GAOP Encampment

Wow I love that painting...I'm going to have to look for a print. :lol:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not trying to beat a dead horse... really.

But I have looked, searched and hoped to find evidence of metal bound casks in "normal" sized containers. That is, in a size that could be used in and around a camp and not meant to store 300+ gallons of liquid.

I haven't found anything. If anyone else has.... I would love to see it.

Until then, here are a few wooden bound examples that I have found.

Cask-1673.jpg

Cask-Dusart-1685.jpg

Dusart 1685

Cask-Weigel-1700.jpgGerman Workers 1700

Cask-Loadingship-1700.jpg

Casks being loaded onto ship 1700

Cask-cooper-1700.jpg

German Cooper 1700

Cask-Beer%20Delivery1700.jpg

"The beer Carrier" 1700

Cask-Flanders1707.jpg

Flanders Camp 1707

Cask-Mieris-1718.jpgMieris 1718

Cask-Lowther-1734.jpg

Captain Lowthar 1734

F-Teach.jpg Black Beard 1730s

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Hey GoF,

Have you ever contacted Jamestown...I know they are a lot earlier, but the guys there, swear they had metal bound casks for smaller, heavier loads, such as nails. They also told me they had brass barrels for carrying gunpowder. I would love to know what those looked like and how far over they carried into the later part of the century.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

i have the book "the mayflower destiny" cyril l. marshall. printed in 1976. he was curator of technology and crafts at plimoth plantation in plymouth, mass. on page 171 under coopering it states that "iron hoops, with the exception of those fitted on the top and bottom of a cask to take the punishment when it was dropped, were not { common }until late in the 18th century".

• 1 year later...

Ahhh... the resurfacing of this topic.

Great picture that ye provided, Will. That's generally the idea I've had in mind.

Oh, and Sterling... ye be right about the copper.

The Odyssey Marine Salvage group (ones on "Treasure Quest" on the Discovery Channel and the ones who found the "Black Swan")... have discoverd the first HMS Victory (the one that sank in the Channel) and they did find a massive copper kettle for the ship's galley.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of pics of my 'tent' last weekend. Ingredients: spare main (lug) and jib sails from my boat, 2 short oars, some rope.

leanto1.jpg

leanto2.jpg

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

• 4 years later...

I remember this from years gone by; I wonder if he's ever used it again. It inspires me to go ahead and sew up a sail. Although I wonder if the bosun would be disposed to let perfectly good sails (which represent a lot of work) be used for tents. But even bolts of canvas would have to sewn together to make even as crude a tent as I put up.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

It's had a couple of outings, but I think those photos were taken at the last event that I didn't take my children to, so now when we authenti-camp we usually take a bigger (and proper) tent.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk