Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

“There was one other thing  he mentioned and seemed quite adamant about… whether he remembers or not later on…”

“Get on with it!” March snapped.

“He wished to speak to Mr. Straw… he said he had questions regarding the issuing of an annulment.”

“He said what?” March asked, completely taken aback.

“He said he wanted to annul the marriage,” Rieley said with an exasperated sigh.

“After all the trouble he went through to wed this girl? Granted he may have gotten ahead of himself this time but still. I was under the impression that he cared for her and she likewise,” March said. “Did he start babbling about this before or after the blood letting?”

“During,” the doctor explained. “That and taking Mistress McKinney back to England.”

“But we’re to sail… Oh bloody hell, never mind. I’ll speak with him when he’s able. McKinney ye say? Should have known she was mixed up in all this mess…Damn it but the man is completely lost on land after three days, regardless of his health,” March said, his expression once again under control and unchanging except for a slight glimmer of compassion in his eyes. “I’ll speak with Mr. Straw regarding dissolving the marriage. Mayhaps by the time the captain recovers himself, he’ll have forgotten all about it.”

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Have a care!” Said Mistress McKinney as she instructed the young man hired to take her trunk back to the Archangel. She lent over the banister at the top of the stairs watching him gingerly caring it down to the tavern area below. “Everything I own is in that trunk. Do be careful!” She could only roll her eyes, but what did she expect. She was only paying the boy a penny.

Lilly quickly looked about the room again. She had tidied up the best she could with what little remained solid and unbroken in her room. With a sigh she quickly took up her hood and gloves. Port Royal had been an adventure, but she wanted to get back to London. London was a place where she knew her place. She felt herself tear up at the idea of her son now in the hands of Lord Darnly then quickly wiped the tear away. “Captain Sterling…you made a promise to me and my son….and by God, you will keep that promise!” She quickly turned from the room and closed the door behind her.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

"Avast there, and where do ye think ye be going with that trunk?" March hollared as the young boy struggled up the gangplank.

"I've orders to deliver it here. Tis the Archangel tis it not?" the young lad asked. With a groan he deposited the trunk on end on the very edge of the walkway.

"Aye tis indeed. And this here trunk belongs to?" the first officer continued.

"A Mistress McKinney," the boy answered.

"Bloody hell, we not be sailing fer at least a week. We've only just begun seeing to fresh water. Back to the inn with ye and it. And tell her we cannot be havin her livin onboard for that amount of time. Tis not a pleasure yacht!"

He gestured toward the ravaged docks. "Don't worry, miss. In a couple of weeks, you won't be able to tell there ever was a hurricane. These people know how to deal with and recover from the destruction. You'll see."

"Hum, 'these people'?" Jane's green eyes halted their continued survey of the shore, turning questioningly to the Welshman at her side. The puzzled expression only lasted a moment as her thoughts cleared. "Oh, tha city, Port Royal. Aye."

Red cap covered head nodded slightly as she stepped away from Ioan without further comment. Long steps brought her along side Captain Striker where he stood overseeing the bustle of his crew. He made no motion to acknowledge her other than the slight upward curve of his lips as she stepped to his side.

"Captain, I should like ta go ashore wif tha first boat, if I may. I only need a day, at tha most. I ken see bout bringing La Maligna inta tha yards an," she paused in her request biting anxiously at her lip.

She had been watching the shore line intently for any sign of the Anna Rae since first coming on deck, to no avail. Despite the hardship, Jane still felt tied to that rotting hulk of a ship. She only needed to see the ruined merchantman for herself in order to break the last of that connection. Striker's blue eyes glanced down at her, reading the thoughts she couldn't put into words. A flash of doubt crossed his handsome features.

Jane's voice dropped to nearly a whisper, eyes locking with his, a tone of sincerity behind her words. "I promise ta come back this time."

Striker looked into her begging jade coloured eyes . He could not stop himself from laughing out loud . He was not questioning if she would return or not.

"Dear Misstress , ye are not a prisoner onboard this ship! Infact ye are one of it's saviors , ye are a part of Maligna , and she is a part of ye now! " He said still chuckling .

"Go with the first boat ".

Sriker turned his attention towards Ioan "Go with her , and help her with what it may be"He ordered before he was approached by Laritzsen which took him aside.

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

The remainder of MacCraige's crew joined him later that afternoon. They had come dragging logs that would be hewn into boards for the repair of the "Reiver" and the work continued into the early evening.

As darkness fell, MacCraige, tired and dirty, made his way into town to find comfort at the nearest tavern. The little dog followed at his heels. He entered and sat down, ordering a whiskey and a meal and with a tired sigh sat back trying to unwind the knots that pinched his tired muscles.

He watched as the beautiful woman chastised the young lad who struggled with her trunk.

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum...

Lilly could not believe her ears and the young man explained why he now stood in front of her with her most precious trunk in tow. The expression upon her face was one of disgusted and amazement. "Master March told you to bring my trunk back?! What right does that man have to do such a thing? How Rude! Did you not tell him that I am to set sail with Captain Sterling?” The young man could only shake his head slowly as to answer with caution. “I shall have none of this!” She shouted back at the young man. Many a patron stood there in the inn, taking pity on the boy as he took Mistress McKinney's full force of anger and rage.

Suddenly she narrowed her eyes at the boy. "I assume that you tried to inform Master March of Captain Sterling plans to take me back to England.” “Aye, Mistress...but Master March would ‘ear none of it. He would not listen to what I had to say.” It was then Lilly struck the young man upon his head with the back of her hand. “Do not expect payment for a task not complete!” She said ringing her hand as to rub away the sting of its contact. “I will keep thee on retainer….but only if you will do one more task.” She quickly pulled from her pocket a note. “See that the Captain gets this and I do not want excuses. You must wait for an answer. Now go!” She pushed the young man forward towards the door. “Remember, wait for an answer!”

Member of "The Forsaken"

"Aye, yer letter I can take, but if ye insist on waiting, plan on doing so for quite awhile. The Captain is indisposed and has not the time to be catering to every one of Mistress McKinney's damn whims," the first officer grumbled as the young boy made his way back, this time at least without the heavy trunk in tow."So, if you wish to wait, I would highly recommend the tavern at the end of the wharf, I cannot be havin ye here under foot," March added tossing the boy a coin. "Have yerself a drink and a meal on Captain Sterling. Now be off with... belay that," March said, with a sudden change of mind. "Keep yer coin but go back and tell the ... lady... that she'll get her answer when the captain be good and ready to give it to her."

The young boy's eyes widen slightly in alarm at the message he was to deliver.

"Just duck, as yer speakin," March added with a grin. "Now go on with ye." He waited a moment, watching the young boy scamper across the gangplank and hurry his way back down the pier.

He turned the note over in his hand. Yes he was curious to know what it contained, especially now that Sterling was in no condition to get himself into any of Lilly McKinney's troubles. March made his way to the captain's cabin. Surely he would need to do some convincing...

Capt MacCraige winced as he watched the young boy being struck upon the head. It was too much for him to take. Standing he approached the beautiful woman, the little dog at his heels.

"Now that no way ta be treatin' a lad what has done ye a favor" he said in his rough Scottish brogue. "Come now miss an' calm yerself. Let me buy ye a dram ta' put out th' fire ye have brewin'. I be Capt. Hamish MacCraige of the "Mist Reiver"

"Dear Misstress , ye are not a prisoner onboard this ship! Infact ye are one of it's saviors , ye are a part of Maligna , and she is a part of ye now! " He said still chuckling .

Sriker turned his attention towards Ioan "Go with her , and help her with what it may be"He ordered before he was approached by Laritzsen which took him aside.

Ioan was surprised by Strikers request. He could also see that Jane didn't like the idea one bit. Ioan wasn't sure if it was the built-up stress of fighting the hurricane, the chaotic state his life seemed to be in, or his still-throbbing back, but the devil in his personality made a sudden appearance.

He smiled at Jane. "Oh, come on deary, I won't bite ya. If the Captain things ya need a guard, then who am I ta argue with him?"

Then Ioan turned to the Captain. "I'll go, but I request a condition, sir. That being, that if she gives me the slip in town, ya won't hold me responcible."

Then he gave Jane a wink, just to annoy her further.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Capt MacCraige winced as he watched the young boy being struck upon the head. It was too much for him to take. Standing he approached the beautiful woman, the little dog at his heels.

"Now that no way ta be treatin' a lad what has done ye a favor" he said in his rough Scottish brogue. "Come now miss an' calm yerself. Let me buy ye a dram ta' put out th' fire ye have brewin'. I be of the "Mist Reiver"

Lilly looked stunned as the handsome man approached her. “Favor? Ney, not a favor…a service. I paid good money for him to carry out one simple task, and he could not get it right the first time. As for my actions towards the boy, it was right and just.” Lilly could see that she was drawing attention to herself. She smoothed the slide of her face lightly, as if to pale a feminine expression of poise. “Capt. MacCraige, you say? I would love to partake in a cider or two with you if you wish. But I shall be frank with thee, I do not care to be scolded by a stranger. Let us hope that we will become friends then?” Lilly just smiled lightly, a sly smile at that.

Member of "The Forsaken"

"Dear Misstress , ye are not a prisoner onboard this ship! Infact ye are one of it's saviors , ye are a part of Maligna , and she is a part of ye now!  " He said still chuckling .

Ioan was surprised by Strikers request. He could also see that Jane didn't like the idea one bit. Ioan wasn't sure if it was the built-up stress of fighting the hurricane, the chaotic state his life seemed to be in, or his still-throbbing back, but the devil in his personality made a sudden appearance.

He smiled at Jane. "Oh, come on deary, I won't bite ya. If the Captain things ya need a guard, then who am I ta argue with him?"

Then Ioan turned to the Captain. "I'll go, but I request a condition, sir. That being, that if she gives me the slip in town, ya won't hold me responcible."

Then he gave Jane a wink, just to annoy her further.

The cockyness of the Welshman made Striker turn around. He glared into Ioans eyes .

"Ye are not her guard ... We would rather say ye are her help ! Now leave ... both of you " He scolded both of them verbally before Lauritzsen caught his attention again.

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

Ioan took the rebuke calmly, feeling it was partly deserved. But when he turned to the woman, it was obvious she'd rather throw herself overboard than suffer Ioan's company. He wondered what the business was he should help her with, but on reflection decided not to ask.

The devil in him went into hiding again while he waited for the woman to decide if going ashore in his company was worth whatever business she needed to conduct there.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

In woman's hand a letter was penned....

Lord Robert Darnly

White Hall

London England

Most Sacred Friend,

I send most urgent word to you upon the matters that were spoken of in your last letter. Less than four days ago, Captain John Sterling has taken to wedding a ‘child-bride’! To my amazement, Mistress Lilly seems to support the Captain’s actions and by his own hand, the Captain has now surrender Mistress McKinney into your hands! She is yours for the taking, Robert.

Yet, convincing Mistress McKinney to return to England now will not be a problem, however, securing a ship to set sail may well be. There were many here upon the island have barely survived a grand storm which has shaken Port Royal to its very foundation. The storm lasted for two days and left havoc and destruction in it’s’ path. Several buildings in towne toppled like sticks against the high winds and the waves of the ocean crashed into port causing many a good ship to take cover upon the open sea.

During the storm, I sought shelter with Master Hutchinson and he has been a most gracious host. Though, he does worry me so with his odd behavior at times. I fear that he misses Scotland and wishes for the comfort of home.

As upon your instructions, I shall do my best to encourage Mistress McKinney’s return to London where she will be happily reunited with babe and you.

Your Most Humble and Obedient Servant

Lady Tess St. Claire

Port Royal, Jamaica

23 of July, 16—

“Sir,” Symms asked quietly as Sterling slowly came round. He felt that he could easily roll over and return to sleep, but he didn’t. Instead he lay, eyes fixed on the timbers above him, feeling more tired than when he had fallen asleep, still the pain had passed... for now. To be correct, he really couldn’t remember when or even how he had drifted off, or how he had come to be in his cabin, only that he had made a point of walking back to the Archangel. One hand slowly raised to rest, palm down, upon his forehead before he closed his eyes again. His head was already beginning to ache.

“What is it Mr. Symms?” he whispered. “Would ye be so kind as to get me a drink?”

“Aye captain, of course,” the old steward replied turning toward Sterling’s desk and the ever filled decanter of Port. “Tis Mr. March, sir. Says a letter was delivered from Mistress McKinney earlier on and that, when ye feel up to it, he would bring it to ye to read. Says the woman had tried to deliver her belongings as well, but Mr. March felt it best to send them back. If indeed, ye are planning to return the woman back to England, surely it will not be first thing in the morning!” Symms told him.

Sterling lay quiet for a few moments, regarding Symms’ report. Symms would never refer to Lilly McKinney as Mistress or Lady, twas always woman, and in the most disrespectful of tones. Sterling was certain that tone would grow far more coarse, now that he was married and to Aurore, a girl Symms had only briefly met, but already highly approved of. Correct as always, Mr. March had done the right thing to send the trunk back to its owner. Where on earth did she think to house herself before quarters were arranged for her for the journey? The Archangel was not a passenger ship, those that traveled on her strictly to get from point A to point B were few and far between. Sterling brought both hands to bare upon his face. He felt warm even to himself, his hands far too cool against his skin. He finished by raking his fingers through his loose hair.

“Where is Andrew then with the … letter ye say?” Sterling asked. He tried to sit up as Symms came with the glass of wine.

“Have a care sir and rest easy,” the steward warned. “Ye are not well enough at the moment.”

Sterling sighed. “Tis the story of my life as of late.” With a frown he took the glass and downed it. “Ask Mr. March to come. I shall see what Lilly wants now.”

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Lord Darnly took to sitting in the shade that day. The summer heat did not agree with him. “Blast this weather! Will this heat never end?” He muttered to himself. Not far from where he sat, Lord Darnly watched the nursemaid tend to the child. He lent forward to view him closer. There dressed in white linen and placed upon a wool drape, the child was content to amuse himself with the wooden toy he had in his possession. As he looked down at the child, Lord Darnly examined him closer. Though this was not the first time he set eyes upon him, he soon explored the features of the child that lay in front of him.

Lord Darnly looked intensely at him as if trying desperately to find a trace of his appearance in the boy. First, his hair color was white blonde and very fine. Lord Darnly’s hair was thick and dark…what little was left of it. The boy’s eyes were the loveliest shade of blue. This, he was sure, the babe got from his lovely mother. Upon further examination, the nose was slender and tiny, the cheeks were pink and plump, and the boys ears, for the most part were close to his head and they did not stick out in the same awkward fashion as Lord Darnly’s. With a deep regrettable sigh, Lord Darnly shook his head. “This child is not mine.” Again, he muttered to himself. It was a fear that he did not wish to accept. Now sitting before him was the bastard son of the one man whom he despised. It was Captain Sterling who stole away the only woman he love, it was Captain Sterling who's name was now associated with his in slanderous gossip throughout London.

Lord Darnly clutched his fist and pounded his knee in anger. “Damn that Man!” Moreover, with that shout the babe cried out. Lord Darnly gave the nursemaid a scowl. “Hush him! I shall not listen to his crying.” He said as he sat up from his place underneath the willow tree. “I shall return to my study. There is some important business I must conduct. See to it that he takes his nap and I am not to be disturbed. Is that understood?” The nursemaid nodded as collected the child in her arms. With that Lord Darnly returned to the house.

“Least it’s jest one stop. Then we’ll ‘ead round ta tha yards.” Jane said flatly to Ioan as they descended to the waiting boat.

She dropped over the side before him, sliding hand over hand down the rope, with an ease that surprised the three Dane’s below and raised an eyebrow from her reluctant companion. Jane was furious over the Welshman’s accompaniment but knew better than to question a captain, especially one as stubborn as Striker. The scowl on her pink face & the glare she shot at Ioan, when she bothered to look at him at all, was enough to make her feelings quite clear. Despite her annoyance though, Jane rather enjoyed seeing him scolded. After all it was the least his cocksure attitude deserved. Perhaps the memory of it would keep his attitude in check, at least where she was concerned.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Ioan was getting a great deal of pleasure out of the knowledge that the woman was furious over the order of his company. He admired her agility with the ropes, and her obvious ease with sailors, and thought that, had they not gotten off to such a bad start, they might have become friends...eventually. It was his nature to tease people, even to the point of frustration, and he admitted to himself that in most relationships, he was in it for whatever good it would bring him. He also had a overwhelming sense of curiosity...and he was very curious about Jane. Maybe this little forced expedition would supply him with a bit of useful information. And information was always a handy thing.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

MacCraige smiled back at the lovely woman.

"Please forgive me lack o' courtesy then" he stated with a wink

Offering the lady his arm, "Please allow me ta' escort ye to the bar then, miss?..."

The wee black dog at his feet gave a little bark..."Oh, where be me manners...hehe...this scoundrel at me feet be me mate." the little dog danced in a circle at the mention of his name.

"Ooo!" Mistress Lilly exclaimed in joyous tones. "What is its' name?" She watched the small adorable creature swirl about their feet. "May I pet it?" She questioned the good Captain. "I love dogs." She said with a smile. ..."whether they have two legs or four...they are most amusing!" The Captain just smiled at her coy comment.

Member of "The Forsaken"

"Aye, ye may pet him...hehe...he may lick ye though...he has no manners. His name be "Mate" and I 'ave yet te learn yer name" MacCraige stated with a sly smile at the dog.

"Works ever' time" he thought to himself. :ph34r:

Amazed that the Captain did not know of her fame, she blushed for a moment. "I see you do not get to London very often, Captain. “Pity,” She taking her seat next to the bar, “My face and my performances are quite well known. I am Mistress Lilly McKinney, Actress.” She said smiling allowing the good Captain to take her hand.

Member of "The Forsaken"

Despite telling Ioan that it would only be one stop, Jane led them to two.

At first she wove a random path, turning down alleys and back streets until Ioan was sure she was trying to loose him. She slogged through the debris strewn streets, climbing over fallen tree limbs and timber walls, never once turning to see if he still followed. She kept up a brisk pace, secretly hoping that her shadow would ignore his orders and leave her to her own devices. He was a pirate after all, regardless of what he said about “quick escapes”. What ever happened to those tales of lawless villains the other sailors had told, or were they merely made up stories to scare the younger mates. Jane stopped dead in her tracks as she turned yet another corner, jerked from her wandering thoughts, by a large crowd.

“Wot’s this now?” Jane questioned a pudgy fellow in front of her. They weren’t far from where the Anna Rae had been docked. Her brow furrowed as she stood on the balls of her feet, trying to see over the shoulders of the gawkers.

“Sum fool thunk tah keep ‘is ship ona docks durn tha storm. She done half sunk n tore up tha dock sumfin bad. Thay tryin ta pull ‘er free now.” He replied, turning a round face to her briefly before looking back at the organized chaos around the wrecked ship.

Realization dawned on Jane, green eyes going round as she stood flat on her feet again. Impatiently she shoved past the man, nearly knocking him over in her haste to see the damage. Deep down she knew it was the merchantman, but until she’d see it, she couldn’t fully believe it. Reaching the front of the mob Jane came to another abrupt halt.

There, half sunk, a gaping hole in her side, lay the remains of the Anna Rae. The unrelenting wind had forced her against her moorings. A gash had been torn in an area Jane remembered as already damaged. The high water filled that void, half drowning the poor ship with only the dock to hold her above water. Two of the three masts were in splinters, tangled in the once hard working lines. A small salvage crew swarmed around the hulk, securing guide lines and clearing rubble in preparation for separating the vessel from the shore.

“Blasted fool.” Jane muttered, dropping her eyes with a resigned sigh before turning on her heel and pushing back into the throng of onlookers. It was over, the past two years of her life, gone in a matter of days. Just like the previous chapter of her life had changed overnight. She felt incapable of making a slow transition, doomed to suffer the changes in life with no warning.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Her effort to get rid of him made Ioan smile. Nice try, missy, but he had orders, and for the moment, those orders he would obey. But her manner changed when she saw the ruined ship. It didn't take a conjurer to see that its destruction upset her more than she was willing to show. Personally, he couldn't see why its loss was so bothersome, since it seemed a poor vessel in already bad repair. If her captain had been stupid enough to stay in port, well then, he reaped the reward of such stupidity.

Then Ioan remembered how Jane had looked when they'd first met—dressed as a common sailor. He gave the ill-fated ship one final backward glance. So, that's how Jane arrived in Port Royal. Stowed away, most like, but...she did know her way around a ship. Then it struck him, and he laughed out loud. They'd thought she was a man, Lord luv um.

More intrigued than ever, he continued to follow the young woman through the stinking streets of Port Royal.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Before he could retreat to the other side of the table, I held his wrist capture for a moment, feeling his quickened pulse, then turned his hand palm up, and kissed its warm center. Hand released, I said, "Thank you," my voice soft with new admiration and affection.

Taking a slow deep breath, I gave him a smile unlike any other I'd offered him. "So, what fine supper have you ordered for us, for I suddenly find myself famished."

Her query fell to almost deaf ears, the sensation of palm bequeath over riding his focus. As released hand drifted back to hang near hip, it was unconsciously flexed to close and a moment passed before his thoughts cleared and answer delivered. The dark eyes moved from her hesitantly to glance over what could be had in wake of tempest. Tally was taken before report' and though what was had could not be said of meager selection, Sabastian's brow knit briefly at the desire that it could have been more.

"You must forgive, Mademoiselle. I cannot say that I think this meal worthy of your appetite, but I fear it shall have to do...."

Empty platter was procured and he choose decisively from the selection to ensure Ransom receiving the choice bits. Fruit was checked carefully with scrutinizing eye; no bruising would due. Breast meat was obtained from duck sacrifice, accompanied by rye bread and pale cheese. When all balanced upon pewter surface, he motioned for Ransom to retake seating then placed burden before her.

Elixir vessel was replaced with another of different content, then he retreated to opposite end. There were many things that crossed Sabastian's mind. Most of which he wouldn't dare voice…

At least not at the current moment.

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Andrew March made his way to Sterling’s cabin. He knocked first, shifted his weight from foot to foot, as he waited for Symms’ old face to peer through the slight crack he would allow when opening the cabin door.

“The Captain wishes a word with me?” Mr. March asked, knowing all too well what he had been summoned for. Already he held the actress’s letter in hand, thumb placed over the seal, just waiting for the word to crush it open.

“Aye Mr. March. Come along. He wishes fer the letter that woman left with you earlier today,” the steward replied in explanation. “Mayhaps tis the very one yer holding.”

“Aye Mr. Symms, it tis,” March answered moving it out of reach of the old buzzard. He entered the cabin and made his way over to Sterling’s bunk as Symms closed and locked the door behind him.

“Andrew,” Sterling said acknowledging his first officer.

“Captain,” March began but Sterling waved his hand in dismissal.

“No need for formalities. We three are very much alone here,” Sterling said.

“Very well then,” March said pulling a chair along side the bed and taking his ease. “How are ye fairing John?”

“I must confess tis very much tired that I still am,” Sterling answered.

"And the pain?"

Sterling eyes lowered briefly, as if he should feel guilty for what had happened. "Tis past... for now."

March nodded in understanding, then quickly changed the subject.

“Well then I shan’t be keeping ye. Here is the letter Mistress McKinney left for ye. She requested an answer. I told the boy we would have it sent a long when ye were ready. Want that I should read it to ye?”

March said.

“Aye ye would be doing me a great service at the moment,” the captain said. He closed his eyes, resting back as the first officer unsealed the letter and unfolded the paper.

To My Earthly Angel,

What sadness captures your heart when you cannot even reveal such a truth to your new wife? Upon your leaving yesterday morning, the look in your eye could only mean sadness, misfortune and heartbreak. What occurred between you and her can only be measured by the silence you have taken…and by the bottle, you now favor.

Why do you banish me when I extend my hand in friendship? ‘Twas it not I who stood up in church and spoke for you and Aurore whilst Tess St. Claire tried to spoil the ceremony? I have heard it said that marriage without a contract looks so odd, that it appears more like the coupling of irrational than rational creatures. You know that I speak the truth. It is only my wish that you be happy…yet, I fear that the path you chose will not lead you two to happiness.

She, though kind and tender to you, is not suitable for you. She is from another world and her family may never accept you for the kind and loving person that you are. It is said, that like blood, like good, and like age make the happiest marriage. We are of the same cloth, you and I. We have spent many an hour talking of our future together. Tis it not better to wed over here than over the moor?

I am the fool, my Love. I come forth and say that I am sorry, twas my foolishness, pride and greed, which has gotten the best of me. It is only now that I understand that love should make marriage, not marriage love.

Enclosed is my gift to you. It is our son’s lock of hair, which I wish you to keep safe. I know that you cannot wait to see him for yourself when we return to England. I pray that he shall know his father and that you will do right and just by him as well.

Your Flower,

Lilly

"Damn the woman!" Symms said harshly as March finished his reading. "Still trying to stir up trouble for ye! Ye be married now, with enough on yer mind and body! She's done lost her chance. Did ye not offer her the world and she chucked it back at yer feet?"

March grinned broadly at Symms's outburst, but when he turned to face his captain, he was not met with an equally amused expression. Instead Sterling gnawed slowly on his lower lip. March noticed the long fingers twisting the wedding band that once again encircled the captain's ring finger. March frowned now, almost as deeply as the old steward.

"What is it John?" the first officer asked.

"Perhaps Mistress McKinney is right," Sterling said, finally holding out his hand for the lock of his son's hair.