Admiral Vernon Grogtini

Cap'n Pete Straw

How to make an Admiral Vernon Grogtini.

Here is my recipe for a Grog Martini, folks. I claim authorship of this modern martini drink recipe as of today, although it is a modified resurrected recipe of the original 1740 orders how to mix Grog -- thus the drink bears Admiral Vernon's name. I am drinking my second one now as I type this (I had to be sure I could replicate the recipe, and this time measure the ingredients accurately... getting really woozy... Holy Crap, these are potent).

If someone else has created and published this exact same recipe previously(other than a reprint of Admiral Vernon's 1740 orders), please provide the specific print or internet reference so that I can credit them.

If you like martinis, write this one down -- these suckers are damned smooth and Whoo Boy, the second one is starting to kick in. DISCLAIMER: If you are under legal drinking age (in your respective state) DO NOT MAKE ONE OF THESE. And please remember: do not drink and drive... nor drink and pilot a ship.

Admiral Vernon Grogtini.:

Into a martini shaker, put several cubes of ice (duh). Add 1 teaspoon of sugar. Add 1 shot of rum (Cap'n Morgan's Original Spiced Rum), and 2 shots of water. Add 2 (or 3!) teaspoons of ReaLime Juice (if you have real limes, don't argue with me -- use them instead). Shake well. Strain into a martini glass with a twist of lime.

Enjoy.

Then thank me... Or toast me (and the late but very, very intelligent Admiral Vernon) in absentia. This is one quite refreshing martini, let me tell you. Pass this one on, or tell your bartender how to mix one for you, because I think the World should know.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Before you think I cannot hold my liquor...

I wrote down the specific proportioned recipe according to what I was mixing, but my actual drinks were more than 1.75 times the quantity listed. So I have actually had about four of these suckers, not two.

I think I caught my spelling errors, but I need to get off the computer now... whoah..

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

You absolutely have my permission to pass this recipe along to any (of legal drinking age!) whom you think might enjoy it. If the recipe is copied in print, I would appreciate credit for it... if it is modified, give me only whatever credit is possible under the circumstances ("after a recipe by... etc.").

BUT - the real credit is due to Admiral Vernon... If you are modifying the recipe for your specific purposes, I would be amiss without repeating here the reference for the "original" recipe. Notice that my recipe calls for a martini shaker, as I do not have a "scuttled butt" among my kitchen wares. So, above everything else, Vernon should get credit.

But -- have you tried mixing one up according to my recipe? Really, you must try one. And, this morning -- absolutely no ill effects whatsoever. Perhaps the good Admiral was wise beyond his years.

The origin of Grog and Vernon's Orders

Grog is essentially a diluted rum mixture, with two parts water and one part Rum. The word "grog" was derived from the nickname for Admiral Vernon who was nicknamed "Old Grogram" based on the waterproof grogram cloak he wore on ships. He first ordered this rum dilution process that yielded grog to be carried out in 1740. This command was called "Vernon's Orders" and it also encouraged the addition of sugar and limes to the grog mixture.

Prior to 1740, rum was issued to the men neat or in "drams" - without water. Admiral Vernon (the

hero of Portobello and the West Indies Commander-in-Chief) changed all this by his issuance of his infamous "Order to Captains No. 349" on 21 August 1740. His order refers to the "...unanimous opinion of both Captains and Surgeons that the pernicious custom of the seaman drinking their allowance of rum in drams, and often at once, is attended with many fatal effects to their morals as well as their health ... besides the ill consequences of stupifying their rational qualities ... You are hereby required and directed ... that the respective daily allowance ... be every day mixed with the proportion of a quart of water to a half pint of rum, to be mixed in a scuttled butt kept for that purpose, and to be done upon the deck, and in the presence of the Lieutenant of the Watch who is to take particular care to see that the men are not defrauded in having their full allowance of rum... and let those that are good husbanders receive extra lime juice and sugar that it be made more palatable to them."

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

DISCLAIMER: If you are under legal drinking age (in your respective state) DO NOT MAKE ONE OF THESE. And please remember: do not drink and drive... nor drink and pilot a ship.

Aye, but drink n' board we figures that were okay

THIS CABIN-LAD'S GROWN HAGGARD, SO IN THE POT HE GOES AND FROM HIS SKIN WE'LL MAKE A LITTLE DRUM TO BEAT AS WE FIRE HUMAN HEADS FROM CANNONS AT OUR FOES. AND SET THE SEAS ABLAZE WITH BURNING RUM.

As a fan of the gin martini (with dbl olives, please) I can't wait to try this. :lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Show of hands -- who has tried this? Anyone? Anyone? I am quite interested to hear feedback on this recipe. These are smoooth...

...In fact, as I finish this Guinness, I think I will mix meself up a Grogtini!

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 1 month later...

Over a month has passed, and no one has 'fessed up to trying one of these. No one at all?

Or are ye all so freaking pissed off yer arse on Grogtinis that ye cannot drag yerself over to the keyboard?

Fool's Gold Crew: I am so terribly mad at myself -- when we all sat down at the bar in Port Washington, I was so excited that they had Guinness on tap, that I forgot my own plan -- and that was to teach the bartender how to mix Grogtinis and buy all of us a round. Next time.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Tis ok, Pete. Someday. We have lots in mind but never got to it. Perhaps next year we will be able to do a lot more. ;)

~Lady B

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 2 weeks later...

Posted this in another thread, but it really belongs here...

I taught a local bartender how to make Grogtinis. Since then, she has served them to patrons seeking "something refreshing" and has received quite favorable reviews.

Now she refuses to charge me for the drink whenever I come in (although she placed a limit on 2 free drinks per visit) as fair exchange for the recipe. Guess where I do all my drinking?

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 2 months later...

This is a yummy drink! I don't normally enjoy rum, but I could have a couple of these, that's for sure.

That said, I have a bit of a problem. Your proportions are screwy.

First you write:

Grog is essentially a diluted rum mixture, with two parts water and one part Rum.

Then, in the same paragraph, you quote Vernon's Order 349:

You are hereby required and directed ... that the respective daily allowance ... be every day mixed with the proportion of a quart of water to a half pint of rum

Maybe my English measurements are off, but a 2:1 ratio of water:rum would be 1pint:0.5pint. Have you forgotten that there are two pints to the quart?

Your recipe should specify a 4:1 ratio of water:rum, if you wish to accurately replicate Vernon's recipe, the proportions of lime juice and sugar notwithstanding.

Try it that way and let us know how it turns out. I bet we could drink a LOT more of it and have more fun!

Stand and deliver!

Robert Fairfax, Freelance Rapscallion

Highwaymen.gif

Nope. I stand by my recipe. Please let me clarify...

Someone else pointed out the same thing earlier, and you are correct. Please understand: I have modified, not replicated, Vernon's recipe. I have come up with what I personally believe is a superior tasting rum martini inspired by an authetic nautical drink, NOT a drink which approximates the original authentic weak recipe itself. My goal was perfecting a martini, not trying to re-create what is already recorded in history (thus my strong insistence that you use Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum and not, for instance, Bacardi)

My Grogtini is NOT authetic "grog," nor do I claim it to be. Served chilled shaken over ice, I claim that it is an excellent and refreshing drink. Besides, after two or three of these, you really begin to feel like sacking and pillaging. Or taking a nap.

Yes: if you follow Vernon's recipe closely, you can drink twice as many before getting sloshed -- I fully agree with you. But I started with those proportions and was entirely unhappy with the taste ("Why is all the rum gone?"). My report? Not as good. Level of fun to be had? Well, that's entirely up to you. :D

My suggestion: YOU try it both ways. If you like it my way, great. If you like it weaker (not everyone like strong drinks), then that's AOK. I do NOT like the weaker recipe, and I confess I have not even tried white Bacardi rum (which is probably more authentic than with Morgan Spiced Rum).

I originally started this whole thing by trying to find a non-alcoholic version that tasted like "real" grog. But then I hit on my proportions, and was so happy with that drink, that my original research stopped.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for pointing that out. I knew you had modified the original, but I must have misread something somewhere, as I could have sworn you said you hadn't played with the proportions.

My bust!

As for my preference, I'll take the weaker of the two at events. More historical experience before total inebriation = a longer time having fun. :lol: At home or down pub, the stronger, of course.

Captain Straw's Grog, if you please, shaken not stirred...

Stand and deliver!

Robert Fairfax, Freelance Rapscallion

Highwaymen.gif

Kass, I mixed up a triple bacth in the martini shaker... starting my second. Right about now, I'll believe anything anybody says...

I wonder how the justacorps will turn out if I only sew it while drinking Grogtinis?

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

My personal Grogtini recipe (posted earlier) is mighty fine indeed with 1 part of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum to 3 parts Captain Morgan's Tattoo Rum (easy ratio if based on 4 shots rum) with other proportions according to the recipe.

Mighty fine indeed.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I came across a delicious pirate-themed cocktail recipe lately. It's very potent, has a strong chocolate flavour, and is perfect served with dessert :

Captain Kidd Cocktail:

1 part cognac

1 part dark rum

2 parts dark creme de cacao

Shake in a cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into a champagne saucer (or wine glass).

Garnish with an orange slice and/or maraschino cherries (or a chocolate-covered cherry or dark chocolate truffle on a sword-shaped skewer, if you want to be even more decadent).

[Oh, "Be even more decadent" -- terrific, now I have another item for my New Year's resolutions list!]

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg