Permission to come aboard?

Gabriel

Hey! Having a bit of insomnia, and found the site so I figured I'd stop by and register. Umm... Suppose I could say a bit about me, then... I'm sixteen years old, and live in the wonderfully boring state of Iowa, where our closest seas are comprised of corn. However, my earliest childhood memories of watching movies involve vague remembrance of Cutthroat Island, Treasure Island, Muppet Treasure Island, Braveheart, (No, not a pirate movie, but it's still one of the five I remember) and The Three Musketeers. (Porthos was always my favorite character, even in toddler years.) May have a bit of piratin' in the blood as well, both sides of the family are full of Navy men and Gypsy ancestors, and what would a gypsy sailor be but a pirate?

Re-enactment/Renn Faire-wise, I've been part of a group at my highschool where we become a medieval persona and go to junior high and elementary schools to teach lectures about the Middle Ages and Renaissance. I am the drummer for a belly dancing group that has so far performed at the Des Moines (We were technically street performers then), Amana Colonies, and Quad City Renaissance Faires, we actually had our own stage times and shows at the latter two. Currently I'm trying to turn a gang of land lubbin' Iowa-folk into an at least somewhat respectable pirating crew, humbly entitled The Amazing Pirate Action Swordfighting Comedy Show, (I'm sure some of you are thinking, "Like we don't already have enough of those...") though our expectations are at least a year or two before they're whipped into shape for real shows, for now it's just fun. Any suggestions and help for stage combat resources would be really appreciated, as right now I'm relying on a combination of my own martial arts experience, (been practicing Karate-based eastern style fighting since about the 3rd grade, some independant study in eastern sword fighting styles, and about three years of experience in western medieval and renaissance martial arts) acting experience from a comedy improv group I've been in at highschool past three years and the medieval lecturing group, and what seems to me to have been quite a bit of research into stage combat techniques and such, watching other choreographed combat groups, and practice with a partner who's done the same.

Anyway, that's enough yapping from me... I believe tradition is I buy a round?

welcome aboard, though with ya being underage, I think yer gonna have to buy us a soda..... :D

" Never knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that"

' Whatever is not nailed down is MINE. Whatever I can pry loose, is not nailed down."

Ahoy and Welcome to ye, Gabriel

Ye have sailed into a fine establishment. Sounds as if ye have a pretty busy and active life there in the 'Sea of Corn' (great image by the way).

We are a bunch of cutthroats and scoundrels, pirates and wenches, so watch yer step, mate. There be much to see and do here in the Pub, so go explorin'.

Pay attention, though, bucko, that some of the rooms are labeled for Adults Only. However, don't let that disappoint ye, as there be a vast array of places suitable fer lads and lasses.

I might suggest one of me favorite haunts, The Tsunami Kate, as a place fer ye to wander into. And, if'n ye get in over yer head, come on over to The Confessional Closet, which I administer.

Well, I'll have a Diet Pepsi to get me caffeine buzz hummin' this mornin'.

Gramercy.

Once again, welcome to ye, Gabriel.

Captain Ciaran of North Carolina

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Welcome aboard Gabriel. Im in the Lone Star State but having several friends in Iowa three of which are EMTS there. Nice to have you aboard and ill have a diet coke. If'n you have nay questions you only need ask and any can help you..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Welcome to tha pub lad. Quick, whilst nobody be lookin'.....take a pull from me flask.....that be Captain Morgan's Tattoo.....good stuff 'eh? Now sneak on over to tha bar an refill me mug will ya? I likes ye already :)

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

Arches a brow at Barbados and looks to Gabriel and shakes her head. Hides a grin then sips her drink and sits at a table placing booted feet on it's tabletop.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

westindiespic.jpg

Eye kan't seas wheres Iowa on this ere- Map mabe we need to unfold it :ph34r:

map.jpg

Arrgegag-me wit a grape juice efin yar please mate.. And Welcome!

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Thanks for all the welcomes, it's great to meet you all too, and I'll be sure to get those drinks for you. :lol:

Had a random thought earlier though, when I noticed there was a poetry thread started up. I tend to spend a lot of time just sitting around playing guitar, and have been doing a bit of songwriting recently and was thinking it might be fun to try either putting some of your poems to music, or flat out writing songs from scratch. I've got a somewhat decent recording program, and could probably whip up and record guitar and drum parts and see what happens, can't guarantee any singing on my part would necessarily sound great, but I thought it was worth a shot at doing. Come to think of it somebody's probably already thought of or done it - But like I said it was just the random thought of the day.

Welcome to tha pub lad.  Quick, whilst nobody be lookin'.....take a pull from me flask.....that be Captain Morgan's Tattoo.....good stuff 'eh?  Now sneak on over to tha bar an refill me mug will ya?  I likes ye already  :)

B) shame on ye, Sam, ye old scoundrel tryin te spoil the young lad temptin' 'im with drink, leadin 'im down the dark path o' no return....ave ye no sense o' responsibility?.....

(ah, psssst....you, lad, over 'ere.....ye seems like a polite one, now wi' out Sam there noticin' ye can please go get me own flask filled by Mr. Ray there wi' the black rum, there that's a good lad......shhhhhhh, do it quiet like so's no one's seein.... B) )

tsk tsk... dont' tempt the lass.. lad? anymore then ya have to..

I'll have a cuppa java if you please.. I'm from Iowa too.. corsair of the cornfields and pirate of the plains as a friend of mine likes to say.. just remember, what happens in the pyracy pub, stays in the pub..

ask me if you have any questions, and be careful around here..

there be pirates!

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so it's been a little bit since I posted... but I've got schoolin' to take care of and whatnot, ya know. Anyway, was talking to one of the girls in the belly dancing troupe (well, there's only two of them and then myself drumming, but I guess we can still call ourselves a troupe), and apparantly we're going to be performing at the Omaha Nebraska renfaire or something like that, which I think is May 14th-15th if it's the same one I just looked up. Not sure what others we'll be at just yet... I'll make an update once I get all the facts straight. According to the site for it, Captain JP Boyd (The Pirate Comedy Show) and the Ministry of Petty Offenses will be there as well, and I know for a fact that means it'll have plenty of quality piratical goodness.

Was kinda wondering if there's anybody in the area who may be going to that faire.

Oh, and Merrydeath, lad would be the term I use to describe myself. Name's pronounced Gay-bree-ehl, not Gab-ree-ehl. ;)

You'd be surprised how many teachers have had trouble figuring that out...

i have always thought when in doubt you turn them over and check the way you do with puppies ;););)

welcome aboard lad and now that ye ave given merry the confirmation watch yerself she is also an iowa pyrate .....and a fyne was she be ;)

Welcome te ye Garbriel, now dont ye mind these scoundrels teasin ye. They only tease the ones they like. B)

Now I be Scarlet McBayne and would dearly luv a cup o coffe this mornin darlin. Come sit next te me and play me a purdy song if yer of a mind to. Glad te meet ye luv.

Scarlet McBayne

" Touch not the Cat without a Sheild " McBayne motto

"red is the Rose in yander garden grows

Fair is the Lily of the Valley"

Welcome t' ye' lad! N' tank ya' fer de fine introduction o' yerself. A nice cup o' tea fer me' ifin ya' please. Hearin a tune o' yers would be lovely indeed. I sings a bit also, perhaps I could work on some harmonies wit ye'.

Oh no, it takes quite a bit to scare me off, but thanks again for all the welcomes. I was talking to Dabria, the one out of us that kinda handles all the when/where we perform and whatnot, and if anyone's interested in knowing we are more than likely performing Belly Dancing shows at this year's Nebraska Renaissance faire in Omaha Nebraska, (Not sure when that is now though, just noticed the site says it's May 14-15th 2005... Don't know if it's just not been updated or what) The Des Moines Renaissance faire (Though I think there's something about audtions for it this year, she was going to get ahold of the guy that runs all the faires to figure out what all's going on and when), The Iowa Renaissance Festival (May 5th, 6th, and 7th at the Amana Colonies, IA), and The Four Kingdoms Festival. (Date to be posted, in Rock Island, IL)

That sounds like it could be a fun idea, Silkie.

Oh, and on a random note that made me chuckle, walked by the television and caught the reporter saying "...and piracy is still a major problem..."

:wub:

• 4 weeks later...

A wee bit late here in postin' on this topic.. but.. again, welcome aboard, follow Iowan. Always a'lookin' fo' more Iowa pirates. :)

:D

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!