Help me out, need a decision

Here it is;

I've had this old CVA Bluderbuss for many years. It's the brass barreled twelve guage. For those familiar with these you know that they are notoriously out of period in the lock and stock, and furnture. Mine is complete and in working order.( a miracle for most of those old Spanish locks!)

I cannot decide whether to modify the existing stock and add a more authentic lock and guard, etc., or to build a new piece from scratch around the barrel.

Suggestions? ( and don't say "you should give it to ME!" :lol: )

Thanx...Capt. Bo

Buy a whole new peice. Either method you're talking about is gonna be nearly as expensive and definatly more time consuming. Keep the old cva for what it is and or just do a few cosmetic changes and use it for a fun pirate kit.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Hitman,

Thanx, but I do my own gunsmithing and I've a barrel of parts to work with, as well as stock blanks. The dilema is whether to destroy the original, or build from scratch. I should have stressed that the money thing, as far as purchase, was not a factor. Appreciate the feedback though.

Hitman,

Thanx, but I do my own gunsmithing and I've a barrel of parts to work with, as well as stock blanks. The dilema is whether to destroy the original, or build from scratch. I should have stressed that the money thing, as far as purchase, was not a factor. Appreciate the feedback though.

That being the case you lucky dog. I'd say it boils down to the time you have to invest in the project. There will be less time spent mod'ing the CVA but if you want this gun to be an absolute showcase then starting from scratch is the only way I see you being completly satisfied. If this is to be a period style gun that can serve as a "beater" at events and or treking then I'd mod it. If this going to be the highlight of your kit then build from scratch. At least thats what I'd do.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Have you tryed DIXIE GUN WORKS.....they may have the parts you are looking forward too. I am getting ready to order a Blunderbuss kit from them. Braze would also be a person to ask on this subject.

"If you would have fought like men you would not die like dogs!" Anne Bonney

Women who behave rarely make history! - unknown

"SAFETY MEETING!!!!" Capt. Mason

There is no problem that cannot be solved with the use of black powder!!!!!

Thanx for the feed back!

I've got the time as I'm recovering from surgery and cannot go back to work for some time.

I'm new here, so where do I find Braze?

It won't be "the showcase" but I'd like it to look the part anywhere. I got some input over in Twill on another thread, and I've just about convinced myself to go ahead with the complete rebuild on cherry with brass furniture.

Still like to here some others thoughts. Thanx again mates! :rolleyes:

I'm new here, so where do I find Braze?

Go to the members listing (bottom of the main pub page) the list is in ABC order, and drop him an e-mail, or I can send him a shout for you.

"If you would have fought like men you would not die like dogs!" Anne Bonney

Women who behave rarely make history! - unknown

"SAFETY MEETING!!!!" Capt. Mason

There is no problem that cannot be solved with the use of black powder!!!!!

Thanx Beaufort! I'll try to get ahold of Braze, if I fail I will call on you though!

I didn't know Dixie was offering a kit gun for blunderbuss! That's just cool. :) The latest catalog I have of theirs is 2003, and they list some parts, but I didn't see the barrels or kit guns. Have fun and best of luck...

Capt. Bo

• 3 weeks later...

I've had two Harleys, and they were BOTH a peice of shit! I wouldn't have one today if Willie G. delivered it to my door in person for what his corporation did to me when I was in the Navy. Sold me a peice of shit, wouldn't stand behind the product, wouldn't repair anything even while it was under warranty, and after it caught fire and burned due the incompetence of the dealers mechanics, I delivered it through the front window of the store. The Navy lawyer got me out of trouble and out from under the payments. Harley Davidson Motor Co. can eat shit and die!

OK, so now the rant is complete, I've decided to go ahead and build around the barrel from scratch. Thanx for the input folks. I'll post pictures when I complete the project.

Capt. Bo

I've heard alot of things about the "John Deere's" of the MC world, but that is the first time I've heard that one Petee! :rolleyes: I'll have to commit that one to memory for sure! Next time I'm out on my Shadow, I'll have to recite that to my Harley pushin friends!

Thanx! Capt. Bo

Just a word of advice to save ye some time and frustration...be Very cautious about dealing with The Rifle Shoppe. If they have what you need on the shelf, you'll get it quickly and without any problem--it's when they have to get it from another supplier that the time and frustration comes into play. They may tell you 1-2 weeks...you might want to tag on another 2 months.

me 'umble two farthing's worth :)

Cheers!

"Don't worry, it's not My Blood!"