True Caribbean Pirates

Via the"Fore Topsail" from author James L. Nelson newsletter:

"The History Channel will be airing a show called Real Pirates of the Caribbean on July 9 at 8 pm (check local listings. I’m not sure what that means, but that’s what people always say). The documentary will cover the true history of piracy in the Americas, and features commentary by a number of well-know pirate experts, including James L. Nelson. In an effort to explode the myths of piracy, the authorities were placed on a set dripping with every pirate cliche in the book, including but not limited to rum casks, chests overflowing with jewels and coins, and sundry cutlasses and other weapons. Despite that minor complaint, it looks to be a good show, with re-enactments by a number of people in the pirate re-enactment community. Tune in!"

also: "James L. Nelson’s latest book, Benedict Arnold’s Navy, is in bookstores now. Benedict Arnold’s Navy is the first book-length treatment of one of the most intense naval actions of the American Revolution, the Battle of Valcour Island, in which Benedict Arnold (still a good guy) led the outclassed American fleet against the British under Guy Carleton in defense of Lake Champlain. The book also looks at the Northern Campaign of 1775-76 to set the battle in context, as well as the important aftermath and long-range consequences of the fight."

Best regards to ye all,

Jim-sib

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahoy, maytees!..To the best 'o my knowledge, the feature is 'True Carribean Pirates'...Should be great, and it was RR first real decent pirate type film...We're in Cleveland now, and we'll watch it here somewheres.... :lol:

:rolleyes:

ROYALISTE Raidin' Lake Eerie with Renewed Vigor......

• 3 weeks later...

A two ton heavy thing called my bottom will be weighin me down in front of the tv for this one surely! :)

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I think that is the book that one of my "book Pushers(1)" ordered because she thought I'd like it.........

(1) Book pushers, being the person that runs a bookstore that I go to all the time..... they know what I'm looking for.....so she ordered a few copys, knowing that I'd buy at least one of them.........

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you with Digital Comcast, A&E is running a "Real Pirates" program on their OnDemand selection. I only had time to watch about half of it last night, but it seemed decent.

Then again, anything might be a welcome respite after Hallmark's Blackbeard! B)

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

Last week, representatives from the History Channel contacted me and kindly offered to send me a prerelease copy of True Caribbean Pirates. It arrived on my doorstep two days ago, and I've managed to watch most of it (it's been a busy week.)

My full review will be posted next week at Bilgemunky.com, but I can say right now that it's a terrific special! The costumes seem a little too clean (especially Blackbeard), and some of the battle animations are less than seamless, but it's all wonderfully interesting and informative. The map views look like something right out of Sid Meiers', and - my favorite - they've "animated" a number of old paintings you'll recognize. It's a beautiful effect, and great fun to watch.

Definitely one to set your Tivo for!

edit: how did I forget to mention? Watch for commentary from not only James Nelson, but also Robert Ossian (webmaster of thepirateking.com), Richard Zacks (autor of Captain Kidd and The Pirate Coast), Benerson Little (author of Sea Rover's Practice), AND.... Christine Lampe!

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Ok, I'll do the usual and go against the grain...

I'll watch it, but I expect it'll suck. They'll get lots of little details wrong, and for the most part it will be a re-hash of every other pirate show ever aired on one of the so-called smartipants channels, but with better special effects.

If I watch it, and I am wrong in my expectations, I will gladly retract this statement.

:)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Problem with these shows is that they only have an hour to prevent the usual suspects and the same retread info. If they tried to present some info that the general public would find "new" and different, they would then have to spend most of the hour explaining it. Imagine opening the show with "pirates didn't really look any different than other period seamen". You've just booked the remaining 59 minutes with backing that up.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

For those of you with Digital Comcast, A&E is running a "Real Pirates" program on their OnDemand selection. I only had time to watch about half of it last night, but it seemed decent.

Then again, anything might be a welcome respite after Hallmark's Blackbeard! B)

Maybe I'm getting confused... or exhausted... or both... but I take it this is a different show than the one this thread was originally about? Either way, I did just watch this, and it is worse than I expected it would be.

<_<

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Digital Comcast is currently showing a 15-minute "behind the scenes" special (titled "True Pirates") about the upcoming History Channel "Real Pirates of the Caribbean" show (the subject of this topic thread). I watched (and taped) it this morning; looks pretty good.

(Trying to find it and you have Comcast OnDemand? First: "News & World", then "History Channel", then "American History" -- scroll to "True Pirates.") Assuming that Comcast OnDemand menus are the same from one geographical zone to another.

I looked all over the listings for the A&E "Real Pirates" thing, but could not find it. Are you talking about the History Channel one I cited here? Assuming you found a different show, could you please list a brief menu so I (and others) can find it? It was not under the A&E offerings... but maybe there is another sub-menu I could not locate. Thanks.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Let us clear up some confusion, shall we?

On the Hallmark Channel, on June 17th (past) "Blackbeard"

On the History Channel, on July 9th, "True Caribbean Pirates" [edited by moderator to correct name]

We can only hope that the History Channel lives up to its name, as the Hallmark production left us all who saw it stunned with its utter lack of any historical accuracy. Also, the costumes, acting and direction were horrid.

So, to stipulate: The History Channel “True Caribbean Pirates” has not yet aired. I would give this one a chance before burning your television, at least because it helps to support the Royaliste. Also, Christine Lampe of No Quarter Given is in it.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Capn Pete, sorry for the bad instructions. You have to go to TV Entertainment-->A&E-->Biography-->"Real Pirates"

As Blackjohn said, it wasn't particularly good, but I didn't think it was bad either. I could have done without the segues with the "pirate" guy...his speech was somewhat annoying. Still...I've seen worse...I'm looking at you Hallmark Blackbeard! :angry:

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

Avast!!!...There's still a wee bit 'o confusion, maytees!...The Hallmark gig used the Bill of Rights for Blackbeard, a 1900's more modern vessel, although one really big schooner....The History Channel July 9 at 8 eastern will aire 'True Carribean Pirates' (I know the name's right on cuz we cashed the check!)...using the likes of Royaliste, Lady Washington, The Brig Pilgrim, the Spirit of Dana Point, all pretty much 'period' ships ( the Lynx is also there, an 1813 schooner, but wot the 'eck)...this also stars Michael Lampe. I believe 'Jamaica Rose' is in 'Real Pirates of the Carribean'.......Jeesh!

Capn Pete, sorry for the bad instructions. You have to go to TV Entertainment-->A&E-->Biography-->"Real Pirates"

Fine navigation, mate!

I found it! Thank you very much. I re-cued my current pirate tape (the first half of which sadly has the full Hallmark Blackbeard show) and am taping it now as I watch it.

The Comcast show is sponsored by Charmin Bathroom Tissue. As the program started, my daughter made a very funny joke during the first pre-programmed Charmin commerdial... in a very pirate-y voice, she declared: "Ahhrrr! This toilet tissue be tearin' up me bum!"

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

OK, I think I know what happened here now. There were actually three shows being confused with each other.

The tag on this thread reads "Real Pirates of the Caribbean, History Channel, July 9th" and that is where the confusion begins because there is a show called "Real Pirates of the Carribean" but it's not on the History channel, its on A&E Biography. The history channel presentation is in fact called "True Caribbean Pirates". So, some links to clear it up once and for all (yeah, right)

On the Hallmark Channel, on June 17th (past) "Blackbeard." If you missed this you were lucky.

On A&E Biography, The Real Pirates of the Caribbean, on July 6 at 8PM.

On the History Channel, True Caribbean Pirates on July 9 at 8PM

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...