How to "cock" a hat.

I am just about to undertake a new hat, and the particular style of cocked hat I am going to be going for will require some stiffening... Earlier in the thread a 2 part denatured alcohol to 1 part shelac mix was suggested (with the suggestion to play with ratios for varying results), and also the suggestion to use hair spray (which the poster wasn't sure if it would hold up to rain or not)...

Is there any other methods people have tried and had success with?

I'm leaning towards using the denatured alcohol/shellac, but would prefer something a little less harsh... if something exists and works that is less harsh. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, advice or help.

Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i used turpentine, linseed oil, and black oil based paint on one of mine. got it plenty stiff, but set the felt and it shrank when it dried. now i have a beautiful hat but it doesnt fit.

Hey Dutch, it sounds like you had similar results with the linseed oil and turpentine mix as Aminjiria had with his denatured alcohol and shellac... But your mix has the advantage of me not having to buy new ingredients... What kind of ratios did you use? And was the black oil paint just for colour? Or does the oil paint actually help with the structure?

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

Aye,

Excellent stuff on stiffening and weatherproofing hats.

Those folks having shrinkage issues (we're talkin' hats here, get yer mind outta th' gutter) You need a form to put your hat on while it dries, like a wig stand. The cheap way to do it would be find an old bowl that you can use. I metal one that you can bend since your noggin' ain't round but kinda oval, or any other bowl and build up parts of it to make it oval (like layers of tape or foam taped in place) That way while the hat dries on the stand or bowl, it can't shrink.

YMMV,

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

good point on the mold dorrian. definitely do that before it sets.

As to the mix. the original waterproofing calls for turpentine, linseed oil and pine tar in thirds. the pine tar is definitely an aquired smell. Remember how the Explorer (and I) smelled at the blackbeard festival instead of at Deltaville? She had just been oiled with this mix and its a bit strong for wearing on the head- even by my standards. I used the black paint because it matched my hat blank. The paint is actually what stiffened it, compared to other things i've used the pinetar mix on. Using the paint again, I think I would reduce it to maybe 1/8. Here is another trick. add a bit of bees wax, not parafin, to the mix. of course this means heating it when ever you want to use it, but it adds a wonderful texture and enables your projects to withstand a monsoon. I have a hat that was treated in just bees wax, linseed oil and turpentine and it holds up just fine. Just be mindful of open flames- ye get a wee bit nervous.

So, I've had a hat black for a little over a year doing nothing but catching dust. I'm gonna try to cock it, but I have a few questions.

1. It's got a 5" brim, currently. Hot much should I trim?

2. When steaming, how do I shape it? Hat pins? File clips?

3. How to I get the back edge to roll inward?

4. Do I weatherproof after steaming? Before stitching?

So, I've had a hat black for a little over a year doing nothing but catching dust. I'm gonna try to cock it, but I have a few questions.

1. It's got a 5" brim, currently. Hot much should I trim?

That depends on how high your wanted the turned up edges to be... Most that I have spoken to about it only trim the rough edge of the hat (~1/2"?)

2. When steaming, how do I shape it? Hat pins? File clips?

With your hands? AS you hold the hat over the steam, just bend and curve it to shape.... Hold it in place until it restiffens...

Someone else would likely be better able to answer this...

4. Do I weatherproof after steaming? Before stitching?

After steaming, and from what I have inferred from what others have done, after all edging, trimming and stitching has been done (which most seem to do before the steaming even).

Hope this helps.

Michael_banner.jpg

On all the hats I have ever made, the back edge rolls inward all on it's own after a while. I suppose you could help it along when you do the initial shaping if you wanted to. It may have something to do with my using a hat stretcher periodically on them when they shrink a bit.

>>>> Cascabel

I'm confused, are you referring to the back of the hat has a rolled brim? (aka Jack Sparrow style.)

Or more like a hem along the edge?

The naturally occuring roll is not as pronounced as the "Jack Sparrow" look. It's more of a gentle rolling forward of the rear part of the brim. I kinda like it. It gives the hat a well-used look.

>>>> Cascabel

• 2 weeks later...

How to crock a hat:

1. Ensure hat is as clean as possible.

2. Steam will be necessary for shaping, so bring a pot to a firm boil.

3. Use steam to shape hat to fit.

4. Once fit is obtained place in pot and slow cook for no more than two (2) hours.

5. Season to taste and serve either as a entrée or appetizer

Note- one should not crock hats until actual food provisions have been exhausted. :(

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

How to crock a hat:

1. Ensure hat is as clean as possible.

2. Steam will be necessary for shaping, so bring a pot to a firm boil.

3. Use steam to shape hat to fit.

4. Once fit is obtained place in pot and slow cook for no more than two (2) hours.

5. Season to taste and serve either as a entrée or appetizer

Note- one should not crock hats until actual food provisions have been exhausted. :o

Delicious. Next week on the Grey Dog food network - Parrots! friend or fowl.

I needed a different hat style for the St. Augustine Pirate Gathering...and I needed something quickly so I took the $18 hat I loan my son when he goes pirating with me.

hat001.jpg

and reworked it to this

hat002.jpg

It was very easy to hand shape......I stitched on either side of the fore peak......worked fine.

Now I have to find Patrick a new hat...lol

Am I the only one that came in here expecting smut? I gotta lay off the after dark show. :D
I don't expect smut ...I expect a a recipe ...I keep seeing "How to COOK a Hat" ...sort of like what Graydog gave us ...THAT is exactly what I was expecting.

Am I the only one that came in here expecting smut? I gotta lay off the after dark show. :D
I don't expect smut ...I expect a a recipe ...I keep seeing "How to COOK a Hat" ...sort of like what Graydog gave us ...THAT is exactly what I was expecting.

i was expectin a recipe for smut...?!?!?! :D

but i thiunk thats called ...ruhm

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Desert Dragoon Posted Dec 2 2008, 11:24 AM

ok... I'm still working with this felt. I didn't like how the first one worked out.. so I re-steamed it.

it's better but now I'm wondering how do I get the front to rise up.

I'm using this photo as a guideline

Hey- I know where you pirated those images from! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this is the place... But I want to make my own hat. What I would like to know, is if a stylish lady pirate would have had a silk covered tricorn like hat. I have heard some mention of such an accessory, and of course a lady may have had a silk covered straw hat to keep the sun from her eyes.. but a tricorn? I think it would be lovely, but would it be PC?

Thanks.. and if this is the wrong thread could someone guide my uncovered head to the correct place? Thanks!

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle