PiP 2006: What Would You Like To See?

Jib

:rolleyes:

Hmmm.....anyone know if there be places to sell yer wares?

I work for www.handcraftedmodelships.com and I would be interested in finding out if our Pirate Ships would be a good match there.

Anyone know who to contact?

Thanks!

Heather

Model Pirate Ships!

Yer Long-Haired Wench with an ample bosom and pint of rum to match

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes:

Hmmm.....anyone know if there be places to sell yer wares?

I work for www.handcraftedmodelships.com and I would be interested in finding out if our Pirate Ships would be a good match there.

Anyone know who to contact?

Thanks!

Heather

The majority of the tents there were vendors. Just contact Julie and let her know you want to sell there.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Pyrates singing....So who wants to take charge of putting together a list of songs? And how about a common/compiled CD that we could use to practice the same arrangements in our land craft (cars) for the next seven months? Mind you, I am aware of media piracy laws (Oh! The irony), but isn't there a way around that for amature use?

William, feats of strenth and high climbing=invitation for liability insurance being cancelled.

Heather, I think that Pyrate ships would fit right in. Several of the vendors were selling high-end pyrate gear (Capt Jack's Pirate Hats, for one) and rumor is that they did very well. Bring along a selection for display and sell for delivery later.

Does anyone know where we can get a supply of metal (not plastic) coins to hand out? Cascabel has about the best treasure coin that I have seen, but they are no longer available. Kids love these things. I am looking for something that costs about 10-25 cents apeice at most. Perhaps the organizers of the event could create and supply a commemorative coin for us all to hand (not throw indiscriminately) to the patrons.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Now that my hands are healing I'll be trying them on instruments once the strength returns but doubt I'll be doing much but drumming by PiP.

My main instrument is my voice. Portable, easy to tune (just a swig o'rum), and playing it comes naturally!

who wants to take charge of putting together a list of songs? And how about a common/compiled CD

It would be interesting if one of the musicains going to PiP would write up and print out the words to thier songs, and "burn" a CD of the songs..... and then sell them (hopefully just a little above cost + some for their effort) so we could all practice before PiP...... Nothing fancy, just enough so we could all sing along.......

I also like Williams idea about making some small stuff (whatever we like to make) so we can trade/exchange.... whatever..... at PiP.... kinda early Christmass.......

I was thinkin'...( allright -I heard that!)... screw the insurance pricks! They have the highland games and lumberjack competitions, so there's gotta be a way around the liability thing. Are we PYRATES or WHAT!?! Come now lads and lasses, lets put our heads tagether and do this thing right! What does the Fort proprietors say to it? It's their playground. If they have no problem or a solution, then lets play!

A 9 pounder shot-put

Rat-Line races

A good ol' fashioned tug-o war between Pyrates and Lubbers

Knot tyin'

There's a start... who's up next?

I love the idea of a nine pound shot-put competition. We could do it in the open space between the out wall of the fort and the sea. That way we have more open space and we won't do damage to the sod inside the fort.

Also we could measure the distance of each throw with a logline and keep tallies in a logbook.

Since we are expecting some twenty people for the camp so far, we will probably need two fire pits, so it would be very easy to have a flint and steel contest for fire starting.

We might have a dutch oven recipe contest.

We might have a dutch oven recipe contest.

That got me thinking.....OK it may be difficult to get planned out prior to PiP, eaiser to arrange once we know who's there.... This is not for every night..... going into town and eating is part of the fun of going...

But ..... how about figguring out some cooking in camp? Not exactly "pot-Luck"... more like pooling some money and getting the stuff localy....

Hey, they have food stores in Key West.... just need pots and cooking impliments......

Maybe not breakfast (weeellll other than some coffee ), and lunch may be more hastle than it's worth..... but something for dinner? .....Group eats.......

I don't think they will have hardtack and mouldy salt pork in Key West..... so we might be able to eat something better than that..........

OK, maybe it's just me, but I guess I can't imagine a living history camp that does not have campfires buring all day and food cooking over them. I guess it had not occured to me that we would be doing other than cooking over the fires. I was certainly planning to do 2 or 3 meals a day in camp for my crew.

A living history camp witout the smells of smoke and cooking food just ain't right.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Aye, and it would be a hot sticky day if they wasn't a pot o' java over the coals in my camp all day! Are we talkin a community fire pit or two then? Should braziers be brought for the individual camps?

P.S. For any of you's what wants ta be REALLY authentic, I'm sure we could put together some mildewed and maggotty ship bread, and some rancid salt meat! :) ( but I'll be havin' none o' that!)

I can't imagine a living history camp that does not have campfires buring all day

Last year, I went into town for my morning cup of coffee...... so I didn't bother with a morning fire.....

I usualy skip lunch.... or eat some bread and bouccaan (jerkey)

If I'm cooking for myself, I just boil something in a tin cup.....

That's why I kind of like the idea of a "camp" dinner..... the two biggest problems that I can see with that....

Camp cookware..... I do light weight camping..... a frying pan is the heavest cook gear that I ever carry..... I mostly cook out of a tin cup (or sometimes use my ramrod.....for bread....) So I'm no help there......

Orginizing the food.... there are food stores in Key West, it's just catching a ride to one... and figuring what to buy....

I can cook food that I like (well can eat...) There are others that like to cook....and do much better than I do at it..... But I can chop vegetables, or peel spuds......(and of course pitch in some money......)

But I like the idea of a group dinner.......

I can't live without my coffee! I'll DIE! (of course there's some out there that'd like that!)

OK... I'm plannin on this but it will depend on my schooling schedule. If all goes well, I have enough cast iron to sink a small ship. I was an electrician for many years before I blew out me shoulder, and one of the places I had maintenance contract for was the local Girl Scout summer camp.

These people are good folk from the city, but haven't got a clue! Every two or three years, they replace all the cast iron at the individual campsites with new Lodge sets. They think that when the iron turns black it's a BAD thing! So the camp ranger gives the "old" stuff away to anyone who wants it! NO JOKE!

So, I have a 10 & 12 qt. Dutch oven, griddle, 2 sizes of skillets, and the big skillet with the legs that uses the 10 qt lid. I also have a couple of the pancake griddles and an old 8qt iron "stewpot". If I can afford the gas to haul it all, and I do get to come, I will offer it for use at the PIP for the community affairs. Again, I am planning on this now, so barring any last minute difficulties in scheduling, I will bring it if needed.

Cooking would be wonderful and my many thanks in advance to those who are trucking out the pots and pans. I can't fly to Florida with crockery, so it's nice to know we'll have a camp of cookware.

I'll gladly pitch in a hand at the dishes and the dishes.

Aye, I've seen beads and also "jewels, " the glass drops found at hobby shops and usually used to fill the bottom of vases, etc. There's nothing like a piece o' gold, though...

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Aye, I've seen beads and also "jewels, " the glass drops found at hobby shops and usually used to fill the bottom of vases, etc. There's nothing like a piece o' gold, though...

Coins? Like these? replica coins from DeadMenTellNoTales

At 29 cents apiece, they are maybe within range. Next trick would be to find the manufacturer or wholesaler, so that a purchase of a couple thousand of them doesn't break the bank. (Who knows, maybe the folks at DeadMenTellNoTales might be willing to work a deal?) I'm not affiliated with them, btw. I did buy a couple fistfuls of these for my son's pirate birthday party.

The cheaper option is plastic coins, like these ($3.95 a gross):

Plastic coins from OrientalTrading.com

I've used these in the past for Halloween. (Hey, they're cheaper than candy, and they don't rot your teeth.)

Another inexpensive kiddie giveaway could be a treasure map (if that's not too obvious and cheesy). Some enterprising and artistic sort could whomp up a convincing pen and ink island map, then photocopy it onto Astroparche. Go after the edges of the ream of paper with a blowtorch and maybe spill some weak coffee into the edges, and there ya be.