Boots

Okay, yes I've seen SCA Boots. And yes, I looked for a similiar posting in Plunder, to no avail. I was sure I'd seen a post before, but here goes,

I've got $$ coming back from Uncle Sam, and after I spoil myself with a new computer (imac g5 it's sooo sweet), anyways I need a pair of boots.

Where would you scurvy dogs suggest I go?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try

dresslikeapirate.com

I got mine there, and if'n the gent's are as good as the wenches, I would highly recommend em.

Mine are comfotable and look good, note, that I just got them so haven't worn them a whole lot, but so far so good.

easy on the coin too!

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

If you got the coin, there's no other choice than caboots.com - $250 to $350 will get you boots that will last a lifetime. You absolutely get what you pay for. I have a pair and wouldn't trade them for my brother, sister or mother.

Think long term - if you're a pirate for 10 years that's $25 to $35 a year.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

As with most things in the pirate hobby, It depends on what you are looking for .

As the resident a-hole and broken record, I will chime in with some booty goodness.

But first, if you are interested in correct period shoes, save some money ( or start saving some money) for the Authentic shoe group buy (there is a group buy thread in the plunder section for a pair of shoes based on the ones found on the Whydah 1717 wreck... approx $135)

Boots for Piracy

I'll back Hurricane up by saying that you really get what you pay for in the boot category. I have a historical footwear fetish so they are important to me, but I don't think the majority of the hobby cares if shoes/boots are correct for their period or not

I have seen more "correct" historical costumes ruined with bad or out of period shoes than I care to count.... it really is the Achilles’ heel of a good impression.

There has been some discussion on this board (and any other board that discusses pirate minutia) about the appropriateness of boots for the Golden Age of Piracy. There doesn’t seem to be much evidence in the pictorial record… Foxe has posted an interesting snippet on a map that shoes “someone” walking through the picture scene with boots. But we can’t tell if they are landsmen or sailors in the context of the picture.

85754722.jpg

I think there is another one of some French sailors with some natives but I cant recall where it is at the moment.

The rest of the pictures that we have of GAoP pirates and sailors all seem to be wearing shoes. From Teach to Rackam, they all have shoes on, not boots.

I think that if you were doing an earlier period, it would be more feasible to have boots. Hurricane is doing a pre-GAoP Morgan impression, and since Morgan seems to have been “the MAN” when it comes to piracy, privateering, and Govnor’ing, it would be plausible to have a nice set of boots.

ASIDE to HURRICANE

Way cool signature photo dude! I like your Morgan site too. Good luck with that venture.

Anyway, at this point you are probably hoping that I will shut the F up about boots because you have already decided that is what you want.

Soooo…. If I was going to get a pair of boots, and had the coin to spend I would probably go for some by Sarah Juniper http://www.sarahjuniper.co.uk/18c.html

The style of boot is actually an earlier (late 17th century that is) boot. Correct boots should be straight lasted (not right and left but one that is made to fit on either foot). Sarah makes one that has all the correct bells and whistles (like a timber heel). She doesn’t give away her boots or her time though so I hope that Uncle Sam’s tax kickback is hefty.

17c6.jpg

Good luck

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Oh how true., Yes High Quality Wrong Boots is that what you mean to say?

May as well spend the 400 to be worng., shoot I did.

Its important Carter for you to be told your tastes are incorrect. Someone needs to tell you this. They just have too. Its not really important what you like., your just going to pay for them., Its US., see we might have to look at them one day.

Be careful in choosing Carter., I have a pair of CABOOTS. They are my favorite boots. But I am way out of line and should be flamed or ignored. Its important to thrash people publicly and quickly on their first post before we even know who they are about things like this too.

The boots are alot like a Kristi Smart frock., Any history buff will let you know they are in very bad taste., phony and not period. Very Hollywood.

Remember I have a pair but my gear is garbage really and vampire fairy. Let us not forget to trash the owners of Caboots if Joey from Champion Attitude tries to log on as a new member the way Kristy got fried during her first post.

(Yes that person WAS KRISTY WHO LOGGED IN)

She thought she would try to become a member..., but the people here apparantly didnt even give her a chance. Then they continued to create new topics to make fun of her with more Ebay fun.

I can go copy the quotes if you would all like to re-read them for more fun for your selves.

Unlike many here she actually owns a production company desiging and earns a living and employes people., who sew for a living.

I can imagine the coats she can make that are period if she wanted to or was asked to....., or was introduced to some ideas ..., But I guess it wont happen. I imagine she was very impressed with the welcome she recieved. Too bad to.,A woman like that who sells to such a large client base could infact help promote clothing I would think would benefit our hobby....perhaps even help popularize it a bit more. Everything helps really does if you enjoy the pirate the way I do.

But Call me stupid too. I am prepared for it. I am sure its me., I am the hypocryte here., I know its me.

I believe there was a thread a week or so ago about how to welcome new members. Perhaps we should continue to burn them ., that will certainly help the membership too. Too bad nobody really meant anything good by it.

So be careful choosing. I am sure youll be O.K. Choosing wrong since you are known here already. After all many here are period correct as well except the boots., and thats o.k. because we know eachother and becasue boots are differant than a coat.

Its just new people that need assault and Tune up .

I am trying to take a long hard look at myself., I am sure people will not like my post killing it would probably be the first thing to enter into some peoples minds., but perhaps if some here get honest and take a look at their own behavior in an honest frame of mind., maybe something went wrong. To bad too.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Now I can see getting period everything if you are a re-enactor, etc, BUT if Carter is just a playtron has I think many of us are, does it really matter? after all this is "playtime" for a lot of us. Some take it more serious then others. some want more historically correct others like the hollywood version. Has for myself, Im just a playtron. not a re-enactor. I cant afford what I would want, so I get something close. If that offends someone, oh well Im there for me anyway.

" Never knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that"

' Whatever is not nailed down is MINE. Whatever I can pry loose, is not nailed down."

"I think that if you were doing an earlier period, it would be more feasible to have boots. Hurricane is doing a pre-GAoP Morgan impression, and since Morgan seems to have been “the MAN” when it comes to piracy, privateering, and Govnor’ing, it would be plausible to have a nice set of boots.

ASIDE to HURRICANE

Way cool signature photo dude! I like your Morgan site too. Good luck with that venture."

------

Thanks much for the kind words. I should have mentioned in my missive that I use my boots primarily for pre-GAoP these days and have a nice set of buckled shoes for GAoP. And hopefully I'll be upgrading those once the Group Buy project here is ready to go...

My first pair of pirate boots (which I still have) have been with me now for 20 years. Can't beat the investment in your footwear, both for quality and comfort.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Did someone say boots? :rolleyes::lol:

Boots

These boots are a reasonable price, and pretty authentic and period.

0100182_L_000.jpg

cav05.jpg

ter_borch_military_gallant.jpg

The same style dates from the early 1600’s seen in these pictures.

1700militaryboots.jpg

BootHeel.jpg

To the 1700’s seen in this picture. Which I think Foxe has the other half.

pc2a09blksm.jpg

These are the boots I own from Caboots very nice and high quality.

Boots.jpg

They look very similar to these. Which are from the shipwreck Batavia. Yes I know it was 1629 or 1628, I’ can’t remember. My point though is that someone on that ship had boots and if the style above lasted for many years, all the way through the GAoP

Then why couldn’t the others and that’s good enough for me. Although my kit really isn’t specific to a certain year in the GAoP. My kit is period, but not super authentic, which I mean by that is that the patterns and material are period, but I sewed them by machine and the buttons probably aren’t either, but they are cool lookin.

B)

Petee-2.jpg

I will not comment on the comments about whether they should or should not be worn.

I WILL say that the CAboots are very nicely made and fit well. HOWEVER!

You WILL need to take care of them and have them re-soled, etc. if you sail on a tall ship that heels over frequently and drenches you in salt water on a daily basis.

Although it was a great way of distessing them I must say.

Another good thing about nice tall boots...they keep your lower legs from getting black powder burns when firing cannons. :P

This subject has seem to run aground... All hands abandon ship for the nearest beachhead before it comes to fistacuffs.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

We should really stir the pot and get into the use of spurs.... :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

They'd have to be mighty tiny spurs. Do ya ride those things bareback?

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

The spikes are sorta like what noses and ears feel like, not really soft, but not stiff and pokey, either.

The one in the picture was about 6.5 inches from snout to the tip of his tail. He's a Barbour's Seahorse named Spike. I sold him to a friend so her girl seahorse could have a mate.

The largest known seahorse species (Hippocampus kelloggi) grows up to 11" long, so yes, they'd have to be very tiny spurs. :)

I know about the dressing to period and what not, but anyone who knows me in my outfit, knows I'm more about trying to capture that feeling of the time, not trying to redocument it. I was wearing those tacky 19 dollar boot toppers, and they got me thru coronaberg, ojai and our holloween pyrate fest, barely.

I'm sorry about the girl who got flamed, that was innappropriate, however...pyrate.

I think Petee showed us some evidence that it wasn't unknown to wear boots, and I am inclined to believe boots make better feetwear for a person in a pirates' life. especially the style most referred to with the cuffs that come down. As a grunt, I couldn't imagine that lifestyle in shoes, even if we do have evidence stating otherwise.

Thanks for the links, and it was the potc boots I was looking for, just forgot where they were to be found, and was curious about other sites and styles.

Thanks.

Now drink some rum everyone and shuttup, already. Besides, boots or shoes, they are just something to put under some lasses' bed, anyways. :lol:

I think Petee showed us some evidence that it wasn't unknown to wear boots, and I am inclined to believe boots make better feetwear for a person in a pirates' life. especially the style most referred to with the cuffs that come down. As a grunt, I couldn't imagine that lifestyle in shoes, even if we do have evidence stating otherwise.

"History be damned." Particularly if it doesn't fit into what I want to do. :lol:

I think I'm going to start doing WWII re-enactments and wear flip flops because Army boots just aren't me.

- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

For 50 hours a week lately, I'm in the basement of a corporate headquarters, slaving in the pixel mines (okay, doing computer graphics, but it really is a grind). I'm not a historian, a period re-enactor, an experimental anthropologist, or a serious period thespian. Nor am I a drama club diva, a ren faire floozy, a performer/musician, or a crafter. I have a fantasy about being a pirate on the high seas. I just want to play, for a little fun, a change of pace, some release. When I get together with my friends and we play pirates, I want my outfit to be recognizably Pirate. I would hope that if a more dedicated pirate re-enactor were to see me thusly dressed, he wouldn't treat me with scorn and derision, but maybe that's too much to expect.

For example, due to budget constraints (I’d rather spend my budget on booze and presents for my friends than on my kit), for this year’s pirate party in April, I’m planning on wearing my Storyville tricorn from th’ MacKay, a paisley headscarf, my green Captain Morgan t-shirt, black jeans cut off at the knee, stripy stockings and my green converse, with plenty o’ punk skull & crossbones accessories. I plan to say “Aaaarrrr” a lot and chew more scenery than Robert Newton on Ecstasy. The horror!

By next year’s party, or maybe even the one we have in September I hope to have a short linen seaman’s jacket, with hemp sandals and MAYBE either breeches or slops. Will I still camp it up with the “Matey” and “Yo ho ho”? You bet. And maybe I’ll be wearing my tricorn or a Monmouth cap to a ren faire or a pirate fest here or there. For the sheer joy of not being a middle-aged suburban corporate slave for a while. Because I like to think of the freedom and adventure of a pirate’s short, vivid life. Because my personality is loud and bombastic and baudy and just fits a pirate much better than what I got born as this turn of the wheel. That’s the long and short of it.