat whar it fell lumpy as Phonse an motioned t' th' others wit her pistol. "Make haste ye lot! Ye hard th' Capin!" She'd been watchin th' ship wag through th' gatherin fog. Her mast tops an pennents could be seen driftin like sea serpents in th' mist wot times th' rest o' the Flodden be obscured b'low 'em. Cat's attention had been riveted on Nate in th' hold an every move b'low til they suddenly scrambled topsides agin. When she chanced a look the distance had fallen 'tween them an th' would be agressors. "Bugger..." she muttered unner her breath, her eyes narrowin at th' scene. She waited fer th' lot t' heed Nate's orders an hie their arses down inta th' longboat. First Tomas, then Roberto an finally Phonse hefted his girth over th' side. She b'lieved th' specters b'low had clear scared th' smell right off the man.. r' perhaps it was jes wot lay b'low tha smelled warse..

As Cat waited she tucked th' dirk in her belt, shifted her pistol t' th' other hand an fished within her coat pokets fer her lucky piece. Fingerin th' talisman she looked over her shoulder at th' fast approachin fog an th' sails within it. Still a distance off but none too far. A challenge were always t' her likin, an her whole self were coiled tight despite th' half grin at Nate's statement t' th Father. He'd not failed them b'fore an she was sure he wouldna now. "Aye " she said glancin t' th' heavens herself wit a nod an back at Nate.

Colard, like most of the other crew members of the Rakehell, had been cooling his heels waiting for the Relentless to finish her business and pull up anchor. Scratching his balding pate, he happened to glance over at the retreating sloop. Suddenly on full alert, he quickly jogged down to the captain's cabin, and banged fiercely on the door.

"What?" Came the answer from within.

"Beggin' yer pardon, Ma'am, but I think yea need tae come up on deck right quick."

The cabin door was flung open, and Ransom glared at him. "What now?"

"Deevilment, I'd say. Young Nate's sloop looks tae be in trouble, and ol' MacTavish is movin' in for the kill."

"Bloody hell!" She pushed past him and ran up on deck, grabbing a brass spyglass as she went.

Colard followed. Others of the crew were pointing in the direction of the sloop, where the Pride of Flodden was coming astern of her, her guns rolled out.

"That bloody Scott bastard!" Ransom railed, her eye glued to the glass.

"We'll never get the anchor up in time tae help them." Colard said.

"Doesn't matter," she replied. "For some reason, Nate and his crew appear to be abandoning ship."

"That might create a wee problem." Colard sighed. "If MacTavish gets hold of them, he'll barter them for information, supplies, and whatever else he can strip from these two vessels."

She turned her blue-ice gaze on him. "He can try! In the meantime, let's hope Nate and Cat are smart enough to head for that fog bank. And let's also hope that we find them afterward, before the Flodden does, or before they become lost at sea."

As the captain turned to her first mate and ordered the anchor raised, Colard turned to young Jimmy Cox. "Weel, I guess we're done cooling our heels for the time bein'. Best get to business."

Edited by Colard Dysart

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

While divin' on the wreck t' recover the remaining gold bars, we came upon a curious find loosely secured t' wot was left o' the deck. I returned t' the barrel t' gasp fer the last bit o' air, 'fore returnin' t' secure a rope t' this latest find.

The crew was waitin' anxiously fer me t' surface, an began t' shout at me 'bout the return o' the Flodden. I climbed back aboard the Relentless, an saw that Rackhell had already begun t' weigh anchor.

"Release the barrel!" I shouted, "We'll retrieve it later. Hoist away on that other line, I want t' secure wot's on the other end, 'fore we weigh anchor."

The catch was brought aboard, an set t' rest on the deck. The object was even more beguilin', once revealed by the light o' day.

The curious onlookers gawked, an someone quipped, "It looks like an Antikythera!"

I'd heard o' ancient devices, an their use by ancient mariners; but, I'd never seen one, an this one looked like it had been in the water a few days, not several years.

I bent over the device, an turned the small crank on the one side, an marveled at the freely turnin' gears. The movin' etched objects an numerals, on other gears, settled in t' their new positions.

When I stood up, an glanced over the port side o' the ship, the ships in the distance were gone! So too was the Rakehell. The hairs on the back of neck stood up as I scanned the waters around us, we weren't in the Tortugas anymore.

Edited by Jacky Tar

As the crewmates stepped into the longboat, Tomas could hear shuffling and the dragging of heavy objects below deck. Suddenly, a hearty laugh erupted from the hold. The longboat was close enough that the Spaniard could pat the bow of the sloop as Roberts, Phonse, and Roberto manned the oars. Tomas stood slightly and was just barely ble to see the Scotsman bearing down onto the sloop. "Momentito, Capitan," Tomas blurted as he jumped from the bow of the longboat. Nate drew his pistol and aimed directly at the Spaniard's head. In a swift second, Tomas had grabbed the chains just below the bow and climbed aboard.

He crouched and made his way quickly back to the tiller. With some force and a bit of leverage, Tomas pushed the tiller to starboard and tied it off. The bow of the sloop was now nosing toward the North East gradually exposing her larboard broadside. He ran back down the deck to return to the bow. The longboat had now disappeared into the fog. Tomas heard a shallow thud coming astern. A heavy splash landed just of the larboard rail.

"JUMP," was the next thing he heard. He looked below and could not see the water, let alone the longboat to land in

"Fer chrissakes, JUMP! She's firin' on 's now!"

Tomas put both hands on the rail and flung himself overboard. What he found next was a softer landing than expected. He expected to find himself completely drenched and being pulled to safety.

Red Cat caught a glimpse of Tomas from below and had moved closer to the small lever commanding the direction of the tiller. Nate had slid opposite, closer to the larboard gunwale to call again for Tomas when he found he was suddenly thrown back and pinned to the bottom of the longboat. Tomas had looked about and found he had landed squarely on top of ole' Captain Nate.

Jenny smiled and stifled a chuckle. Those men manning the oars also withheld what laughter they could. Tomas simply collected himself, raised up and stated, "Ah, better Nate," he paused and pointed his thumb to the tiller, "than lever." Those in the longboat erupted in laughter, even Roberts managed a smile. Nate huffed as he stood and showed two fingers to Tomas. "Ye owe me two now Spaniard."

Tomas clasped his hands together smiled and bowed slightly. "Lo siento Capitan, es verdad."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Nate kept a stern look on his face as long as he could before finally doubling over in laughter. After a minute had passed Nate was able ta give the command ta pull on the oars an get them out o harms way. ”Pull away lads, we don’t wanna be anywhere near th’ Flodden when this fog lifts.” Nate took up th compass he’d taken from th ship an got some kinda bearing, directing Cat where to steer. Nate then made quick work o righting the small mast on the longboat and hoped th slight breeze that stirred would give them better speed. Nate set th sail and sat in the stern a moment and laughed. Odd looks were again shot at him, so Nate shrugged. ”I were a capin o a fine little ship there fer some two days. . . . Th Lord giveth, th Lord taketh away. . . . Father always gets me outta some fine scrapes.” Nate suddenly cocked his right ear to heaven and a startled look crossed his face and just as suddenly was replaced with a grave look. ”Summin wrong Nate?” Red Cat enquired to the look on Nate’s face. Nate slowly shook his head. ”Father just reminded me of all that. . . . Says I gonna be fine when all this be done. . . . The rest o ye tho, yer all fekked!” Everyone looked at Nate in shock until his wild grin and crazy laugh erupted from him.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

In a rage, MacTavish watched the fog bank roll in, sure his prize was going to escape. The bow of the sloop was already engulfed when he gave the order to fire. Three cannons spewed smoke, flame, and 30 pound balls, the reports echoing over the water like crazy thunder. One ball missed, but the other two struck home. With a loud crack the main mast snapped and fell to larboard, throwing splinters of wood in all directions, the sails draped like bunting over the rails. The other ball hit the tiller, which exploded in a burst of wood, iron and sea water.

"That'll stop her," MacTavish yelled. "Fog or nae fog, she's dead in the water. Now, close in, afore we lose sight o' her."

The Flodden veered smartly to starboard and came up alongside the sloop just as the fog shrouded them all in a blanket of white.

Just before he gathered himself to leap to the other ship's deck, MacTavish paused and called to his first mate. "What's that gawdawful smell?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Red Cat neatly followed Nate's bearin's an the others rowed wit all their muster. As the small sail billowed they pulled quickly away from th' ship. Cat began t' snicker finally erupting in a wide grin an laughter along wit Nate as the others faces had been fixed in pure panic 'fore he let on. She knowed his sense 'o humor an nearly fell off her seat next t' th' tiller at th' sight o' them. They had just moved far enough t' be outta harms way when th' Flodden fired an th ship erupted in splinters.. th' mainmast falling wit a mighty crack. All ducked in th small boat an headed wit even more urgency away from the Flodden. Cat held to th tiller as th' others pulled in th' oars letting th wind give them haste as Nate still grinnin pulled out his glass an looked towards th two ships."Oi them specters are none too good in a fight! Canna hold a linstock wit ghostly hands" Cat stated chuckling glad t' be away from th' strange an smelly crew.

• 2 weeks later...

While concintrating on the Flodden and her attack on the sloop, I heard Jimmy shout, "Holy Muther of God, she's gone!"

I looked over at him. "Whose gone?"

He pointed to a spot over my shoulder. I whirled around and...the breath went out of me. Where the Relentless had been, was nothing but open ocean. No sign, no sound, no flotsom in the water to tell that she had ever been there. I ran to the rail, still not believing. She was a fully-rigged brig, she couldn't just disappear! But my eyes did not lie. She had disappeared, and Jacky with her.

Stunned and speechless, I stared at the spot and wondered Where the hell are you, JT?

RAKEHELL-1.jpg