Question for the Lasses

Huh...interesting question there. :lol:

I've only been called "lass" or "pirate lass" even though I suppose I don't really qualify for the latter. "Wench" is not a term I relish. I imagine I wouldn't really make a good wench now either. :lol: I'll stick with lass.

Nope, being a wench is not for me.

BlackBess-1.jpg

"Life's good, and why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate after all."

I have always thought of a wench as a bit of a tease or a flirt. And that's just not me. I like being called love or lass - for some reason I think it's charming.

As far as pirate goes, I am much closer to that term than wench. My persona begins her pirating career as a form of revenge even though she is against the profession. So I am not sure that I really fit into either category.

Hmm that probably doesn't help much, does it? :lol:

I start to wonder

with me pockets full of plunder,

is there more to life at sea

than piracy? NO!

I know this was "Question for the Lasses"....

But I figure ..... "Aargh.. that be a fyne wench...." is much better than "beware that fireship thar......"

Wenches are fun

Trollops, and Doxies are fun also, but you gotta pay them.....

Ladys are kept fer randsom (or ravishment is you read too many Romance novels....)

But what would you expect from a male sexist pig dog with a banner like mine.......

But what would you expect from a male sexist pig dog with a banner like mine.......

Naught much else, I suppose...but I'm sure ye have a fine heart down in ye somewhere.

(Aye, as fine a heart as Davy Jones's) :lol:

BlackBess-1.jpg

"Life's good, and why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate after all."

• 3 weeks later...
I generally am garbed as a pyrate rather than a wench. On those occasions when I am dressed in a skirt and bodice, most of my accoutrement has sharp edges, so actually calling me a wench could have consequences...

During the hottest days of summer, I usually wear a wide-brimmed straw hat (not garb, just streewear), and keep it secured with a long old-fashioned hatpin. I had a doctor's appointment on a 90+ day in July, and wore the hat. As I sat down in the waiting room, the young man next to me blanched and said, "Wow, that's one serious hatpin!" I smiled and said, "Yes, it's very effective ... in the wind."

And, on the topic of wenches, I have a friend who's writing her PhD thesis on medieval English women who were "waived" (the legal term equivalent to "outlawed" for men). She considered using the moniker "Waived Wench" in on-line forums, but decided against it, thinking it would probably attract the wrong sort of attention.

Cheers, Hester ... who might call herself a wench in jest, but any stray male who wants to do so should take a look at my hatpin first.

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

As a newbie at the pirate thing, last year and the year before i called myself a wench but now i know the difference i prefer lass.

I'm a funloving chicky i guess but I've my principals and i don't know..lass sounds better and pirate, well that's always ok :blink:

hero.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm..

Pirate would be my first demand

For a friend addressing me...Gerl, or Lass is ok

and only as Mr. Hand put it "Aargh.. that be a fyne wench...." could be perhaps muttered in a crowded pub as I pass by...

although ""Aargh.. that be a fyne Pirate wench " would be better.

And in private company...occasionally.. "tart" heehee

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• 2 weeks later...

look at it this way either way wench be used it still means a woman that is capable o takin care of herself....... be it as pirate, whore, or lady if ye can handle yerself then be what you are and ignore the name if it bothers ye.

desides been called worse by better people and better by worse :huh::huh:

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

I don't care what people call me. Words are just words anyway.. And if ye truly know yeselfe there is no need to be insulted are there?

"The whole world honour me- I don't raise my exertion. The whole world criticize me- I'm not downhearted"

:huh:

I never realized what an intresting topic this would be. i too prefer to be a pirate, but seeing what is written now I guess I would not mind much being playfully termed a wench...And only by those that know me well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

• 3 weeks later...

I'm no Wench.

I'd rather be labeled a Lady than I would a wench. Adventuress would be my second labeling.

Wench isn't even on my list.

~Lady B

:blink:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!