Dying bleached white shirt

Ubsey

I have a nice pirate shirt, but it looks too clean.

I'd like it to have a brown/tan color to it.. Without having to kick it around in the dirt.

I've heard that soaking it in some water with tea bags could give it a nice tint.

Any thoughts? Thanks mates.

That could work, so could coffee grounds.

Say.....it could be the rum, but I think this has been done before.

Try searching, mate.

Drunken_Parrot_Bar_Sign.jpg

You will be flogged. And God willing, come morning, you will be flogged some more.

That could work, so could coffee grounds.

Say.....it could be the rum, but I think this has been done before.

Try searching, mate.

I've tried, but didn't have much luck.

I'll try again though.

All great suggestions.

If you google "natural dyes" you might find some suggestions if you want a color other than beige/brown.

Linen seems to be a little more resistive to dyes than cotton... just a heads up.

Also, if you have those ultra white stockings, you might want to put them in the same bath (tea/coffee) to tone them down.

Good luck, and post picutures.

greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Also, to make the color more permanent, add vinegar to the tint water. This will make the water acidic and more "active" in dying the cloth.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

it will also depend on the fibre content of the garment if it is synthetic it will be extremely difficult to dye as there pigments are usually fused directly into the fibres when it is produced but if it's cotton silk linnen it should do fine with the natural dyes

One of the problems with tea dying.... don't let it soak too long, or it gets a orngish tint to it.......

I like to splash some deluted india ink on the still wet cloth to stain it more, and make it grubby....

Something else that work for destressing cloth.... wipe the soot from the inside of an oil lamp on a scrap of cloth, and sprinkle some of the soot on the cloth.... Now try to wipe it off.... then throw it into the washing machine.... it will eventually wash out.... but is easily 'renewed" and makes shirts and slops, nice and grungy......