*********SPOILER ALERT**********

Rumba Rue

My thoughts.

I loved the movie. I felt it was very intense and well done. Yes I caught all the things Iron Bess mentioned to see. Some great lines and laughs, though some were kinda ruined for me because of all the promotion for the film on TV.

What I had a really hard time with was what Tia Dalma was saying. I don't know if it was the sound system in the theater or just my bad hearing. But most of what she said I couldn't understand.

I loved the cliffhanger ending. I was actually almost cheering when I saw Barbossa.

I also thought the flim flash at the end of the credits was cute.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts.

I loved the movie. I felt it was very intense and well done. Yes I caught all the things Iron Bess mentioned to see. Some great lines and laughs, though some were kinda ruined for me because of all the promotion for the film on TV.

What I had a really hard time with was what Tia Dalma was saying. I don't know if it was the sound system in the theater or just my bad hearing. But most of what she said I couldn't understand.

I loved the cliffhanger ending. I was actually almost cheering when I saw Barbossa.

I also thought the flim flash at the end of the credits was cute.

You're not the only one having a hard time hearing some of the dialogue. Some of it came across as mumble. Quite a few people I've talked to all around have said the same thing. One friend said this is why he wasn't all crazy with the first one and has yet to see the 2nd one. The dialogue tends to get mumbled at times and people are left thinking, "huh?"

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Silkie... thanks for the reminder on the quote.

So... a couple of quick thoughts here, probably way off base.

Jack takes at least two items while at Tia's cabin (hut? hovel?) The first I'm not quite sure what it was... he pockets it pretty quickly. The second is the ring (black stone in a gold setting) that sits next to the heart-shaped pendant with the womans face... the one that is identical to the music box on Davey Jones keyboard. (I would say 'organ' but it sounds funny)

Now, this is probably nothing more than my imagination, but looking at those two identical items, it seemed they reminded me of something... the carapice of the Heikegani, or Samuri Crab found in Japan. The carapice of this crab has the appearance of a human warrior's face. Given that the crew of the Flying Dutchman all take on the appearance of various sea creatures, and that there seem to be oriental pirates in the third movie, I wonder if there might be something to that or not.

Probably not, but I needed a speculation all my own. :lol:

Having the same heart shaped box with Jones and Tia makes me wonder? Maybe that was the woman Jones loved? And being an inter - racial relationship thats why they could not be together. Who's to say, just a theory I came up with after seeing it the second time.

Oh, how beautiful it used to be

Just you and me, far beyond the sea

-Nightwish

Alice Mason, Crewe of the Archangel

Brig. Inter-racial has nothing to do with Jones' relational Love interest.

As to the mumbling... I was able to catch it. The theater I attend has a very good sounds system. 2nd only to the IMAX here in town.

Lots of dialects and accents in th' film. Not use to it, you miss the dialogue.

~Lady B

:P

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I didn't have any trouble with the accents. Once I picked up on the Jamaican rhythm of Tia Dalma's speech, the rest was easy.

As for any interracial complications with a romantic relationship; look to history. Before the 20th century, it wasn't really a problem. Formalities here and there, yes. But problems? No.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Okay, here's my take no prisonsers wild a$$ guess on the future plot lines, with absolutely no basis in anything so tawdry as facts and perhaps even deliberately controversial.

Davy Jones' lost love is somehow related to Captain Barbossa, perhaps they were rivals and Jones lost. Also, Jack will turn out to be related to someone unexpected, like Beckett or Tia, or maybe even Bootstrap (and Will). Let's go with Beckett just to be rowdy.

So I'll go with ... Jack and Beckett are brothers who had a falling out over a woman, Tia, and both are actually Barbossa's sons, and nephews of Jones. And why not throw in that the woman who caused Jones and Barbossa trouble is actually Will's mother (or maybe Elizabeth's instead).

I too had trouble with hearing the dialog and my wife really did, but then our theater says they run both Dolby Digital and THX sound so perhaps they're sort of screwed up anyway.

I wish I could remember the show that contains the line:  "Turn the thing!  And that other thing!"

The Princess Bride

"Turn that thing! Not that thing, the other thing!"

Vizzini's ramblings. Love 'em.

"You must travel to t'ends of t'eart and beyand", etc. -- WHAT is with that accent? Monkey Island's Voodoo Lady was never that bad, and she was pretty loopy. Frankly, I think they completely overdid the Token Black Witch Doctor schtick.

Interesting take on Jack & Beckett being brothers!

Since DMC so closely mirrored Empire Strikes Back, it would make sense to have the 3rd movie focus on a surprise sibling relationship aka Luke & Leia. Especially since we know that KR will be showing up as Jack's dad, which lends credence to the idea of the final movie being about the family.

I have a pet theory on the trilogy's ending, where Elizabeth turns out to be the most piratey-pirate of 'em all, and was just playing the men all along. She takes the Pearl and sails off leaving the dumbfounded men marooned. But it's just an off-the-cuff guess that probably isn't very feasible. Though it does explain her darker turn.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I must admit I too had some trouble understanding Tia's dialouge, even though the sound in the theater was really good overall. I think her character could have been just as effective with a slightly less pronounced (no pun intended) accent. First rule of accents in the theater... if nobody can understand what you are saying, then there's no point in saying the lines. The first few words out of your mouth are the most important, as they acclimate the audience to your speech patterns. After that, they figure out what to listen for, and it's easier to follow the accent.

A minor quibble tho. I'm just trying to figure out why it looked like she'd been drinking Tidy-Bowl. <_<

NOAH: Wow... the whole world flooded in just less than a month, and us the only survivors! Hey... is that another... do you see another boat out there? Wait a minute... is that a... that's... are you seeing a skull and crossbones on that flag?

Ministry of Petty Offenses

It's like they adopted the white hat / black hat idea from old westerns...

White teeth = good

Grubby teeth = morally abiguous or bad

No, that all falls down because Davy Jones and the Kraken had pearly whites. So did that EIC eel, Beckett.

Well, that's a theory up in smoke. <_<

Remind me not to look too closely in the mirror... :huh:

Hmmm I like the idea that there is quite a surprise involving Elizabeth coming up. Let's keep in mind that it's a Disney film, so maybe she's a mermaid that is working to rid her kingdom of whatever ill effects Davy Jones is causing.

Not withstanding the above speculation, I hereby change my earlier speculation to now speculate that Jack and Elizabeth are brother and sister and are working together to some heroic end. So far she's always been around to either make Jack look heroic or to get his goods out of hock when she was most needed. All the sexual tension is just them play acting to throw people off. And somehow Jones is their father and the whole getting the heart thing was actually to free Jones not Jack. Yeah, it's a little problematic that Jones sent the Kracken to kill them all, but he's heartless right now and will change when he gets his heart back. <_<

Legal Disclaimer: I reserve the right in perpetuity to arbitrarily alter any and all outrageous speculation and to change said outrageous speculation to an outlandish speculation without any prior notifification, missive, message, signal of other communication.

So Elizabeth gave her "brother" a tounge kiss I'd happily save him from? Bring on that bloody Kraken, mate! And the thump-thump should be served up with Norrington fricassee in a rum sauce. And Beckett flambé for dessert. <_<

Legal Disclaimer: I reserve the right in perpetuity to arbitrarily alter any and all outrageous speculation and to change said outrageous speculation to an outlandish speculation without any prior notifification, missive, message, signal of other communication.

<_<:huh::huh:

I love all the speculation on what POTC 3 will bring! Is there anyway we can dredge up our old posts about what we thought POTC 2 would be about? Should be good for a few laughs...

And, to think, Iron Bess is probably getting the biggest chuckle of all -- because SHE KNOWS!

A thought for all you to ponder.

Filming is to resume in August in the Bahamas on POTC3, yet the Flying Dutchman was just towed to Disney's Private Island, Castaway Cay.

So did Davy Jones meet his end early in POTC3?

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Filming resuming the the Bahamas? It was elsewhere to my understanding, not in the tropics. Since they asked for a casting call.

::Shrugs:: And that it was my understanding that they were finished with their filming in the Bahamas and likewise areas.

Interesting speculations on #3. But... I don't see it too much like Empire Strikes Back. Reason being... I've decided to pull away from those kind of analogies. Why? Ruins the fun and magic. At least for me.

I'm just there... to enjoy the story and the adventure. And I am.

Again, listening to various dialects and accents a lot around here... I guess one gets use to hearing and understanding what others say. Ditto with reading handwriting.

As to the lost love... B) Very, cute... :::points to name::: Should I feel honored?

But... at the moment... I'm not attempting to try and figure things out for the 3rd film or even dwell upon it. I reserve comment on why... but all in all in the end... I REALLY hope it doesn't end with what I recall learning about #3.

Not that I am saying there shouldn't be a #4... I'd LOVE to see a #4.. but not one that is entirely linked to #2 and #3.

Again... Elizabeth appears more the "Changing, harsh and untamable as the sea" type. But.. oh, well.

Can't wait though to see Jones and Elizabeth come face to face... just as I am with Barbossa working alongside Elizabeth and Will.

~Lady B

B)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!