*********SPOILER ALERT**********

Rumba Rue

OK - just got back from the theater. And, yes this whole thread is a spoiler, so I just now read everyone's comments.

Mad Jack, I totally agree -- loved it, had that wonderful feeling of delight in the experience, just like I did after the first movie.

Christine, I totally agree -- Jack Davenport is HOT in this one! That took me by surprise.

Lady B, I totally agree -- I screamed with delight at the ending! I'm so glad I had avoided reading about the film beforehand, so that took me by surprise, too.

What I will say is this: if you hadn't seen --not just seen, but studied -- the first movie, I can't imagine how you could understand or keep up with this one. I really think it's aimed at serious fans of POTC -- I mean, how would you even get the "undead monkey" thing unless you stayed thru the credits of the first film.

Anyway, now I'm too wound up to sleep, so I'll go back to reading everyone else's reviews. :P

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went last night and loved it! I will see it a few more times that's for sure. There is so much going on you'll need to see it more than once.

The only thing I would say against it was I couldn't really understand what Will's dad was saying half the time or the witch/gypsy lady in the swamp 3/4 of the time.

It sure was great to revisit with these character again! :P

wil22.gif

I saw it last night, Sold out here as well. I did not think it was like the first at all, it was very diffrent to me. In fact I laughed more in this one and was on the edge of my seat in the really good parts. I would love to go see it at least two more times.

The movie was GREAT!!!!!!

*Norrington was very intresting in this film...*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

I just saw it last night as well. As far as I'm concerned, I thought it was great. Even my girlfriend enjoyed it and she usually can't stand sequals. She says they're way too predictable. She said Dead Man's Chest was incredibly engaging and that she couldn't believe how they ended it. I just grinned.

I can't wait to see it again as well. Sorry ladies, I can't relate to the whole Norrington transformation :lol: but I will take my hat off for Ms. Swan :). More than once if need be !

Well, I've slept on it (overslept actually -- I was supposed to go in and work overtime today, but screw that!) and my feelings are still the same as last night.

I had the same sort of feeling as when you are opening a present, especially if you have a good idea what's in the box. Before you open it, you have a very good idea that you'll like it. But there's so many pieces! You'll have to make some sense of all this!

The movie seemed to come at me so fast, I didn't have time process it all. That's probably more due to my level of alertness (my normal bedtime is about 9:30) than the movie. I guess I'll just have to see it again and again and again. I wonder if I'll be able to drag Red Bess along?

One thing I particularly liked was the double entendre of the title: Dead Man's Chest. I'm sure everyone was just assuming that the chest in question was a treasure chest. But it's also Davy Jones' actual chest and the hole therein. (I wonder how that will translate into other languages? Hey Charity - what's it called in Dutch?) I don't have a guess as to who broke his heart, but I have a feeling that clockwork music box has something to do with it.

I didn't think any the lines were "rehashed" at all.  Comics use a device all the time called a "callback".  A joke that plays off an earlier one, making the audience feel like they're on the inside.  Used effectively, as it was here, it can be very funny.  Maybe not belly-laugh funny, but enough to tickle the old funny bone.

Ah, yes, the infamous Throw-Back Dialogue. That happened in the Monkey Island series quite frequently, and served as an excellent in-joke for those who had played previous games.

Again, Critics be damned! For all I care, Davy Jones can come for their souls and force them to be the decor of the Flying Dutchman.

Speaking of critics-as-decor, have you seen Muppet Treasure Island? Statler and Waldorf play a part very close to what you've described.

Another thing I want to know, how did Norrington get so yummy-looking? Ditching the wig, letting the long hair down and letting some facial hair grow was a definite improvement!

I think the Disney Adventure comics had a hand in that. And another question: How many of us realized that Norrington was already yummy-looking in the first film?

(And did anyone else think Barbossa was hot?)

I think the Disney Adventure comics had a hand in that. And another question: How many of us realized that Norrington was already yummy-looking in the first film?

(And did anyone else think Barbossa was hot?)

Norrington was featured in the Disney Adventure Comics? Hmmm. I might have to check that out.

And yes, I did have a bit of a thing for Norrington in the first film. I thought he was good looking but needed to loosen up quite a bit. Thank God for Rum!

As for Barbossa, wasn't particularly fond of him in the first film - now, however :lol:

how did Norrington get so yummy-looking? Ditching the wig , letting the long hair down and letting some facial hair grow was a definite improvement!

Thats it, Im going to quit shaveing. :lol:

I liked the movie. Yes it came at me real fast and I know theirs things I missed. So I will be going back to see it again in the theater. And I wont hesetate to get the DVD.

I wish more men would turn to the way of beards. They be so darned sexy. :P

I will definitely get the DVD... if I have any plunder left after seeing the movie. :lol:

I know; it's really amazing how many things you get only the second (or third, or fourth) time... especially if the last time you watched it was before your neurons really started to kick in.

Well by now most of us have seen the movie so there shouldn't be much to spoil. I was wondering am I the only one who believes the real heart of Davy Jones is that musical locket of his and not the heart in that chest? After all if the key for the chest was so important why didn't Jack's compass work when everyone tried to use it? Also the vodoo woman said the reason he cut out his heart was because he had no use for it. (Granted she said it a heavy accent and more poetic than that.) And why if the heart was so valuable would Jones bury it where he could only go once every ten years?

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

Well by now most of us have seen the movie so there shouldn't be much to spoil. I was wondering am I the only one who believes the real heart of Davy Jones is that musical locket of his and not the heart in that chest? After all if the key for the chest was so important why didn't Jack's compass work when everyone tried to use it? Also the vodoo woman said the reason he cut out his heart was because he had no use for it. (Granted she said it a heavy accent and more poetic than that.) And why if the heart was so valuable would Jones bury it where he could only go once every ten years?

There's an idea.

Did anybody else notice that Tia Dalma had a locket that looked very similar to the one Davy Jones had?

Unless she is older than she looks I don't think it's the vodoo woman, but you know she knows who it was. I bet whoever it was she looked alot like our dear Elezabeth. Which would make for a very interesting meeting when they finally meet.

The locket motif was also very prominate on the chest's lock. Another reason to believe the locket is the real key to Davy Jones.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

It would seem that Tia Dalma does in fact have something to do with Davy Jone's lost love.......but, I wonder if it's so simple as to be her.......?

She's obviously a Pirate Magnet in some way.....as they all ended up there......

The compass only points at what you 'really want'.........

It doesn't work for Jack.....(he doesn't know what he wants? he doesn't realize where it's pointing?)

Elizabeth's always points to Jack....... (hmmmmmm? well....obviously ALL our compasses would point to Jack...LOL!)

Either way.....short the sci-fi look of the monsters....( the undead pirates were SO much more appealing to me....) I was in love with it all! It was like old friends.......

But....TOO much input! I need to see it several times more....and, take notes! LOL!

As for Norrington? Wow.

While I can do without facial hair......that scurvy lost look is a REAL turn on.......and, it goes without saying....for me.....the longer the hair......the hotter...........and, they just don't make 'em like that much anymore.......

(sigh)

Side note: Any Absolutely Fabulous fans?

Wasn't Beckett Saffy's boyfriend in the Last Shout?

Drove me crazy for awhile while trying to place his voice.....

Also, Pride & Prejudice? Aye...?

saw it friday morning at a 10am showing ....incredible cg effects i like a good complex storyline that makes me think to follow everything! ;););)

and as for the beards .... ;) mine has been on m' chin for 45 years not sure i have but 1 picture of me without it from the early 60's

;):lol::P

I think Tia Dalma is Davy Jones love, she wears a locket the same as the chest...Elizabeth and Will still get married, Norrington finds himself a lady and his position is returned..or maybe he just takes his lass and sails the sea, although he did still seem perturbed by Will and Liz...more so than the first movie let on.

Jack..He needs to find hisself a girl and not Liz! Poor fellow only has a jar of dirt. But Im assuming the jar of dirt was to help Jack's Black Spot since DJ can not go on land except every 12 years. So the dirt and him being near to land somehomw holds the Black Spot at bay...or am I wrong?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Don't worry about Davy Jones' backstory. You'll get it in 3.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Reading this thread is eerily reminiscent of the conversations last night...

Three of us went to see the movie. My two companions thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, and I really enjoyed the movie, but thought the first was a better film. That seems overall to be about the same proportion here - so now I'm just another statistic.

When I was pointing out why I liked the first one better, everybody was taking that as me panning this one - not my intent, but they insisted that I explain why I liked the first better, and there you go.

It will likely help if I go back when the crowds have thinned a bit, because the kicking of the back of my seat doesn't help my mood - not malicious, just a smallish theatre.

And the only spoiler in my review: Who else was shocked by Elizabeth carrying Jack's baby...? I was floored... :ph34r:

sig2.jpg