What exactly be pirate music?

sixtyseven.... Ahoy there .... I have always had two good sources for music.... One of course is a really big music store. What i mean is , avoid walmart. target, etc.... The bigger the store, (usually) the bigger the selection. I found a good source at, borders books and music ,just for an example. Also........ almost any ren fair. Every fair I have ever been at has a great selection of music. Both of these sources usually cost more, but, they do have what a lot of us want. arrgghhh. Hope this helps.

by the way... welcome to the site, it is nice to see you... The Capt.

Hey, and don't forget Amazon.com and other Internet sources (including foreign). I have a pretty good collection of American, English and French sea chanteys and sea songs on CD, all gleaned from those sources as well as Ren faires, Tower Records, Virgin Megastores, etc.

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Hail an greetins me Bucko I has just been to the site you refered to www.woodenshipsmusic.com/ an I were fair impressed I was . :D

I thank thee and I wish thee fair winds an calm seas .

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

Thought I'd add me tuppence to the discussion of sources of music. The book, "Shanties of the Seven Seas" by Stan Hugill (the last great chanteyman) is a great collection of chanteys, with sheet music to most. It be available through amazon.com.

Trapper

Captain of the Tinker's Damn

Aye, thar also be a web site called cdbaby.com. Ye canst take a look therein and search for Sea Shanties or Shanty and things like that an' come up with several different hits.

Gar, me brainpan must be addled from too much rum. Iffn' yer looking for songs, written down and belikes there be a most wond'rus site to see. http://www.mudcat.org/

Supply 'em with a name, or a few words or whot not and they can look up nearly everything for ye.

*purrs* I found some nice music by a group called "Father and sons" it's mostly colonial feeling music but there are some great tunes on the CD. There's an album I'd reccomend called "Adrift on the Tide" http://www.jastown.com/music/mu-649.htm

There's also a filk/folk singer out there called Michael Longcor. Now, he sings a bit of everything, and he's got a few tunes out there that are very SCA popular, but really he's got a bit of everything for every one. Currently me favorite album of his is Lovers, Heroes & Rogues (really with a title like that how could you go wrong?)

but off that album the songs that involve pirates, smugglers and privateers are: Privateer • A Smuggler's Song • Pirates in England • The Bold Marauder.

The musical arrangement is great, Michael's got a wonderful voice and ooh he has fun singing and that makes it all that more enjoyable.

oh, and one song that I really do enjoy that isn't really about pirates but does have a sailor in it and a mermaid is Meg Davis's "Captain Jack and the Mermaid" Meg Davis has a voice that is, simply, amazing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazon has become one of my most favorite places to browse for ideas. While poking about there I found the following books:

What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor?: Unexpurgated Sea Chanties

by Douglas Morgan

Paperback: 128 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.38 x 8.12 x 5.24

Publisher: Swordsmith Productions; (May 2002)

ISBN: 1931013098

Now, me beloved maker of Cobbler called Cookie, has this book and did allow me to browse through it. Granted some of the songs are in no way fitting the proper time frame, none of them you'd ever want to sing around kids, but oooh! The words and melody's are there, along with explinations of the 'hidden' and oft time not so hidden meanings.

Iffn' you've time to search it out at the library there's also:

The music of the waters; a collection of the sailors' chanties, or working songs of the sea, of all maritime nations. Boatmen's, fishermen's, and rowing songs, and water legends

by Laura Alexandrine Smith

Publisher: Milford House;

ASIN: 0878210210

Shanties from the Seven Seas

by Stan Hugill

Paperback: 428 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.50 x 9.00 x 6.00

Publisher: Mystic Seaport Museum Pubns; (December 1994)

ISBN: 0913372706

this book came highly reccomended. I'll be able to say more about it after I get my copy in the next few weeks. But there's over 400 songs, variations and music included. *dances the happy dance*

B)

Ahoy There!

Tis a grand site that has many a shanty from many a land...

http://www.acronet.net/~robokopp/shanty.html

Quite a few are accompanied with the melody, and many are in both the original language and english...

It also gives reference to weather it be a Short, Long Drag, or Capstan Shanty...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend places to go and hear live sea shanties?

One such place is the tavern in the Colonial Spanish Village in St. Augustine. We were there last week, but we returned to New Orleans on Friday, so didn't get to hear the resident sea-shantyists (THE BILGE RATS) perform, as they do so only on Friday and Saturday evenings. We did hear one of the Rats (Jeff, who's also the blacksmith) singing solo on Thursday night, and it was great!

I'm told there are also shanty-singings in the D.C. area; anyone ever attended?

Capt. William :ph34r:

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

June 12 ta thge 15th there be the Sea Music festival at Mystic Seaport. The Free Men O' the Sea are already tied up with Gaspee Days in Warwick RI that same weekend (Damned schedule stackin' bassards!) but I be tryin' ta ger the crew ta the warm-up and pub sing on the 12th

Evil Tiny

I'm not really evil...oh wait...yes I am!

Discipline is on the severe side of harsh, and I likes it that way.

Can anyone recommend places to go and hear live sea shanties?

In Southern California, there's a monthly gathering of real sailors and their admirers for an evening of singing at the Whale & Ale pub in San Pedro. It's held the last Friday of every month. (Hey, the May gathering is this Friday, ain't it?)

http://www.whaleandale.com/inside2.htm

For definitive information, visit

http://www.jsward.com/shanty/index.shtml

scroll down almost to the end of the page for the info and contact links.

Melusine de la Mer

• 2 weeks later...

Must to more research, but I seem to remember that there's a big sea shanty festival thingy that goes on in San Diego at the Star of India.

*thinks* Dana point Tall Ship festival had some folks singing Shanties too. though again my mind is just adrift on the tide so I can't remember dates or anything like that *is sad*

*wanders off to console self with more rum*

:ph34r:

Must to more research, but I seem to remember that there's a big sea shanty festival thingy that goes on in San Diego at the Star of India.

*thinks* Dana point Tall Ship festival had some folks singing Shanties too. though again my mind is just adrift on the tide so I can't remember dates or anything like that *is sad*

*wanders off to console self with more rum*

The Sea Shanty Festivel on board the Star of Inda is on September 21st. A very good time, and lots of great singers.

*squint* Cookie! *pounces then slathers him with cobbler*

*squints again*

is then when I'm supposed to remember that it's Devotion not stalking? :ph34r:

oh, and just out of j. random curiosity and half believing that I'm a frustrated bard... er singer, er well demmit I likes to drink and sing a lot!

are there any folks that gather about and do bardic circles with Shanties in the San Diego area? *has lots of music, some instruments (none of which are played to well but what's lacked in skill is almost made up for in enthusism, and iffn' folks don't like that then I threaten 'em with my electric accordian *well ok, it's not an electric accordian but it does have an amp hook up (cackles!)*

*waggles eyebrows* *prepares to launch into a rousing chorus of "Roll your leg over" but gets distracted by a cabin boy I've not personally *cough* interviewed yet*

*aside* hey Cookie, prepare the crew for another crash. Six foot one, long black hair and emerald green eyes have been spotted. :ph34r:

Aye, this year's Chantey Fest at the Star is scheduled for Sept. 21.

There are usually chantey singers at the Tallship Fest in Dana Point. This year's event is the weekend after Labor Day.

The Port Royal Privateers have participated at both events over the years, and will be at Dana Point this year for certain. (Not sure yet about San Diego.)

Melusine de la Mer

I'm always on the look-out for good sea chantey sources, so this 'as been quite useful!

I do know these two wonderful folks what sing chanteys, William Pint and Felicia Dale. I'll find a link (if I ever get me act together!) or something, but they have a few albums out with some lovely chanteys and other sea-related songs. Not so much of the pirate-stuff, though, which I needs must find more of! Felicia plays her hurdy-gurdy on some of their songs which is just COOL.

And another note, at the Northwest Folklife Festival they had a bit of a nautical theme to it, and I got to hear a lot of wonderful chanteys live. Lovely stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, and a wee note as well to any and all that be out Seattle way and lookin' for chanteys. The second Friday of every month, we be havin' an informal gatherin' of chantey singers on the schooner, Wawona, on the south end o' Lake Union, from around 7:30ish to 10ish. All be welcome, as long as ye bring yer singin' voices.

Trapper

Captain of the Tinker's Damn

In the shameless self-promotion department, you are all more than welcome to visit my new site, where I have sprinkled a few choice nautical tunes to tickle your ear. You will also find links to more music as well as info on the 'Salmagundi' page about the finest shanty/ pirate festivals around. :ph34r:

Enjoy!

Captain Sage

In the shameless self-promotion department, you are all more than welcome to visit my new site

and a right fine site it is.

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/upn...d/cleveland.php

check out this link my mother-in-law sent me when I asked how on earth the tune went for Yo Ho Ho... the old guy that sings it makes it sound SO haunting! CLick on the link in the yellow box on the right, and prepare to shiver yer timbers!!!

:blink::lol::lol:

"You have a woman's skin, m'lord! I'll wager that hides never been rubbed with salt and flayed off to make stockin's for a pirates best cabin boy!"

McCrumb.... I checked out the web site you posted. It was cool to hear all the words to that old song. I need to get them in print, because, I'll never remember them. The one thing about the site also is; it proves that anyone can get a web site. That had to be some of the worst singing I have ever heard. But, it was fun....... Thanks ........ The Capt.