Baldric and ear rings.

Well here is my delima, I realize that ear rings aren't really historically accurate but I already have 14Gauge rings in y ears and have to keep them in so they don't close up. Since the modern rings I have in don't exactly match my garb, what would be the closest thing to accurate I could use, and where would I find such? Second, I am looking for a nice baldric for my garb, but at the moment I have a bit of a budget constraint and need one for under $100. Does anyone know where I might find one. I have checked Ebay, but am weary of the quality of products listed.

GageSig.png

You can try Museum Replicas, Ltd. They have a few, but for some reason on the website right now, they are only listing left-handed baldrics, even though they show both.

MRL baldrics and belts.

They are in line with your budget, and they're not bad stuff. I've got one in black, and the leather isn't necessarily top-notch, but useful.

You could also try By The Sword, which has the exact same product that MRL does, plus a few others...

By The Sword baldrics

sig2.jpg

Baldrics

Or you can do what a few of us did...make one...I got some great looking leather belts at a very nice clearance price ($2.00 apiece) and had them and my frogg joined at the local shoe repair shop for $20.00 to have the job done.

Just finished checking the period pieces and mine would meld right in. :lol:

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Hmm....

Baldrics... I can't add anything that hasn't already been said...

Earings... The plainer, the better, I say... something like some nice silver of gold hoops no bigger than the size of a dime in diameter... you can go a wee bit fancy too... I believe some pre GAoP pearl drop earings would do as well....

Period or not, I too have me ears punctured... thrice per side...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Baldrics!! No!..................Not the "B" Word!

As Dorian has pointed out, this topic has been done to death in several other threads in the pub.

However if you are serious enough about authenticity to be concerned about the accuracy of your ear rings, you should be aware that the consensus of opinion is that Baldrics had fallen out of use by the Golden Age of Piracy. you would be better off investing in a good swordbelt.

As for ear rings, I think that not wanting your piercings to close up is a legitimate excuse.

If I were in your shoes I would go for a small gold hoop. it would be fairly unobtrusive, whilst conforming to image that people have of pirates.

If Germany is not too far for you, please ask me for what you need. Gladly I serve you with any swordbelts, baldrics and hangers, sewn or rivited (all handcrafted by my own, as period as requested.

Term of trade: I never sell anything! Just expenses, then trading against anything else, but not money.

Fair winds,

Jack

Any good places to get a sword belt?

GoF

I get my belts from Jekyl the Hidesmith. Excellent quality and he guarantees his work. I have the double wrap from my sword. He does custom work as well, so anything you can imagine or know historical he can replicate.

http://jekylthehidesmith.com/

- Sir H.

"Land only holds promise if men at sea have the courage to fight for it."

- Sir Henry

• 3 weeks later...

Blackhand, have any pics of completed baldrics?

I am kinda hung up on the buckle but if if someone has links to GAoP era buckles for baldrics I would love to get a nice buckle for a baldric to be custom made.

Also I have the ability to do some small sandcasting in aluminum or brass at my work. Im sculpting a couple small pieces for myself to be use on some other projects and garb (different period then GAoP). I am thinking about offering this as a small side service but need to work out details first and then ill post more about it a new thread sometime in the next week or so.

~Tora of Tortuga~

:lol:

I got my balderic from www.ravenswoodleather.com, but I also got a few toys with it, but hey have nice ones and they have a great return policy, if it breaks or malfunctions, return it, they replace it free of charge. Plus Reg is the best in my opinion, you give him an idea of what you are looking for and he can do it. So yeah, check him out.

Capt McKasson

Any good places to get a sword belt?

GoF

I get my belts from Jekyl the Hidesmith. Excellent quality and he guarantees his work. I have the double wrap from my sword. He does custom work as well, so anything you can imagine or know historical he can replicate.

http://jekylthehidesmith.com/

- Sir H.

Their broad belt looks nice, too.

The photo makes it look as though the double-wrap belt holds the sword pointing straight down. Does it? :lol:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

• 1 month later...

Actually ears WERE pierced depending on crossing the Equator. A gold hoop in the right for the first, and one in the left for the second crossing. This of course could only be done for a sailor that had the means to make the investment, and was not indentured or impressed into service without personal belongings in tow. Any outstanding debts, either civil or domestic would be settled with the pawn of those gold rings, from the deceased. Though not the norn, it was widespread. Many merchant sailors, when coming in contact with native islanders where also tattooed in the fashion of the natives. Again it was not stereotypically the norm, but was common. Historically this has been documented in the Royal Navy and not just with privateers. The Bounty is a classic example.

Beane