Port Royal, Jamica. JOINT THREAD

Capt. Sterling

This thread is where those folks, participating in the serious role playing thread..Port Royal Jamica , can ventur to post any questions regarding the historical background and or any technical questions regarding role playing.

Why a second/joint thread?

So as to avoid constantly disrupting the original story line of the role playing thread by going in and out of character....

Hope this helps !

JH Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure so everyone can get a better idea of Port Royal, they can check out this page......

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/portroyal/

Lots of good information, so we can keep it accurate........

Thanks to Pat for the above info

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Question... is there a way to turn all this into a printable format... to keep tabs on all this offline as well as on?

Hector

Click on the small white square in the lower left of your browser window. A frame will open, giving among several option, the ability to download the thread as a word document.

Question... is there a way to turn all this into a printable format... to keep tabs on all this offline as well as on?

Hector

Click on the small white square in the lower left of your browser window. A frame will open, giving among several option, the ability to download the thread as a word document.

Thanks!

Crewe of the Archangel

No joke.... check out the artifacts page, and then read about chamber pots.... At first I thought it was going to be "lame".... but it really IS informative and interesting.....

the link again (so you don't have to scroll up this topic.....

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/portroyal/

Oi Pat when are you joining the game...

Crewe of the Archangel

where would the shipyards be?? I can't find them on the map but then my specs are missing <_<

Crewe of the Archangel

The German Princess - A Whacked addition to Port Royal's Population

THE GERMAN PRINCESS

Two hundred years ago, all London interested itself in the sayings and doings of a sharp-witted adventuress, known as 'the German Princess.' Mary Moders was the daughter of a Canterbury fiddler. After serving as waiting woman to a lady travelling on the continent, and acquiring a smattering of foreign languages, she returned to England with a determination to turn her talents to account in the metropolis, where, on arriving, she took up her quarters at 'the Exchange Tavern, next the Stocks,' kept by a Mr. King. Taking her hostess into confidence, she confessed that she was Henrietta Maria do Wolway, the only daughter and heiress of John de Wolway, Earl of Roscia, in Colonia, Germany, and had fled from home to avoid a marriage with an old count. If Mr. King and his wife had any doubts as to the truth of her story, they were reassured by the receipt of a letter from the earl's steward, thanking them for the kindness they had shewn to his young mistress.

Mrs. King had a brother; John Carleton, of the Middle Temple, whom she soon introduced to her interesting guest as a young nobleman. He played his part well, plied the mock-princess with presents, took her in his coach to Holloway and Islington, and vowed himself the victim of disinterested love. On Easter-Day, he proposed to take her to St. Paul's, 'to hear the organs and very excellent anthems performed by rare voices;' but, instead of going there, he persuaded the lady to accompany him to Great St. Bartholomew's Church, where he had a clergyman ready, and Miss Moders became Mrs. Carleton, to the great rejoicing of his relatives. After the wedding, the happy couple went to Barnet for a couple of days, after which they returned, and to make assurance doubly sure, were remarried by licence, and went home to Durham Yard.

For a time all went smoothly enough, although the newly-made Benedict found his wife's notions of economy more befitting a princess than the spouse of a younger brother. As weeks, however, passed by without the Carletons deriving any of the expected benefits from the great match, they grew suspicious; good-natured friends, taken into the secret, expressed their doubts of the genuineness of Mrs. John Carleton, and set inquiries on foot. Before long, old Carleton received a letter from Dover, in which his daughter-in-law was stigmatised as the greatest cheat in the world, having already two husbands living in that town, where she had been tried for bigamy, and only escaped conviction by preventing her real husband from putting in an appearance at the trial. Great was the indignation of the family at having their ambitious dream dispelled so rudely.

Carleton père, at the head of a posse of male and female friends, marched to Durham Yard, and, as soon as they gained admittance, set upon the offender, knocked her down, despoiled her of all her counterfeit rings, false pearls, and gilded brass-wire worked bracelets, and left her almost as bare as Mother Eve ere the invention of the apron. She strenuously denied her identity with the Dover damsel, but was taken before the magistrates, and committed to the Gatehouse, at 'Westminster, to await her trial for bigamy. Here for six weeks she held her levees, and exercised her wit in wordy warfare with her visitors. When one complimented her upon her breeding and education, she replied: 'I have left that in the city amongst my kindred, because they want it;' and upon a gentleman observing that 'marrying and hanging went by destiny,' told him, she had received marriage from the destinies, and probably he might receive hanging. Among her visitors were Pepys and his friend Creed.

Upon the 4th of June 1663, our heroine was brought up at the Old Bailey, before the Lord Chief-Justice of Common Pleas, the lord mayor, and alder-men. If the account of the trial contained in The Great Tryal and Arraignment of the late Distressed Lady, otherwise called the late German Princess, be correct, the result was a foregone conclusion. She was indicted in the name of Mary Moders, for marrying John Carleton, having two husbands, Ford and Stedman, alive at the time. The prosecution failed to prove either of the marriages, and one incident occurred which must have told greatly in her favour.

'There came in a bricklayer with a pretended interest that she was his wife; but Providence or policy ordered it another way. There was a fair gentle-woman, standing at the bar by her, much like unto her, to whom he addressed himself, saying: "This is my wife;" to which the judge said: "Are you sure she is yours?" and the old man, taking his spectacles out of his pocket, looked her in the face again, and said: "Yes; she is my wife, for I saw her in the street the other day." Then said the lady: "Good, any lord, observe this doting fellow's words, and mark his mistake, for he doth not know me here with his four eyes; how then is it possible that he should now know me with his two!" At which expression all the bench smiled. Again said she: "My lord, and all you grave senators, if you rightly behold my face, that I should match with such a simple piece of mortality!" Then the old fellow drew back, and said no more.'

The accused bore herself bravely at the bar, bewitching all auditors as she played with her fan, and defended herself in broken English. She insisted on her German birth, saying she came to England to better her fortunes—and if there was any fraud in the business, it lay on the other side.; 'for they thought by marrying of me, to dignify themselves, and advance all their relations, and upon that account, were there any cheat, they cheated themselves.'

She divided the witnesses against her into two classes - those who came against her for want of wit, and those who appeared for want of money. The jury acquitted her, and when she applied for an order for the restoration of her jewelry, the judge told her she had a husband to see after them. The verdict seems to have pleased the public, and we find lady-loving Pepys recording, 'after church to Sir W. Batten's; where my Lady Batten inveighed mightily against the German Princess, and I as high in defence of her wit and spirit, and glad that she is cleared at the sessions.' The author of An Encomiastick Poem, after comparing his subject to divers famous ladies, proceeds to tell us that:

'Her most illustrious worth

Through all impediments of hate brake forth;

Which her detractors sought within a prison,

T' eclipse, whereby her fame's the higher risen.

As gems i' th' dark do cast a brighter ray

Than when obstructed by the rival day;

So did the lustre of her mind appear

Through this obscure condition, more clear.

And when they thought by bringing to the bar

To gain her public shame, they raised her far

More noble trophies—she being cleared quite

Both by her innocence and excellent wit.'

Mr. Carleton, however, refused to acknowledge his wife, and published his Ultima Vale, in which, after abusing her to his heart's content, he grows sentimental, and indites a poetical farewell to his 'perjured Maria;' whose next appearance before the public was as an actress in a play founded upon her own adventures. Mr. Pepys records:

'15 April 1664.—To the Duke's House, and there saw The German Princess acted by the woman herself; but never was anything so well done in earnest, worse performed in jest upon the stage.'

The theatre failing her, Mary Carleton took to thieving, was detected, tried, and sentenced to transportation to Jamaica. By discovering a plot against the life of the captain of the convict-ship, she obtained her liberty upon arriving at Port Royal, but becoming tired of West-Indian life, she contrived to find her way back to England, and resumed her old life. For some time she appears to have done so with impunity, in one case succeeding in getting clear off with ₤600 worth of property belonging to a watchmaker.

The manner of her arrest was curious. A brewer, named Freeman, having been robbed, employed Lowman, a keeper of the Marshalsea, to trace out the thieves. With this object in view, Lowman called at a house in New Spring Gardens, and there spied a gentlewoman walking in one of the rooms, two pair of stairs high, in her night-gown, with her maid waiting upon her. He presently enters the room, and spies three letters lying upon the table, casts his eye upon the superscription of one of them, directed to a prisoner of his; upon which the lady began to abuse him in no measured terms, and so drew him to look at her more closely than he had done, and thereby recognise her as Mrs. Carleton. He at once took her into custody for the watch-robbery; she was tried at the Old. Bailey, found guilty, and sentenced. to death.

She was executed at Tyburn on the 22nd of January 1672-3, with five young men, 'who could not, among them all, complete the number of 120 years.' She made a short exhortation to the people, sent some words of good advice to her husband, whose portrait she placed in her bosom at the last moment. Her body was given up to her friends, by whom it was interred in the churchyard of St. Martin's, and 'thus,' says her biographer, 'exit German Princess, in the thirty-eighth year of her age, and the same month she was born in.'

In Luttrell's Collection of Eulogies and Elegies, there is preserved an 'Elegie on the famous and renowned Lady,' Madame Mary Carleton, which concludes with

HER EPITAPH

Here lieth one was hurried hence,

To make the world a recompense

For actions wrought by wit and lust,

Whose closet now is in the dust.

Then let her sleep, for she bath wit

Will give disturbers hit for hit.

Some of her letters...

http://www.crimeculture.com/earlyunderworl...yCarleton2.html

Sir Henry

"Land only holds promise if men at sea have the courage to fight for it."

- Sir Henry

okay so what would be the proper proceedure for obtaining Letters of Marque other than just sitting around the admiralty offices? were there interviews? costs? bribes? how political was such a thing? I've never really read a detailed account...

Hector

Crewe of the Archangel

okay so what would be the proper proceedure for obtaining Letters of Marque other than just sitting around the admiralty offices? were there interviews? costs? bribes? how political was such a thing? I've never really read a detailed account...

Hector

The opportunites are varied. One has but to gain favor by treachery, subversion, bribary, valor, infamy or any other number of reasons.

There is also forgery.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I'd have to agree with Will on this. I'd imagine for some folk the prospect of sitting and waiting for the long process of being heard and included was tiresome. Hence, they sought about other ways to make haste their Legal Piracy. As Will stated, Forgery, Bribery, connections with certain Genlemen and Ladies, etc.

My dear Sterling... how would YOU go about it? B)

~Lady B

B)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I'd have to agree with Will on this. I'd imagine for some folk the prospect of sitting and waiting for the long process of being heard and included was tiresome. Hence, they sought about other ways to make haste their Legal Piracy. As Will stated, Forgery, Bribery, connections with certain Genlemen and Ladies, etc.

My dear Sterling... how would YOU go about it? B)

~Lady B

B)

Well let's see short on cash, hmmm, daughter to support, possible wife/mistress to keep in the future... creditors hounding me... hmmm, being a man of character and since I am still waiting to get into the yards for a refit... I may go the legal way.... BUT we shall see!!!

Crewe of the Archangel

The onset of war or the threat of it usually sped the process up greatly. The need for ships and men was huge in the Caribbean, as it would take weeks for the King's ships to get to port in time to prevent attacks.

The English Admiralty was in no hurry. But local Marques and Commissions were relatively easy to get for a captain and ship in times of need.

-- Sir Henry

- Sir Henry

If you have the means or a great library nearby... this is a tremendous resource and I and a few others are using it to pull places, names, dates and events out of to spur the discussions here. It is the most complete book written on Port Royal in all its phases and includes information on the topography, citzenry, economy, fortifications and ships of the time. But it's a bit pricey - limited need, ya know. $40 for the hardback but with the illustrations and information, almost priceless. The appendices alone are worth the money.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/976640098...glance&n=283155

-- Sir Henry

- Sir Henry

I had been looking for some monetary assistance to figure out what the various denominations came out to...for purchases... here's a little of what I have found...

4 farthings = 1d (penny)

4d = 1 groat

12d = 3 groats = 1s (shilling)

5s = 1 crown (half-a-crown = 2s 6d)

20s = 4 crowns = 1l or 1 (pound)

I found another reference that says

Piece of 8 = 5 shillings

Anyone have any info on the worth of a gold coin in reference to these other denominations???

Also... as for cost of goods... this is about 70 years off, but gives a good starting point..

Cost of Goods

I found this good link which is a diary from one Samuel Pepys which covers the years 1660 to 1663 in England.

http://www.pepysdiary.com/archive/

The background is really good too:

http://www.pepysdiary.com/background/

Lots of information about customs, clothing, food and drink, religion, etc. of the time, which would coincide with early Port Royal. We're a little later in the storyline, but only by about 5 years.

-- Sir Henry

- Sir Henry

My dear Sterling... how would YOU go about it? :P

~Lady B

:ph34r:

Forgery???? ME???? :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::lol:

Crewe of the Archangel

If you have the means or a great library nearby... this is a tremendous resource and I and a few others are using it to pull places, names, dates and events out of to spur the discussions here.

That's a GREAT book. I reference it all the time.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Some costs, circa 1660s, that may help... from England though... but should give an idea for now until we find more specifics....

5s bought a pair of worsted stockings

15s bought a pair of silk stockings

19s bought just over 4 ounces of silver lace

20-30s bought a man's hat, unless it was beaver, which cost 4pounds 5s.

1-3pounds a man's periwig

30s bought a pair of boots

40s bought seven pairs of women's white gloves, six plain, one embroidered

45s a "fine Scallop"

4 pounds a woman's country suit

8pounds 10s a velvet cloak

12 pounds a yard was the value of fine Flanders lace (poin) 9 inches wide

17 pounds a man's plain suit and cloak

24 pounds a man's silk suit

Food

1d bought 1lb of cheapest cheese, or three red or white herrings

2d a flounder

4d a pound of the cheapest butter, or a pint of cream, or a quart of whey

5d a pound of brown sugar

6d a leg of beef, or a cauliflower, or a lemon, or two oranges (only one in the theater)

8d a pound of sauages

9d a pound of bacon

1s a chicken in a market, or a chop, bread and cheese and beer, in an inn; or a pint of oysters

1s3d was the controlled price of 12lbs of cod

1s6d an ox tongue

2s bought 1 pound of pepper

2s6d bought a pound of coffee (but it could cost up to 6s8d) or a pound of chocolate (perfumed kind cost up to 10s)

3s4d a 4pound loaf of sugar

5s bought a dinner of roast beef for four, in an inn, or 100 eggs, or 100 asparagus at top price

10-16s bought a whole lamb, but it was usually sold by the quarter or side

20s the ingredients for an elaborate twelfh night cake

5 pounds bought the ingredients for an elaborate dinner, and supper for eight

7pounds a month covered Samuel Pepys housekeeping bills

Crewe of the Archangel

This is merely a humble request for patience, as this is my first attempt at true role-play. If I take a mis-step, please let me know in this thread. I look to the rest of you for guidance, and info.

I do have Pepy's Diary, and the The Pirates Own Book to use as reference, not to mention the sites listed in this thread.

I wish our library had the book on Port Royal, but I doubt it. I'll check.

I look forward to the adventure.

Ransom

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

This is merely a humble request for patience, as this is my first attempt at true role-play. If I take a mis-step, please let me know in this thread. I look to the rest of you for guidance, and info.

I do have Pepy's Diary, and the The Pirates Own Book to use as reference, not to mention the sites listed in this thread.

I wish our library had the book on Port Royal, but I doubt it. I'll check.

I look forward to the adventure.

Ransom

Don't you fear none. We're all here to learn as well as have fun. If you be new to the pub, try reading the threads in Captain Twill as well... you will learn a lot.

Crewe of the Archangel

Thank you, Capt. Sterling. I be not so very new to the pub, but not a regular—the mundain world, you know. :lol: But I will heed your good advice.

I do have a question.

I intend my ship to arrive in Port Royal at night. Would there be anyone of an official nature to report to at that hour—say around midnight? Who would that person be, and would there be a dock fee, forms to fill out, etc.?

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Port Royal, late at night? There be a fellow, part of his King's Navy, name of Broadmore. Tell 'im Mad Jack sent ye, then clock 'im across the jaw when he feigns astonishment. His orders will be in an envelope just behind him. Light the green lantern to show all is well. Then you can ware in to the harbour without a tussle.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

:lol: Advice taken.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I intend my ship to arrive in Port Royal at night. Would there be anyone of an official nature to report to at that hour—say around midnight? Who would that person be, and would there be a dock fee, forms to fill out, etc.?

Please Ignore mad Jack's option as that has not place in our thread unless you intend to be hung and end your action in our story....

Meanwhile, for the real thing...

The ship would need to go through customs(an officer would come aboard) and the Dockmaster would be in charge of giving you a place to tie up and make berth.