Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

Greetings one and all!

OOC - This is a chance for anyone wishing to develop a historically driven character and see where that role takes them.

If you aren't into roleplaying and simply want to pick someone up or talk in modern terms, stay out. In turn, we won't allow anyone to post your life's story here or make fun of you. Simple enough for you wouldn't exist yet.

We humbly request that the moderator, Dear Rumba, monitor this to ensure that we keep to the rules.

SCENARIO

The years are anywhere between 1660 and 1730 in Port Royal, Jamaica.

This is the two primes of Port Royal, pre-earthquake (1650 to 1692 - the age of the Buccaneers) and post earthquake (1692 to 1730), the Golden Age of Piracy. I have created a wide date range to accommodate all characters, factual as well as fictional. The town was selected for its famed accommodation of privateering and piracy and its rich history, through which we paint this scenario. Don't worry if a place or person was there or not during the time period you are portraying. The goal is to develop your own character and get in his or her mind set.

The town if full of great historic haunts - famous taverns (one tavern for every 9 people at its peak), Fort Charles, Chocolata Hole, Fisher's Row and Lime Street, the Old Gaol and so much more. Depending on the time period, you could easily run into the likes of Blackbeard, Charles Vane, Calico Jack and Anne Bonney as well as many lesser known captains and crewe mates and characters, such as the German Princess.

Merchants were plenty as were the usual things to be found in any booming port town: strumpets, thieves, craftsmen and opportunists.

Here's some helpful information....

# TRADE – Even in the mid to late 1600s, trade was amazingly robust. Local archeology experts say that Port Royal prior to the earthquake was comparable to Boston in the 1700s. Ships from all over the world came to Port Royal to sell their wares, take on cargoes and crews and conduct commerce. We enjoyed a presentation by the acting director of the Jamaica Heritage National Trust that was very telling. As noted earlier, goods from all over the world made their way to Port Royal. As such, those who lived there enjoyed the finest goods available – silks from the Orient, porcelain from Denmark, England and China, pewter plates and drinkware (locally made and imported) and items from France, Germany, Africa and India. Ships arrived every day there with new loads of goods to be sold in the marketplaces that lined the wharves. It was surprising to see beautiful carvings from China, including jade statues, porcelain tea cups and rice bowls... the influences were far reaching. Point for re-enactors or historical enthusiasts: the director says there were definitely lots of Oriental influences in Port Royal society so one can assume that the raw materials for clothing (fine silks and brocades from China and Japan) were available as well. So you could defend colorful attire if your character is in port in Jamaica as the society there had access to Eastern influences and lots of wealth.

CONSTRUCTION – The city itself resembled most English cities of the time. Buildings were constructed of brick and timbers. The closest architectural style would be Tudor. The floors were largely brick and excavations have shown finely laid herringbone brick floors that survive to this day, albeit in 7 to 25 feet of water offshore. There is not as much information about the town's construction during the so called Golden Age of Piracy, 1690 to 1730. The city had been totally destroyed in 1692, and obviously was in a rebuild stage during the Golden Age on a much, much smaller footprint (13 acres of the city were sunk within two minutes in 1692). It was also hit with major hurricanes in 1712, 1726, 1744 and 1751 as well as a great fire in 1704. Even then sailors and townfolk refused to leave the town, rebuilding each time.

A map of the town at the time, which is relatively accurate...

prmap.jpg

Well, enough brief history.

Let the games begin....

"Land only holds promise if men at sea have the courage to fight for it."

- Sir Henry

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An update from the Admiral of the Fleet...

As you well know, The Oxford was destroyed in the harbor last night. More than 250 brave and hearty souls lost their lives aboard her, including Captains Aylett and Bigford.

I, five other men and four boys were the only survivors, being fortunate to have been seated on the same side of the table during our Council of War relating to our planned attack on Cartegena to disrupt Spanish supply lines.

We have lost our only warship to protect these waters against the Spanish dawgs. I am relying on the many loyal privateers here to protect our great country.

As I am not yet sure of the cause, I am doubling the guards at the forts as insurance against further acts of sabotage, is such was the case. I have asked his Excellency, Governor Modyford, to extend a curfew tonight to all parts of Port Royal.

A service will be held at ChristChurch tomorrow on the morn and I encourage all of townfolk to turn out to mourn the loss of my fellow comrades in arms.

Your humble servant,

Admiral Henry Morgan

Admiral of the Fleet, Jamaica

- Sir Henry

Good day sir, let me once again introduce myself as I enter this tavern.

I was born in London. I began my career aboard a man-of-war. It answered my call of the sea. But after some time, I fould my service would be better used on land. In Flanders I was a cadet in a foot regiment, then a horse regiment, gaining the esteem of my fellow officers, but never earning my commission

Then my story becomes much more sedate. Alas, I found myself the recipient of arrow shot.... cupids that is. I left the military life to begin a family life.... but it was not to be.... My sweet spouse was also a fragile constitution, and was taken from me at too young an age.

I then decided to go back to my other love... the sea.

The only story I can tell of note sir is that I did encounter pyrates at one time. I was taken aboard a Dutch ship, working for my passage to the Indies when we were taken by pyrates. The only reason my body remains intact is that they were Englishmen and once they realized, I was a fellow countryman, my blood was spared. I also had to tell them an untruth, that I would join their ranks... as you can understand, one will say what they must when a crew of bloodthirsty hounds are breathing down ones neck....

Thankfully, the King's Proclaimation pardoning pyrates was offered up, and I eagerly took advantage of it as my way to escape the lie I had told to keep my life.

And that sir, is how I found my way here.

You mention a need for Privateers? I am always one to jump to protect my beloved country. Can you point me in the direction to get the proper papers?

Having heard word of a "service" in honor of those who served under Admiral Morgan's fine grand fleet but died from the ship having exploded, the thought crossed her mind to at least pay respects. If not enjoy a moment's release upon land. Port Royal appeared to be that very a momentary place.

A fine ship of red and black with red sails sailed towards the harbor. In tarnished silver-gold fancy letters the name on the side said RESURRECTION

Resurrectionredsails.jpg

All eyes on the Resurrection were upon Fort Charles there on the cliff overlooking all.

Flying the English Union Jack as they approached the Port, all aboard attempting to act natural and wondering if they would be allowed to sail into port to at least anchor and take on provisions, pay respects to the fallen sailors.

On the Quarterdeck, the Lady stood in a black dress trimmed in crimson red...

AnaLadyDeathdoll.jpg

Watching the Fort and the Port, appearing more at ease and calm than some within the crew.

But she also prayed that those manning the cannons at Fort Charles would simply allow them to pass and not think them a threat. Well, for now.. they were not a threat.

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Commander of the Fort,

A ship is making passage into the harbor. Please fire a salutory cannon round in her honor. Perhaps she brings news from England or better, some more goods to trade... she is indeed a fine looking ship, stout and with good draft. She sails well into the wind.

I will alert the harbor master and the customs agent that they should meet the ship at the docks near the King's Warehouse.

Henry makes his way from Fort Charles and up Lime Street to meet the incoming ship and her master. As he does so, he stops in at the Three Crownes tavern for a quick taste of Port to cool the summer's blistering heat.

-- Admiral Morgan

- Sir Henry

<Out of Character....>

there on the cliff overlooking all.

Lady Barbossa....(not trying to be too nit-picking...) there arn't any cliffs to overlook all.... ;)

I figure so everyone can get a better idea of Port Royal, they can check out this page......

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/portroyal/

Lots of good information, so we can keep it accurate........

I'll post my story latter.... Port Royal is where my Buccaneer personna is working out of.....

<In Character mode ON >

<Out of character>

Hey Pat, whose to say there weren't a few cliffs before the big shake up. Port Royal is a little low lying now, but I saw some high bluffs across the harbor in Spanish Towne. ;)

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

OOC Apologies, Mr Hand.

BIC:

A few on the Resurrection jumped at the sound of the cannon from the Fort. One man was jumpy enough that he darn near fell from the topsail! The mate next to him grabbed him and chewed him out for being so damn jumpy and after a couple more exchanges of banter and a bitching at from a Master's Mate, they settled.

As Lady turned her head to the Fort she smiled. All was good and it put her at ease to know that they were apparently welcome.

The Resurrection sail into harbor, dodging if you will the other boats and ships.

<OOC Partick - Brilliant reference thank you for passing that on!!!!>

IC

Upon Hearing a call that there is a new ship nearing the city, I take a stroll out towards the point , near Fort Charles taking in the site of the magnificent ship approaching with the mountains across the harbour as her backdrop...and wondering if she were taking on new crewe

I followed the shoreline back around the edge of the city and found myself pained for it....

Limping into the Inn, "Unlike my native England the grass here is course...cutting even.... and what are those damnable plants that bear needles! Weapons they are if you ask me!!!

Pour me something good in taste and strong in effect to drink, and something not so good in taste to pour on the wounds I have recieved from the foliage!!"

JC. Sterling,

Captain, The Archangel

Personal journal.

My God, what a day to follow such a night! One canst hardly fathom that ye Oxford be gone. Many a good man lost. And now a challenge from Sir Henry himself, to band together and take up arms... My crew say have at it and yet as I sit and try to write, my head throbs not only from my 'gift' for being nasara-damarahum Al-lah, but from torn loyalties to a country that has abandoned me time and time again, from my very own Father to the King himself.

I, an only son, married under the sign of the Pen and Hand, against my father's wishes to a girl of no property, I was not to be disinherited.... post haste. Shortly enough, though, after the death of two sons and a third along with my wife in child bed, outcast from Court, and forced to beg for Letters of Marque to hunt pirates off the coast of North Africa in order to avoid selling shares of the Archangel to investors to keep her afloat. My God, she now be the only thing left I can call my own save for a daughter in the care and keeping, not of family, but a Coffee-house mistress who promises to keep Sarah safe and to bring her up fit to be married. But to whom? My own class turns callous toward me and ye middling sort claim I can never be one of them. Mayhaps I should have remained in slavery in Algiers... little did any one I know lift a finger to have me ransomed. And now this, a call to arms. Sir Henry, twas a time when I could call him equal, do I dare to show my face in hopes to obtain ye necessary commissions? A chance to win prizes and perhaps some glory? At least to keep ye 'Angle to myself and me crew? Mayhaps to send my first officer, Andrew March for ye papers, and to show only myself at church.

God's teeth, must put pen to rest for ye strain of seeing ye page is grown too great. Some port and perchance some sleep before I send myself to church on ye morrow.

All characters/names/conditions are the sole property of C. A. Salone and cannot be used without permission... Copyright/TM 2000.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

OOC:

Question... is there a way to turn all this into a printable format... to keep tabs on all this offline as well as on?

Hector

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Alerted by the cannon shot, Sterling goes ondeck to watch the new arrival take her place at the docks to unload whatever cargo or passengers she carries.

"Good evening, Captain," March offers, knuckles to the brim of his cocked hat. "I've dipped our colours to the Resurrection."

"Thank ye Master March," I reply as I continue to watch the new ship bring herself along side the wharf, the sun light rapidly failing her.

"Can not rest sir? Tis yer head be bothering ye again?" March asks, his voice lowering.

"Aye," I answer. Tis enough for my first officer, he knows me all too well. "I've seen this ship once before," I comment then shift, looking about my own. Everything, as always, is in order. My crew is good one. And yet, I can always do with a few more hands and then, some times I fear I will never find the money to keep them happy.

I turn to my steward and ask for hat, gloves and sword.

"I be for a turn about the town, Master March. I'll warrant there be a tavern worth venturing into for a glass of port and a bit of news." I know if I find it the glass will rapidly turn to a bottle and then some. I turn and collect the things I have requested from my steward. He pockets in my coat a small snaphance as well. "Watch yer back Captain," he mumbles trying to keep to his place.

"No slipping the cable," I call to the first officer. "Surely ye jest sir?" Master March replies, as he has a hundred times before.

Crewe of the Archangel

OOC:

This is a quick notice to alert all those who have chosen to develop their historic characters in Port Royal, Jamica, that there is now a second/joint thread to where all can post questions/advice on historical background info or technical role playing info.

The only reason being, a hope to avoid constantly breaking the story line by popping in and out of character...

Hope this helps all involved....

Carry on creating now... BIC

JC Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

Admiral Morgan emerges from the tavern, well quenched with fine Port from Spain. The sun is shining brightly overhead. The townfolk greet the Admiral and he doffs his hat to one to Lord Mordyford's lovely wife, who has been shopping along Lime Street.

He then heads off to greet the incoming ship. Arriving there, he meets the customs officer, who is also awaiting the ship to dock.

Good day and salutations to you on this day. I see we have yet another new visitor in our port. Soon we will need to put off more into the harbor until we can free up a few of these wharves.

"Aye, sir. That certainly is the case. We've had many new arrivals in the last week, filled with cargoes from far and wide. I just cleared a large shipment of fine silks that are being offloaded as we speak at Waterman's Wharf. I suggest that you show yourself there and pick out something nice for your dear wife."

A fine idea, sir. She has been locked away on the plantation so long tending to the daily tasks there that she deserves that she never makes it to town. Of course, she's never really liked Port Royal... it's simply not to her tastes - a bit rough.

Who makes port here today? Do you know the nature or origin of this ship?

"Nay sir. I've sent out a small launch to call out to the ship's master to ensure that she is not in quarantine. I have not heard of The Resurrection before as she has never made port here before. Of course, as you know Admiral, sir, ships hardly keep their original names for long in these waters."

So true, sir. I dare say a few of my own have had an identity crisis or two in recent years.

I, I am just lucky to be in one piece after the Oxford exploded. I was blown clear of the blast and knocked into the water. An act of God to be sure. I am fortunate to be alive.

"We are all fortunate to have you alive, Admiral."

Thank you kind sir. Ah, I see Simon Benning yonder. I have an order in process with him - some new pewter for the misses. Excuse me while I speak with him directly.

Mister Benning, sir. May I have a word with you for a moment?

Henry walks across Thames to speak with Mister Benning, the finest pewterer in town. The customs officer returns to his paperwork dockside, while The Resurrection stands to and lowers sail.

-- Admiral Morgan

Admiral of the Fleet, Jamaica

- Sir Henry

an advertisement in the latest Port Royal newspaper:

Mr. Jonas P. Stenbom, Chirugien; lately in service to His Swedish Majesty's Royal Navy, wishes it to be known that he is available for physical consultations, treatments, and general chirugerie. The Largest Pharmacopiae in Port Royal are maintained by Mr. Stenbom. Member of the Royal Society, Stockholm. Student at the Finest Medical Instutites of Europe -- Leiden -- Palermo -- Edinburgh -- L'Hôpital de Paris.

Treatment of Maladies of the Seaman are his Particular area of Study. Discretion is Assured!

All interested persons may apply at His Rooms located above the Goat and Compasses, in High Street.

Mr. Jonas P. Stenbom, Chirugien; lately in service to His Swedish Majesty's Royal Navy, wishes it to be known that he is available for physical consultations, treatments, and general chirugerie.  The Largest Pharmacopiae in Port Royal are maintained by Mr. Stenbom.  Member of the Royal Society, Stockholm.  Student at the Finest Medical Instutites of Europe -- Leiden -- Palermo -- Edinburgh -- L'Hôpital de Paris.

Treatment of Maladies of the Seaman are his Particular area of Study.  Discretion is Assured!

All interested persons may apply at His Rooms located above the Goat and Compasses, in High Street.

Greetings to ye Master Stenbom. My name is Andrew March of the Archangel..I've come on behalf of me captain. His head still be plaguin him, sometin fierce. He tried drinkin it off last night, but most likely has only made things worse upon his self. Would ye be kind enough to give me something to tide him over until the service at the church concludes?

Crewe of the Archangel

A shout of an approaching party as Graves turned and strode to the railing, watching the approaching boat.

"Drop anchor!" Graves barked as his order was repeated 2 times before a moment later hearing the rattling and the kerPlunk! of the anchor into the harbor waters.

Graves glanced at Ana a moment and she blinked while nodding once.

he turned and trotted down the steps of the quarterdeck to the main deck, off to greet the Harbor party.. as it were.

Ana watched as the Helmsmen tied the rope about the wheel, locking it into place. Her eyes also watched as the crew milled about in the rigging to tie off the sails while those on deck were milling about with the anchor line and other duties.

Her eyes also saw as Moultrie walked over to join Graves as a man climbed aboard and began to speak with Graves... followed by another man and a young lad. She eyes locked on the 3 new comers... watching the lips of Graves and those he spoke to.

Graves mentioned they had little to declare. Just his sister, in which he motioned towards Ana who in return smiled as the 3 from the Harbor party looked at her, another passenger, some spices, exotic woods, and spare ship equipage, exotic fabrics. But no foods and their rum supply was gone apparently. They didn't have much for sale or trade but what they had could be sold for a price. Mostly Graves declared that they were there to pick up provisions, drop off a passenger, offer sympathies and condolences to the most recent accident, and a wee bit of relaxation for the crew who have been at sea for a few months.

Graves hoped that didn't raise too many brows and left them vulnerable to being watched round the clock.

But as the man was not utterly satisfied with mere words, Graves was willing to take them below. So he, Moultrie and the party of 3 descended below decks where Graves showed them the safety of their magazine and provisions there. Granted the amount of cannons was large - nearly 45 - but Graves assured it was necessary to ward off Pirates, Privateers or any other thief who attempted to near his ship saying that the Resurrection was far too grand a prize, his pride and joy, to allow it to fall into the hands of someone else. He was willing to sacrifice space for the luxury of safety... even for high profile passengers.

Graves and Moultrie showed them the dark hold where little was there but a few of the exotic items he mentioned and extra ship equipment. A few barrels were stacked neatly... a couple crates in which were shut though had to show the man what was inside. Graves explained their were his sister's possessions and family heirlooms.

After showing the 3 around, they came back upon deck where Ana was now on the main deck nearly near the steps of the foredeck as she turned to see them appear.

A few nods, more exchanging of words as hands motioned towards beyond Fort James. Another nod from all.. then the harbor party decended to the boat and slowly made way back to the docks to the Customs Officer.

Graves turned to Moultrie as they spoke a little more, Moultrie then walked off and gave orders.

Graves strode towards Ana as soon as he caught sight of her again.

"We've been instructed to dock near the King's Warehouse." Graves informed her with a slight smile.

Raising a brow. "Obviously they trust us well enough." They both laughed briefly.

She nodded. "Very well then, proceed. You know what needs to be done."

Graves nodded. "Aye," and so he moved to the Quarterdeck as she stepped up onto the foredeck to the front of the bow gazing out.

Turning to see the anchor hauled up and a couple sails being released to catch the wind, the 2 men at the helm to steer the ship... and the Resurrection was off again, taking it slow around the harbor to it's assigned dock.

Her hazel green eyes watching the thriving city of Port Royal. Oddly enough...it reminded her of Charles Town in South Carolina. But just as briefly as a memory flashed through mind, it was gone.

Mr. Jonas P. Stenbom, Chirugien; lately in service to His Swedish Majesty's Royal Navy, wishes it to be known that he is available for physical consultations, treatments, and general chirugerie.  The Largest Pharmacopiae in Port Royal are maintained by Mr. Stenbom.  Member of the Royal Society, Stockholm.  Student at the Finest Medical Instutites of Europe -- Leiden -- Palermo -- Edinburgh -- L'Hôpital de Paris.

Treatment of Maladies of the Seaman are his Particular area of Study.  Discretion is Assured!

Greetings to ye Master Stenbom. My name is Andrew March of the Archangel..I've come on behalf of me captain. His head still be plaguin him, sometin fierce. He tried drinkin it off last night, but most likely has only made things worse upon his self. Would ye be kind enough to give me something to tide him over until the service at the church concludes?

My compliments to your Captain and Good day to you, Mr March. I have prepared a nostrum for your ailing Captain; which he should take one half wineglass full at eight bells of each watch. I also suggest balls of wax or tow, placed in the ears, which gives temporary yet blessed relief from delirium tintinabulus; viz, the horrors of Church Bells on Sunday morning, after a Saturday evening spent in one's cups.

Mr. Jonas P. Stenbom, Chirugien; lately in service to His Swedish Majesty's Royal Navy, wishes it to be known that he is available for physical consultations, treatments, and general chirugerie. The Largest Pharmacopiae in Port Royal are maintained by Mr. Stenbom. Member of the Royal Society, Stockholm. Student at the Finest Medical Instutites of Europe -- Leiden -- Palermo -- Edinburgh -- L'Hôpital de Paris.

Treatment of Maladies of the Seaman are his Particular area of Study. Discretion is Assured!

It is good to have a man of medicine afoot. We have been short on these of late. Welcome to town and I'm sure your business will be a success, sir.

-- Admiral Morgan

Admiral of the Jamaican Fleet

- Sir Henry

Always good to have a medical man in town. We have had a shortage of them as of late. I'm sure you will find great success here sir. Welcome!

-- Admiral Morgan

- Sir Henry

Sir Henry makes his way back to the dock. The Resurrection is just tying up. The docks are filled with activity. Many of the shops have closed in the midday heat and the merchants have moved to the docks to see what the arriving ship may be carrying.

The arrival of a ship in port is always a cause for celebration in town. Especially a ship of this size which holds the promise of great spoils to be had.

Sir Henry surveys the ship and notes the passengers aboard her, now at the rail and looking about the bustling town. He sees several sailors, two men and a striking woman.

Looks like we have company, Captain Sterling. A fine ship she is. With hope she has a rich cargo to share with the merchants.

And you Captain Sterling... how was your last adventure. Fruitful I hope?

- Admiral Morgan

- Sir Henry

Having treated my wounds internally and externally, I decided to wander to the wharf to greet this new vessel. As I neared the dock I could see her name, Ressurection. It struck a memory cord. I scanned the deck and saw a woman and man whose faces also seemed familiar.

I made my way up the dock and as the lady made her move to step ashore, I offered my hand. She hesitated, at first, then deeming me no great threat, took the offer. The man I had recognized then took up position beside her on the dock.

"Mark Read, at your service. Welcome to Port Royal.", I made a slight bow

He introduced them both.

"Well Mr. Graves, I am not sure what your immediate plans would be, but if it fits your schedule, I would be honored to have you and your sister join me at the inn for a meal. The fare will make your sea-hardened stomach very happy to be on land. I would also be interested in hearing of your travels to arrive in these waters... and your... prospects.... or rather sailing plans for the future..."

Sir Henry surveys the ship and notes the passengers aboard her, now at the rail and looking about the bustling town. He sees several sailors, two men and a striking woman.[/i]

Looks like we have company, Captain Sterling. A fine ship she is. With hope she has a rich cargo to share with the merchants.

And you Captain Sterling... how was your last adventure. Fruitful I hope?

- Admiral Morgan

Sterling makes his way slowly to the Admiral's side. Dressed in a simple wool suit, unlaced and unadorned it is the only garment the captain has on board that comes even close to the court's ideal for mourning, he is all too warm and uncomfortable. He is not looking forward to the proceedings at the church's memorial for the crew of the Oxford. He fears they will be all too long and tedious for his liking.

Good day to ye Sir Henry, Sterling says bowing low before his better. He quickly runs his good eye over the Resurrection as she sits idle before him. Sir Henry watches as the man must physically turn his entire form to take in the amazing ship.

Her carved works alone would pay for the repairs the Archangel needs in entirety, the captain mumbles. I wager a ship such as this would never need to show her heels but if she did one would be hard put to the chase. He stares a moment longer, before, with a shake of his head, as if to bring himself out of a day dream he turns to Sir Henry.

Forgive me Sir, I fear I am not as well as I should like. Master Stenbom, was good enough to send something round in the care of one of my officers but, alas, it has yet to do the trick. Will you be presiding over the memorial proceedings later this day?

Sterling is quick to change the subject, his last voyage more than a waste of time. Following rumors of pirate activity and hoping for a capture or two, the Archangel was, instead, beclamed for far too long. When the winds did pick up his only choice was to return someplace close to refit and take on new provisions, his water having run all too dangerously low. His mind, now set only on breaming his ship, everything else seemed but a waste of time. Now all he could do was continue to wait until his vessel was able to take its turn at the shipyards and see what the cursed teredo worm had accomplished.

Crewe of the Archangel

Turning to see the anchor hauled up and a couple sails being released to catch the wind, the 2 men at the helm to steer the ship... and the Resurrection was off again, taking it slow around the harbor to it's assigned dock.

Nestled between barrel and bunk, Mistress Lilly feels the ship toss again as she pens another entry into her diary.

14th of May

In the Year of Our Lord...168*

Port Royal, Jamica

It has come to this; my life's journey has brought me half way around the world and yet, I cannot fathom the path in which it has brought me here.

I am what I am...An Actress who makes my living on the great stages of London. But I did not begin there. Born a country lass, I gave my heart away once. I swear I will never do so again. With my heart I also gave my body and now, in order to keep my place as a great actress, I must give my body away on a continual basis.

Originally, I made my way to London, after the boy I loved used me and tossed me aside for another. Heartbroken and naive to the ways of the citie, I allowed myself to be taken in by a Mother Bawd. Kind she seemed at first, a bible open in her front hall, and promising words to ensnare any foolish girl. It was not long before I was a mare in her house. Thanks be, that I was never frenchified and finally summonsed up enough sense to flee from her and try to find a place in service.

I was taken in by the Empress and put to work in one of her mantua shops as a seampstress. But sewing is not a talent that I well posses. My talents lay between the bed linens and upon the boards. So back to the whore's trade the Empress put me. But a kind and thoughtful mistress she is and soon she introduced me to my patron, Lord Darnley. A man of great rank and questionable tastes, all too similar to the late Earl of Rochester. Under his care I was soon the toast of London, my Desdamona the greatest to behold... and yet, in the summer months, when the theaters close, my patron, along with the rest of the court escape the heat & stink of the citie and run to take refuge in the country. Where I must never follow.

I grow weary of turning back every summer to the passions of the lower sort instead of the class which keep me well, so I have taken the Empress' counsel to bring some culture to the great Island of Jamaica. Or am I running from a man who presses a marriage proposal upon me not once, but twice and yet cannot keep me as I deserve? I sicken of men, and yet I need them to survive. Perhaps Jamaica will be a fresh start and yet, as I board this strange ship with a woman as captain, I am uncomfortable.... tis not right, a female, for yea, I shall not call her a lady, to promenade her way about in men's clothing. Can she be trusted?

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

As the crew of the Resurrection rushed about to take the sails in and tie them down, the ropes tied to the moorings, both anchors dropped to keep the Resurrection in place... just in case some damn fool would attempt to cut her lines. It's happened before.

As Graves and 2 other men wandered about shouting orders and overseeing that duties were performed swiftly and correctly.... the Lady in black was striding along the main deck, glancing about.

Coming up to Graves she patted the man on the shoulder, smiled and nodded to him. "I shall see you soon enough," a queue that he had the ship until she returned.

The gangway was moved to connect the Resurrection to the docks. Being as much a Lady as possible, she made her way off the ship to the docks only to have her hand seized by a man-

"Mark Read, at your service. Welcome to Port Royal."

Her eyes watched him with caution but was as genteel as possible.

With a slight bob and a nod of her head. "Thank you, Mr Read," was all she simply replied to him in her sweet, deep femme voice.

Graves stood at the top of the gangplank watching the newcomer and was attempting to look concerned. He was wondering where their other passenger was as well so as to escort her ashore.

"Well Mr. Graves, I am not sure what your immediate plans would be, but if it fits your schedule, I would be honored to have you and your sister join me at the inn for a meal. The fare will make your sea-hardened stomach very happy to be on land. I would also be interested in hearing of your travels to arrive in these waters... and your... prospects.... or rather sailing plans for the future..." mediately have her hand seized by some man.

Her hazel greens were locked upon Read, curious with warning bells ringing in her head.

"My.. brother.. does not need to speak for me, Mr Read. But, since he is overwhelmed with duties for the time being... I would enjoy a fine meal at said place." Offering the man a smile that would send chilled up Lucifer's spine. Questions arose swiftly about Read and she'd find out about him... especially to find out if he was a threat. By all means... it was starting to sound that way.

Her eyes shifted soon enough to spot 2 fine Gentlemen. Not wishing to stare as it was horrible manners but she memorized their faces for she wanted to meet them.

Fanning herself because of the heat but thank God for the sea breeze as that was often her saving grace. Amazingly enough, she remained pale looking.. mostly cause she covered nearly every part of her body so as not to be kissed by the sun. A suntan - as she knows all too well - was for the lower, working class. She took great care to keep her milky white skin.

Those eyes again glanced about searching for a poster board of any sort... also she was awaiting the Harbormaster or some lacky. And all the while keeping her eyes open for the militia that would eventually be roaming about. Not that she feared them, she always enjoyed watching them, keeping them in her sights... fascinated by them... or so it appeared. With her.. one never knew. One would call her... mysterious... or even crazy.