Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

It had been a long and trying day for Lady Violet. Albert was determined to reclaim the lost slaves, and had sent out search parties to other plantation owners to advise them to return his property if it showed up on their lands. Lady Violet thought the effort a waste of time. She was sure the slaves were either long gone, or dead. In either case, there was no sense in stressing over it. Trade Winds had hundreds of slaves, and this was the first time there had ever been a problem.

No, it was not the slaves that had her in an agitated state of mind, but her niece. Lady Violet had written to Rudd informing him of the situatin with his sister. She had sent the missive off to the docks, with instructions that it be handed over to the captain of the Sweet Violet - the first of their brigs to be returning to England. She had hated to do it, but felt Rudd deserved to know why his sister would not be coming home. At least, not right away.

Taking a sip from her whiskey glasas, she tried to decide what would be the best course of action in getting her niece to abandon her current, heathenish lifestyle. It would have to be something forceful, or the woman would simply igore it.

With regret, Lady Violet decided she needed to return to Port Royal and have another discussion with her niece before setting anything else into action. If her niece refused to see her, or, after another meeting, still refused to go home, then Lady Violet would seek a private interview with the Governor - tedious little man that he was — and play her first card in this game of wits and wills.

LADYVIOLET2.jpg

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tess waited in the coach as Lewis Hutchinson made sure that his last piece of luggage was placed on board. “I hope I haven’t forgotten anything.” Lewis said to himself as he looked at the pile of chests and trunks. The servant quickly tied down the last piece of luggage to be back of the coach.

As Lewis climbed in to the coach, Tess gave him a dark look. “So, what have you told your wife?” “She thinks I must rush back to Scotland for family business.” “Little white lies with have truths do come in handy.” Tess said looking somewhat disgusted with the whole ordeal. “This plan of yours better work, Lewis. I hope that you can find safe passage back Scotland without anyone finding out what you’ve done.” Tess perched upon one hand as she looked out the coach’s window.

“This is just all a bloody mess.” With a sigh she looked over at him again. “So, which ship have you managed to find?” Lewis lent forward. “There are two that will work to my benefit. Though, I am not sure of one’s final destination. Rumor states that one is on its’ way back to England. There, I can manage by couch or horse. The other is on a director voyage back to Scotland once it manages repairs. Her name is the Mist Reiver…” Tess looked over at him again. “Well?” She forced her word towards him. “I have an unsettling feeling about it.” “Don’t be a fool, Lewis. The sooner you are away from this place the better!”

“Wait here,” Sterling instructed then made his way up the stairs to Nelly Greene’s side. One hand gently came to rest at the back of the girl’s tiny waist and she allowed him to turn her back toward her room. “What is wrong?” Sterling asked as they gained the privacy within and the door was quietly shut behind them.’

Nelly moved away, blond curls swaying softly as she shook her head. “Nothing really. Just a strange woman came to see me.” She paused by the table and turned slightly, presenting a graceful picture. She looked across at Sterling. “She demanded answers from me regarding a man by the name of Pinon. And at gunpoint! Of all things!” Nelly said with a soft huff. For a moment, her words seemed to fall upon deaf ears, as Sterling just stood and stared. Inwardly she smiled to herself, grateful that he had come to call once more, and pleased that her gown and hair had the proper effect on him.

He moved toward her. “Did she harm you?” Sterling asked. Nelly shook her head and offered a laugh.

“Oh I am not defenseless Captain Sterling,” she said. Sterling’s head cocked to the side. “Is that so?” he laughed himself. “Best then I remain on yer good side then.”

Nelly dipped her head in mock salute. “You are a wise man,” she teased. “Then I may say it safe to assume that you will be staying?” His mouth opened, lips agreed noiselessly, before he sighed and shook his head. “Nay, I have only come to ask you a question of mine own.”

The girl was evidently disappointed. Again she moved away from him. “Yes, well, then,” she said. “Ask but please no pistols.”

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Nelly told Sterling the information he wanted to hear. But, she did not leave it at that. She quickly countered with questions of her own. What sort of wife would leave one place for another and not leave word for her husband as to the reasons of the change? Why would she not leave word as to where she could be found? Sterling had stood quietly, allowing Nelly to speak. She could tell that he was actually listening as well, as his expression began to cloud over as he thought about the suggestions that were mixed in with her questions.

Finally he shook his head. "She was not well, tis all," Sterling insisted.

"Are you trying to convince me or yourself?" Nelly asked. "If she was truly not well, why was she moved at all? Tis a danger to herself and to your child, especially to a place where Devareaux is known to meet with his lovers. Perhaps it is she who is meeting with someone she wishes you not to know about? Surely you know how it is with the likes of her and her people? Gypsies after all. Perhaps the child is not even your own."

Sterling glared at her, a storm now brewing where the cloud once hung.

"I do not believe you!" he protested.

Nelly shrugged her shoulders. "I have lived in these parts far longer than you. You know I am only trying to help. Was it not I who waited for you just as I said would? Was I not exactly where I told you I would be?"

"Do not compare yerself to my wife," Sterling growled.

"Perhaps you should then," Nelly continued. She made her way to the door and opened it. "After all I had no need to put a gun to your head the other night. Nor earlier when you found yourself on my doorstep."

Hazel eyes fixed on his, fine chin lifted defiantly, but tone still calm. "Go. Find your wife. Ask her why she has done what she has done. And when you do not like the answers she gives you, if she even bothers to acknowlege you and extend to you the consideration to answer, then you can return and apologize. Once more I shall be waiting for you."

Sterling had left quickly after that. This time there was no lingering kiss, not even the desire for one. The numbness had begun to spread within him again. He collected his men from Sally's kitchen and the trio now made their way to the Royal Grace. Half way there Andrew March and another handful of sailors, were encountered and added to the group, Sterling explaining what had just transpired in hushed tones to his first officer. His friend explained in return that Nelly Greene was nothing more than a courtesan and should be ignored. Sterling tried to follow March's advice but nagging thoughts of Lambert had to be constantly shifted, moved, buried.

As they entered the Royal Grace, the proprietor was demanded. Spindlethorpe finally appeared, cowering and scraping, and it was not long before the exact locations of several adjoining rooms was pinpointed and Sterling, now fighting to keep his temper in check, stormed up the stairs. Second room was chosen and he knocked upon the door.

"Maîtresse Sterling! Ouvrez la porte s'il vous plaît. C'est votre mari. Je suis venu pour vous prendre au navire!"

He began to pace back in forth before the door. Once again knock was issued and March placed belaying hand upon friend's shoulder.

"John, calm yerself."

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

The sound of heavy footfall in the hallway woke us. It was not the quiet stealth of Sebastian's men. At the first pounding on the door, we were out of bed, pulling on clothes and grabbing weapons. At the second pounding on the door I turned to Sebastian, beautifully descheveled, who was standing at my side, pistols drawn.

"I'm going to assume, despite his asking about his "mari", that this is not some irate husband who thinks you have absconded with his wife for a night of frivolity. So, do we open the door and see who it is, or do we just fire through the boards and ask questions later?"

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

“John, calm yerself,” March said.

“This was your idea,” Sterling sighed, as forehead came to rest against chamber door.

“Aye it was. And I did not tell ye to run off for advice from some whore,” March added. Grip tightened on shoulder and captain was turned about to face first officer. “John…”

Sterling glanced back at door’s rough surface. “Why will she not open the door? What does she have to hide?”

“Most likely nothing,” March replied. “Give her a moment," he added. His voice then lowered to a whisper. "John, I know you are far from happy with this relationship, but, please, ye are a better man than this,... try to trust her.”

Sterling looked back at March, then eyes lowered. March reached up over Sterling’s shoulder and gently knocked upon the door. “Mistress Sterling, tis Lieutenant March of the Archangel, a word with ye, if ye please.”

The sound of heavy footfall in the hallway woke us. It was not the quiet stealth of Sebastian's men. At the first pounding on the door, we were out of bed, pulling on clothes and grabbing weapons. At the second pounding on the door I turned to Sebastian, beautifully descheveled, who was standing at my side, pistols drawn.

"I'm going to assume, despite his asking about his "mari", that this is not some irate husband who thinks you have absconded with his wife for a night of frivolity. So, do we open the door and see who it is, or do we just fire through the boards and ask questions later?"

Years of Life's harsh play of hand conditioned those of such ilk to never give in to the luxuries of deepest sleep. Burrowed deep in lair's comfort, the slightest disruption of calm stirred instinctual awares and dark pools aroused from hibernation. Survival forced action to retreive nearest Hounds; Soul's windows narrowing then quickly taking in the options as heavy fist fell on wooden innocence.

"Maîtresse Sterling! Ouvrez la porte s'il vous plaît. C'est votre mari. Je suis venu pour vous prendre au navire!"

Lupine features tilted slightly to the voicing while nimble fingers caressed Hounds and insured bark as well as bite were at command.

Beggar Prince heard Lover's words in half shades, as if they were spiraling down deep shaft and echoing cylindrical walls. Movement from far corner drew his center as Sibling emerged from adjoining room and one finger was raised to halt further progression.

Lover's query rattled mental corridors in brief as recenter traversed to chamber portal and one word was uttered in whisper to the later, "Non..."

On bare feet, Sabastian neared doorway and listened carefully to the world beyond...rustle, low voices and silence. Brief silence of ungolden measure cast off by next hailing of more subtle render upon neighboring door. With noiseless gesture, portal near Four Posted Citadel was indicated to those in his care and locks were slid from receiver's keeping...

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

"Where is Aurore?" Sterling whispered harshly as March greeted Devareaux. First officer's hand came down upon Captain's shoulder.

"Have a care John. Yer no good to yerself or anyone else for that matter when ye allow yerself to get into such a state. I am happy to handle this meself," March replied in low tones. Sideward glance was cast at closest friend. "Please try it my way."

Crewe of the Archangel

Dark sights measured all concerned and in low voicing he gave directive indicating the displeasure of incident and the attention being drawn by so many choking hall legnth.

"Enlevez-les de mon seuil alors que je vous offrirai tous les deux à l'intérieur. Mais faites ainsi avec le soin et le silence..."

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

March's grip tightened against Captain's shoulder, pressing Sterling back against the wall as First Officer felt the shoulder beneath his hand grow rock hard. A second sideward glance was offered to catch Sterling's jaw tense as teeth were gritted together in effort to comply with March's silent request to remain put.

"Ye others, wait below. Keep to yerselves," March ordered. He looked again to Sterling, who nodded his agreement. Able seamen made for the stairs as Sterling breathed hard trying not to fly off the handle. March waited as tension was forced to ease and Sterling's eyes closed momentarily. Slight shake of blond head went barely noticed.

"I cannot do this," Sterling whispered. "I no longer see the point."

March rolled his eyes. "Ye will in time. Go on, get inside."

Crewe of the Archangel

Dauphin watched as orders were relayed and complied to, with the last Jack Tar out of sigh and quick survey made of the surround then main entrance returned to. Sidelong glance was given as portal was eased back on hushed hinge, allowing access to Sanctuary.

Resecured, Sabastian turned to face newly arrived with hardset jawline and feral flicker smolder within darkened sights....

And he waited with the ever patience of feline at mouse thresh hold...

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Once his sister had slipped past the door, I turned to her. "I cannot leave him to face this danger alone. Stay here."

Swift as the hawk he named me for, I returned to the room, standing by the closed door, waiting to see what Sebastian would do. I still held my pistol, but kept to the side of the bed, where the draperies shielded me from view.

So, this was the mysterious, and apparently, un-killable Captain Sterling. He looked ill, furious, and not in the mood for conversation. His man, intent on soothing his obvious temper, had little effect. I didn't know enough French to understand all of what Sebastian had said, but his tone told me volumes.

Feeling bolder, I stepped forward into the room, pistol still cocked, and addressed Sterling. "It appears, sir, that you are missing a spouse. Did it not occure to you to wonder why she fled you, rather than bursting in upon her and demanding her presence? It seems a poor way to gain a woman's favor."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Her movement drew his attention away from guests and wave was made to place pistol away, a smallish nod in request for Lover's silence. Table was then indicated for seating of all.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Look was shot toward Sterling as stranger voiced opinion. This time silent message was conveyed from First Officer and captain bit down once again, teeth clenched tightly to avoid responding. March waited for friend to take the seat that was indicated, then sigh escaped him as Sterling slumped over table. This was not going to be easy.

"John, tenha um cuidado," March said. Nod was hesitantly given, and then blond head fell into waiting hands.

March took his own seat. "We have come looking for the captain's wife. She was not where she was supposed to be earlier this evening. Word was that she was to wait there until she was sent for," March began. "Instead no one there was able to tell us why she was no longer there or where she had gone to. Knowing Mistress Sterling to have been ill, the Captain is understandably upset."

Crewe of the Archangel

Sabastian's features were hard set as seating was taken in large armchair at table's head. He said nothing at first, constricting the anger which desired the arena.

"Capitaine went his own way, without regard to my Sister...His concerns only that of his own. I had no way of knowing his intentions with brusk departure and brought her here so that some comfort could be obtained. And now...after ill use of my graces, I am to just roll over as was expected from my kind before coming to the New World...Are we all not dogs begging for a bone...Not human...Just something to be trod upon by our betters....."

Soft voicing brought his verbose to halt.

"Alexandre'....C'est assez."

ClaudeDuval.jpg

March listened intently as Devareaux spoke. He waited until the other man was interupted by the woman in question. Sterling leaned closer to companion and whispered, "All I asked is that Aurore and the child be looked after. I never said I would not send for her." First Officer nodded, then sat back to wait further.

Crewe of the Archangel

The tension in the air was palpable and thick. Sebastian was tense, and his voice cold. All I could do was watch and wait. Sterling seemed on the point of collapse. I could tell, as far as Sebastian was concerned, the man could fall down dead.

Cautiously, I placed my hand on Sebastian's arm, hoping the gesture would not anger him further, but ask silently for calm.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Jawline tensioned again at Sibling's statement and glance was slyed sidelong to her approach. With heavy exhalation, Sabastian kept in rein the thoughts that boiled in mental borders as gentle hand came to rest on one arm..

ClaudeDuval.jpg

First officer continued to wait on captain's wife, as the two other men, worked hard to control their tempers and their tongues. It was Sterling who finally rose from the table and made for the door to the hallway.

"John, wait!" March called after him.

Crewe of the Archangel

It was all I could do to keep silent. Sterling was acting like a spoiled child deprived of sweets. If he left, there was no way Sebastian or his sister would listen to further pleas. the man would lose wife and child.

Without thinking, I blurted out, "Think of your child sir. Do you abandon both wife and child?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Sabastian rose abruptly from seating at Sterling's actions, "Non, Capitaine...Not again. If there is explination to be given, then it is to my Sister that you owe the debt. Consider what you do carefully, I shall grant you this boon...there are chambers that interlock to both sides of this room. Perhaps you should take advantage of such privacies and relate to her what your mindset is. She is grown, and is of her own mind...it is to her that your sins must be confessed; for I have mine doubts that I can remain impartial."

With silent resolve, Dauphine regained seating and craved the peace that had existed in not so distant past.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Sterling paused before the door, hand fishing frantically within coat pocket. He dared not turn and face his accusers now. Stained linen was finally found and seized upon, then brought to obscured face.

“My wife means far more to me than the child and yet, I am not willing to lose either. A moment, please,” he called back over his shoulder. As mind raced with thoughts of who had abandoned whom, he grasped handle and fled into the shadows of the hallway.

Crewe of the Archangel

March rose and quickly followed to find Sterling doubled over, one hand cast upon the wall to steady himself. Linen handkerchief rapidly stained bright red as it was held to Sterling’s nose.

“For God’s sake, John. Ye have got to calm yerself!” March whispered in warning.

“Go back inside!” Sterling ordered. “I do not wish her to see me this way.”

Crewe of the Archangel