making Jack Sparrow's Pistol

You must have seen Bill's ebony and sterling French type "D" pistol while at Dixon's. That is some beautiful pistol. Bill barely finished the pistol before he past away, he made it for his wife. I have never seen anyone with more passion for what they did than Bill.

I'll be at Dixon's this year and most likely will have that pistol there, maybe I'll see you there.

The 2 pistols made from Johnny's were excellent, especially when aged to match the finish of the original. Unfortunately, when I was packing the pistols to leave the Bahamas and return to L.A., one of the copies fell, and broke along the grain of the grip. By the way, at least through the Bahamas, Johnny never shot the copies, only the original. I'm sure that changed for the last part of the film. I wasn't there for that.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Now ain't this a co-inkydink, Hangfire.

My brother just spotted your website the other day, and couldn't believe it when he spotted the caption for the "Perry London" kit.(I think he was going to try and give you a phone call today to get some prices.(Also had some other questions for you, too.)

BTW, is the kit available in only one caliber(looking for a .62) and also can it be had in a left-handed configuration?(would like to make a matched set).

• 3 weeks later...

LOL I remember talking to Mike Lea two years ago, good to see he selling them kits now.

I couldnt wait and made my own firing Sparrow flintlock, Only cost $220 to make. I am still working on the ramrod and thimbles being placed.

gun9.JPG

gun15.JPG

gun16.JPG

Most of been Terrible for you Jack , It bloody well is now! - Capt'n Jack Sparrow

After looking at Don's kits, the stock look abit off. The curve of the grip isnt as long gated as the real Perry. Being I have carved my own I know :ph34r: . Also, the buttcap, breach tang, thumb inlay missing.

Not trying to be a gul but the pics of the completed gun show a diffrent cemitry.

Most of been Terrible for you Jack , It bloody well is now! - Capt'n Jack Sparrow

Nice man, may I inquire as to how you made yours?

I'm thinking of getting one of Don's kits in the near future, but I was curious as to where you acquired the majority of your parts.

-Mike

"I'm no fencing master, but I had some schoolin' in the art of cold steel"

Sure,

Barrel was made by a friend of mine who makes cannons. It was rolled out of steal with a thick breach to be safe. Cost was about $20 in steal and only a few hours of work. The dimensions where taken right off the MR replica gun.

The stock was a small Dragoon stock of English Walnut that I had to mod into the right shape. I had the lock and barrel inlet left undone so I could do them. Stock cost: $45

I used a Becky Lock by Davis given the right size of the base plate 4 3/8 off the MR gun.

Lock cost : $125

Trigger and trigger guard $22

All other parts like the mask buttcap etc I pulled cast off the MR gun.

Capt'n Jack,

Like I posted on the other forum, There was a mistake on the stock when the pics where taken for that part set, and will post new pics with the proper stock for the Perry-London Part set. The stocked pictured is for the Rev. War pistol. The lock that was used for this pistol is the small Siler with the pan and frizzen reshaped.

No problem Don! Glad I could help, I have one hell of an eye :lol:

I saw the Siler locks but as you said, the pan was German and not rounded and to save myself some time I used the Becky lock.

Question I have is the gun Bill made and the real Perry, how far off do they differ? The Master Replica one has some pretty stand out diffrences.

Capt'n Jack Sparrow,

There are some slight differences, The trigger guard bow, the finial on the putt cap and from sight. The guard and cap that where used was already developed by Bill and used on this pistol. The side plate master pattern was also made by Bill and engraved by Mike Lea who also did the engraving on rest of the pistol.

At first, The studio sent Bill only pictures of the original pistol (which I have here) and said build me a pistol just like it, so he did. Later Bill also recieved the "Rubber Dummy" prop pistol.

The pictures that I have posted earlier of the pistol "IS" the pistol sent to the studio. Johnny Depp had sent Bill an auto graphed poster commenting on what a great job he did making the pistols, but Bill didn't live long enough to see the poster. Bill past away one week after opening day of the movie last year, Bill did get to see the movie.

• 5 years later...

Here are some pics. of the pistol that was made for the move. It's fully funtional with a 9",.62 cal smoothbore barrel, walnut stock mounted in Sterling Silver. The pistol was made from specs. of the original. Mike Lea did the engraving and Bill Kennedy made the pistols. Bill past away in July of 06 and I am very honored and proud to have had him pass on his passion to me. I still build these same pistols. ENJOY THE PICTURES!

pc078.jpgpc083.jpgpc072.jpgpc071.jpg

You may want to try and contact him since he hasn't been active on the Pub in over five years.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG