Arrrghh... what be this song?

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know any history about this song? I have heard quiet a yarn being weaved about this song and its lyrics, I have done a couple googles to find any proof to the pudding as they say yet this salty dog can not find what he be looking for with his spyglass named google.

Basically from what I have been told and have heard, that the song has gone though many lyric changes to be more politically correct over the years from lyrcis ranging from rape to mommies and daddies. But if anyone know the history or has insight on where to read or find some insight on it I would love to hear about it.

~Tora of Tortuga~

:lol:

• 2 months later...
Anyone know any history about this song? I have heard quiet a yarn being weaved about this song and its lyrics, I have done a couple googles to find any proof to the pudding as they say yet this salty dog can not find what he be looking for with his spyglass named google.

Basically from what I have been told and have heard, that the song has gone though many lyric changes to be more politically correct over the years from lyrcis ranging from rape to mommies and daddies. But if anyone know the history or has insight on where to read or find some insight on it I would love to hear about it.

~Tora of Tortuga~

:ph34r:

Aye, the same plight be encombered upon myself.

• 5 weeks later...

Actually, the song commonly associated witht he Pirates of the Carribean ride is called "The Derelict", and the words to it can be found here:

http://www.thepirateking.com/music/derelict.htm

Hope this helps,

The Pirate King

:lol:

http://www.ThePirateKing.com

Over 180 online biographies of Pirates, Privateers, Explorers, & Buccaneers, along with loads of historical information on Sailing, Shipwrecks & Nautical Archaeology

• 1 month later...

This tune was written for a stage prodution of Treasure Island in the early 1900's and seems to have a life of its own!

"Fifteen men on a dead mans chest" indeed.

The other tune " Yo Ho A pirates life for me" is a disney creation for the ride, I believe.

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

~Tora of Tortuga~

;)

Which song do you mean? If it's The Derelict then it was originaly a poem by Young E. Allison written in 1891 then later set to music for a muscial version of Treasure Island in 1901.

The original quatran "15 men on Dead Men's Chest Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum. Drink and the devil have done for the rest yo ho ho and a bottle of rum " is from Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island. This song is about a legend that Blackbeard marroned a numberf of men on Deadman's Chest Island ( now Dead chest Island of St. Peter Island in the Birtish Virgin Islands) with not but a pistol and a bottle of rum a piece. Stevenson purtpotenly heard this shanty whilst crusing the Caribbean.

If you mean Yo ho Yo ho a Pirate's Life for Me. It was composed by Gorge Burns (no not that Goerge Burns) and Xaiver Atencio in 1967 for the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland The Derelect influnced A Pirates life for Me

How come I know all this stuff? Well I can play both by heart on the fiddle and the band I'm in sings The Derelict and I announce it.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency