Pirate Tavern

Ahoy mates!

Being inspired by Odorless Eye's and Blackjohn's talk of home pirate decor, I am wondering if any of you might have any photos, drawings, or any other type depictions of a pirate tavern from the 17th or 18th century, either real or fictional? (Mainly the exterior). The reason is, I am expanding and remodeling my workshop behind my home, and would like to design it to resemble a proper establishment of the afore mentioned type. The drawback, though, is it needs to be primarily wood, as I have little or no masonry skills. I do have one historical building I am using as a visual reference, the famous Pirate's House restaurant in Savannah, which actually used to be a pirate tavern in the 18th century. However, any other references any of you could help with would be most welcome and appreciated! :ph34r::ph34r:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Ahoy mates!

Being inspired by Odorless Eye's and Blackjohn's talk of home pirate decor, I am wondering if any of you might have any photos, drawings, or any other type depictions of a pirate tavern from the 17th or 18th century, either real or fictional? (Mainly the exterior). The reason is, I am expanding and remodeling my workshop behind my home, and would like to design it to resemble a proper establishment of the afore mentioned type. The drawback, though, is it needs to be primarily wood, as I have little or no masonry skills. I do have one historical building I am using as a visual reference, the famous Pirate's House restaurant in Savannah, which actually used to be a pirate tavern in the 18th century. However, any other references any of you could help with would be most welcome and appreciated! B):ph34r:

tavern.jpg

1660.2.jpg

gamble%20reckless.jpg

ep21.134.5.bw.R.jpg

These are primarily depictions of the late 1600s.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Wow! Thank you, William, for those awesome pics! I never knew so many different tavern scenes existed! B)

Rumba, yes, Savannah's Pirate's House is an awesome place indeed, you can even still see the entrance to the tunnel which led down to the riverfront, where men were supposedly shanghied, and goods were smuggled. The food there is truly outstanding as well, as it has been my pleasure to eat there on several occasions. A trip to Savannah would not be complete without a visit to this place. Here is a photo of it:

PiratesHouse.jpg

Anyway, so far, this building has been my design inspiration for my own backyard "Pirate's Tavern". Does anyone else know of or have pics of any pirate buildings similar to this?

Thanks again, William for those pics. Captain Midnight pulls a small leathern drawstring bag from the depths of his green coat, and shakes three shining, gold doubloons from it, laying them on the bar. "Good barkeep Ray, kindly pour pretty Rumba and Master Redwake and myself another round..." :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

(1945)

Just wondering, if you wanted to start plans on a real pirate bar what would you name it? I was thinking A Pyrat Pairadice. And no those aren't spelling mistakes.

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

It will indeed have a name, but so far, I havn't decided on one yet. Give me some time...you can be sure it will have a nice piratey name... :ph34r:

(1945)

Captain Midnight . I thank ye kindly for your words.

Some ideas...

I just watch POTC2 and Eye can suggest ye keeps an eye for

your ideas in that movie.

Most buildings of that era were of Spanish or English design.

am wondering if any of you might have any photos, drawings, or any other type depictions of a pirate tavern from the 17th or 18th century, either real or fictional?!

I don't know of French buildings in Jamaca but ye might ask for folks who been there to share some vacation pictures as well that have what your looking for. Good luck!

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Thanks Eye, I will indeed keep me eyes open for ideas in the movie. I havn't seen it yet, but will soon! :(

(1945)

These would be the buildings that served this purpose in Port Royal. Basically, they mirrored the typical houses or buildings in London. The floors were typically red brick herringbone. The buildings themselves were of wood.

QueenLime.jpg

Here is a color painting of the architecture as well. Forgive some of the image's look - an earthquake is occurring...

house.jpg

The roofs are slate and the brick fronts are simpy facades. The buildings themselves were of timbers and board.

In another two years, my new house will have this as its back yard, around a pond.

Sir Henrybuildings.jpg

I can't wait to play in the town.

"Land only holds promise if men at sea have the courage to fight for it."

- Sir Henry

Very cool, Sir Henry! Thanks! :huh:

(1945)

You could try and google the White Horse Tavern in Newport RI.... they claim the place was a major hang out for pyrates in its day and had numerous tunnels beneath it where pyrates hid their loot.... last Halloween we showed up for lunch, in our kit, which brought the owner out to see us and ask who we were... we told him we were the "tunnel inspectors" :ph34r:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/