What is the thing called...

dasNdanger

Hmmm....

That 'palm protector' thing...

I'd say it was a custom bit.... not something you could buy... or it's what's left of a glove...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

yeah, that's what I was afraid of...dang. I know there are swordsman gloves - big-arse things that pirates would not wear. But I was wondering if they wore some sort of vibration/shock absorber, and when I saw that one on Jack, I though that - PERHAPS - it was an 'accurate' piece, considering the swordmaster's experience who taught the cast to fight.

If there IS a term for it, I'd like to know what it is. Glove seems wrong, and 'palm protector' sounds like a prophylactic, or something... :ph34r:

das

AYe Petee,

Yer thinkin' of th' leather thumb cover... so when the gun cap'n "Thumbs the vent" he don't burn his thumb...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Off the top of my head I'd say the thing Sparrow is wearing is a PoTC invention.

Why shouldn't pirates wear gloves? They are practical and widely available. I don't know about the "Swordsman Gloves" which are currently popular, but simpler gauntlets and gloves would certainly have been available.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

It looked to me just to be... fingerless gloves. Like a pirate-times version of modern biker's fingerless gloves. Or maybe even just wrist wraps, which I know are used in martial arts to help keep your wrists straight in punches, in which case it'd just be a long strip of material wrapped around the palm and down around the wrist then tied off at the bottom. (About mid-forearm.) It'd make sense, since he has it on his swordarm, and fencing sort of requires good wrist form. I suppose the palm covering portion of it would also help with shipwork too. Anyway, that wouldn't be too hard to reproduce, and it'd make sense for a trained fighter persona to wear them, and I don't see how something as simple as wrist wraps would be not period...

Why shouldn't pirates wear gloves?

Because they are hot. That is, if we're talking pirates in the tropics and not the arctic. :lol: Ever wear even light gloves in the summer? I ride horses and, trust me, you take them babies off as soon as you dismount. At least I do. :huh:

But you wear them when you're riding - ie, when you need them? :huh:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Why shouldn't pirates wear gloves?

Because they are hot. That is, if we're talking pirates in the tropics and not the arctic. ;) Ever wear even light gloves in the summer? I ride horses and, trust me, you take them babies off as soon as you dismount. At least I do. ;)

But you wear them when you're riding - ie, when you need them? ;)

Gloves were also a fashion item for the times. ;) My question is, also being a rider, when gloves are wet they can also be very slippery so being around water....

Other than warmth on board a ship, would gloves be useful? Did pirates need gloves for protection during work?

Hector

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

The only purpose that leaps to mind is that it's possibly a lambskim chamois to keep his palm dry during swordfights. Otherwise, it's performing another critical function. We're talking about it. :) :lol:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?