BOOTS anyone?

Silent

Dearest Bo,

I weep to bid farewell to you, but stand courageous in the fact that you will be pursuing such a noble cause.

Best of luck with your scholarship. I am quite certain you will make us all proud.

Kass

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

A friend used to recomend a guy named Al Seguto (sp?)in the US.  I never saw the boots but he also had a couple of Juniper pair so his opinion mattered

Al Saguto, when last I heard, was the big time cordwainer in Williamsburg. He had another guy working with him... Tim... Tim... dang. Drawing a blank on the last name. Their work is top-notch.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Tim-tim Dang? Chinese fella?

And just to add something useful, yes Kevin Garlick's shoes are fantastic.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Tim-tim Dang? Chinese fella?

And just to add something useful, yes Kevin Garlick's shoes are fantastic.

:lol:

Ed! Thanks, you've just given me a great name for an npc in my upcoming GURPS Traveller Interstellar Wars game!

Ummm... mandatory piratical content... hmmm... ok, the players are space pirates... not good enough... ok... not good enough? Historical content!

Interview with Al

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

My shoes are from Kevin... and I do like them.

KG website is here http://www.kmgarlick-shoemaker.co.uk/

But when you are ready to get some authentic buckles... let me know because I have had some made up, have approved the sample (see below) and should have them ready to ship out by Mid October.

Take a look (also, this is one of Kevin Garlick's shoes.)

GOF-1680-1720-1.jpg

and

GOF-1680-1720-2.jpg

GOF-1680-1720-4.jpg

These were made up from an original in my collection.

This style would be good throughout the GAoP, and if I recall correctly, it will take about a 3/4th inch latch.

Let me know if any of you are interested.

Greg aka GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• 4 weeks later...

Having been wowed by their website, I ordered a pair of Caboots stock Black Smooth Jack Sparrow "Pirates II" boots back in September. 30 days later, I'm on the second go-round of returns, still trying to get them to ship something that's actually wearable, and of the same style, size and features as shown on the website for what's supposedly a stock item.

So far, I've been shipped boots with poorly stitched tops, badly made/unfinished/unlined cuffs, nails poking through the insole on one heel, unfinished edges on the cuffs, irregularly cut cuffs, fraying stitching on the cuffs, cuffs too big for the style, toes not per the stock item description, received different sizes than ordered, and different soles than the ones shown as "neoprene" on their website.

Another item of note is that the back seam on the boot is not turned very well -- it is not flat. Even when "lined" as per the boot on the website, the cuffs can only be worn in the "down" position because of the shoddy way they're attached to the boot shaft. In general the workmanship I've seen from them so far can't even match a bad pair of "factory second" ropers from another well known Texas boot company.

I'll give them another chance to fix the issues, but the return fees and shipping costs are starting to make them an expensive pair of costume boots. So far, I'm into them for $275, plus shipping 3 ways at 10+ bucks a pop, plus $20 worth of return fees, totalling about $350 once sales tax is added. And, with a 50% restocking fee on refunds for stock items, my patience is wearing a little thin with them.

I'm beginning to think that a pair of buckle shoes would have been a better investment.

Hmm. I have had nothing but great service from them. I've bought two differetn sets of "Sparrow" boots. The second par were overstock from potc 2&3 and are identicle to the ones in the film.

As far as being able to only wear them turned down... That's the style you asked for. It's the way they were worn in the film and the ones that are of that style are left over stock from the films which were never meant to be worn any other way.

Not sure about the mails and such as mine were nothing but comforatable and a darn good fit for being "off the shelf" as the potc2$3 boots are premade and not custom sizes like the rest of their boots.

Hope you get what you are after.

I'm beginning to think that a pair of buckle shoes would have been a better investment.

*snicker*

I agree. Unless of course, you are going after the sparrow look, in which case you are kinda obligated.

Good luck

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Whether boots are "authentic" or not, a good place to start would be www.caboots.com & www.renboots.com.

Boots aint cheap but I don't know how a pirate is expected to swash buckles without them... :huh:

I buckle my swash just fine......It's this damn Buccan I can't fasten to my eers.....

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

Looks like the third time was a charm -- I just got another replacement pair from Caboots that are excellent. Most comfortable pair of boots I've ever worn.

The A9 boots I ordered (while finally matching the description on their website) are a little different from the style of film boots they made for POTC 2 & 3, and have a slightly narrower cuff. They appear to be having some consistency issues with the folks making them, but have made a few changes on the shop floor and seem to be getting it right now. It looks like the last pair I got were a mish-mash of incorrect styles that were labelled as A9's.

It took a few tries to get it right, but I can't fault their customer service folks (Lawrence in particular worked really hard to get the order right). When their shop folks get it right they're top notch, but when they get it wrong (ouch, literally).

Now, on to finding a good pair of shoes for when the boots won't be appropriate....