A Material Question

I am doin reasearch for a story, and need to know was velvet a fabric used in the 17th century?

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

Oh my God, YES!!! Velvet was a prized fabric in the 17th century.

Now, that being said, it wasn't the nasty rayon/acetate/polyester velvet that you find in fabric stores today. Even if you are on a budget, I advise you to avoid velvet if it has the words "polyester", "acetate" or "nylon" anywhere near it. Outside of not being period-appropriate, it stinks to high heaven if it ever gets wet. And you sweat like a stinking sweaty thing in it.

Another word of caution: most velvets marketed as "silk velvet" have a silk back and a rayon pile. While this is not nearly as awful as polyester, the rayon pile is often too shiny to look proper for the period. But it depends entirely upon how "period" you want to be. It is a good compromise if you just want to avoid poly velvets.

Cotton velvet/velveteen is your friend... I use this for everything. It ROCKS! It breathes well AND it looks gorgeous.

Voila me and my girls in 16thc German made from cotton velveteen:

Me and the Girls

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Thank you so much! You all look so beautiful!!

I love the hats!! Will you eventually sell ones like them?

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

It's entirely possible. We're totally revamping the website for relaunch on the 1st of March and we'll be selling some accessory items. Can't tell yet what exactly we'll be selling as things evolve, so please stop by often.

We do already sell a German Accessories pattern that includes the pattern for the hats though. It's on our site under "German" RH505.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!