Musket accuracy?

Gypsy Rose

;)

Thanks Josh! I figured you'd get a kick out of that! And I gotta admit, I do a mean impression of Alec Baldwin's Fat Controller. My kids actually listen to me when I do the Topham Hatt voice.

;)

Oh! Hey, I'm going to try to get some pics for you this weekend or next. Two events over two weekends, I should be able to come up with something! (And it's goes without saying that I wish you could join us.)

On topic, I'm looking at three illustrations of Tulle marine muskets -- 1697, 1716, and 1729-34 -- in The French Soldier in Colonial America. All have front sights.

(Sorry for going OT. Tried to PM ya but your box was full.)

There's always the email button. ;) But yeah, I should clean that pm box out someday.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

A little priming in the pan does wonders...

As for "musket accuracy", it's dependent on many factors, namely the size of the ball versus the diameter of the bore (I've had moderate accuracy with a Charleville using a .675 ball). Most British muskets bored for .75 used .69 caliber balls, so go figure...

Yours, Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

When I did live fire with my brown bess, I'd arrange cartridges in my box in order by descending caliber. The first shot or two with a large caliber ball isn't that difficult to ram home, but the more powder residue that builds up in that barrel, the tighter and tighter the fit. Hey, not that it mattered for me, I'm admittedly a crappy shot with my brown bess.

;)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

The Prussian drill regulations of 1750 specifically caution the officers to prevent the troops from looking away at the moment they pull the trigger ("flash flinch", if you will) and have some care about aiming.

Apparently, other period manuals give similar instructions (but I haven't seen them first hand yet).

Dances for nickels.

Aye Jessie...

I have very light scaring and some powder burns on my right cheek from days gone by...

No imbedded powder tho.... well, not yet.... :P

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

That leads to another question...is the flash on the right side of the stock, then? Would a left-hander be more, less, or equally likely to have trouble with this?

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear, and life stands explained." --Mark Twain

Right handers are pretty well protected by the flash being on the right side. A lefty using a right handed gun is in for an unpleasent experience. It can be VERY unpleasent if more than a normal amount of priming is used. I had a friend many years ago who was left handed, and successfully competed in target matches with a right handed gun. He used a minimal amount of priming, and kept his head as far back as possible when aiming.

>>>>> Cascabel

Also... the left hand being the hand of the Devil.... people were taught (if you were a lefty) to use your right hand.....

There were a few (very few) guns made for leftys..... but basicaly.... you just had to learn to fire it right handed......

(luckly I'm not that hoplessly left handed.... can fire, right handed.....)

And to add some...

The flashpan is on the right side, aye. And with another piece of 'reenactor safety equipment', the flash pan guard, it is relatively safe for whomever stands to your right. The guard helps deflect the primer flash as well as any jetting from the touch hole of the main charge upwards instead of out to the side...

Several years back at a reenactment I was unlucky enough to be beside a gent who had a very, very small flashguard and not only did I get a face full of his muskets' discharge, but on a seperate shot his flint shattered.. I had some small cuts on my cheek from that. He was about two feet away from me when that happened. had there been a full, proper sized flashguard, most all the fragments would have been deflected upwards. That may not seem better, but it would have been...

You southpaws have it tough, I do not envy you. Even though you can find some lefthanded muskets out there, they are not abundant, nor are they cheap... Do you best to learn to fire righthanded. Or, stick to pistols... :)

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Reason I asked was because I AM a lefty, so that information may come in very handy in the future. I've learned to shoot right-handed rifles left-handed, but I'll take warning with the flintlocks.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear, and life stands explained." --Mark Twain

Aye, ye be a southpaw...

Another trick... wear a cocked hat, as in single side of the brim cocked... for you, on the right side... thus the left side of the brim is down. If you wear it right... I can't explain it well, the brim shields yer face from the flash pan explosion. In a fashion... A wee bit o' experimentation will be needed....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif