Black Beard on National Geo

Pirate Petee

wow, all the debates on the inaccuracy of boots, yet no discussion on the mass discrepencies in this film? Even I know some of it's not portrayed well. I did enjoy the film, but especially like the final killing scene, didn't he get killed by decapitation? the story I once read was that a man knicked him in the neck with a sword, he stated it wasn't a good shot and the man sliced his head off... just saying..besides, those were some nice bucket boots. :huh:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, all the debates on the inaccuracy of boots, yet no discussion on the mass discrepencies in this film?  Even I know some of it's not portrayed well.  I did enjoy the film, but especially like the final killing scene, didn't he get killed by decapitation?  the story I once read was that a man knicked him in the neck with a sword, he stated it wasn't a good shot and the man sliced his head off... just saying..besides, those were some nice bucket boots.  :huh:

Apparantly you missed my posting here on the previous page:

The only other thing I I had problem with was BB's death scene. Instead of the beheading by highlander with a broadsword with BB saying, one of the best last lines in history "Well done lad" when the higlander first cut BB's neck. to which the higlander replied "If not well done, I'll do better". then he cuts BB's head off. Now that's a death scene! That whole grabbing Maynard and saying the bit about history was incongruous

(Boston News-Letter Feb. 23-Mar 3, 1719)

If you ook at this discussion a second time, you'll see that a lot more than bucket boots has been mentioned. While on the subject of costuming, the coat BB was wearing fits a period illustration of BB. The only differnece in the illustration BB is wearing breeches, stocking & shoes not bucket boots. Who know why the bucket boots instead of shoes? Maybe the art director thought Purefoy looked better the boots. This is after all a film. :)

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

LOL about any other subject I'd say you're probably right...but in this case I doubt it. FWIW National Geographic didn't actually make this movie, they just backed it and are airing it.

I think it just falls into the same trap of "we better make these guys look like pirates or people won't watch it!" :(

newbannersigtar0db.gif

EYES DUG IT !

I would ask about all the colorful clothin though???

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I would have to agree, It was quite good. Now, I was wandering about the blockade scene myself. We know It did happen , but I only saw 3 ships and when thet made sail there was only one. Where did the other two go and where wre the crews? The Stede Bonnet, had slipped my mind, but the fact he never got a "Fleet" in this film was puzzling, because the things I have seen or read mentioned he once had a Fleet of Nine ships(could be larger,not sure) possibilty that was a Stede Bonnet,era and why it was left out. It was still in all an excellent fim, so I'll be looking to see if I can get my digits soon enough :o

Shipwreck

Adventurer of Independent Means

TALL SAILS AND MERMAIDS TAILS, THIS BE THE LIFE FOR ME

"THEM THAT DIE WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES"

bnnr2.jpg

For those that missed it:

Wednesday, March 15th, 5pm(EST), National Geographic Channel. (Ch#276-Direct TV).

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

As a NC pyrate I was NOT pleased with the fact that the building they showed for Bath was not even in Bath and the coast line of NC does NOT look like what they showed! And they made Teach "nice". The man was a phycho path by todays standards! They also made no mention of the fact that he ran the QAR aground before he was killed and that the battle from local accounts went on for over 2 hours. His death was by a scottsman who took his head and the "blah blah" they had him saying to the Capt. NEVER TOOK PLACE!!!! Maby if it had of been 2 hours so they could have covered more info and filmed where the history took place I would have given it a better "grade" as it were. It was ok, but I felt very let down after it was over, I was expecting more. B)B)

"If you would have fought like men you would not die like dogs!" Anne Bonney

Women who behave rarely make history! - unknown

"SAFETY MEETING!!!!" Capt. Mason

There is no problem that cannot be solved with the use of black powder!!!!!

No, Teach was probably not nice. But there are no accounts of him ever committing any atrocities, murder, or otherwise. I agree with you on all other points. Malta made for a pretty terrible North Caroline and Williamsburg!

And I was shocked they completely ignored him running the QAR aground.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Pyschopaths can be very 'nice' and charming when they want to be. Having said that I'm not sure BB was a true psychopath. Looking at what is really known that he did it was very well calculated. I recall somewhere someone suggestid that BB even paid people to tell what a badass (or the 18th c. equalvilent was) . There was definately method to his madness.

As to the locations well money, time and dramtic affect, may have been a factor. All in all this si still a film and no matter what there are things that may not make our exceptations. I know a guy who was very dissappointed the LOTR Fellowship of the Ring didn't have the whole Council of Elrond it it! Can you imagine that much talking heads? Geez the film was long enough as it was! :rolleyes:

All in all it was a good film with fine acting and for the most part good production. I'd buy the DVD in a minute especially if it had bounus material, deleted scenes etc.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

I think the exchange of words with Lieutenant Manard "No Quarter Will Be Given / No Quarter will be Given" were not even uttered in this show.

But still KOODOS for the effort! :P

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

• 3 weeks later...