Pirate Gunnery

capnwilliam

Thanks, Hawkyns. That's really interesting. I'll try and track those down. Unless you can recommend something as good or better.
undefined

Well, depends how much you want to spend. "De Pyrotechnica" is currently in print from Dover at about $20.00. I saw a copy of "The Sea Gunner" on a used book search last week for about $75.00. There's another commonly available one but it's a bit late, "A Treatise of Artillery" by John Muller, written in 1780. Museum Restoration Services out of Alexandria Bay, NY publishes that one in paperback for not too much. I've got most of mine from book searches and occasionally Ebay, but they price anywhere from $50-150. I've got a whole shelf on artillery and sea gunnery alone, 35 or so books. Then of course there's the 4 cannon in the garage.....

I need to go on the account just to feed this hobby!

Hawkyns

:huh:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

The most common 'heavy' guns on pirate ships would be 3, 4, and 6 pounders, all of the 'bastard' size. (shorter barrel than a landbased gun of the same calibre). Larger guns would require more deck space, recoil room, and crew than most pirate ships had. The larger guns are primarily shipkillers anyway, and designed to send your enemy to the bottom. NOT the sort of thing you want to do to all that lovely gold. Bar shot and chain shot are for dismasting and destroying the rigging. There are many variations on this but all serve the same purpose.

Swivels are indeed the pirate's friend. Ranging from 1/2 pounders up to 3 pounders, they would be arranged along the rail. On navy ships, they were also on the quarter deck rail, for defending against an enemy or a mutinous crew. Loaded with case shot (musket balls in disintegrating wood or tin cannisters), grape shot (large balls arranged around a wooden mandrel and held in place with canvas and line 'quilting'), or langrage (loose ball and whatever else dropped down the barrel), these weapons could make short work of sweeping a deck, especially if you had a height advantage.

Many people seem to focus on langrage, but, in reality, this was the least favourite round and was very much a load of last resort. If you had bronze guns, langrage of iron or glass or gravel or even sharp bronze would scrape the hell out of your bore and do serious damage to the gun. Every one of those gouges can hold a spark so that next time you load a round, it can go off in your hand. Even in iron guns, this could be an issue. The other issue is that loose loads would not neccesarily pack tight against the overpowder wad. Blackpowder has an interesting little quirk that if you have a gap between your powder and your load, the barrel will burst. This applies to hand weapons too, so be careful in loading your pistols and blunderbusses.

All of the Articles have a clause of one sort or another that you must keep your weapons in good shape and ready for use. This most especially applied to the gunner and his charges.

Hawkyns

:huh:

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I never heard of "langrage" before, but thank ye fer settin' the record straight on the alleged use of miscellaneous junk as shot, Hawkyns.

While I don't doubt that nails, screws, broken bits of glass, etc. would do the job if nothing else were available, I'm sure that's the ONLY time it would have been used.

:ph34r:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Aye,

I's awaitin' fer Master Gunner Hawkyns ta speak up...

'e taught me quite a bit 'bout cannons... been mighty proud ta man one o' his pieces when I gets th' chance... I still prefer "Voice" o'er his other fine guns...

Me hat's off ta ye, Cap'n o' the Gun...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Mornin' te ye Dorian

Always glad ta have ye on the crew.

There'll be few changes in my bairns over the winter. Morning Glory will get a new sledge, if the timbers will ever finish seasoning. 10x10's take a bloody long time. Voice will get either new or rebuilt wheels and new capsquires. Cricket, in addition to her 15th C carriage, will get a 3 truck Dutch carriage, like those on the Batavia. Then there's always new tools to be made. In between all this, I'm going to be rebuilding the carriage for one of the 4 pounders from the Providence. Busy winter ahead, I'd guess......

Hawkyns

:rolleyes:

rod_21.jpg

I be in the Connecticut Colony, in the town known as New Haven.

Hawkyns

:rolleyes:

rod_21.jpg

Aye Master Hawkyns,

Lord n' Lady! I'd call tha' a busy winter!

Hmm..... gonna make fer a fun spring/summer/fall!

Lotsa powder ta make go BOOM!

:ph34r:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org