A rather shocking surprise this morning!

Rumba Rue

This morning we had a bit of a surprise here in Escondido. We don't get thunder and lightning very often, so keep that in mind.

I woke up just before 5 this morning, so I decided to go and sit out on my patio. As I opened the door there were a brillant flash of lightening about a half a mile away in front of me. So I sat down in a chair to enjoy the show, then I saw the clouds coming down very low, I mean LOW around the apartment complex and then this whopping flash of lightening just a tad over-head and right in front of my face! It was so close I could feel the electricity from the forks.

Well I quickly decided to exit stage left and as I was entering the living room this enormus crack of thunder went off, enough to make me jump as I quickly closed the door.

The cats just ran under the bed, but that crack of thunder shook the whole building! There was another flash of lightning and another roll of thunder as I sat on the couch realizing how close I had come to being electricuted a less than a minute ago. Whoa!

That was all the thunder and lightning we had.

I've been back in the mid-west in thunder and lightning and it feels like the whole friggin' house was coming down. Geesh....

you were quite lucky! i'm glad you're still with us to talk about it! B)

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

I'm damn lucky, I've got a tomatoe plant right near the edge of the balcony with a metal wire cage around it. If it had hit that metal, it would have travled to the metal stand it's on and right to me as my knee was against it!

I didn't realize it until I had gone back to bed that my hair was sort of standing on end. B)

According to the news one of the historcial houses here in Escondido was hit by lightning. That had to have been the third and final lightning strike. Showed some of the roof sort of messed and twisted up.

The first one was in front of me about 1/2 mile away, the second one was right over-head in front of my face and the third one was to the west of me in the direction of the historical homes so that would make sense.

Yep... those proximity charges can be rather painful too! If you have silver or gold fill in yer teeth you'll taste it after being struck. Mid-west is thunderstorm breeding grounds, and I've survived six tornadoes, too many windstorms, floods, etc. Once while re-wiring the pump system for the pool at a Girl Scout camp by the lake, a storm came up very fast and black& low. I went out of the pump house to roll up my windows, turned around to run back inside, took three long strides when the pole beside my truck turnde to splinters. Iwas blinded and knocked to my knees, and couldn't move for what seemed like several miutes. That's how I know about the taste! I've been shocked many times in my 22yrs. as an Electrician, but that was the worst!

Capt. Bo

When I was a child I used to get shocked by the electric fence around the cow pasture. Bzzzzzzzzz! :lol:

Glad yer fine, Rumba!

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

It's a Sign: Change your wicked ways. :lol:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

last year coming home from a faire I was driving into the teeth of a storm so big the white clouds were swirling and we watched miles ahead of us an all out electrical parade of bolts and light flashes as wide as cars and as we continued heading into it we realized we were no match for its power as cars were pulled over to the side, I just kept on barreling through it and one bolt as big as a bus cracked down on the freeway between us and the sloping green belt to the side and lit the entire area and I swear it was like (and so loud) being in the middle of an atomic explosion. The radio went off and the lights flickerd and away and gone we got through. Really scary though glad we were spared the grief of any emergency services.

Touch somebody you don't know today with a smile.

It's a Sign: Change your wicked ways.  :lol:

You go first...

That reminds me of that scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where they're peering down into the Well of Souls and Indy says,

"Snakes...why'd it have to be snakes?"

And Sallah replies,

"Asps! Very dangerous. You go first."

Besides, lighting didn't almost strike me... :lol:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Tis a very lucky break for ya, Rumba. Very lucky!

Mother nature is a wild one.

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

rumba you were lucky Im glad God missed ye! which reminds me of Lee Trevino the golfing legend known as Supermex he was interviewed walking back to the club house in a tournyment where it was called on account of lightening and he was walking right down the middle of the fairway holding a club high over his head like a lightening rod and was asked why he was doing that and he said "even God can't hit a 3 iron" B)

Touch somebody you don't know today with a smile.