What exactly be pirate music?

Well, yeah, so he doesn't have the most beautiful voice, but you get the idea...

YO HO HO

(Allison and Waller)

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Drink and the devil had done for the rest

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

The mate was fixed by the bosun's pike

The bosun brained with a marlinspike

And cookey's throat was marked belike

It had been gripped by fingers ten;

And there they lay, all good dead men

Like break o'day in a boozing ken

Fifteen men of the whole ship's list

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Dead and be damned and the rest gone whist!

The skipper lay with his nob in gore

Where the scullion's axe his cheek had shore

And the scullion he was stabbed times four

And there they lay, and the soggy skies

Dripped down in up-staring eyes

In murk sunset and foul sunrise

Fifteen men of 'em stiff and stark

Ten of the crew had the murder mark!

'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead

Or a yawing hole in a battered head

And the scuppers' glut with a rotting red

And there they lay, aye, damn my eyes

Looking up at paradise

All souls bound just contrawise

Fifteen men of 'em good and true

Ev'ry man jack could ha' sailed with Old Pew,

There was chest on chest of Spanish gold

With a ton of plate in the middle hold

And the cabins riot of stuff untold, <- And they lay there that took the plum

With sightless glare and their lips struck dumb

While we shared all by the rule of thumb,

More was seen through a sternlight screen...

Chartings undoubt where a woman had been

'Twas a flimsy shift on a bunker cot

With a dirk slit sheer through the bosom spot

And the lace stiff dry in a purplish blot

Oh was she wench or some shudderin' maid

That dared the knife and took the blade

By God! she had stuff for a plucky jade

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest

Drink and the devil had done for the rest

We wrapped 'em all in a mains'l tight

With twice ten turns of a hawser's bight

And we heaved 'em over and out of sight,

With a Yo-Heave-Ho! and a fare-you-well

And a sudden plunge in the sullen swell

Ten fathoms deep on the road to hell,

Isn't that morbid? I love it!!!

:rolleyes:

"You have a woman's skin, m'lord! I'll wager that hides never been rubbed with salt and flayed off to make stockin's for a pirates best cabin boy!"

I love that song. So beautifully morbid, yay! Not that mutiny is anything good in most circumstances (which my Cap'n thanks me for...she's glad to hear she won't find a knife in her throat by my hand! But then, I'm her loyal first mate...)

Anyone know much about its origins? I know they adapted it for that Treasure Island musical way way back, but other than that I dont' know much about it. All I know is something 'bout fifteen men on a dead man's chest being the iron nails in a coffin...

Oh, an' Trapper, thanks for yer note about the Wawona...got to get me down there one o' these days! Rather, the August one seeing as I'm off to Portland again soon, where all we gots is a river that's rather nasty for sailing, and no boat. Just the jolly roger I get to hang in my window...

Sure 'n yer welcome, Suliel! It's a fine, motley crew that gets together on the auld Wawona, and we're always happy to welcome another voice to the mix.

About the "Fifteen Men on a Dead Man's Chest": Bobby Kotta (formerly o' Howling Gael and Copperfield) used to do a wonderful version o' that song, but he changed the words a bit to make it more, well, compact. I'll dig it out an' post it, if ye like.

Fair winds, a handsome cabin boy and a full tankard o' rum to ye,

Trapper

:P

Captain of the Tinker's Damn

A'right....

Since we got all o' Yo Ho Ho put here, how's about someone puttin' all th' words ta "A Pyrates Life Fer Me" here too?

Sorry, I dun nay have 'em handy....

:P:P:P

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Ya wanna get silly about it, check out the official POTC site, go through the little "puting together the treasure pieces to break yer curse" game, and at one point you can click on a couple of blokes, sittin on deck of a ship, and the lyrics come up there! Heheheh.. at least THAT version is!

<_<

"You have a woman's skin, m'lord! I'll wager that hides never been rubbed with salt and flayed off to make stockin's for a pirates best cabin boy!"

Well, I'm lookin' forward to going down to the Wawona soon then! Better than going and singing random songs off-key in the middle of the lake on the byte, though that's fun too.

I'd like to see that version if it's not too much trouble! Sounds good.

Mad Maudlin, I be coming down to Portland come September...and I'd say I can't wait to go back 'cept I'll miss my Cap'n and crew! (All three of us, that is...) But do you know of any sort of happenings down in Portland with sea-related music this fall? If so do tell!

Fair winds to ye all

-Suliel

I'll look into it... maybe Cap'n Bogg and Salty will have some more tour dates then, you old enough to be IN a bar, lassie? Otherwise, there is the endless impromptu singing parties I throw whenever somebody of a musical tendancy comes within a mile of me apartment. Great for freaking out the neighbors! Every Sept 22nd I throw a party... and it aint MY birthday it be celebratin'! Drop me an email, I'll give yeh me phone number, and we'll put something together!! ANY excuse to sing I say!

:ph34r:

Hello all. If you're looking for some words and chords to some songs try www.hcs.harvard.edu/~celts/songbook.shtml or www.azirishmusic.com/song_list.htm or if you are looking for a site to help in learning the concertina or mandolin try www.folkofthewood.com or if you want to hear or see a few videos (some not pyrate some are) try www.canadiancracker.com read the bio on tommy. Some of you who have been to Pirates in Paradise know him as Patches. There is a surprise when you click on one of the pics.

Silly

• 1 month later...

Ah, I be hopin' someone would know about me favorite pirate band,

Captain Bogg and Salty

http://www.boggandsalty.com/bogg/

They be the best around! Plunder and Sun weekend coming up, and November 1 they will be playing for my first mates art show opening. (That would be "Avast Ye", paintings by Thomas Webb, based on and inspired by the music of Captain Bogg and Salty) This be in the beautiful Port of Portland, OR.

They be the best! And some nice lookin scallywags they be as well!

B)

Grace O'Malley

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I'm lookin' forward to going down to the Wawona soon then! Better than going and singing random songs off-key in the middle of the lake on the byte, though that's fun too.

Sure 'n the next chantey sing on the Wawona will be the best! Though it'll be in the carpenters' shed next to the boat. William Pint and Felicia Dale will be leadin' the sing, an' they're one o' the best singin' performers around. Festivities be startin' tween 7:30 and 8, Friday the 10th o' October.

Mad Maudlin:

Of course I knows Howling Gael! Bobby Kotta was one o' me closest friends 'til he passed away a few years ago. I know Robin, Patrick and the older version o' the band wi' Mary Benson. She sings wi' me in Broadside.

And mark ye well on yer calendars, October 11th, at the Highliner (Fisherman's Terminal, Seattle), there'll be a benefit to save the Wawona, Seattle's last tall ship, from gettin' evicted from 'er berth. We need t' raise money fer 'er restoration. Come on out an' support a good cause! What could be a better cause for a pirate than restorin' a ship, eh?

Fair winds t' ye,

Trapper

Captain of the Tinker's Damn

And mark ye well on yer calendars, October 11th, at the Highliner (Fisherman's Terminal, Seattle), there'll be a benefit to save the Wawona, Seattle's last tall ship, from gettin' evicted from 'er berth. We need t' raise money fer 'er restoration. Come on out an' support a good cause! What could be a better cause for a pirate than restorin' a ship, eh?

Fair winds t' ye,

Trapper

Ooh. The 11th, ye say?

*contemplate* Lemme see what 'appens. There's been a shift in m'winds towards th' Emerald city, an' I be goin' up there for work purposes (sadly, one o' me last trips :lol: ), so I'll toss this towards a friend or two an' see what I can do 'bout bein' there...

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-