getting started in reenacting

Ahoy there,

I'm new to this pub here and I've got questions abound mates. How does one get involved in a reenacting crew? Is it a full time adventure or part time? Professional, hobby? Help this young, curious pyrate slake his thirst for knowledge.

Aye Young Pyrate, here is some information.

PYRATE BRETHREN c/o John Macek, 8040 Watermill Court, Elkridge, Md, 21075, (410) 799-1312, email jbmacek@yahoo.com Relive the Golden Age of Piracy. If you are interested in reenacting pirates from the 1690s to 1720s, we'd be interested in hearing from you. Our "ship" currently plies the waters of the Chesapeake with a crew from Maryland and Virginia. Step on up and make your mark in our book.

Or you can go to this site for a few other MD. troupes. www.noquartergiven.net/crews.htm#NORTHEAST

Cheers Mate. :ph34r:

signature4.jpg]

Welcome aboard Young Pirate!

Good question, and Black Foot has started you in the right direction...

I'll add my two cents though.

If you have searched the threads at the pub, or any other re-enacting related sites, you will find that their are different approaches. You used the term "re-enacting" though, and that means different things to different people, so we should probably try to get on the same sheet of music first.

To "generalize", here are the basic types of pirate re-enactors (though, this could apply to all re-enactors, not just pirate) and my estimate as to the percentages that they make up the re-enacting community.

1) Good time, Pirate "inspired" (70%)

These are the folks that are interested in pirates, and use it as an escape from their everyday life. They are more concerned with the "Spirit" of piracy than the mundane minutia, and base their kits off of what they would have worn if they were a pirate (sometimes with, but mostly without historical evidence)

2) Entertainers (10%)

These are the folks that usually (but not always) derive some sort of compensation for appearing in their pirate costumes and providing a service to the viewing public. They can be musicians, actors, roll players, or imitators. They base their kit off of either what the public perceives a pirate should be, or a famous character from fiction (Hollywood, literature, etc). In some instances, their car payment/tuition bill is dependent on getting the next gig, so meeting the needs of the public and the hiring agency takes precedent over historical accuracy.

3) Authentic Living Historians. (5%)

These are the folks that strive (not necessarily attain) the appearance and actions of historical pirates. Documentation is their watchword and they tend to be obsessive about details.

4) Somewhere in between (15%)

These may be folks with multiple kits that do it authentically when they have a chance, and for fun at other times, or someone that started in one group, and is moving into another group.

Why is all this important?

With lots of different groups out there, you want to find one that is the best fit for your personality and interest. If like to entertain and play a mean concertina, you might think about finding a group that entertains the public. If you like the minutia of the details, I suggest striving to find a group that has that as a goal as well.

The other things to consider are

Your age: if you are under 18, you may need to participate with one of your parents, as some groups own and operate firearms and swords. Liability is not a fun thing when it involves someone elses minor.

Your location: No sense in joining a fantastic pirate chantey singing group in LA if you live in Maine.

Financial resources: Even in the Fantasy pirate circles, kit/gear cost money. I don't think money precludes you from doing it authentically, as you can make some of your own gear. But if you don't have a lot of money, it may help to join a group that is eager to take on new folks and can loan stuff out to you until you get your own.

Now that you have a general idea of what kind of groups are out there, the next step would be finding a group in your area.

Blackfoot posted links to the No Quarter Given (NQG) site, and there are some listed here. I would call/e-mail some in your area and ask them about their groups philosophy and what events they attend.

With the POTC movie coming out soon, and summer upon us, there should be a lot of things going on. Check out the raids section here at the pub or the events section at NQG. 95% of the events listed will be for fun/faire/festival kind of events where authenticity is not an issue. But if you get to go, talk to as many different groups as you can.

I posted a list of MY top 10 pirate kit items in either the Captain Twill section or the Plunder section. I would give that a read to get an idea of what you need.

Also, don't hesitate to ask any question that you have here, or on other pirate sites.

Feel free to stop by my pirate website (there is a link in my signature below).

Good luck and we look forward to following your progress!

Greg aka Gentleman of Fortune

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Ayhoy there mates,

Thank ye for the kick in the right bearing! Too many a time I've tried looking for knowledge that none care to bestow upon a worthless-out-of-the-loop wretch like me-self. So thank ye sirs one and all for your informative and amazingly helpful responses.

With Deepest Regards,

Young Pyrate. :

:P

New here! New pirate, old reenactor. As a 11 year Civil War reenactor(stich counter) i can tell you there nothing like a hand done kit. The hard thing for me is going back in time after learning so much about the late 1800's. :lol:

Heaven be for those folks who like the sort of things that go on in Heaven

Watering pot plants, talking to God and such

Hell on the other hand be for those who like the sort of things that go on in Hell

Rape and Pillage throughout all eternity!

Straight to hell we go boy’s and we’ll be having the time of or lives

Right... if you want to be a pirate re-enactor and you are in Baltimore I might be worth contacting. If you want to play pirate dress-ups or be a pirate entertainer not worried about authenticity, you might be better off going elsewhere.

Here's the lay of it, if you want to do it right, you're looking at spending a thousand dollars on stuff. You won't have to spend it all up front, but over time you'll spend that much. And if you are lucky like me, over time you'll make enough money from having cool stuff that the hobby will pay for itself.

If you want to know more, email me, or go to The Pirate Brethren website and join either the mail list or the forum or both.

And... you can try catching some of us this weekend (including me hopefully... if I'm finished moving) at the Lockhouse Museum in Havre de Grace.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I whole heartedly agree with what Blackjohn said. You will get more enjoyment out of doing it right. You will spend more money, but you can do it for significantly less than you might think. To get you started, (let's assume you are doing Revolutionary War privateering because that is what I am most familiar with... I'm sure the pricing would be similar for GAoP... In fact, I can pretty much guarantee it.)

Britches will cost you about $55-$60

A shirt will be about $35-$45 (With ruffles, maybe $60, but only necessary if you plan to be an officer... Go with Jack Tar. It's cheaper.)

A sailor's coat $100 (not really necessary, but cool!)

Flintlock pistols start at $250-$300 (also not necessary, but check out used ones... Just be careful.)

Grab a silk scarf/bandanna for $10-$15 and you've got a start!

Shoes are the most painful purchase becuase they're not as cool as a sword, but they cost about the same... There is a very nice pair right now on the plunder forum for sale that are at least $55 below list value. Expect to pay about $130-$150 for almost any shoes with the buckles. As another option, you can forgo the buckles and fasten your shoes with a piece of sailing twine. This drops the price by about $35.

Bare minimum sailor (deckhand) impression will cost about $195.

Go to a Renn Faire and try to buy a full pirate COSTUME for that!!

If you want to go to the max, you can easily spend a fortune. Book value on my pirate captain frock coat alone is at least $700. And then there are the "insanely correct" options, like my hand-stitched linen ruffled shirt... Thank God my wife is an excellent seamstress!

If you want to save more money, borrow a sewing machine, ask someone to show you how it works, and buy one of Kass's patterns. Don't let anyone fool you: GUYS CAN SEW! (And they like it!) You could make your $195 outfit for $120!

I hope this helps you. I sincerely hope that you will join us on the dark side and become a "Tarpaulin Jack" instead of a "Polyester Pirate".

(Note to anyone who enjoys being a polyester pirate: I respect you for your enthusiasim and I mean no affront to anyone... :lol: )

Young Pyrate,

Here are some links that may help you along your way:

Smoke and Fire Company

Taylor-Rose Historical Outfitters

Jas. Townsend and Co.

Middlesex Village Trading Co. Pistols

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org