The Davinci Code

Who's going to see it when it comes to theaters? I can't wait to see this, I love this type stuff. It has stirred up so much controversry. I'm pretty open-minded and who's to say it's either just fiction or indeed true. Nothing can really be proven if Jesus married Mary Magadelane (sp?). It's all here-say whether or not it happened. This should be a great and fun movie, I can't wait! :o

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to go see it. Actually, someone bought me the book for my birthday last year. For some reason wasn't into it and hadn't read it. BUT, when the Catholics started yelling boycott...I picked it up and read it in one sitting.

Now, I am going to see the movie.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Yeah, I have to say that the controversy is the best thing to happen to the book. I think it's actually pretty mediocre, in the way that every Dan Brown book I have ever read is pretty mediocre. The characters are essentially the same, the plot dynamics are essentially the same, he does half-a$$ed research and his interpretation - his interpretation! Oh, goodness. And I'm not even talking about the JC + MM thing. His claims on the origins of Jehovah, his claims about iambic pentameter as some sort of mystic divine male/female symbolism, and his claim that English is the lingua pura - a language free from the corrupting influence of Latin, I believe - is so patently ridiculous that I laughed outloud. English is free from Latinate influence? Dear lord! Try Swedish. Try Swahili, actually.

You want a 'secret historian' who will blow your mind, try Tim Powers. That cat writes circles around Dan Brown.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

The book was decent...heard it's predecessor (Angels and Demons?) is better.

I'll be seeing it the day it comes out. And...I went to one of the sites that'll be in the movie (in Scotland). Thought that was pretty neat, though visiting the place is much more exciting than seeing it on the big screen. :)

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Im going to go see it though I havent read the book. I did read angels and demons tohugh and enjoyed that.

Im not going to see the poesiden the. saw it the first time around maybe 75?

" Never knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that"

' Whatever is not nailed down is MINE. Whatever I can pry loose, is not nailed down."

I will admit that I have done well to avoid all the hype and had zero interest in any of it until my mother gave high recommendation to read it. I have never been one to believe that just because a book makes the "Best Seller" list means that it is actually worth its salt. (I can sight Authors that can be ran circles around by a 4th grader. LOL)

Never the less, good ol' mom gave me an idea as to what was involved in the plot and I was intregued. I am almost finished with Angels and Demons and shall be continueing on with The Da Vinci Code next. I cannot say that Brown is the best I have ever read...nor the worst and I have enjoyed Angels and Demons for the most part. ( It's the Illuminati angle that stirs my interests. )

As to seeing the movie...I will wait till it hits disc.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

I won't rush out opening day (never do), but do plan to see the movie. I enjoyed reading the book and have always been interested in such topics. I also like Ron Howard as a director so am looking forward to seeing how he handles Da Vinci Code. Although I appreciate Tom Hank's contributions to the movie industry, I am not a big fan of his. I do, however, find Sir Ian McKellan and Audrey Tautou to be superb actors. Hope there is great scenery and a good soundtrack to this movie, too!

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

As stated I will see the movie...but won't be seeing it opening weekend. I have no desire to be in a packed theater.

However I was at Tower Records yesterday and found U.S. News had a special edition out "Secrets of The Da Vinci Code...The Unauthorized Guide To The Bestselling Novel."

Good read and interesting as it gave the different sides to it. It starts out by giving a bit of the history of Constantine. (Early history of which I already knew about.)

The mag ends up with what it claims is the hoax of the Priory of Sion.

So it seems that, IMHO, it is a Faction...a combination of fact and fiction.

Those interested might pick up the mag before the movie opens.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

Yeah, I have to say that the controversy is the best thing to happen to the book. I think it's actually pretty mediocre, in the way that every Dan Brown book I have ever read is pretty mediocre.

Yeah, that was my impression. Even if you can overlook all the inaccuracies and leaps of faith (heh) in the storyline, you still wind up with a rather lame ending IMO. I doubt I'll bother to see this at all. (I also doubt I'll bother reading any other Dan Brown books.)

I'd like to see 'em make Crichton's _State of Fear_. (Bet that never happens...) While the research in that book is fascinating and the use of ideas is great, it suffers from the same problem that many of Crichton's books suffer from. The story needs some trimming and some more punchy editing to keep it moving along. It's the sort of task Hollywood is usually quite good at.

BTW, I think seeing something because the Catholic Church is against it is still basically being controlled by the Catholic Church - just in a negative way. Food for thought.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

odoriferous

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

NO am not seeing the movie because anyone being against it. :rolleyes:

I was curious as to why CC was against it...and since I already had the book, courtesy of a friend I decided to read it.. Now am interested in seeing the movie to see how they treat the subject.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

going to go see it, since I FINALLY read the book. The illustrated version is much better, but its still fiction for the most part to me. There is some truth to it, but there are too many holes in the story..

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

I liked the book. I liked Angels and Demons equally. I am (in theory at least) a Catholic. And this kind of thing really gets my goat...

In mostly Hindu India, the Catholic Bishops Conference demanded that the movie display a ``bold and lingering disclaimer'' to state that it's fiction - and got it.

That's sad...

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Since monks aren't allowed at the local cinema, I doubt I'll go see it. Nor have I read the book - I'm not a fan of Brown's writing technique.

But I might pick it up on DVD someday.

Realistically, if I want religious controversy, I just go over to my religion and spirituality forum and there's enough fur flying there to make an Angora jealous.

But hey - those who are about to view - I salute you!

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

I'll be waiting for the disc, but I almost always do wait for the disc these days. I'm in real stage-type theatres enough that I don't even like to go to the screen kind, unless it's a real special effects thing that the big screen really helps.

The controversy doesn't interest me in any way. It's fiction. I don't think anybody worked on this movie to change anyone's religion, but the Church is getting a bit too worked up over it. The last religiously-themed movie I saw that I really liked was "Dogma," if that tells you anything about me... :lol:

sig2.jpg

Religious controversy is essential. It tests one's faith. Untested faith is useless dogma.

All the hoopla over "The Da Vinci Code" is hilarious to me, because it is an obvious (even by the author's words) work of fiction. Any work that even pretends to explain the seminal years of Christianity without addressing the first 400 years of Christandom is fundamentaly off the tracks.

But, folks got all whipped up over "The Last Temptation of Christ" before they ever saw it, and the same with "The Passion of the Christ", even though they were both rooted firmly in scripture.

Untested faith is useless dogma. And my karma just ran over your dogma.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Religious controversy is essential. It tests one's faith. Untested faith is useless dogma.

...testing one's faith implies doubts, does it not?...

...and when that faith is tested, if it fails?...

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

I don't know why it would be so hard to believe Jesus was married. Marriage is a sacrament thru the church and thru God, his father. Jesus was sent to Earth to experience all that humans go thru, love included. So, sure, he could have been married, why not? There's nothing wrong with that. The really crazy religious freaks need to chill out.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

...testing one's faith implies doubts, does it not?...

...and when that faith is tested, if it fails?...

Testing one's faith requires one to face one's doubts.

If those doubts indeed bear bitter fruit, then one must deal with the outcome, and find a new path. Because, obviously, their previous path was false.

According to biblical scripture, Christ himself tested the faith of his disciples to their very limits, because he required true faith, not blind faith.

Religious controversy is essential.  It tests one's faith.  Untested faith is useless dogma.

All the hoopla over "The Da Vinci Code" is hilarious to me, because it is... a work of fiction.

I could say the same for The Bible. :rolleyes:

:)

ps - not meant to be an intention Troll... I question the essential "facts" that Christianity is based upon.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Religious controversy is essential.  It tests one's faith.  Untested faith is useless dogma.

All the hoopla over "The Da Vinci Code" is hilarious to me, because it is... a work of fiction.

I could say the same for The Bible. :rolleyes:

:)

ps - not meant to be an intention Troll... I question the essential "facts" that Christianity is based upon.

No worries, mate. I am Wiccan, after all. But no matter one's religion, religious belief is based upon a single foundation: faith. :) ;)

Goode gods... am I reading intelligent conversation, not arguments, about religion?

Damn... the world's coming to and end, just when it was getting interesting....

:lol:

On topic;

I read both A&D and TDC, enjoyed them both... did some research, opened my mind even further...

And wish more folks would do the same...

Not to start trouble, as I was raised RC, but why is it the Bible is the true word of god, yet all other holy books are 'works of myth and lore'?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org