Ireland

Rummy3

I'm Back!

Had a great time. Spent most of it in and around Droghede. We did take a day trip up to Belfast which was amazing but not what I thought it would be.

My personal high Light was drinking Purcheen in the Branigan Woolen Mill. A type of Irish moon shine!

Rummy: my wife is the keeper of the sacred digital camera so it might be a while but I'll see what I can do!

I might go again next year.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ireland is easy to do.

Tips: Go off season (not during the summer). Pick up a DK book on Ireland (much better than Frommer and with cool pictures...

...Look into Student Hostels

One note: Ireland isn't always what people think. The coffee table/ movie set/ pagan fey image of Ireland might crumble if you keep that kind of thing sacred.

It is a great country.

What he said. B)

I was going to suggest May but see you have already booked. I was there for three weeks in December ...about 15 years ago :lol: too long away! Anyway, the locals said the best time to visit is the end of May, the tourist haven't started arriving and everything is in bloom.

Your plans sound fabulous!

Plan to wear layers, the temps are cool and damp but in the dampness a little exertion can warm you mighty fast. If you can make the layer aginst the skin something that will draw the moisture away from your skin but dry fast you'll be most comfortable. You can fing these things through companies that handel camping geer and such. I think LLBean or LandsEnd may have them also. Well worth the investment.

My aunt and uncle are going to Ireland at the end of this month. I'm pretty envious of them, I'd love to go to the country where most of my heritage is. All the rest of the family gets to do while they're gone is house sit and take care of their pets. Ugh! :(

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Gang I'm completely serious when I have posted that travel to Ireland is not some "Epic" journey. You CAN do it on a retail workers salery. I am not a rich pyrate and I have gone 4 times.

I have gone 3 time with Marshall Fields Travel group out of Minneapolis. These are short weekends but you see a TON and get a very personalized tour staying often 4 or 5 star hotels.

The first time I backpacked and stayed at Student Hostels. Easy, cheap, and you don't have to be a student (infact I think kids under 16 might be free at many locations if traveling with an adult).

Ireland is enjoying growth with the EU. Don't just wish, do! You will be glad you did.

I might go again next year if the price is right. This year it was under $1K per person for the flight, hotel, moter coach, event locations, and 2 meals a day cooked by a Chef!

• 2 weeks later...

wooHoo - St Patrick's day turned into a full weekend of partying! We made our way down to San Diego early on Friday afternoon and I was treated to a surprise suite right on the beach! Of course with an ocean at our feet, we had to do a little (perfect)celebrating and then out for the big night. The rain should have put a damper on the festivities, but when you are with the love of your life, there is just nothing that can interfere! Huzzah to the Irish! Can't wait till St Patrick's day next year!

• 2 weeks later...

I love Ireland, too. But much more I love Scotland. It's more rough and wild, and there is nothing greater (except being a pirate) then roving across the highlands or riding there.

In Ireland I love crossing over Eirne and Shannon Rivers in a houseboat. It's a lot of fun, it's a boat, it's a home for the nights, and you may dock whereever you want to.

All this is just one hour by aircraft away from Hamburg.

Dreaming...

Jack

• 2 months later...

WooHoo! ... Check out this ship! I was looking on the internet at the festivities we'll be enjoying in Dublin over St Patrick's Day and found this!

Jeanne Johnson

There is so much to be thankful for - with a heritage from a country the size of a small state - I love being an Irish decendant! :rolleyes:

PBS had a special on earlier this week that documented a road trip through Northern Ireland. Looks like I'm going to have to make at least a stop-over there, at least to visit Bushmills and have me a whisky-tasting!! :huh: This is going to be great!

:)