The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Roberts stood and looked at Ransom for a long hard second before looking to see the crazy Irishman at the helm of the sloop. Holding the bucket high, he dropped it with a thump onto the deck of the Rakehell and walked to the rail, swung his legs over and dropped onto the deck of the sloop. "Aye-aye Cap'n , There be yer bucket ya wanted. Ain't gonna take it wit me incase you decide ta say I stole it, seein' as ye seem ta be givin' orders then changin' yer mind an' punishin' them that follow 'em.

Did ye ferget ya gave permission ta shoot that bloody Irishman if he comes near this ship again?" Roberts turned away and looked keenly at Nate. He still wasn't sure if the Irishman was a spirit or flesh so he crossed himself and stayed in the waist of the sloop.

He faced sidelong just in Case Cat showed her face an decided t' even things up a bit. No sense gettin shot in th back.

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I glared back at the man. "You're right, Mr. Roberts, I did say that should the Irishman approach the Rakehell again, he was to be shot. However, if I'd wanted the Irishman shot, I could have done it myself. Also, I expect crewe members to be able to judge a situation as it comes, and since the situation had obviously changed, you made the wrong decision. Also, since we're making accusations, I'm not sure you were in the correct state of mind to make any decisions, let alone the one of life over death. Best sail with ol' Nate for a spell and make your amends. Prove yourself reliable again, and you'll be welcome back aboard — that is, if Red Cat doesn't shoot you first."

I turned to Colard. "Is that blasted shark dead yet? I need to talk to the Commodore."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Nate was no longer leanin on th tiller. Lookin about Nate saw Red Cat was aboard, musta snuck on as this conversation drew off Nate's attention. "Well now! Welcome aboard Mr. Roberts! You! Senor Gererro, get over n cast off th lines! You too Roberts! Time ta put some searoom tween these ships afore more bad judgment passes. . . ." Nate had walked to the side an undid the line from the stern. "Hurry along now, we don't want ta inconvenience anyone, I'll not shoot ye Roberts, an I were already in a fergivin mood fer wot ye did, now that ol' Nate has heard more, I don't blame ye." Moments later the sloop was no longer secured to the schooner and sails were trimmed. She sliced through the water quickly and were soon more than far enough away to maneuver. Nate's mood had changed some and it showed. "You, speak english, aye? Clean yerself up will ye? An Senor Gerarro, no sneakin off. We all need ta talk, see where yer head is an if we can trust one another as I don't want ta hafta have th Father watch me back more than he already does."

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Tired an wet, we climbed hand ov'r hand back aboard the ship. I reached back t' pull Mister Dillard on deck, an I said, "Don't expect a hero's welcome, sire."

But the glint in the captain's eye, an the smile on Stone's face, were welcome enough, indeed. "We did good, sire," I muttered.

A tired, but grateful, Dillard nodded.

A few o' the crew knuckled their heads, in Mister Dillard's presence (all the while, holdin' their noses), as we passed. I sniffed at Mister Dillard, "We best get ye a change o' clothes, fer the crew offers t' toss ye back."

"Do I smell that bad still?" He asked.

"Worse, much worse," I sputtered.

Edited by Smithe

"Can't imagin' there's any amount o' soakin' that will get the stink out o' these clothes, sire," I said.

"I best fetch a rock from the bilge, an give 'em last rights."

I got no arguement from Mister Dillard. So, after gatherin' up the offendin' garments, I went topside t' send 'em t' a watery grave; leavin' Mister Dillard behind wit' a bucket o' water, an some French perfume t' exorcise his own smell.

Edited by Smithe

deleted

Edited by Ransom

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Nate sailed the sloop the opposte way they had last seen their most recent antagonist, and out of range of the guns of the Rakehell and Relentless before throwin her nose inta th wind, puttin th wee boat in irons. "Aright you lot! Lay aft sos we cn suss out wot sort o accord is to be had ere." Nate put th lashing on th tiller an walk forward some so as ta meet th others. Red Cat hung back some, keepin a hand near her pistol. The others, Roberts included made little effort ta lay aft an moved slowly. Nate gritted his teeth an pounded a fist on th rail. "Move yer arses! Jaysus, Mary n Joseph! Are ya all thick? Don't you see? Senor Gurrero, you an your men might a jus become shark bait fer wot th commodore an capin there has a mind to do, wotever that may be. Thems on her ship, an I's thinkin on th commodore's ship has no affection fer you Spanish! We gots ta work tagether! Father tells me I cn trust you, if ye get some daft idears outta yer head. An Roberts, will ye accept my apology fer leavin ye bhind ta find Red Cat? It weren't worth two o us off th ship there. But now I sees how tings can be. She truly gave orders fer ta shoot me if I made it back ta th ship?" Nate looked at em all there, tryin hard ta make this work. They needed ta be a crew an he was willin ta hear out wot any of em had ta say. Only Ransom had called him capin, an if that were ta change, so be it.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Tomas perked up at the threat the irishman had lain. He reached into his waist and threw a dagger at the feet of the 'captain' imbedding the blade between his feet on the deck. Nate stepped back a bit and those aboard watched the scene unfold. Phonse wrung his hands and soiled himself a bit, again. The Spaniard stood nose to nose with the new captain. "YOU stole my boat," Tomas growled as he clutched the man's shirt collar. "Pero, mi amigo, you did remove us from our perilous situation upon that spit." Tomas released his grip and smoothed the man's collar, grabbing his shoulders as a brother might. "To that we owe you," he smiled. "Orders, Capitan?" Phonse and Roberto stood stunned as Tomas had relinquished command of his own ship.

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

0000banner-accommodation.png

Nate gave Tomas a crooked smile. "Well then. . . . Orders would be ta get yer gear, weapons an all, er, an get him cleaned up sos we cn be ready as a crew might be." Nate looked at Roberts and past him to Red Cat seein wot she might be thinkin o all this. "An you Roberts, ye been right quiet. You think I be spirit n not flesh? Look at the mark ye left on me chest ere. Hurts too. If Red Cat agrees, we'll get ye some arms ta use as well. Hah, we'll swing by th Rakehell an see about yer bag an all too, but not jus yet." Nate creased his brow as he thought about what capin Ransom said, that she gave th order ta shoot ol' Nate. Further, he wondered why Father hadn't warned him about that.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Colard watched the sloop and its small crew pull away from the Rakehell. He wondered if Nate was biting off more than he could chew, with a boatload of Spaniards to deal with. He turned to the captain. "Ye ken young Nate will be all right?"

She glanced over at the sloop. "Oh, I think he'll be fine. He's a smart lad, and he did save those Spaniard's lives. That should count for something."

"Did ye really give an order tae shoot Nate if he came back?"

The look she turned on him was icy. "Nate disobeyed an order not to leave the ship and go chasing after Red Cat. That he found her at all I will put down to blind luck. I could hardly spare a boat with my hull compromised. I only relented because I figured he sneak off with one anyway. Then he disobeyed me again by not taking Roberts with him. One defiance of my orders is bad enough. Do it twice, and I will give the order to have you shot."

Colard thought that pretty harsh, but could understand why. A captain's position was tenuous at best. "So, why dinna ye shoot him? Or let Roberts do the job for ye?"

"If he'd come back without the Cat, I might have."

Colard grinned. "Ye like the laddie, don't ye?"

She grinned back. "Got rot me, yes, I do. But I'll keel haul you if you ever tell him."

"Oh, I'll stay mum. I've nae wish tae be dragged under the keel o' this fine vessel." He knuckled his forehead and left her standing at the rail, waiting for the captain of the Relentless to acknowledge her request for a parley.

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

"Wot do ye make o' that?" Stones asked.

"Looks like Nate is takin' his leave." I said, as we watched the sloop sail away from the Rakehell.

"Suppose he's makin' room fer us t' pay a visit t' the Rakehell?" Stones asked, again.

"There's no tellin' fer sure. But that excuse is as good as any."

"Smithe!" I shouted, "If yer done tossin' things overboard, ready t' drop some canvas, an weigh anchor."

"It's time we paid a visit t' the Rakehell."

Tomas sent Roberto to the bow to rig the jib topsail. Roberto had done this several times before, but each time was nearer still to falling overboard. Tomas was to head aloft to set the topsail when Phonse called to him. The portly sidekick whispered so as Tomas had to reach in closer. The smell from Phonse made him want to throw up what meager food he had eaten. "Lo siento Tomas, por necesito ropa interior," Phonse whispered. Tomas reassured him, "Just go without Phonse, we are all men here." Phonse shook his head slowly and kicked his head to the side towards Red Cat. "Ah, es mi culpa, Phonse. Momentito." Phonse tried to clutch at Tomas sleeve, but was too late.

Tomas now stood amidship, hanging from the ratlines trailing atop the mainmast. "Disculpe, señorita," he called to Red Cat, louder than necessary. Tomas smiled as the woman turned, "Do you mind if Phonse does not wear underwear?"

Edited by Tomas Guerrero

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

As Colard walked away, I noticed the Relentless was in the process of upping anchor. "Well," I muttered, "let's see if she just sails off without a by-your-leave, or whether Jacky thinks a little parley before embarking for Florida is in order."

I stayed on the rail, calmly waiting to see which direction the Relentless would tack. It made no difference, really, as no matter what decision Jacky made, I was honor bound to follow him. However, Nate and his intrepid crew were not held by any promises, so it would be interesting to see what decision, as a new captain, he made if the Relentless sailed away without a meeting of minds.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Wit' the main sail unfurled, an the anchor hoisted, I said t' Stones, "Bring us in close, but not too close."

He laughed, "Ye suppose will need the room t' run, sir?"

"Nay! But I don't want her t' think we mean t' board her, either."

Again Stones chuckled, "Aye, we wouldn't want t' spook the big Moor, again."

"Who said anythin' bought not wantin' to spook him? I just want t' get this over wit', finish collectin' wot we came fer, an get underway t' Florida."

"So, ye still mean t' find the source o' that water?" Stones asked.

"We didn't come this far t' turn back now!"

Edited by Jacky Tar

• 3 weeks later...

MacTavish hawked and spit over the side, then put the glass back to his eye. The three ships had not moved from their position, and it was putting a niggle in his brain wondering what they were up to. Ships didn't just loiter in the middle of the Caribbean for nothing.

"Umm, Captain, sir?" The first mate approached warily.

"Aye, what is it noow?" MacTavish snapped.

"Begging yer pardon, Sir, but, well, the crewe be wondering why we're wasting our time on those ships when we could be headed back to port and drinking our own health?"

"Gawd, ye are a bunch o' complainin' ninnies! We'll watch them for as long as I say, and them as dinna like it can jump overboard. Yon ships are there for a reason, and I intend tae find out what it is."

"Aye, sir, but.."

"What!"

"It were only my job to tell you what the crewe be thinking, is all. They ain't happy, and some say they be seeing visions. Old Sheamus swears he saw his dead wife peering back at him from behind a keg of molassas."

"Yea tell ol' Sheamus that any more talk like that, and I'll throw his carcass inta a barrel and pickle him."

"Aye, sir." The man knuckled his forehead and scurried away.

MacTavish put the glass back to his eye and continued to watch the three ships, barely visible on the horizon.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Jenny never turned but shook her head. Tomas hustled Phonse off the deck and below to change. He waited above deck and leaned on the rail. A few moments later several articles of clothing came flying onto the deck with accompanying flies and stench. With a swipe of his foot, Tomas swiftly kicked the clothes overboard. All the while, Nate leaned on the tiller smiling at his two new crewmen. "Aye Father, he does much". Nate called to Tomas, "Might ye want t' check on yer mate, mate?" Jenny laughed aloud and even Roberts pricked up a slight smile. "The stench is his and his alone, Capitan," Tomas bowed slightly and smiled as well, "a keelhaul may be the only way necessary to remove it. Wot say you Capitan?"

Edited by Tomas Guerrero

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Red Cat laughed an wiped her face wit her sleeve. She'd kept Roberts in her peripheral vision choosing t' stay clear of any parley wit th' man just now. Though his brief gold toothed grin settled at leat a few o' th' hairs on th' back o' her neck.

She needed t' know how dealins were t' be wit th' Spaniards now crewin their own ship fer an Irishman, a Brit an herself. It would be an interestin journey, th' irony and recent comedy o' which mighta turned up th' corner o her mouth, but she needed t' settle some things which weren't allowin her stomach t' rights. It seemed they were in acceptance o'th' situiation given the trade off o'promised treasure. Heck, they may even become mates. Cat would not have a drink till she understood Guererro an his man. This annoyed her as she had a thirst at that moment..

She returned an affected bow to th' Spaniard fer his consideration an'stepped towards Nate t'discuss their headin'fore all had a general chat on wot was t'come.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• 2 weeks later...

Nate watched Red Cat step towards him while he thought about th best way ta clean up th Spaniard. "I think ya might just do as I were first thinkin. . . . Haul a bucket er three o water onboard and sluice im down til he don't smell so bad." With th presence o sharks, even if th man stunk ta high heaven, Nate didn't favor th idea o putting im in th water. As Cat stepped beside ol' Nate, she wore a serious look. Nate wiped his brow an gave a curious look to th lass.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Cat just stood a moment shoulder t' shoulder with Nate...after a time she drew in her breath slowly as she narrowed her eyes..wall this be an interestin scene Nate..."I b'lieve we'd best keep only ourselves armed fer a time. Wot ye think about our next step..an wot say ye as darkness approaches?" She looked over th' "crew" agin..."Has we enough in store t' ply them into cooperatin?"

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

"Smithe!" I shouted, "Lower the jolly boat, an let's pay a visit t' the Rakehell."

I turned t' Dillard, "I'd have ye join us, but I don't want t' give her another excuse fer droppin' a few cannon balls on us."

"Mister Tar, if she does open fire on you sir, your orders?" Dillard asked.

I stifled a laugh, "She won't waste the powder!"

With a slight smile, I watched Jacky climb into a jolly boat and head my way. I turned to Africa. "Tell Ludo to ready the tea and cakes, we're going to have company."

Africa glanced over my shoulder at the small boat, gave a muffled grunt, and walked away.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Tomas felt eyes over his back. He did not mind as many did not trust him, most for certain reason. They had no reason to distrust he and his eager crew, in fact, they had rescued them. Tomas smiled and kept about his business in the bow rigging the jib and and jib topsail with Roberto as Phonse cleaned up below. Tomas glanced about several times trying to gain his bearings while keeping an eye on the other two vessels rapidly fading into the horizon.

Phonse appeared on deck in new(er) slops, at least those not smelling of excrement and urine. He shrugged and smiled sheepishly. The pudgy 'ayudante de campo' made his way to the bow and pulled Tomas to his side. He whispered for a moment and Tomas nodded. Tomas moved nearer the mast and called to Nate.

"Capitan, Phonse reports the water has turned, and our supplies have become infested. To port, señor?"

-Friedrich Nietzsche

"Ye don't suppose she'll be askin' us t' sip tea again, sire?" Smithe asked.

I replied, "Aye, she probably will offer us some."

Smithe's eyes looked sullen, then brightened. "Well then, it's good I remembered me flask." he said, as he patted his coat pocket.

I snickered, as I too had no fondness fer the foul brew, "At least one o' us will enjoy the tea."

Smithe brought the small boat along side the Rakehell, an I hailed them, that we might be allowed t' come aboard.

Oh, aye, make yourself at home." I called down to Jacky. He and Smithe came aboard, and I ushered them down to my small cabin. "All the comforts," I said, gesturing to the one chair, small desk, and narrow bunk. "Ah, and here is Ludo with the tea. Alas, due to the damaged hull and loss of supplies, there will be only ship's biscuit dipped in molasses, rather than cake."

I grinned as I saw the look of loathing both men cast on the shiny silver pot and the expensive china cups, as Ludo set the tray down on my desk. After Ludo bowed his way out and shut the door, I laughed. "Oh, don't look so forlorn." Then opened a cabinet behind my desk, took out a bottle of brandy, and set it on the tray with the tea things. "There, that should help the biscuit go down easier."

Then I turned to Jacky. "I'll be mother, shall I?" And poured the tea. Smithe held the tiny cup as if it would bite him. "Now that we're all being so civilized—you know, no socks hanging from the rafters, and all that—what shall we talk about, hmmmm? Travel plans, perhaps?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg