BOOTS anyone?

Silent

wow... that will certainly open the flood gates.........

There are already a few threads here at the pub that discuss both whether boots are appropriate, and where to get them.

I would say that next to authenticity in general, boots are one of the most hotly debated in the Pirate community.

So do a search for "boots" in the pub search and you should get enough reading material for at least 3 hours.

And

There are probably enough boot wearers here at the pub that have tried various makers and could make some recomendations

Good Luck!

Greg

aka GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I'm on the prowl too. I have decided to revive my old Missouri Partisan Ranger charachter from the Civil War, so I'm going with the boots for that impression. Would like to hear comments from anyone who has dealt with the vendors on the pub links. Who's the best for themoney?

Pirates didn't wear boots.

They didn't? Not even in bad weather? Or while on horseback as the dragoon-arm of an invading pirate army? :rolleyes:

I'm sure pirates must've worn boots at some time. And remember, we have a pic of Spanish sea boots in that Spanish sailor equipment picture.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Oh John, do stop blithering... The acquisition of property has obviously made you insane! :D

<helpless female>If only Mr. Foxe could come and save me!</helpless female>

:rolleyes:

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Whether boots are "authentic" or not, a good place to start would be www.caboots.com & www.renboots.com.

Boots aint cheap but I don't know how a pirate is expected to swash buckles without them... :rolleyes:

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

Whether boots are "authentic" or not, a good place to start would be www.caboots.com & www.renboots.com.

Boots aint cheap but I don't know how a pirate is expected to swash buckles without them... :lol:

As for Caboots... WATCH OUT!!! unless you can purchase something off the shelf DO NOT GO THERE FOR PRODUCT! I had them make me a pair of 17th century boots for a highwayman impression... THEY SWORE UP AND DOWN THEY COULD DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the end result....LOOKED NOTHING LIKE THE RESEARCH I SENT THEM, WERE THREE WEEKS LATE, AND I GAVE THEM A DUE DATE ONE MONTH EARLIER THAN WHEN I NEEDED THEM AND THEY SWORE THAT DATE WASN'T GOING TO BE A PROBLEM AND THEY NOT ONLY DIDN'T FIT BUT TURNED MY ANKLE INTO BLOODY PULP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I guess you could say I would NEVER recommend them! Just my two cents....

Hector

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Well, thanks for the warning Capt Sterling...Bilgemunky gave them a good review though...I haven't bought anything from them yet, but I was planning to in a month or two...I'll be careful.

Perhaps the problem was that your boots were a custom design...Let's hope their standard fair is a little more reliable..Anyone else have caboots boots?

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

• 2 weeks later...
...Bilgemunky gave them a good review though

Indeed, I gave them an overall good review. But I also spent some effort explaining my own issues on getting my original order altered, as the boots that first arrived did not suit my expectation. In the end they did a very good job for me, but I wouldn't swear by them. And mailorder custom boots can be tricky business anyways...

Personally, I love the boots I ended up with, but it took some effort and extra back-and-forth shipping. But I'm also increasingly appreciating my Flying Canoe shoes - much cooler in the summer, and stripey socks are SO much fun (and if stripey socks aren't historical, I don't want to hear it ^_^ )

I AM BILGEMUNKY

• 1 month later...

I would also recommend CABoots, but with the same warning. My final pair are very well made, and exactly what I wanted. BUT. I did have some trouble with getting the right size which did merrit a return trip for the first pair. But all in all, great boots, nice people, and in the end did everything possible to make me happy.

GageSig.png

Yes, Sarah is still making shoes (and boots).

You can find a link to her site here

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/basic_kit.htm

and more on shoes and buckles here

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/footwear.htm

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

She is still working. Her work is still amazing. Can't speak to her timeline though. Google her name. She's got a website, but you have to order by phone.

found it thanks!

http://www.sarahjuniper.co.uk/

I'm sure the wait is huge, it always has been.

I can tell you that OVER 20 years on of ownership they are fantastic....

$478 (sterling not dollars) certainly isnt cheap, but If i ever replaced mine I would certainly go to her again. if you consider long term use and how fantastic the construction was, not a bad buy

Biggest problem now is my white buff pair (yes i said WHITE) are simply too small at the ankle for me to get into anymore. My brown officers pair (bought second hand 22 years ago)are in bad repair with stitches and patches, but i love them still. There was a time I was wearing them around 100 day a year, now I havent been in period clothing for a couple years.

A friend used to recomend a guy named Al Seguto (sp?)in the US. I never saw the boots but he also had a couple of Juniper pair so his opinion mattered

I haven't heard of Al Seguto, but I have heard excellent things about Kevin Garlick's work. Here's his website:

http://www.kmgarlick-shoemaker.co.uk/ His work is not limited to the pictures on his website. I have heard friends say that his shoes are the most comfortable they have ever worn, bar none.

Someone told me that Kevin started out as an apprentice of Sarah Juniper, but I don't know if this is true or not.

Either he is doing a website update or his site has been scuttled. (ie bad link)

Either way, anyone know of a another Cobbler, I could just send a feet trace too for a pair of straight-laced 18th Century buckle shoes. Would love to order from Flying Canoe but it seems they do not do mail orders. That sinks my sloop since I can not travel any great distances due to no permanent ship in my harbor and I have to book passage with some other ship to travel large distances. ((hard way to saying I have no car.))

I am still looking for an online cobbler but help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

~Tora of Tortuga~

:lol:

If you're referring to Kevin Garlick, Tora, I assure you that his website is online. I visited it this morning. I suggest you try the link again later.

I just ordered my cavalry boots from Fall Creek Sutlers. They are Civil War, but they do custom work, and are very freindly to do business with. The work is great and they have an outstanding reputation in the CW community. Price for knee flap cav. boots is $230. You might give them a call. http://www.fcsutler.com/

You are too kind M'Lady! But alas, the Capt. is soon to die. It is time to move on. I still enjoy the historical discussions here and your knowledge of costume thru the ages is priceless. I have entered my second semester of college on my way to a masters in education/social sciences, so that I may be able to teach history/geography/etc. etc. to the future generations. And teach it ACCURATELY.. not the drivel too many are passing off as such these days. Adieu for now M'Lady. Bo