Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

But Lilly couldn't sleep. She laid quietly thinking of all things that had passed between the good Captain and herself. He heart fell once more as the words rang in her head; Dead. She couldn't...wouldn't believe it. She had seen him on death's door more than once and every time, every single time, by the Grace of God he pulled through.

"I know you...I know your heart. You still walk and breath." She said to herself. "I will find you. No matter what." She slowly lifted her head from her pillow and saw MacCraige dozing off. Lilly would wait until he was sound asleep once more and venture off to look for her Captain.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rude cockerel chimed boisterously to rising sun, heralding crease of displeasure to smooth brow as Sabastian made effort to change position. The twined barriers of chair arm gave no yield to desire, furthering furrow on lupine expression.

Cockerel trumpeted again, perhaps this time with more success in rousting the mortal realm. Dauphine snuck a looked through hesitant lids as he tried to place himself. Stiff muscles and neck ache brought forth realities all too quickly as eyes came wide open and chair was remembered. Decanter lay raped of former containments and right hand lazily fell to stopper's shape in unconscious fondle.

Sitting a bit straighter, muscles gave further reminder to ill chosen bed, and dark eyes drifted to proper place of repose. Petite form he had anticipated seeing wrapped in linen and damask was absent. Disturbed, Sabastian gained the support of unclad feet with over fast movement and innocent side table paid for its' proximity. Bereft level support, refinement of crystal vessel slid steadfast to flooring below with dull thud...its' crown following suit with not as much impact.

Grabbing chair's support, Dauphin quickly made observation of surrounds and found the chamber vacant but for himself. Abused cranial parameters screamed protest to sudden elevation and forced processing as he moved with urgency to window's view; drapery yanked aside to allow clear survey. A flash of mourning white and brilliant crimson drew his attention to paddock's placement...an exaggerated contrast against all too familiar black equine which bent noble head in acceptance of fruit offering.

Breathing caught to standstill as scene played out before him. As time would pass and incident was recollected, Beggar Prince would be hard pressed to explain such hesitations being caused by the relief of locating Sibling so hastily...Or the fact that missing prize possession was there as well. Without conscious intent, the remains of tender jaw marring was rubbed while he continued to watch interaction of beauty and beast then allowed curtain to drop back into place.

And as the dim resumed its’ reign of chamber containment, his thoughts drifted to calm for the briefest of time spans as he considered one who’s tress tincture was kindred to sibling’s own.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Rapid pace continued until Chestnut, himself, slowed to a walk. Sides heaving, heart pounding between rider’s legs, Chestnut paused and blew hard. Sterling came out of mental anguish and, only now realizing the possible damage he may have caused, he quickly dismounted. Drawing reins over lathered neck and loosening girth, he continued the last few miles to Cottage on foot.

Soon, skirting beyond front gate and guards, he lead Chestnut through less open fields, dotted about with trees that soon grew thicker in coverage, until he was quite certain he had reached the area directly behind the house.

Sterling tied Chestnut to nearby tree. By now his anger at wife’s betrayal so strong as to overwhelm his senses. Body trembling, he made his way silently from tree to tree toward creek. As he closed upon the small stretch of water, he halted, she was there. Crouching beside one of larger trees he watched.

Dressed as brightly as a new spring day, in reds and whites, not one stitch of widow’s weeds to adorn her, Aurore, skirts lifted in tiny hands, stood staring down into the creek that flowed gently about slender ankles. Thoughts of hatred toward disloyal wife that had flooded his mind all too suddenly vanished. Still shaking, his tumult of emotions somersaulted until they melted completely away till only his love for her remained. He stood, taking her in, every inch, every perfect memory of their all too brief relationship came tumbling back to foreground as tear coursed down scarred check. His mind’s eye would capture her as she was now, forever, only to be out shadowed as she had been the night he married her.

As heart splintered slowly, piece by piece, he turned to leave, then froze as Chestnut companion’s scream for his return shattered the silence. His first reaction was to shift, casting glance backward over shoulder to where she stood. For an instant their eyes locked as Aurore looked up to where strange horse beckoned. He knew he could no longer cross the distance back to where his horse was tethered, and so he ducked behind the only tree that could block him from her gaze.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

The sooth of stream caress and smooth pebble bottom underfoot gave some comfort to the storm which she bound to inward terrains. Though carriage was proud, the discoloration and swell of tender eye flesh betrayed overall coup. Those who roamed compound encompassment gave wide berth to her wanderings, but kept watchful view to where they took her.

Aurore's mind was numbed turmoil, no options coming forth to quell the angst; no desire for guessing at Fate's cruel spread of hand. She was not unawares of the World's turning...Just apathetic to its' course. A quickened rousing of anger rose forth at the injustice and separation deemed fit by Mari's men and with that anger, another salt tear fell to the fresh water's pooling ankles placement.

Again mental faculties reclaimed numb desire and deepened olive eyes fell entranced to the dance of light and shadow on aqua surface. Dull roar of mind's eye drifting without direction then suddenly brought to keen awareness with equine address. Senses reached out to decipher sounds contradictory proxy to the paddock behind, and cautious step was taken by instinct's command.

Shrouding of Blanc et Rouge were gathered a degree higher to prevent hindrance and quick glance was thrown over shoulder to paddock's standing. Another step in reverse and water's level retreated to a lower hold....And she froze.

Break of color scheme at near, far tree drew her attention full with raptor's focus...

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

He should never have come and he cursed himself for doing so. Mind’s gears quickly switched, willing feet to move in retreat, but they would not obey. Instead body inclined back against broad tree trunk and as knees gave way, he felt himself slide downward to sit upon the ground, unable to move any further.

Chestnut neighed once again, louder than first, then stomped front foot to emphasize his annoyance at being left behind.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Fleeting glance was thrown to Brother's protective nearness, and nothing more than word of alarm would bring him near...But, Aurore hesitated in doing so. Tenative step forward was taken, then another, raising water level to mid calf and bringing into clarity wayward mount who's call was insistant to party unknown.

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Sterling grimaced as Chestnut insisted on giving his opinion of the current situation. Yet he sat still, not daring to look backward again. Instead, eyes darted over nearby terrain, looking for a rock, that if necessary could be launched to stifle any further commotion. Nothing of any suitable worth was sighted. He knew he could not whistle or call out, in fact there was little he could do but continue to sit still, hope she would run back to the safety of the cottage and then chance making mad dash back to noisy tattle tale mount.

Crewe of the Archangel

Cautiously, she continued forward, eyes trained of chestnut coloration and ears waiting to capture any further anomoly. Far bank was gained, care taken to avoid marring of adornment. As incline was conquered, peripheral vision picked another disturbance to lush greens and spinning on ball of feet, her eyes fell full upon origin's keeper.

Noir's delicate pitch of ears had swiviled to first call, the second brought noble head about to stare into the treeline. Attentive companion paused in curry attentions to follow tragectory of Noir's interest...comb was dropped forgotten. Dauphin gave soundless gesture to one standing near Cottage rear wall; wide circle was traced to water way and embankment opposit.

And then he remembered coin that he had thought to give to Nelly Greene. Cautiously he reached inside pocket and withdrew the heavy piece. Gaining standing posture with equal care, he tried to imagine which way she would come across the water and inch her way upward to his hiding place. At last decision was made and coin was thrown upward, arching high over head, so as not to be seen in direct line of vision, and landed far off to his left. Loud rustling of dead leaves, disturbed by coin, sounded good distance away from where he now held his breath.

Crewe of the Archangel

The pain was unbearable. As Lilly pulled herself up from her bed she bit her lower lip to muffle the sharp agonizing sound the gripped her at that very moment. Even childbirth was not as painful as this she thought to herself. She felt light headed and soon felt ill as she tried to pull herself from her bed. It was no use. She could not leave and start her search for Captain Sterling. It was then she looked down to find Mate, the little black dog looking up from his cozy home. Lilly quickly put finger to lip to silence the dog from yelping.

Perhaps she would wait a bit. Morning was here, yet her company was fast asleep. She laid back again in her bed and closed her eyes. “God, keep him safe.” She whispered.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

In the confine space of his cellar, Mister Hutchinson sat in his oversized chair looking very upset at his manservant. “She forced her way in, Master. I tried to stop her.” Mister Hutchinson lifted up his right hand. “Enough. Go and leave us be. I wish to talk to my cousin….alone.”

Tess watched as the young Negro pass her and shut the door to the cellar. “Rumors call out in town this night. Dreadful things have happened not to mention Port Royal is on watch. The damn guard is everywhere and I tripped over several of those bloody things tonight. I barely made it here.” She said pouring herself a glass of wine to calm her nerves. “I am surprised that your name hasn’t been mentioned in the mix of things.” A calm look fell upon Mister Hutchison face. “…And why should it? I have never brought shame upon this house.” Tess turned to Mister Hutchinson and raised an eyebrow. “Really? I can think of a few things.” She said as she started to tap her foot upon the hard earth that laid under her feet.

She sipped her wine and looked back at her cousin. “There are many rumors flitting about town this evening. I heard several. One is that Captain Sterling is dead, that there was a murder at The Three Crowns and Spaniards are in port! Good God, Lewis! The world is coming to an end!”

Mister Hutchinson just looked into the small fire and listened to his cousin rant on about the current events. All he could think of was the stains of blood on his hands and if another body could fit in the cellar.

Aurore froze at underbrush disturbance, crouching low by instinct. She considered eased retreat, retrace of passage from whence she came. Turning cautiously, she glimpsed the paddock in near distance...and saw that Noir now stood alone; quite curious of her general area. Deep breath was taken and released.

Edward Solley moved mindful of nature's betrayals, closing pattern and drawing figurative noose a little snugger. Although not in sight, he knew Sabastian echoed his actions from the other side. A loppsided smile traced the Welshman's lips as he considered clever rabbit hidden in the thickets....

Over and Under awaited his whim.

He stopped himself, air slipping from lungs in an all too noticable sigh as he found himself worrying about her trying to discover identity of a complete stranger on her own. Breathing once again controlled, forced to inhale and ex with slowness, Sterling listened, still hoping Aurore would turn and retreat back to safety of cottage. He had no intentions of stepping out into the open of his own accord for he knew his temper would get the better of him. He had only wanted to see her, not speak with nor, certainly, argue about her earlier behaviour. He had disolved the marriage, it needed to stay that way... or at least so he tried to tell himself.

Careful glance was given to tree, if only there were some way to climb it without being seen.

Crewe of the Archangel

Irish traveling pistol sat comfortably in left hand as Sabastian paused as if scenting the air. Chestnut's hide gave warm glow reflection via sun splotch eeking through palm fond canopy. The figure and familiarity of known mount was rarely lost to Beggar Prince and recognition brought pause to soft laid footing. Eyes narrowed as several possabilities clamored through his mind, then forward motion was resumed.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Sterling closed his eyes, tilting head to listen. She had paused a moment, but ... there was at least one other. What little he knew of Le Cour caused him to reckon that there could be more out and about. He had seen enough of the compound to know that it did not go unguarded and neither did She. Eyes opened, temper causing colour to flush his face as past experience convinced him her companion must surely be Frenchman Lambert for Seth Childermass would have successfully pounced by now. Hand strayed to back of waistband beneath long tails of waistcoat. Handle of knife taken hold.

Crewe of the Archangel

The manor house now lay quite and had an eerie feel to it. Lord Darnly walked past the once happy nursery to which over flowed with the sound of laughter and cries of the young child.

The hallway now dark and the room cold, lifeless now that the child was gone. Lord Darnly held up his candle has he tried to examine the room by the dim light. The crib lay empty, the toys now placed upon shelves and the room’s curtains drawn shut.

With a deep breath, he took one-step into the room. His trips to the nursery were rare for he never made it a habit. Visits were mostly enticed by the maidservant. She would report to him on a daily basis to tell him of the child’s well being, but she strongly encouraged his visits. She mentioned that it would be ‘good’ for the boy to see a male figure to bond to. Lord Darnly did agree to this, but then every visit seemed like a chore.

The child reminded him too much of Captain Sterling. Every day the child’s likeness seemed to capture another feature or hold a stronger resemblance to the man he hated. The painful truth was that even though he knew that the baby was Lilly’s, he could hardly manage to look at baby Hector without seeing Captain Sterling looking back at him. And every day the feeling in his stomach would pitch and swell causing him to feel anger and frustration that he now had to wait until Lilly came back to him. She would have never left in the first place had Captain Sterling put her in such a condition! Suddenly the sound of a crying baby shook his very being.

Lord Darnly quickly closed the door to the nursery and took another deep breath. His face now pale and his hands began to shake. “You have brought this on yourself.” He muttered as he quickly walked back towards his office.

Smallish breeze stirred palm overhang causing sunlight to play a game of tag with shade. In brief flashes, Soliel tickled Sibling's shoudings of white, shouting its' placement amongst Nature's subtle shades. A drop of sweat trailed down Dauphin's cheekline and the heat was only partially responsible.

Easing forward, glimpse was caught of Welshman's proximity and pistol was reseated in palm pillowing. Area was scanned carefully, and options for hiding places were narrowed drasticly. One large palm was singled out and its' direction navigated with care.

Thunder's hammer was drawn into ready and Brother silently willed Sister back to the clearings beyond water's stance.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Knife was pulled slowly forth with intent to harm none but to cut reins free instead of wasting time untying knot. Under ordinary circumstances run and vault onto Chestnut's back would have been a simple task, but wounded shoulder and ill health caused him to question such an action.

Final listen was given. All footsteps had stilled. Like cornered prey, Sterling bolted from covering and raced to Chestnut.

Crewe of the Archangel

Sudden eruption from the brush made trio spin on heel from varying position. Edward extended arm and gave wiley smile as trigger was nudged and pistol roared to life sending ball just wide of mark.

Unarmed and startled, Aurore became one with the ground; her concern that which she housed.

Sabastian leveled Irish Dog, index finger easing trigger then pausing. Dark eyes narrowed to slits as subconscious gave recognition to fleeting form and with voicing of undisputable command, one word broke the powder spent air....

"Arretez!"

ClaudeDuval.jpg

But stopping was the furthest thing from Sterling's mind. Upward lunge toward partner in trespass continued until knife came down upon leather ribbons and Chestnut was freed.

Crewe of the Archangel

Barrel was rolled as command rang the air to no affect. Reset and releveled, Edward's finger once again teased trigger and secondary belch of powder polluted tropical air. This shot, much as the first, traveled just wide of mark; but mount would have nothing more of such disturbances and made steadfast bolt away from the immediate area.

Welshman smiled as taunt called to Rabbit,

"Now is this no' a sight to be seen...Bit on'na large to be a native Cooney..."

ClaudeDuval.jpg

"Damnation," curse was sworn under breath as Chestnut reared upon second explosion and reins slipped through Sterling's fingers. Normally loyal, companion had proven self to be worthless and now even worse by dodging beyond grasp and turning to flee.

Area was still thick with overgrowth and as Chestnut set course back to town, Sterling followed after, head down, body lowered, as fast as he could.

Crewe of the Archangel

Two shots fired in near proximity of sanctury did well to stir hornet's nest agitation. The mostly vacant surround of cottage came alive and filled with controlled chaos.

Sean Roberts reined in to halt as the sound of hoof bounced to hearing. The combination of shots and fevered approach caused right hand to instictivly fall to pistol grip. With practiced ease, weapon was checked then brought to bear on nearing hoofbeat. Slow and steady breathing traversed his nasal passages as horse broke into view riderless.

Pistol stayed trained, then wavered as fleeing figure followed in equine wake...

ClaudeDuval.jpg

New obstacle caused instant alteration in course. Sharp turn was taken and rider and mount parted company for good, as Sterling's only choice was to make his way in different direction, remaining on foot.

Crewe of the Archangel

Sean's brow furrowed and without thought, mount was urged forward to cut off runner. In the distance, hearing caught the sound of hive unrest and mount was brought about sharp to blockade further dodge.

ClaudeDuval.jpg