making Jack Sparrow's Pistol

;) Ahoy, Mates. Been a while since I've been on here(Getting involved with a different type of costuming and weaponry, mainly one that involves cowboy hats and sixguns.)

Anyhow, with POTC II out, my interests is coming back around to pirates. My brother wants and likes to build his own muzzleloaders, so I've asked him to help me make a shooting replica of Capt. Jack's pistol(I know you can get a replica, but I don't like wallhangers,if it don't go bang, it's no good to me). The main thing I need help with are some good pictures to figure out the barrel, lock, stock styles, and also the sideplates and butt cap, plus the dimensions of the pistol(I'm wanting the one from the first movie, I'm not sure if there's a difference between the pistols).

Anyone know where I can get good pictures or information? From the special features dvd of the first movie I know:

-Made in London

-in the 1760s

-Gunsmiths name was Perry

I also tried to get some pictures off the Master replicas slide show, but since I need ones I can print off for measurements, wasn't able to.

Any help on this little project would be greatly appreciated.

If you do some more googling via the Disney production, it was said that the pistol Johnny Depp uses was an original obtain from someone, a dealer or collector in Connecticut.... I believe my daughter has pictures in her book... you can get from the local bookstores called Pirates of the Caribbean The Visual Guide...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Thank ye, Cap'n Sterling.

I'm gettin, ready to get that visual guide to POTC, I took a look at it the other day, and I do know it has a good picture of the left side of the gun(showing the side plate), didn't get much of a chance to look at the rest of it.

Thank ye again.

If the dealer was in Ct I know of him. IM only 40 minutes from him. He is very reputable great stuff VEEEEEEEERRRRRRYYYYY expensive. He has all originals. Her is his link. Also look in this list about 10 treads down I posted some links for gun making. The thread is called To Kit or not to kit. Her is the link to the dealer in CT.

Pauls

François

PyrateAvitar.jpg

I am a Free Men of The Sea I don't pillage and plunder.
I covertly acquire!

François Viete Domont de la Palmier
I haven't been accused of Pyracy...............YET

I think I may be able to help you. I have photos from all angles, but can't post them on this sight. E-mail? The pistol is the same in both films. Although the dealer says 1760's, having worked with the pistol off and on everyday, it seemed slightly older. Of course, being a reputable dealer, he would know more of the history than I, and I haven't had a chance to research Perry, and whether he built the pistol in it's entirety, or just the lock. BB

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

If you are wanting something in hand... Master Replicas has a nonfiring replica of Jack Sparrow's pistol. I'm sure it's crafted after the real thing.

Ditto with Jack's sword.

~Lady B

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

:ph34r: Thanks for the help so far.

Billy Bones, I'sent ye an pm with my e-mail address for those pictures. My main problem is that I'm stuck with a library computer right now, and it doesn't always let me download attachments(blocking software protects the young'ns but what is it protectin' me from. :P:lol: ) Anyhow may have to make alternative arrangments(Pictures in a bottle, buried pictures, we'll work something out).

From what pictures me and my brother have looked at, most of the parts can be had from Rifle Shop and Track of the Wolf, it's just getting good enough pictures to match them up.

As far as the Master Replicas, I prefer things that go "Boom :lol::lol: " instead of wall hangings(That's just me, though). Plus it's more fun when you make something your self(more satisfyin).

Calm winds to ye all and thanks again.

Good luck with your crafting, I think this is a most worthy project, and something you'd be very proud of when finished, especially considering your brother is helping you. To me, that would make it extra special. Keep us informed of your progress, and by all means, let us see pics when you get it finished! <_<

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

:rolleyes: Sir Henry,

Thanks for the site showing interactive menu, It's a start.

Captain Midnight, you're right, this is a worthy project, and so far me and my brother are both having fun researching. As soon as I get a list made up, I'll post a listing of the books we're using to learn how to make your own muzzleloaders(There are several good books you can buy that almost leads you by the hand). My brother(who I hope to get on here) has been wanting to make his own muzzleloading rifles for years, even hunts with a traditional front stuffer when he can. It's an ongoing project. I'm still trying to figure out leatherworking(making my own holsters, pouches, etc.). :P:P .

With all the old time projects both me and my brother are into, I think I need to form The Brethen of the Lost Arts. Our Motto: Take Yer Time, and do it yer ownself, Ye get a more harmonious outcome. (I know there's a lot of people that like to do things the hard way). :lol::lol::lol:

One Last question for Billy Bones: What is the barrel length, caliber, and is it rifled or smooth bore? Looking over a lot of our research, this pistol looks to be either a dueling pistol or what's called a trade pistol(pistol made up for trade to the indians, usually made up of parts from various makers). Not quite sure yet, need to do more research.

Sorry for the long post, this is one of my few days to get to a computer.

Had to chim in to this one.

I am working on a firing CJS flintlock. I dropped the $200 and got the MR one and yes it came off the cast of the real Perry, London 1760 flintlock. I have also emailed the gun makers who copied the real one so not to fire it for the movies, Mike Lea was one of makers who replicated the working one for the movie.

Sad to say the other gentalman past away two weeks ago, his widow has all the mesherments and what not for duplicating the gun. Mike isnt going to pester her in her time of loss right now. So that is kinda a dead end for right now. He can make one for you but look at very very high price. (the price always goes up when a crafter makes something for a movie). Disney paid $6500+ for two flintlocks made by them.

But anywho, I have a friend who turns cannon barrels and is turning a flintlock barrel for mine and I have the stock template ready for the English Walnut it is made from. If the over all cost isnt to bad at the end of the project we may sell a small run of them.

Most of been Terrible for you Jack , It bloody well is now! - Capt'n Jack Sparrow

Capt. Jack, thanks for chiming in on this.

If the stuff over the barrel and stock templete pans out, please let me know.(I was going to try and free hand it from a stock blank, but any help would be appreciated.). :lol::P BTW, what is the barrel length and are you using a smoothbore or rifled barrel?

To Depinux and anyone else interested in making muzzleloaders, Get the book, Gunsmiths of Grenville County or its companion video of the same name. It pretty much will take you step by step through the whole process from start to finish(a lot of it is on long guns but the same process is used in pistols too.).

Thanks again, gang.

Pistol kits are a good way to go, The main problem I have are:

1. With money being tight right now, I couldn't come up with 2 pennies to pay for a kit. By doing it me ownself, I can buy the parts a few at a time, put together the gun I want that's made for me, and have more fun doing it(As far as cost, if you shop around, can still put a pistol/rifle together for not to much more).

2. A good muzzleloader has to balance well and be made for a shooter. In that Greenwich County book I mentioned, it shows how to make a tryon stock for both pistols and rifles(it helps to figure out the drop of the stock, where to put any sights you want, barrel alignment, etc.). It's supposed to help build the gun for the shooter and make the gun balance out(like a good throwing knife or cutlass). Case in point: My brother has looked at about every muzzleloader he can find at gunshops and can not find one that is right for him. That's why he wants to build his own.

3. It's just more fun to make it your self, especially the fact you are putting your hand on just about every part of the gun(polishing de-burring parts, inletting the barrel, etc.) and putting a little bit of yourself in it. Plus it's different and .......I just love doing things the hard way :huh::huh::huh: .

guess I'm just weird :huh::huh:

• 9 months later...

Here are some pics. of the pistol that was made for the move. It's fully funtional with a 9",.62 cal smoothbore barrel, walnut stock mounted in Sterling Silver. The pistol was made from specs. of the original. Mike Lea did the engraving and Bill Kennedy made the pistols. Bill past away in July of 06 and I am very honored and proud to have had him pass on his passion to me. I still build these same pistols. ENJOY THE PICTURES!

pc078.jpgpc083.jpgpc072.jpgpc071.jpg

For which the parts set can be ordered from the above gentleman's web site Here.

Would you care to post some prices, Mr. Yerks (with deference of course to the usual "prices subject to change" notice), or would you like us to post you individually?

By the way, thanks for the high-quality pictures.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

"Would you care to post some prices, Mr. Yerks (with deference of course to the usual "prices subject to change" notice), or would you like us to post you individually?"

Thanks Captain Jim, The price for the Perry London "part set" is available in Brass and Sterling silver. Brass is $383.00 and Sterling is $542.00. (Locks not included) Uses a small "Siler" lock.

The lock on this pistol was reworked (rounded pan) since the siler is a Germanic style lock with a faceted pan

Thanks. Fair prices too, in my opinion.

So, there you have it. $250 to Disney for a non-working "replica" or slightly more than twice that for the real deal (pending your level of craftmanship of course.) For me the choice is easy: an expensive toy or an heirloom.

The irony is that the toy (OK, non-working replica) will someday go for a gazillion bucks on E-Bay. Still, a gazillion dollars doesn't buy your son or gandson saying, "My (Grand)Father made this for me."

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Bill Kennedy made the pistols. Bill past away in July of 06 and I am very honored and proud to have had him pass on his passion to me. I still build these same pistols.  ENJOY THE PICTURES!

I had the pleasure of hearing Mr Kennedy's talk on pistols at Dixon's Gunmaker's faire in July 05'. He also took the time prior to discuss ebony stock materials with me. Sad to read this.

Via con Dios.

Dances for nickels.