Where DID Pyrates keep their weapons?

Patrick Hand

Blackjohn, A quick question on the Whydah.... In the book, it shows some of the drawings of the artifacts, do you know of a better source showing the artifacts? an archological catalog or such? (welll short of going and seeing them in person....)

There was an archaeologist's report complete with technical sketches of artifacts. I have never seen a copy, but I have been fortunate to receive an occasional drawing. The last time I tried tracking down a copy I believe I located one at the USACE in Boston.

I have a brilliant idea... time to write an email.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

A brilliant idea?

Not a cunning plan?

Sorry, that would be Baldric... :huh:

My apologies for the OT silliness, but BlackJohn, since you have Blackadder as an avitar, I couldn't resist...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

OK.... I can't see how anyone could make any money selling copys of an archaeologist's reports, But there are some of us that would really like to get our hands on one....

OK... they have spent the time and effort to record all the artifacts, and from all the different angles..... Dang ... a reenactors ... dream......

I just wish that copys were avalible.........

A brilliant idea?

Not a cunning plan?

Sorry, that would be Baldric... :rolleyes:

My apologies for the OT silliness, but BlackJohn, since you have Blackadder as an avitar, I couldn't resist...

No apologies necessary!

Private Baldrick: I have a plan, sir.

Captain Blackadder: Really Baldrick? A cunning and subtle one?

Private Baldrick: Yes, sir.

Captain Blackadder: As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?

Private Baldrick: Yes, sir.

[another call: "On the signal, Company will advance"]

Captain Blackadder: Well, I'm afraid it's too late. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of here by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?

My Home on the Web

OK.... I can't see how anyone could make any money selling copys of an archaeologist's reports, But there are some of us that would really like to get our hands on one....

OK... they have spent the time and effort to record all the artifacts, and from all the different angles..... Dang ... a reenactors ... dream......

I just wish that copys were avalible.........

As I understand, they are working on something they think will have more mass market appeal. But don't quote me on that, it is just what I've heard in the past.

My Home on the Web

• 1 month later...

I just found on page 46 of " Piracy, Days of long ago" by Kenneth W. Mulder a drawing of a barrel filled with swords and boarding axes. The article dosen't explain if this is for personal storage or perhaps extra weapons to disperse in time of need. It would make sense to have these barrels located at stratigic points on the the deck, but then if you were boarded, your handing weapons to the enemy.

I shoot down more of my own arguments!

• 1 month later...

a boy dressed as a pirate walks into a store:

the lady behind the counter says: "My you look ferocious, where are your buccaneers"?

The kid looks at her and says:" Under my bucking hat lady"

Sorry...... no really...... ok......... maybe just a little...... naw, not really :lol:

Bartholomew Roberts-

"To keep their Piece, Pistols, and Cutlash clean, and fit for Service"

Phillips-

"That Man that shall snap his Arms, or smoak Tobacco in the Hold, without a cap to his Pipe, or carry a Candle lighted without a Lanthorn, shall suffer the same Punishment as in the former Article."

"That Man that shall not keep his Arms clean, fit for an Engagement, or neglect his Business, shall be cut off from his Share, and suffer such other Punishment as the Captain and the Company shall think fit."

Most of the first hand stories in "Captured by Pirates" shows pirate crews continually armed (either with sword or pistol, or both). Perhaps this was due to fact that the captors feared a revolt (by captives or pressed men). Haven't seen anything yet referring to an arms chest...

John Fillmore wrote about his capture of nine months by pirates under John Phillips in 1724. In short, Fillmore and his crew caught the pirates off guard (some drunk and passed out) and effected an escape after using an axe to dispatch several.

Yours, Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Merchant captain William Snelgrave was betrayed by several crewmen wishing to enter service into piracy- "Then I asked them the reason why the chest of arms was put out of the place where it usually stood at the steerage..." (Captured by Pirates, Stephens, 141).

Yours, Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

So far all we have is the Whydah showing us no true concentration of arms stored away in mass, and that the pirate weapons were more personal weapons. I have a feeling that they were stored either in their personal effects (for pistols and ect), and anywhere they thought was safe and easy to get at (for swords and muskets).

One thing that sticks out in my mind, is "how much did pirates trust each other?" I would think if crews trusted one another a lot, the locations of weaponry would not be so "hidden" for safety. Another thing I think about is that, being a Civil War reenactor, A lot of the time during the day, we have our arms in a stack (for those who don't know what "stack" means, its when you put the guns together to form a sort of tripod). During the night, we don't have stacks, but rather have them next to us in our tent. Civil War soldiers were as possesive of thier weapons as pirates were. So, for our pirates, why not something like "during the day the arms are kept together in easily accessable areas (maybe with men guarding them depending on trust in the crew), with every man knowing which spot (or what place in the rack) he put his weapon, and at night weapons were kept by the sleeping quarters"? When did the Whydah crash anyways, at night? That could explain why the weapons were not grouped together. I think this idea could be plausible, but I have no research to back it up.

• 2 weeks later...

refering to a comment from capt. bo back in the beginning of this thread... about the hammocks. in 1974 i visited puerto rico, i was 17 and just graduated high school in NYC. i was there to learn more about family history, etc. i am a half-breed and i wasnt met by all with friendliness. my family there is like a tribe. because of my martial arts background, an uncle took an interest in me and started sharing much history. he was the machete-fighting champion of my family's town in his younger day (1930's). he took me on a friend's tour/fishing boat. there were hammocks underneath where some of the crew slept during the week that they worked. their tools, knives and some fishing gear was kept in their hammocks. during the day they were not taken down, they were pulled up towards the ceiling. every man knew his hammock and belongings. these men lived like pyrates and this has always been what i invisioned as where our ancestors may have kept their weaponry. i know i have no proof as to where pyrates kept anything, but this just seemed like a good place for their things, it was their only true private space on the ship. ...now if i ever figure out a way to travel back in time and speak to my great great grand uncle, juan de Dios sierra, actual pyrate of our family, i'll ask him!

...up close and personal means one of two things:

You are either waking up with me in the morn or I am the last face you will ever see...</span>

In His/Her Majesty's Navy Weapons were stored in locked chests with sailors knives and officers personal weapons excepted. They also rolled up their hammock and stored them on deck.

Pirates We have no firm evidence but we do know they were not only responsible for suppling but also maintaining their own weapons. They would have used hammocks and may have brought them on deck (as it does serve as a splinter shield ) but I have not read anything that suggests this "yet". The Whydah wreck did not have any great concentration's of arms. First hand accounts seem to indicate pirates went about constantly armed yet it is hard to imagine some one lugging a hanger, blunderbuss, or a brace of pistols into the main top. Also I have read and it stands to reason that pirate vessels were if not over manned then well manned.

That is to me a pretty fair summary of the thread thus far (please make any notes and or corrections you see fit.) From this I'd offer the following guess,

Pirates who were not directly involved in the operation of the vessel would have kept their weapons about them as the next chase may be just over the horizon. (and besides you still owe so and so 10 real's you ain't got.) Pirates actually working in the rigging or at the helm having their weapons stored either near at hand or down below. Again just a guess but I think a good one. Anybody disagree and or spot a flaw in it as an argument. (Note I am not saying this is how it was just offering it up as an argument.)

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

It's always been my belief that pirate crews were more civilized and got along better than we tend to think today. For that reason, I believe that many pirates probably just kept their weapons stored with their personal effects below decks. In addition, I'm quite sure that there would have been a catch-all "tool shed" on any pirate ship, containing left-over axes, hatchets, well-used cutlasses, pikes, etc...anything that those without personal weapons could grab in a fight.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

It's always been my belief that pirate crews were more civilized and got along better than we tend to think today. For that reason, I believe that many pirates probably just kept their weapons stored with their personal effects below decks. In addition, I'm quite sure that there would have been a catch-all "tool shed" on any pirate ship, containing left-over axes, hatchets, well-used cutlasses, pikes, etc...anything that those without personal weapons could grab in a fight.

I think that due to no other evidence suggests otherwise, I think I will agree with that statement.

• 4 weeks later...