I Need Disney World Advice

Capt Grey

Attention Florida pirates!

My family and I are taking a BIG vacation to Disney World in February (February 12-16) and I need some information from those who actually live there and go to the parks. We have a planning guide video we've been watching but they tend to sugar-coat everything. I want real answers.

First, how crowded is the resort in February?

Second, what rides would you recommend as "must-see" for 11-year old and 6-year old boys?

Third, what is the weather generally like?

My youngest is high-functioning autistic, so his maturity is about at a 4- or 5-year old level. We go to Disneyland a lot so I'm looking for things that would be new to us. We're only visiting 3 of the 4 parks because we have the original "Animal Kingdom" in San Diego (San Diego Wild Animal Park).

Thanks for any help you can give this "left-coast" pirate. I'd love to meet up if any of you are available. :ph34r:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

You are skipping Animal Kingdom? I wouldn't. It puts San Diego to shame, my dear. The safari tour in the park is one of the most awesome.

If I were to skip a park, I would skip Magic Kingdom. Exact same layout, pretty much the same rides as Disneyland. Although POTC is slightly different from what I understand.

My HFA (age 11, developmental 6) loved Animal Kingdom and Epcot. You have to see the firework shows at MGM and at Epcot, both are awesome. Don't hesitate to use the GAC pass. You'll need it.

We stayed at the Beach Club. If you are staying there, make sure you get a room with a FULL balcony, not one of those doors to nowhere. It's a great place to park with the dh while the kids are passing out. You can also request a refrigerator in your room. Helps with keeping a few inexpensive snacks on hand for the kids.

I've been twice to Disneyworld, both in conjunction with the Disney Cruise. The last time was October 2004, right before dh "resigned". :ph34r: As soon as I hit the lottery, I'm off again to the Caribbean. :ph34r:

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Just a taste to wet your appetite.

MGM Fireworks show video

My favorite source for information on Disney Parks

Dis Boards

Another of my sources for information

Theme Park Insider

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks for the links, Pearl. We're actually doing a Disney Cruise Land and Sea package with 4 days at the parks and 3 on the ship. Mitchell (my youngest) watches the videos for the parks almost every day and he's really excited about this.

I consider Animal Kingdom a "theme park"; the Wild Animal Park is about preserving species and does lots of research in conjunction with the San Diego Zoo. Being very science-minded, I support the research aspect more than the "play" aspect. But our passes are for four days so we might check it out.

I've spent a lot of time reading reviews of the cruise by "real" people; especially ones during the timeframe we will be there. The last time I was at Disney World and Epcot was on my honeymoon in 1985 (it was a "Mickey Mouse Honeymoon" :lol: ). I know a lot has changed since then.

I also have Mitchell's Special Assistance Pass that we get from Disneyland when we visit; I'll be getting one for him at these parks as well - which should help us if it's crowded.

hook_banner2.jpg

Animal Kingdom for sure. It's not just a theme park. My 7 year old love learning about the different foot prints and dungs in identifying animals and playing with the video cameras were you can zoom in and watch the animals. The place has a greater tilt on science and preservation than you would think. The safari ride is a little kitchzy. But you can go to the Lodge for free and they have their own savannah out by the pool where you can see some of the animals. The Dinosaur section is a lot of fun - they have a huge play area with dinosaur bones. Plus there's a good raft ride there. Oh, A Bug's Life can get a little scary if your children don't like the dark. But the stink bug is great.

MGM - The shows are awesome - I particularly like the backstage tour (PotC artifact are right near the front) and the Raiders of the Lost Ark stunt show. And be sure not to miss the stunt car show - go there first and get a fast pass. The thing fills up quickly and it is amazing! There aren't very many kid friendly rides there but lots of good shows. The Muppet show is a lot of fun. The Secrets of Narnia isn't worth anyone's time. A lot of promise in the one part and just seven props on the back side stuck together.

EPCOT - For kids - not enough to do for an entire day. This is a better afternoon to evening stop. Although the World Showcase is nice. My 7 year old likes to do the activity where he can collect different things from each country. And he likes the Mexico and Scandanavian rides there. Stay away from Mission Space at all costs. My son's favorite is test track. Most of the exhibits can get a little ho-hum to youngsters although Innoventions is a lot of fun and has things like virtual baseball as well as some nice educational exhibits like finding your way through a house identifying fire hazards.....

Magic Kingdom - who doesn't like it no matter where? Their are some differences and I just like the place. Plus getting there is half the fun because the parking lot is way on the other side of the place and you can either monorail or take the ferry. The monorail also stops at the Polynesian and Grand Floridian, which are fun stops on their own. Be sure to visit Philharmagic - it's over by the Peter Pan ride - a great 3D movie with lots of effects.

If you need another day to fill, Downtown Disney works. DisneyQuest is there - five floors of amazing video games, including a virtual PotC game that is an absolute blast, literally. Shooting cannons at ships and ghost pirates is always great and the virtual Jungle Cruise is another goody. From there there are shops, movie theaters and later at night, Pleasure Island. My son loves the Adventurer's Club, a 30s era hunting lodge filled with whacky improv characters who put on great shows in the library, stuff on walls that talk, and bar stools that magically lower and raise. Almost all of Pleasure Island is kid friendly and it's a good place to go at night. There's also an improv comedy club, Raglan Road, an authentic Irish pub and so much more.

The weather is usually mild here in February - mid 70s. Very nice time of year to visit and not as crowded as the holidays, spring break or summer, when even the locals stay away.

Can't tell I live nearby, can ya?

-- Captain

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

My son loves the Adventurer's Club, a 30s era hunting lodge filled with whacky improv characters who put on great shows in the library, stuff on walls that talk, and bar stools that magically lower and raise. Almost all of Pleasure Island is kid friendly and it's a good place to go at night. There's also an improv comedy club, Raglan Road, an authentic Irish pub and so much more.

Kongaloosh! The Adventurer's Club is fun and the food at Raglan Road is excellent! Try the fish stew - it's a meal in itself.

I heard that the two chess playing skeletons that I am currently using as an avatar are only in Disney World. (That may be wrong, but I heard that.) They are in the right hand line when you go to get on the ride. This alone made the POTC ride worth seeing for me.

I recommend going with Captain Sophia - she knows all the secrets to getting the most rides out of a day at the park.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

ooo, disney...

i dunno what you would like there, or what kids would like, last time i went, my brothers were 11 and 9.

i do suggest doing a large park, then a smaller park, then a large park, then a smaller park. that way, you dont completely exhaust yourselfs two days in a row. epcot and magic kingdom are bigger, and animal kingdom and mgm are smaller.

and fastpass is a good thing. believe me.

What's wrong with Mission Space? My oldest and I want to go on that one. And Hurricane, didn't you say the Stitch show was too scary for your child?

The car/motorcycle stunt show is very high on our priority list. We saw some scenes on the video and everyone got excited. Test Track and Pirates are scheduled to be closed during our trip. And we already have "It's Tough To Be A Bug" here in CA. That's too bad about the Narnia exhibit; but we may have already seen the costumes at Comic-Con International last year.

My oldest fell in love with Disney Quest but we don't have the $$ to pay for it. This trip alone is costing everything we've got.

With my youngest being autistic, we get a Special Assistance Pass that lets us go through the handicap entrance - we get to do a lot of rides even when Disneyland is crowded.

I'm surprised so many people are recommending Animal Kingdom because relatives of ours that went were not impressed with the park. They rated the Wild Animal Park much higher (although people from our park were hired as consultants for Animal Kingdom).

Whatever we do at the parks, it will certainly be an adventure. Thanks for all your help. :(

hook_banner2.jpg

Capt. Grey,

Haven't heard from you yet, so I thought I would throw out a few more on the thread.

1 - The dinosaur area and ride at Animal Kingdom are worth alone going to the park. My guys loved the Dinosaur ride and Animal Kingdom. If POTC is going to be closed, Magic Kingdom is exactly like Disneyland.

2-Mission Space had a four year old die on it last year. The ride is too intense for smaller bodies. Even older people have complained of neck and back pain after this ride. Test Track will be scary enough for the smaller one and intense enough for the HFA.

3-Don't expect much from the Oceaner Lab on the Wonder. The last time we went was on the Magic. This was the first time HFA was over the age of 8 and no longer in the Oceaner CLUB. The Lab sucked. The computers were old; the software was old; and everything kept shutting down. The counselors tried forcing DS to go along with the group. He kept freaking out and kept signing himself out going back to the stateroom. He was happiest there unless I came and got him to bring to a show.

3-He loved the shows and going to the movies. The dancing at night in the family club was too overwhelming for him. Ear plugs helped but the lights drove him crazy too. Sunglasses at night would have helped there.

4-Don't hesitate to order the kids room service so you and dh can enjoy the restaurants on the ship. Room service is included (except tip) and it will save you stressing out on trying to get kids dressed when they are really tired. (Especially Triton's)

5-Do bring the kids to Animator's Palate. Order an appetizer to keep them occuppied so they can see the show. Arrive a little late so the show is already started when you get there.

Do not order the Passporter. All the information in there, you can find online.

Do bring laynards to attach to your "Key" to so you don't lose it.

Don't overpack. No one is going to "police" your wardrobe, so pack comfortability. I had 3 pairs of shoes: walking, beach and partying.

Do get schedule yourself a Cabana Massage for Castaway Cay right away. Try to get early in the morning so you won't be covered in sand.

Don't order the snorkeling gear for Castaway Cay. Unless your kids have snorkeled alot before, they may not use it and you will be out money. There are plenty and if they want, you can get it when you get to the island.

Do check out the Dis Boards. They are great source of information.

Bon Voyage.

~Black Hearted Pearl

What's wrong with Mission Space? My oldest and I want to go on that one. And Hurricane, didn't you say the Stitch show was too scary for your child?

The car/motorcycle stunt show is very high on our priority list. We saw some scenes on the video and everyone got excited. Test Track and Pirates are scheduled to be closed during our trip. And we already have "It's Tough To Be A Bug" here in CA. That's too bad about the Narnia exhibit; but we may have already seen the costumes at Comic-Con International last year.

My oldest fell in love with Disney Quest but we don't have the $$ to pay for it. This trip alone is costing everything we've got.

With my youngest being autistic, we get a Special Assistance Pass that lets us go through the handicap entrance - we get to do a lot of rides even when Disneyland is crowded.

I'm surprised so many people are recommending Animal Kingdom because relatives of ours that went were not impressed with the park. They rated the Wild Animal Park much higher (although people from our park were hired as consultants for Animal Kingdom).

Whatever we do at the parks, it will certainly be an adventure. Thanks for all your help. B)

Mission Space is a rough ride - even adults get sick on it. It's a very intense experience. Some of the astronauts that went on it said it was akin to space training, and they got a bit urpy on it as well. Lots of shakes and motion - after all, it's basically a centrifuge.

So I think it's a bit intense for many kids - all the adults I know won't even go on it down here.

The web site doesn't show PotC closed at DisneyWorld then.

These will be:

* Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin: Closed for Refurbishment [February 1, 2006 to February 8, 2006]

* Liberty Square Riverboat: Closed for Refurbishment [February 1, 2006 to February 28, 2006]

Hope that helps!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

See, I knew this was the place to come for real information. I love that pic, Pearl! We're not dressing for the pirate party (hubby won't let me bring my coat B) ) but I will be wearing my cursed coin that I got from Harbor Master. B)

I heard about the death of the 4-year old. If it's a centrifuge then my oldest will probably pass, he can get a little motion sick (whereas I have no problems with that).

My youngest is high-functioning so he loves lights and dancing and fast rides. He's the one that wants to go on Test Track. Except the site said it will be closed. I'm looking forward to being in the family lounge, it looks like fun.

I figured the shipboard counselors have no clue about autism but we're not planning to leave the kids there for any huge amounts of time. Mitchell will be in the Club and he should be fine there for the short time we plan to leave him.

In fact, he's so excited about the trip he's dragging around his new rolling suitcase all over the house. He's really ready to go! B)

hook_banner2.jpg

Kongaloosh! The Adventurer's Club is fun and the food at Raglan Road is excellent! Try the fish stew - it's a meal in itself.

I heard that the two chess playing skeletons that I am currently using as an avatar are only in Disney World. (That may be wrong, but I heard that.) They are in the right hand line when you go to get on the ride. This alone made the POTC ride worth seeing for me.

I recommend going with Captain Sophia - she knows all the secrets to getting the most rides out of a day at the park.

I think you're right on the skeletons...I haven't heard of any others perched in the chess playing position at any of the other PoTC attractions.

You have two sons heading out on this trip Cpt Grey? Definately take them to Tom Sawyer's Island. I haven't been there myself for quite a few years, but do know they did a bit of spiffing up of the area a year or so ago, and added on more touches that connected with the name (I hear there are the occasional roaming characters of Tom and Huck there too).

If you're staying at a resort while you're seeing the parks during your stay, see if you can head out early, as the resort guests do get in an hour early at specific parks (see disneyworld.com for details). I love getting in early myself (as early as a local can get in), as I can avoid most of the foot traffic that hits around lunch time. If you're not into early rising, see if you can split your day into two pieces (morning and evening are great times for maximum attraction riding), and head out of the parks at or after lunch to nap, or head over to the Downtown Disney/Market place area, which has plenty to do for folks of all ages.

February shouldn't be too crowded...I'd say it's low to moderate (compared to September or January). One definate item to bring - an umbrella (or four), just in case a downpour decides to happen. :P

Mission Space is a fun ride for some, and not so fun for others. It all rests with how you react to "spinny rides", as I used to call them. The G-force is intense on this one, but if you follow the suggestions prior to riding, you should do ok (don't drink alcohol right before or after though...that made me a little dizzy). :o

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

I believe everyone has given you good advice on the theme parks here. We went this past weekend and it was so cold and windy it felt more like Chicago than Orlando.

Magic Kingdom is a must. The atmosphere there alone is worth every cent. We hit POTC first thing, great ride, cool vibe, and fun for the kids.

I tried taking video with the digital camera but they didn't come out well.

Swiss Family treehouse is cool. Not anything to do but fun to walk up and around on.

Thunder Mountain-Awesome roller coaster...ride it!!! I went on Space Mountain last time it's great also. Splash Mountain-Excellent. Was cold as hell afterwards being all wet and with how windy it was but fun fun fun.

Haunted Mansion is OK...great fx. Had to warm up some in there hehe!

Hall of Presidents was educational and they look realistic. G.W. Bush spoke and didn't mis-pronounce anything.

Buzz Lightyear closed-Bummer!

Did alot of other stuff too some good, some ok, but the whole experience of Disney's Magic Kingdom is still #1 of all the parks IMO.

Did Animal Kingdom all day Sunday, but was quite disappointed. Just seemed like a really big Zoo although it had tons of educational stuff and lots of info on animals. The Safari ride is worth the time if you have a park hopper and the River Rapids ride looked really fun, I gotta try it next time.

But Dinoland for the kids wasn't at all what I expected, you actually had to PAY to play games in a Disney park you already paid to get into. Can't see it!!! The rides were free but I'm not paying to play after I've already dished out $$$ to get in...sorry!! The main rides like the Rollercoaster, Safari, and Rapids are nice but if you only have limited time spend it at Epcot instead or if you have park hopper get a fast pass for the AK rides and do them.

I only had 2 days to do the Disney thing, it takes at least 5 or 6 to get in everything you might want to do. Next time it's Epcot for sure and MGM. Downtown Disney looks like alot of fun--shows, clubs, concerts. I gotta go back when I have more time.

8889961564257193a222f0.gifmirageus1.gif

Roger that, Black Jack. :lol:

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Of course, having children means that any plans or schedules I make will be thrown out the window the minute we get to the parks. :o

hook_banner2.jpg

• 1 month later...

I don't know who scheduled the cold freeze for my Florida trip, but the family managed despite the temperature dropping to 30 degrees on Sunday, Feb 12. We even stayed at the Magic Kingdom until 11pm that day. Good thing the shops had lots of mittens and jackets we could buy. B) But the weather warmed up for our cruise to the Bahamas.

Thank'ee again fer all yer advice, mates. I be right jealous o'those that be closer to Disney-MGM Studios fer them Star Wars Weekends. B)

hook_banner2.jpg

I will after I download all 178 of them. :P

Here's a picture of me first mate at the "Pirates in the Caribbean Party":

bob_pirate.jpg

Fortunately I have a program that makes a photo album automatically.

hook_banner2.jpg