The Pyrates Way

I've been approached by an interested party of investors to start our own pyrate magazine, and have taken them up on their offer. Since I've had several quality and organizational disaggreements with the now-stalled Pirates Magazine, I have resigned my position. My reputation as an artist is an important part of my business and I can't lend my name to something I'm not proud of. Thus, I am taking on this new magazine (that will debut in the Fall) without my hands tied in both design and 'feel' of the project

This magazine, The Pyrates Way, will be about Pyrates and written BY Pyrates! It will be much more of a pirate enthusiast/reenactor magazine with a much more bawdy touch to it. It will be a "PG-13" magazine filled with fearsome pyrates and beautiful wenches. The magazine will not be for the timid, as pyracy has no "politically correct" code.

Advertisers are lining up and the printer is standing by. The legal issues are being taken care of and we have already set up our international ISSN and are in the midst of incorporation. This is the pyrate magazine is what everyone wants to see and be a part of.

I'm open to all suggestions and if you have a pyrate story, interview, article (fact or fiction), photos from a pyrate event, even a pyrate joke. . . feel free to send it to me at: editor@pyratesway.com. This magazine is for the pyrates and I need your help to make it successful. . . afterall, it's about YOU!

The cost of subscriptions and advertising is about 60% of Pirates Magazine and will be 96 pages of full-color and offer an interactive version of each issue on the web. The magazine will be quarterly and in each magazine will be booty. . . whether it be a promotional CD of music from pyratical bands or a bumper sticker or pyrate flag.

The website will give you a head's up as to what's coming in the next issue, without spoiling too much of the storyline.

Stay tuned, and bookmark: www.pyratesway.com

Again, thank you to all the helpful pyrates who've supported this new venture already (we have 10% of the adspace filled already!. . . it's exciting!) This Pyracy site is SO inspirational to we pyrates and will be our main "go to" area for folks interested in this hobby.

Steve "the black fox" Kimball

The Pyrates Way

Well, I think I'm going to ride this one out for now - they have my check already, although I'm not certain whether it's been deposited yet.

I don't know much about the creators of this magazine, nor their current or former associates. I don't see a reason to bail my subscription at the first sign of trouble. And if it all turns out for carp, I just won't renew. Besides, even if the worst should occur, watching an occasional shipwreck can be entertaining :lol:

Black Fox, I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store as well - best of luck, and keep us posted!

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Wow... we have gone from one glossy pirate mag to two in just 30 days!

I wish luck to both parties, and will be checking out my news stand for the premier issue.

For those folks that just cant wait, try No Quarter Given. Its simple but its nice to get in the mail.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

BlackFox, what are you paying for articles?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

When should we be expecting the first issue?

I am still kinda hanging around and saving me doubloons for the right moment...

"A merry life and a short one be my motto"

Avid the PA ren faire, or live nearby? We're trying to start a club/group to do some fun things outside of the faire! www.countyerdoubloons.com/tavern

Unfortunately, I can't wait around for someone to cash my check. I'm on a strict regime for my money and gawd, if the check were to be cashed at some month way in the future, it might be bad. Can't afford that, so I cancelled my check and will wait and see what transpires.

Sorry, but that's the way the dollar crumbles with me.

here's what the facts are (you can check 'em for yourself).

I wrote 29 pages of website info including lynks, pyratespeak, and info about what the magazine was "supposed" to be. . . if you hit the site now, you'll see about 5 pages of stuff, most of it (in my ONLY opinion) not very pyratical, but pretty ocean pictures.

On the transverse, if you hit our "www.pyratesway.com" site, you see ONE page.

Yep, I'm spending the weekend designing the site (Hell, I've been at it all week) and I'll give you all the pages necessary to keep the pyratical interest. I am working my pyrate butt off to give you folks what you deserve. . . and I hope that it adds to THIS site. . not duplicates it.

I have tons of respect for pyracy.com and would never, ever seek to superimpose it in any way. The plan is to give this site as a reference for most folks' pyratical needs. For one thing, it's only right to give credit to the folks on this site that have added so much to the pyrate enthusiast legacy, and the other is to recognize a real AUTHORITY in the pyrate community.

I've written to the owners of this very site to ask for 1) their blessing and 2) a cry for help! Hell, you folks know pyracy back and forth and I'd be an idiot not to ask for your help in our magazine's development.

I've set up our own proboard at: http://piratesway.proboards98.com in the hopes that you folks will join us in our mutual endeavour.

What we need most in the world is photos of pyrate feasts in the southern Atlantic coast, the Gulf, and the West coast. I don't want this to become a "Chesapeake Bay" publication, but frankly, that's all I've got right now.

If you took some incredible pics in FL or WA and want to share.. .let me know! Let's make this a National Pyrate endeavour!

Begging, but not to proud to do so,

Steve "the black fox" kimball

why do I see this as being nothing more than a pirate themed "Maxim" magazine?

I think I'll probably wait until I see a real magazine on the newstand racks before I do anything.

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

I contacted Pirates Magazine about this issue.

Pirates Magazine is made by the same publisher as Faerie Magazine.

It is still being made but they are struggling to right themselves after the actions of the person who started this thread. He did not leave the publication but was fired for copyright infrigement.

If you have concerns about your subscription I would urge you to contact them first hand.

HEHE, I think the copyright issues were over the links page of NQG being outright copied by the black fox and used on the PM website.

Make sure you get both sides of a story before jump on a bandwagon.

Before you subscribe to ANY new magazine you may want to wait and see if it is really going to exist.

This new magazine, Pyrates Way, you may want to check some background of it's owner before you send them your money also. This could be just another fly by night idea like Pirates4Patriots (done by the same person) that was selling tickets with a NO REFUND policy and then just up and cancelled.

Just my 4.05 cents

Pirates Magazine is made by the same publisher as Faerie Magazine.

It is still being made but they are struggling to right themselves after the actions of the person who started this thread. He did not leave the publication but was fired for copyright infrigement.

If you have concerns about your subscription I would urge you to contact them first hand.

HEHE, I think the copyright issues were over the links page of NQG being outright copied by the black fox and used on the PM website.

Make sure you get both sides of a story before jump on a bandwagon.

Before you subscribe to ANY new magazine you may want to wait and see if it is really going to exist.

This new magazine, Pyrates Way, you may want to check some background of it's owner before you send them your money also. This could be just another fly by night idea like Pirates4Patriots (done by the same person) that was selling tickets with a NO REFUND policy and then just up and cancelled.

Just my 4.05 cents

Kim Cross, the owner of the magazine, she, like me, is too smart to comment about anything business related, thus take all the rest with the usual grain of salt one finds on the net. We both mutually went our separate ways because of a difference of what we saw in the magazine.

As to the the Pyrates4Patriots, it's happening in Spring of 07. We came up with the idea too late to make it really happen this year (but we learned a lot). Oh, and no tickets were ever on sale, LOL.

Again, I shouldn't have to point this out, but one person rocks the boat and if you jump on board, you might find yourself going down with the ship!

I don't mean to be inflamatory, and I certainly don't care to take sides in a debate where I know virtually nothing of the principal combatants.

BUT... Unless I'm misinterpretig Booty's profile, then forum Admins anonymously posing as one-post wonders in the middle of a pissing contest seems a poor way to handle things.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Just to clarify.

I was just trying to point out, maybe in the wrong way, that everyone was getting worried about Pirates Magazine based on a former employees comments.

Please don't let yourself be persauded by only hearing one side of a story.

There are 3 sides to every tale, and you'll hardly ever get the third.

She called at the same time as I saw this thread. Interesting coincidence, thought it worth mentioning.

It turned out to be a discussion about advertising. *shrug*

I don't do politics.

"You can just hang around outside all day tossing a ball around, or you can sit at your computer and do something that matters."

Just for the record Bilgemunky and others, since she didn't really want to be known, Booty IS our new Administrator. Bloody Buckets needed help and handed this site over to her.

So the cat's out of the bag now Booty- I did warn you to introduce yourself... :)