Tar on the Pig Tail

Jib

It was done, though no as early as the GAoP I don't think - at least, it wasn't a common practice that early if it was done at all.

As I understand it, it was a protection for the hair.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Not "tar on the Pig tails".... but I think it was in "The Wooden World" (something like that....) there was a reference to the sailors plaiting (OK...braiding) each other hair...... something about the longer the tail, the longer you had been at Sea......

Does anyone have better references to period hair styles ?

No tar on me tail, but some say we North Carolinians have tar on our heels, but alas, that's another legend.

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

It was done, though no as early as the GAoP I don't think - at least, it wasn't a common practice that early if it was done at all.

As I understand it, it was a protection for the hair.

Okay this is hearsay but from a usually reliable source who agrees it was done for protection and to keep the hair out of one's face, when they were done they cut the entire thing off and grew it new... or left it off which eventually lead to the shorter hair styles during the early 1800s.

Do not quote me on this but it might help you to track more information down regarding tarred hair....

Hector

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Well, I've used a pine tar hair treatment and I can tell you first hand the #1 reason they tarred their hair - it smells GREAT!!! The stuff I have is to nourish damaged hair, but I doubt that's why sailors used it. In reading through some information, I came across an unreliable source that suggested it was to discourage lice. Though the source is questionable, it actually does make sense that it was used to ward off lice, since lice can't cling to greasy hair (they prefer dry, clean hair), and the tar would, I think, tend to smother them. Can anyone else find a reliable reference to sailors using pine tar to control lice?

das

since lice can't cling to greasy hair

Cool ... I ain't never washing me hair again... gotta protect meself genst lice........ :ph34r: Sorry after a "bad" night and a few tankards O' rum...... heck what do you expect.........

I expect you to save a LOT of money on your hair care products!

In the past people just didn't wash their hair so obsessively as they do now, and greasy or oily hair was often preferred to the squeaky clean stuff. But the reasons for not washing vary greatly - from fear of disease to just plain ol' poor hygiene. As far as using tar in the hair - heck, 'pomades' have been used for centuries, and up through the 70's they were still popular amongst menfolk until gels and mousses became popular. Perhaps pine tar was just the sailor's equivalent to Dapper Dan Pomade...I can just hear it now..."Well, I don't want 'Fop', goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan pine tar man!"

okay - it was a "bad" night for me, too...so what do you expect...

:ph34r:

das

Rumba...

I've used Grandpa's Pine Tar shampoo and soap ( http://www.grandpabrands.com/main1024.html ), and Bronner Brother's Pine Tar Super Gro Conditioner ( http://www.bronnerbros.com/Products/pine_tar.html ) - that's a leave-in conditioner that I would use before washing my hair. It's really an African-American haircare product, and you're supposed to leave it in for days before washing your hair, but I would only leave it in overnight because it makes Caucasian hair look greasy...like an ol' sailor, or something... It smells wonderful, though - like smoked sausages!

das

So are we talking about here, the sap or pitch that comes out of pine trees when they are damaged? The same stuff it is impossible to wash off your hands? The same stuff where I used to have to cut out bits of my hair after a morning of climbing trees, as there was no other way short of MEK to get it out?

People put that in their hair intentionally?

Somewhat right, Duchess. I am absolutely no expert, but did grow up here in North Carolina, where the manufacturing of tar for naval vessels has its roots in America. It is my understanding that the pine sap/resin from the trees was boiled down and made into tar. Not sure if other ingredients were added. The final product was certainly waterproof.

I have seen pine tar soaps/shampoos in health food and 'country' stores, too. I believe it's advertised as a remedy for dandruff.

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

The link Patrick Hand gave explains it all - http://www.maritime.org/conf/conf-kaye-tar.htm

A quick explanation from Wikipedia: "While pine tar is most widely known as the sticky substance baseball players use on their bats to improve grip, it has many, lesser-known uses. It has been used by mariners, in soaps, in roofing projects, and in the treatment of skin diseases since its discovery in the middle 1600s.

Pine tar is produced by a process called destructive distillation of the wood from a pine. The wood is rapidly decomposed by applying heat and pressure in a closed container; among the byproducts is pine tar."

das

I have images of Schemp from the Three Stooges in my head now!

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

It smells wonderful, though - like smoked sausages!

Now there's a scent ye don't smell everytime ye nuzzle up close to someone. LOL

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Pine tar's also great for athlete's foot. Never had a problem when working a tall ship.

Here's my speculation:

Pine tar was available. It was commonly used in the rigging of vessels for preservation of standing rigging, as well as in the seams for waterproofing. Sailors would get covered in pine tar anyway, so either they actively put pine tar in their hair to keep the ques out of the way (if anyone's been sailing with long hair, they and those around them know the horrors that can ensue), or they just got pine tar in their hair from working. The long hair was just the style of the day. Any 'hair care' benefits, were probably not known back then, nor were they cared about much by the common Jack Tar.

Coastie B)

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg