Yaaarrrrr!!!! Me be lookin fer pirate fiction!&#33

I just recently read the Nautical Chart, and loved it. I have also read two other books by that same author, Queen of the South, and The Fencing Master. Both excellent, but not piratical.

On a more romantic (but not smarmy) note, and a classic, is Frenchman's Creek by Daphne Du Maurier. And yes, the Frenchman is a pirate.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

On a more romantic (but not smarmy) note, and a classic, is Frenchman's Creek by Daphne Du Maurier. And yes, the Frenchman is a pirate.

I read the book a couple summers ago, after seeing the PBS Masterpiece Theater version.

Liked it so much, I made two fan videos from the DVD:

The Bold Marauder

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=HwZ3h5AN1oo

Salty Pyrate Love

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=MwsFRt_dsvg

Apparently, there's also a 1944 film version (in colour yet!) with Basil Rathbone. I'd love to see it:

http://www.basilrathbone.net/films/frenchmanscreek/

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

I just bought a copy of:

"Silver", by Edward Chupack, It's the fictional life story of Long John Silver, of Treasure Island fame.

I've read two chapters so far, pretty good book .

It covers his beginnings as a pickpocket on the streets of Bristol, England , Taken to sea by Black John, Silver soon learns the arts of the sword, saber, and pistol. He makes his trade in plundering, cheating, ransacking, and murder--more murders than he can bother to count.

Silver writes his life story while on a ship as a captive by the British, being shipped back to Newgate Square in England to be hanged.

it covers areas from England to the east coast of America, from New England to the Carolina's.

You can see the book on Amazon books.

Wales Produced more Pirates per mile of coastline than any other European country.

Dafydd Meirion, author of "Welsh Pirates"

• 1 month later...

Well, scupper me hide...I should have known someone else would be recommending me own favorite pirate fiction, which is "The Pyrates", by George MacDonald Fraser. Me own copy is more tattered and torn than a fourth-hand treasure map. Raise a cheer for Col. Tom Blood, laddies!

And the late and much missed Mr. Fraser also wrote the Flashman series of books...19th century, to be sure, but still cracking good reads...

Ye can buy used copies of Howard Pyles Book of Pirates on Amazon.com too, ye just don't get the chance ta bid low. Amazon also serves as brokers for used book sellers.

Fer fun readin' I'd also recommend The Pyratesby George(?) Mcdonald Fraser.

And for a lighter read about traditional pirates in the modern world, try Pirates of Pensacola by Keith Thomson.

Damn, thats sharp!

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished a fantasy novel by Chris Bunch entitled "Corsair" which is a fine read but not great. The end is a bit rushed but it is worth a look.

I deeply enjoyed another fantasy pirate novel, the second in a series by Scott Lynch entitled Red Seas under Red Skies. This series follows a pair of fantasy rogues/ con men. A third will be out in early 2009.

Lastly a novel which I have not read but it has promise entitled "Mad Kestrel" about a female pirate in a fantasy setting.

• 2 weeks later...

David Cordingly author of "Under the Black Flag" International Standard Book Number # 0-15-600549-2

gives reference to these books,

Robert Ritchie book, "Captain Kidd and the War Against Pirates",

Marcus Rediker's "Between the Devil and the Deep BLue Sea"

"The Sack of Panama" by Peter Earle,

Nickolas Rodger's "The Wooden World"

please see Preface and Acknowledgements page "In Under the Black Flag", "The Romance and the Reality of Life Among The Pirates". Author David Cordingly

Harcourt Brace and Company publishers

"Your pieces of eight Ye Wager soon, I shall be sparkin' some Pirate art by the light of the Moon"

• 2 weeks later...

Perez-Reverte's has some other charming novels that while not 100% pirate are period. My fave and now movie is "Captain Alatriste" the first in a series. Well worth a read and it translate wonderfully.

While they are short (the longest is only 33 stanzas), there are several poems in Raising Black Flags: Original Poetry By and About Pirates, ISBN 978-0-615-25535-4, Blackbead Books, 2008, that are EXCELLENT tales of pirates, sea battles, treasure, salamungundi, mermaids, ghosts, privateers, and life and death on the High Seas! Here's part of one of them called "The Captain's Coat":

“Get aloft,” the captain shouted,

“There’s a prize to be taken out there!

Man your guns and prepare for a battle

Each survivor takes an equal share!”

I was sailing on the brig Adventure,

A nimbler square-rigger I’ve never seen

She was stiff, she was yar, she was weatherly,

And her lines were true and clean.

Her captain was a man named Griffin

Who was always ready for a fight

His hand was iron in discipline

But he treated us seadogs right.

He wore a long green gentleman’s coat

With a high collar and trim of gold

You could find him on deck with barely a glance

‘Cause he always wore it, whether hot or cold.

We bore down on the ship he had sighted

And the crew all gasped in surprise

For there before us, rising up out of the haze,

A Spanish galleon appeared before our eyes.

Tall as a mountain, three times our height,

And that was with her riding low,

And her sides were covered with gun ports:

Twelve on top and twelve below.

I was berthed as Griffin’s Master Gunner

And I knew what that broadside could mean

If the Dons knew how to use them

Their guns would sweep our deck clean.

Captain Griffin had always been a brawler

I knew what he intended to do

We’d run in and throw over our grappling hooks

And our boarders would o’erwhelm the crew.

Standing at me station, I trembled,

The sweat was a’crawling down me back.

The ‘Venture was running ahead of the wind

Approaching the Dons on their portside tack.

For the rest of the poem, and for other works by fourteen very different poets, search for the book by title at Amazon.com, on Barnes and Nole's website, on the Books-A-Million website AND at Blackbead Books (www.Blackbead-jewelry.com). The book goes for $11.95 at Blackbead's but the retailers are running specials for Christmas! Fair winds to ye all!

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

Pirates Magazine has an excellent ongoing serialized story written by myself and Honour Bright, another member of this board. The next issue will contain Chapter 4! :D

I must say I am really enjoying the story

Just started getting the mag. When I came to the end of the chapter I was "NOoooo!"

Didn't know it was only a chapter and not a whole story till the end.

Hats off to you both

I have get more back issues :)

Looking forward to the next issue

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

Thanks so much for the kind words, William! We're really excited to be working with Pirates Magazine. They've given up a wonderful opportunity and we're very appreciative of all they've done.

We're glad you're enjoying the story! And there's a lot more excitement to come! ;)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

I spent the weekend with the Pirates Magazine crew and we discussed the upcoming issues. Lots of exciting things planned!

I'm really enjoying the development of the characters. No Harlequin romance characters there--no heaving bosoms or gasps and sighs.

Just two flawed people trying to make it through life!

The characters.

Not Jack and me. ;)

Taking on the world....one pair of boots at a time!

A little bit of this...a little bit of that...a lot of dreams....

• 2 years later...

Y'no if you'd like a Modern pyrate book, I'd look into The Ganymeade Protocol. Just finished it for the second time and really love the thing. Pirate fleet that sails endlessly in the Gulf and Caribbean as a kind of floating nation in the near future. really nicely drawn.

• 1 year later...

Aye Mates!

A normally historically-accurate minded soul such as I am never thought he'd be makin this recommendation, but in all honestry, "The Price of Freedom" - the 400 or so page novel of young adult, 'lawful merchantman' Jack Sparrow, was one of the best fiction reads I can recall, especially in the pirate realm.

Yes, just like with the movies, you have to just go with certain dramatic conventions, but outside of that, it is very very accurate to the times and the trade - how many times do you hear of a traverse board in fiction? - and it is solid throughout. The very last bit, where the very-believable tale has to be wed to the beginning of the movie series is a bit much for me, but not anymore 'out there' than the movies themselves. Good story, good character development of Jack, good interplay of pirates among themselves and the lawful, good insight into the non-pirate culture of the times, a bit of mystery, good intro of characters we see later in the movies (Angelica and others), good sailing. Getting hard to find in stores, but on ebay or amazon for only a few quid most days.

yours, aye-

Just picked up Isle of Swords by Wayne Batson and I'm about halfway through it. So far, it's great! It's about an amnesiac boy picked ip by the stereotypical pirate crew, but it's non-stop action, and keeps you turning the page for more. What really drew me in was the woman who gave it only one star on Amazon. The reason?: "This is WAY too violent to be considered a children's book!" And that's what sold me on it. Thanks, lady!

Aye Mates!

A normally historically-accurate minded soul such as I am never thought he'd be makin this recommendation, but in all honestry, "The Price of Freedom" - the 400 or so page novel of young adult, 'lawful merchantman' Jack Sparrow, was one of the best fiction reads I can recall, especially in the pirate realm.

Yes, just like with the movies, you have to just go with certain dramatic conventions, but outside of that, it is very very accurate to the times and the trade - how many times do you hear of a traverse board in fiction? - and it is solid throughout. The very last bit, where the very-believable tale has to be wed to the beginning of the movie series is a bit much for me, but not anymore 'out there' than the movies themselves. Good story, good character development of Jack, good interplay of pirates among themselves and the lawful, good insight into the non-pirate culture of the times, a bit of mystery, good intro of characters we see later in the movies (Angelica and others), good sailing. Getting hard to find in stores, but on ebay or amazon for only a few quid most days.

yours, aye-

I'm about half done with this book and enjoy it very much. The tale links together many POTC themes and characters. Jack Sparrow is a slightly different than how he is portrayed in the films but still recognizable. If you are looking for fun and like the "history light" Disney approach the book is a good one!

I know this be an old posting but there are 2 books called Pirates of Savannah and Pirates of Savannah the hunt for Shamus booty by Tarrin Lupo that came out 1 and 2 years ago. My wife liked the first one and we are going to be getting the second one, both on Amazon

Will King

Kings Forge and Muzzleloading