Private Pyrate Boats

Do you own a Boat, and if so, what size?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a Boat, and if so, what size?

• No boat here
    • I have a few models of boats
    • Rubber Raft/Kayak/Canoe
    • Rowboat/Lake-size fishing boat
    • Speedboat
    • Deep draft bay fishing vessel
    • Sailboat
    • Yacht (under 20')
    • Yacht (over 20')
    • Aircraft Carrier (over 50,000 tons)

Does my 225' Coast Guard buoy tender count? We board others. I just put models, though, because that's all I personally own. So far, a model of the USS Constitution, Cutty Sark, Lady Washington (scratch built), and I'm working on the HMS Beagle (of Darwin fame).

Coastie :lol:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I have a 10 X 15 party pontoon out near Aquaview Arizona. My family and I like to cruise up to Laughlin and back when time permits. It's a great way to spend the day, no cannons yet, but I have a nasty airsoft rifle for those pesky jet-skiers when they get to close. I have a Seadoo GTX also, we tow it and use it to check ahead on busy days.

I have a 10 X 15 party pontoon out near Aquaview Arizona. My family and I like to cruise up to Laughlin and back when time permits. It's a great way to spend the day, no cannons yet, but I have a nasty airsoft rifle for those pesky jet-skiers when they get to close. I have a Seadoo GTX also, we tow it and use it to check ahead on busy days.

Ever fish off of it? I haven't been to Laughlin in ages.

Jack and I have an inflatable that we tool around in the Redwood Shores lagoons.

We're also restoring a 78' hermaphrodite brigantine called the Rendezvous (used to do charters on San Francisco Bay.) It belongs to a man named Andy Gray and we're helping him turn it into a pirate boat.

Rendezvous.jpg

RHJMap.jpg

RumbaRue Posted on Jul 6 2006, 11:16 AM

QUOTE (Red Dog @ Jul 5 2006, 10:41 PM)

Ever fish off of it? I haven't been to Laughlin in ages. 

I have family that have tried, I kinda like to take the helm when we head out, or I run the seadoo and clear a path on busy days. Laughlin's nice for awhile but it gets small pretty fast, I do my serious gambling there, I like to play around in in Vegas though, more to see.

My present boat is a bay boat with a blown engine. Blew the engine the same week that I learned that, at 43, I was to become a father (again). Suddenly spending $8,000 on a new engine didn't seem prudent. Fast forward 4 1/2 years. I'm looking for a sailboat, 20-30 foot, full keel. I'll keep you posted.

Also, for all of you ancient mariners out there, I recommend the book "Call of the Ancient Mariner" by Reese Palley. It is a guide and manifesto for all of us old folks to keep sailing and making long sea passages.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Jill! Tell the owner of that boat that he needs to relocate to Tampa Bay. Less competition, warmer weather, girls in bikinis. Also, I know a real good first mate with lots of sailing/hotel/restaurant/bartending/black powder/cannon/re-enacting/service industry/woodworking/ boatbuilding experience. I'm also a biologist so we could run eco-tours as well. Really.

Please?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Jill! Tell the owner of that boat that he needs to relocate to Tampa Bay. Less competition, warmer weather, girls in bikinis. Also, I know a real good first mate with lots of sailing/hotel/restaurant/bartending/black powder/cannon/re-enacting/service industry experience. I'm also a biologist so we could run eco-tours as well. Really.

Please?

If he does that, there will be a lot of VERY unhappy pirates here - especially me. So you're just going to have to visit us! :)

More restoration pics:

2f4627b9.jpg

d75763ae.jpg

RHJMap.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I own a wee 24' Bayliner Trophy—but I'd hardly call it a yacht. We use it more as a motel room than a boat, mainly cause the engine needs a tune-up. We're currently looking for something a bit bigger—with a bathroom. Those 10pm hikes to the marina bathroom get to be real old!

We're pulling it out of the water this weekend, for its yearly "careening." B)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• 3 weeks later...

Iron Jack and I just bought a 30' Clipper Marine with another piratical couple (the founder of our pirate group and her husband.) We had a few things to fix, but we're taking her on her first sail this weekend!

Her previous owner named her La Pescada Azul, but since pescada isn't quite a word (it's supposed to be pescado) and tends to mean the fish on your plate rather than the fish swimming in the ocean, we're renaming her La Sirena Azul (the blue mermaid).

Azul6.jpg

RHJMap.jpg

I've got an old fibreglass canoe that's bright yellow and weighs a ton, and a paddle-boat held together with Marine Goop and a pagan prayer.

My husband J. has the plans to build a wooden sabot -- but we haven't got around to finding the marine plywood (or the time) for it yet. Other woodworking projects always seem to take precedence -- like replacing the soft planks in our on-land decks [we have 3 - back deck at home, front and back deck at the cottage].

I'm angling for a small sailboat here in the city too -- a dagger-board type that we can pop on top of the car and launch from the beach that's just 2 miles south of here.

And I was dreaming over the sailing magazines at Chapters today. I want a sailboat that's small enough for the two of us to crew by ourselves, but large enough that we could sail down the east coast all the way to Florida (and beyond?).

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I just bought a 1946 wood hulled sail boat. It's about 18' in length, and we hope to turn it into our own mini pirate ship. We plan to build up the walls of the boat to add gun ports; re rig it with a couple headsails, a gaff and a single square top sail; and once we figure out how we are also going to add a ship's wheel. Plus the little stuff like a figurehead, rat lines, etc. We are going to call her the Evening Star.

As far as sailing goes I have no clue as to what I am doing, but my husband re-assures me that it isn't that hard. I have loved pirate history and lore for as long as I can remember and my husband as wanted a sailboat for as long as I have known him, so it's kinda hard to say which came first.

I start to wonder

with me pockets full of plunder,

is there more to life at sea

than piracy? NO!

I'm angling for a small sailboat here in the city too -- a dagger-board type that we can pop on top of the car and launch from the beach that's just 2 miles south of here.

Cheers, Hester

If you wanna build it yourself or if your looking for ideas check out

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/

Their plans section is great

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans.htm

For the simpilest builds you can check out Jim Michalak section

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/michalak.htm

I did all that and then rembered she is on vacation with no net....oh well :lol:

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

• 1 month later...

Well, since I last posted on this thread, my husband and I found and bought a beautiful 28' 1978 Tollycraft, which is in showroom condition. AND, it has a bathroom!! :o Also a galley and master bunk in the bow. Wonderful boat, and we love it. Still no sails, but being on the water is what counts! We also need to change the name, as it is currently called the Sea Jay, after the former owners first initials C and J. Hopefuly, the new name will be something piratical sounding, and we'll hold a re-christening party.

BTW, if any of you out there are looking for a nice 24' Bayliner, we now have one for sale. :o

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Well, I don't OWN any boat, but my family has 2 canoes. And I live on the best canoeing river in the US; the Missouri. I know naught of sailing, but now a canoe, I know my way around that.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear, and life stands explained." --Mark Twain

• 2 months later...

Here be mockups #1 an 2. #1 was fer figgerin' out basic shapes an sizes fer the plywood panels. #2 was ta see iffins the shape was ta be appealin' ta th' eye. 1/6th actual size, 24"over th' deck length. Full scale 12' long, 6" draft, an 12" freeboard at design load.

cap_001.jpg

cap_017.jpg

Still debatin'w'meself wether twill be a proper sailin' vessel w' centerboard, sheets an the hassel o' learnin' ta sail, Or, the much more practical route o' being a two masted piraty lookin'rowboat ;)

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.