Boots

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, my own personal experience is that barefoot is fine for decks, perhaps even more comfortable and practical than wearing shoes, except on cold days where shoes are a must. In the rigging shoes are essential - I think that's one of the biggest misconceptions - anyone who sails regularly will probably agree (I know Royaliste does) that in the rigging you wear shoes, any shoes, barefoot just kills.

Ok, that makes sense, but now the question becomes what type of deck shoes did the average seaman wear? Not trying to get off the subject of boots, just being curious.

You know what I don't understand? When people who aren't interested in historical accuracy see the words "historically accurate", why do they get so inflamed with anger?

Not trying to get all bent out of shape by chiming in on a subject that is historically accurate, just stating my point of view.

When I see the word "fantasy pirate", I know that post isn't for me. I might read it for fun or to see what other people do. But I don't take it to pertain to my enjoyment of what I do. And I sure as hell don't take it as an attack.

Not picking on you Kass, but I am not exactly a historicaly accurate pirate. In fact I would be what you would call a Fantasy Pirate, however I didn't anything as an attack just being curious only

we ALL dig pirates. I'm okay, you're okay, get it?

We Got It Sista!! Now have a drink on me!! :lol:

Shipwreck

Adventurer of Independent Means

TALL SAILS AND MERMAIDS TAILS, THIS BE THE LIFE FOR ME

"THEM THAT DIE WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES"

bnnr2.jpg

Whoaaa Pete... you must be having some night.

I need to thank Foxe for saving my poor fingers, as you guys know i like to go on and on.

But just to chime in a bit on Gages post.

I'll spare you the quotin'

But you have to admit that an artist that lived in the Early 18th century would be infinately more familar with how sailors and people in general looked. All he would have to do is look out the window to see what coats and shoes looked like.

Again, nobody on the "authentic" side is trying to tell the other side what to wear.....

Remember, those that are trying their best to actually look like 1717 pirate (or whatever time period) have certain constraints. No one can ever be 100% but its the desire to get there that we all share (on the authentic side).

For us, boots are not acceptable because it hasn't been proven that, if worn at all, were worn in any significant numbers.

To us, common isn't a bad word.... its a goal!

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

The debate over Boots VS Shoes has me confused. Did Skull pyrate Carter ever decide on a pair? Was he browbeaten into (straight-lasted) shoes? Will he post pics when he gets 'em (whatever 'em turns out to be)? Or has he been driven off by the whole hijacking thing?

Pirate Petee: A tall tankard of ale will suit me fine.

--Captain Bob

Not picking on you Kass, but I am not exactly a historicaly accurate pirate. In fact I would be what you would call a Fantasy Pirate, however I didn't anything as an attack just being curious only

we ALL dig pirates. I'm okay, you're okay, get it?

We Got It Sista!! Now have a drink on me!! :huh:

Oh no, John! I didn't mean you specifically! I didn't think you were taking anything as an attack. I was just musing and my post just happened to come right after yours. Just chance, that. Not commenting on anything you said.

Like I said, I like fantasy pirates. Nothing I say about historical accuracy should ever be taken as an attack on fantasy pirates. That's all I was trying to say. :huh:

Now start sharing that ale! :huh:

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Oh no, John! I didn't mean you specifically! I didn't think you were taking anything as an attack. I was just musing and my post just happened to come right after yours. Just chance, that. Not commenting on anything you said.

Like I said, I like fantasy pirates. Nothing I say about historical accuracy should ever be taken as an attack on fantasy pirates. That's all I was trying to say. 

No problem, didn't take it personal at all Luv :lol::lol:

Shipwreck

Adventurer of Independent Means

TALL SAILS AND MERMAIDS TAILS, THIS BE THE LIFE FOR ME

"THEM THAT DIE WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES"

bnnr2.jpg

I still will be gettin' my boots, however, due to an unfortunate accident I experienced with an undocumented immigrant who is breaking the law (read: that makes it illegal) by living in a place he doesn't have the legal right to do so, because he's too lazy to do it the proper way, which means he drives on the streets illegally, without insurance (can you tell I'm still not happy about the incident).

anyways, it has put me a bit behind on having "disposable income" and since I've also decided to quit my weekend job, freeing me to do freelance work that hasn't come yet, The boots are on hold. I'll probly be borrowing petee's boots/shoes until I can, which shouldn't be tooo long. ANd then I 'll post 'em here.

Since we're on about Fantasy Pirates

I liked one of the comments on that page......

Sexy and Sleek

Hummmm.... Sexy and Sleek...Fantasy Pyrate...... :lol: oops..... never mind......

I don't think that was the kindda "Fantasy Pyrate" Story was typing about.... :lol:

I find the feedback commentary an interesting milepost to the human condition. Which one of you wags was running amok over there?

From

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7135675.html

These boots hold up well to getting soaked - I have a pair of boots like this in size 14. I like to swim/wade/shower in them. I've been doing this in them for about a year and they are holding up well.

Dances for nickels.

I find the feedback commentary an interesting milepost to the human condition. Which one of you wags was running amok over there?

From

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7135675.html

These boots hold up well to getting soaked - I have a pair of boots like this in size 14. I like to swim/wade/shower in them. I've been doing this in them for about a year and they are holding up well.

Size 14? My guess is it it weren't a wench in them!

• 6 years later...

Just playing devils advocate for a second . . .

One might draw similarities in boating, do people wear footware when boating today (small pleasure craft not yachts) and the answer would be for the majority "no" once on board the shoes come off. However, the same people will wear shoes when engaging in something like fishing to help protect their feet should a stray hook etc wind up on deck. Rewind a few centuries if I had shoes I would definatly wear them if there was a possibility of combat for protection.

id.jpg

• 2 months later...